/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim Americans barred from returning to US

islamirama
04-10-2010, 01:58 AM
Muslim Americans barred from returning to US

02 Apr 2010

A growing number of Muslim and Arab Americans are finding it difficult to return to the United States after traveling abroad, advocacy groups say.

Following an attempted Christmas day bombing on a Detroit-bound airplane, Muslim and ethnic Arab citizens of the US are bearing the brunt of the stringent wave of security measures installed at US airports.

In one case, a US citizen was told without any explanation that he could “not fly with any airlines to the USA" when he presented his US passport at the airport in Bogota, Colombia for a flight to Miami last month.

The California-born Raymond Earl Knaeble IV told The Washington Post that he was eventually sent to the US Embassy where an FBI agent questioned him about his recent conversion to Islam and a trip to Yemen where he had studied Arabic for three months.

"He said, 'I can't give you back your passport,' " Knaeble explained, adding that he has yet to be provided with explanation despite the passing of almost three weeks.

Khalilah Sabra, director of the immigrant justice program at the Falls Church-based Muslim American Society, said the extensive questioning and delays of Arabs and Muslims has seen a 50 percent increase since Christmas, with about 16 cases being reported each month.

"Getting out [of the US] is okay. No one says anything, but when they try to come back they are not allowed in, or they are being questioned," she said.

Security guidelines at US airports were further tightened after a failed attempt to allegedly blow up a US airliner over Detroit on Christmas Day.

The end result of this is said to be rather “chilling” for travelers -- mostly Muslims and Arabs-- who are being singled out for airport questioning and screening.

"People do whatever they can now not to cross borders if they're Muslim because they feel there's some potential for humiliation," said Ibrahim Hooper, a spokesman for the Council on American Islamic Relations.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=122247&sectionid=3510203

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Pygoscelis
04-10-2010, 04:03 PM
Off topic, but your signature reminds me of "pale blue dot". Makes one marvel at the vastness of the universe. And makes me wonder if somewhere out there could be other intelligent life. Also makes me wonder within a theistic mode of thought why the gods if they hold us as their most important concern would create all this extra space.

The_Prince
04-10-2010, 06:24 PM
i would take this story with a pinch of salt! presstv news are known for making lots of propaganda to heat things up.

this may be one isolated incident concerning 1 person, and not a general theme. it would practically be impossible for this to happen on a usual basis, civil rights groups, the courts etc wouldnt allow it to happen, its 100% unconstitutional and would stand no chance.

it seems in this case, that this guy is under suspect because he went to yemen for 3 months, and happens to also be a convert, and theyre just checking him out. even with that said, its not allowed for them to keep hold of his passport, but as for barring american born citizens from entering America, i dont believe that.

جوري
04-10-2010, 06:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
Off topic, but your signature reminds me of "pale blue dot". Makes one marvel at the vastness of the universe. And makes me wonder if somewhere out there could be other intelligent life. Also makes me wonder within a theistic mode of thought why the gods if they hold us as their most important concern would create all this extra space.
Who said we are the 'most important creation' furthermore, why would God limit the universe when he can make it vast and wondrous?

as per Noble Quran:

بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمنِ الرَّحِيمِ
هَلْ أَتَى عَلَى الْإِنسَانِ حِينٌ مِّنَ الدَّهْرِ لَمْ يَكُن شَيْئًا مَّذْكُورًا {1}
[Yusufali 76:1] Has there not been over Man a long period of Time, when he was nothing - (not even) mentioned?

so there is plenty going on before we came to the scene!

and again as per Noble Quran, the creation of everything else is certainly more impressive than the creation of man although from the smallest cell to canis major everything in creation is worthy of awe to those who take heed:

أَأَنتُمْ أَشَدُّ خَلْقًا أَمِ السَّمَاء بَنَاهَا {27}
[Yusufali 79:27] What! Are ye the more difficult to create or the heaven (above)? (Allah) hath constructed it:
[Pickthal 79:27] Are ye the harder to create, or is the heaven that He built?
رَفَعَ سَمْكَهَا فَسَوَّاهَا {28}
[Yusufali 79:28] On high hath He raised its canopy, and He hath given it order and perfection.
[Pickthal 79:28] He raised the height thereof and ordered it;
وَأَغْطَشَ لَيْلَهَا وَأَخْرَجَ ضُحَاهَا {29}
[Yusufali 79:29] Its night doth He endow with darkness, and its splendour doth He bring out (with light).
[Pickthal 79:29] And He made dark the night thereof, and He brought forth the morn thereof.
وَالْأَرْضَ بَعْدَ ذَلِكَ دَحَاهَا {30}
[Yusufali 79:30] And the earth, moreover, hath He extended (to a wide expanse);
[Pickthal 79:30] And after that He spread the earth,
أَخْرَجَ مِنْهَا مَاءهَا وَمَرْعَاهَا {31}
[Yusufali 79:31] He draweth out therefrom its moisture and its pasture;
[Pickthal 79:31] And produced therefrom the water thereof and the pasture thereof,
وَالْجِبَالَ أَرْسَاهَا {32}
[Yusufali 79:32] And the mountains hath He firmly fixed;-
[Pickthal 79:32] And He made fast the hills,
مَتَاعًا لَّكُمْ وَلِأَنْعَامِكُمْ {33}
[Yusufali 79:33] For use and convenience to you and your cattle.
[Pickthal 79:33] A provision for you and for your cattle.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
awais
04-11-2010, 11:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by The_Prince
i would take this story with a pinch of salt! presstv news are known for making lots of propaganda to heat things up.

this may be one isolated incident concerning 1 person, and not a general theme. it would practically be impossible for this to happen on a usual basis, civil rights groups, the courts etc wouldnt allow it to happen, its 100% unconstitutional and would stand no chance.

it seems in this case, that this guy is under suspect because he went to yemen for 3 months, and happens to also be a convert, and theyre just checking him out. even with that said, its not allowed for them to keep hold of his passport, but as for barring american born citizens from entering America, i dont believe that.
Reread the article carefully.

format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
A growing number of Muslim and Arab Americans...

In one case (citing an example)

The California-born Raymond Earl Knaeble IV told The Washington Post

Khalilah Sabra, director of the immigrant justice program at the Falls Church-based Muslim American Society, said the extensive questioning and delays of Arabs and Muslims has seen a 50 percent increase since Christmas, with about 16 cases being reported each month.

awais
04-11-2010, 11:58 AM
I forgot to add emphasis on this point as well, since I can't edit yet; another post.

format_quote Originally Posted by The_Prince
civil rights groups, the courts etc wouldnt allow it to happen, its 100% unconstitutional and would stand no chance.
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
[B]...advocacy groups say.

Khalilah Sabra, director of the immigrant justice program at the Falls Church-based Muslim American Society...

...said Ibrahim Hooper, a spokesman for the Council on American Islamic Relations.

The_Prince
04-11-2010, 05:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by awais
Reread the article carefully.
i did read it carefully, infact you should read what your quoting carefully. what you quote says that many Muslims have been delayed and questioned, and that there have been 16 such cases, it says NOTHING about Muslim Americans being barred from America, so thank you for proving my point! the group is saying something completely different to what presstv are saying, presstv are saying they are BARRED from going inside America, the rights group says theyre being delayed and questioned, two completely different things.

and as for the one supposed incident quoted to the washington times, i said that if this is the case, it is one case only, and not the general trend because it would be impossible to do this on a mass scale, and 100% unconstituional and would never last in court.

جوري
04-11-2010, 05:17 PM
islamirama although your current sig is nice, I really enjoyed your previous one more maybe you can bring it back?

:w:

islamirama
04-11-2010, 05:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
islamirama although your current sig is nice, I really enjoyed your previous one more maybe you can bring it back?

the anime one or the space one?

جوري
04-11-2010, 05:53 PM
the space one.. I don't remember an anime

islamirama
04-11-2010, 06:01 PM
I could bring it back, i just took it away since it seemed too big. If you like i to have it yourself, i can give you the link :)

btw, this was the anime one lol - http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/9098/yourlifesucks.jpg

جوري
04-11-2010, 06:07 PM
Jazaka Allah khyran.. do bring it back if you can.. I can't have something that you shared first.. it just wouldn't be becoming....

that anime wife has a slight strabismus and just isn't my type (all around)!..

islamirama
04-11-2010, 06:11 PM
You're more than welcome to have it, i think it'll suit you better. as for anime one, that was just a poke at the anime addicts :D

جوري
04-11-2010, 06:13 PM
well, where is it so I can at least save it? :lol:

Jazaka Allah

islamirama
04-11-2010, 06:15 PM
I uploaded it for you here - http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/4881/hubblez.gif

جوري
04-11-2010, 06:16 PM
ah... brilliant..

Jazaks

islamirama
04-11-2010, 06:19 PM
sure, Any time

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!