/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Do you sport Nike?

'Abd Al-Maajid
04-09-2010, 03:59 PM
Nike, is a major publicly traded sportswear and equipment supplier based in the United States. It is the world's leading supplier of athletic shoes and apparel and a major manufacturer of sports equipment with revenue in excess of $18.6 billion USD.

The company was founded on January 25, 1964 as Blue Ribbon Sports by Bill Bowerman and Philip Knight, and officially became Nike, Inc. in 1978. The company takes its name from Nike , the Greek goddess of victory.

^ swoosh?
In Greek mythology, Nike was a goddess who personified victory throughout the ages of the ancient Greek culture. She is known as the Winged Goddess of Victory. Depending upon the time of various myths, she was described as the daughter of Pallas (Titan) and Styx (Water)[1], and the sister of Cratos (Strength), Bia (Force), and Zelus (Rivalry). Nike and her siblings were close companions of Zeus, the dominant deity of the Greek pantheon. According to classical (later) myth, Styx brought them to Zeus when the god was assembling allies for the Titan War against the older deities. Nike assumed the role of the divine charioteer, a role in which she often is portrayed in Classical Greek art. Nike flew around battlefields rewarding the victors with glory and fame. Vulgar Goddess;D

If you could sport something branded Ram, Krishna, Buddha or something like that you can sport Nike as well.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ğħαrєєвαħ
04-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Aslaamu`Alaaykum...
Heey this is another geeky thread, i thought i`d comment on ...anyway...All i know about geeky nike is that its geeky, meaning i know Zilch,nothing about it..hmm although i think its a Brand for shoes and clothes or something..Khayrr its got nothing to with me and my life...so yeah ..Have fun discussing stuff about "Nike", what so ever that must be :|....

Wa`alaaykum Salaaam

Getoffmyback
04-09-2010, 07:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim World 12
Aslaamu`Alaaykum...
Heey this is another geeky thread, i thought i`d comment on ...anyway...All i know about geeky nike is that its geeky, meaning i know Zilch,nothing about it..hmm although i think its a Brand for shoes and clothes or something..Khayrr its got nothing to with me and my life...so yeah ..Have fun discussing stuff about "Nike", what so ever that must be :|....

Wa`alaaykum Salaaam
Zilch , zero nothing . Is it a quote from woody allen's last movie "what ever works" lol

Ğħαrєєвαħ
04-09-2010, 07:49 PM
^lol never heard of it...and im happy that way...
I just made that up :|

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ğħαrєєвαħ
04-09-2010, 07:50 PM
Edit..I meant i made up the "zilch,nothing" quote thingy :\

Nokiacrazi
04-17-2010, 02:01 PM
so basically wearing nike represents people who worship these false greek goddess', therefore should not wear nike as it is sign of unbeliever?

Al-Indunisiy
04-17-2010, 02:53 PM
so basically wearing nike represents people who worship these false greek goddess', therefore should not wear nike as it is sign of unbeliever?
Yet the beliefs of the Ancient Greeks have disappeared completely and remained as mere mythology in Europe, not a belief. So, I see no harm in it, as the company, I presume, did not have the intention of glorifying the ancient gods of Greece. Just like how I percieve the use of Garuda in Indonesian coat of arms, the use of Roman gods' names as nomenclature for planets, and the naming of the fictional cruise ship 'Poseidon'.

Al-Indunisiy
04-17-2010, 02:55 PM
But the Garuda in the Thai or Mongolian coat of arms, now that's different.

Supreme
04-17-2010, 09:33 PM
I wear Nike. I believe they're a better brand than Reebok and Adidas. But better than Umbro? I really couldn't say.

GuCcI
04-19-2010, 03:47 PM
athletic isnt my style :statisfie

Ramadhan
04-20-2010, 07:14 AM
I used to boycott Nike because in the 90s they had very serious labor violations in Indonesia, where most of their shoes were produced.
Indonesian labor activists even took the case to US court system.
But I guess most of their shoes are now made in China, where the labor standards are much more flexible.

ardianto
04-21-2010, 04:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
I used to boycott Nike because in the 90s they had very serious labor violations in Indonesia, where most of their shoes were produced.
Indonesian labor activists even took the case to US court system.
According to the report in 1997, one Indonesian labor could produce up to 100 Nike shoes per day, and they got only US$ 2.46 per day.

'Abd Al-Maajid
04-21-2010, 04:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
According to the report in 1997, one Indonesian labor could produce up to 100 Nike shoes per day, and they got only US$ 2.46 per day.
Oh My Gosh!!!! And the'll sell it for like USD 100...

Missinglinks
04-21-2010, 11:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Indunisiy
Yet the beliefs of the Ancient Greeks have disappeared completely and remained as mere mythology in Europe, not a belief. So, I see no harm in it, as the company, I presume, did not have the intention of glorifying the ancient gods of Greece. Just like how I percieve the use of Garuda in Indonesian coat of arms, the use of Roman gods' names as nomenclature for planets, and the naming of the fictional cruise ship 'Poseidon'.
you see no harm in it?
so you would wear a shirt, wherein you don't believe for 200%, with a huge cross with Jesus pbuh on it nailed, and walk trough the streets and say to the people that you had no intention at all of glorifying this "christian god". Would you dare to enter Makkah with a cross on your cap or hijaab and say no intention at all of glorifying this "christian god", its just a brand..
What is the difference to this and nike... by the way according to many sources the symbol itself means????
They chose this name as a symbol of good luck and hope of victory for sportsmen who wore this brand and propagate the symbol of this god.
This is something well known that is stated in encyclopaedias.

The Muslim believes in the Oneness of Allaah (Tawheed) and believes that victory, help and strength come from Him alone. Wearing this symbol is contrary to his belief and faith. If he has no option but to buy the products of this company, then at least he should erase their symbol and name so that it is not on his chest, foot or neck. Thus his religious commitment will be safe as will his belief (‘aqeedah).

and if you don't want to ban nike for this reason, then know what they do with the name of Allah see it yourself: http://www.plaatjesupload.nl/bekijk/200 ... 26-430.jpg (http://www.plaatjesupload.nl/bekijken/1369678.html)
they play with the name of Allah!!!!

there are even jokes about nike, like their slogan:

ardianto
04-21-2010, 01:45 PM
Actually, Nike inc has no any factory.
Those labors are labors in shoes factories that produce shoes for Nike as contractors. Every cost in production process in not Nike business.

But, if those contractors pay their labors low, that's because Nike push them to give low price to Nike.

Cabdullahi
04-23-2010, 06:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by GuCcI
athletic isnt my style ''because it looks cheap compared to gucci'':statisfie

cat eyes
04-23-2010, 07:23 PM
no i dont wear nike because of what they stand for but What i feel most comfortable in is these...

جوري
04-23-2010, 07:39 PM
I sport keen but only when exercising can't stand sneakers otherwise, they are all hideous with varying degrees of obnoxious looking..

Cabdullahi
04-23-2010, 07:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
no i dont wear nike because of what they stand for but What i feel most comfortable in is these...

What ya doin wearin aladdin's shoes?!?!.......what if it snows? you'll most probably pull out some old nikes from the cellar

Beardo
04-23-2010, 08:03 PM
Stopped wearing nike ages ago. I stick to adidas nowadays.

cat eyes
04-23-2010, 08:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
What ya doin wearin aladdin's shoes?!?!.......what if it snows? you'll most probably pull out some old nikes from the cellar
actually it snowed in Ireland back in January and went to the shop wearing these LOL

Cabdullahi
04-23-2010, 08:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
actually it snowed in Ireland back in January and went to the shop wearing these LOL
Thats dangerous subhanallah!!...i wore two socks and big boots in the winter ,my feet were frozen and i felt like crying

cat eyes
04-23-2010, 08:38 PM
Well yeah it is but i didnt stay out long in the stuff now that would be mad:D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!