/* */

PDA

View Full Version : ‘Yemeni child bride tied up, raped’

TrueStranger
04-10-2010, 10:05 PM
By AHMAD AL-HAJ | AP
Published: Apr 11, 2010 00:49 Updated: Apr 11, 2010 00:49

SHUEBA, Yemen: A 13-year-old Yemeni child bride who bled to death shortly after marriage was tied down and forced to have sex by her husband, according to interviews with the child's mother, police and medical reports.

The girl's mother, Nijma Ahmed, 50, said that before her daughter lost consciousness, she said that her husband had tied her up and forced himself on her.

“She looked like she was butchered,” she said about her daughter's injuries.

Elham Assi, 13, bled to death hours after she spoke to her mother and just days after she was married to a 23-year-old man. She died on April 2 in the deeply poor Yemeni village of Shueba, some 200 kilometers northwest of the capital.

Her husband, Abed Al-Hikmi, is in police custody. The practice of marrying young girls is widespread in Yemen where a quarter of all females marry before the age of 15, according to a 2009 report by the country's Ministry of Social Affairs. Traditional families prefer young brides because they are seen as more obedient and are expected to have more children.

Legislation to ban child brides has been stalled by opposition from religious leaders. There has been no government comment over the case.

The girl — one of eight siblings — was pushed into marriage after an agreement between her brother and her future-husband to marry each other's sisters to avoid having to pay expensive dowry prices — a common arrangement in Yemen, the poorest country in the Middle East.

According to police notes from the interrogation of the husband, he was upset because he could not consummate their relationship and felt under pressure to prove his manhood. Assi's mother said she also tried to persuade her daughter to have sex with her husband so as not to shame the family.

Al-Hikmi took his young bride to a nearby medical clinic, asking a doctor there to administer her tranquilizers so she would not resist his advances. The clinic said it refused. Al-Hikmi then obtained performance enhancing pills, according to the police interrogation, and that night completed the act while she screamed.

The next day, he returned to the same medical clinic carrying Assi because she could not walk.

“I told him not to go near her for at least ten days,” said Dr. Fathiya Haidar. She said Assi's vaginal canal was ripped.

A forensic report obtained by the AP showed that Assi's injuries were much more extensive, including extensive tearing around the both private parts, suggesting that there might have been additional intercourse after the clinic visit.

Her mother said she visited Assi later that day, where she found her daughter fading in and out of consciousness.

“She whispered in my ear that he had tied her up and had sex with her violently,” she said. “I said to her husband, what have you done, you criminal?” She said Al-Hikmi told her that the young bride was just possessed by spirits and said he would take her to a folk healer to cast them out. Hours later, Assi was dead.

“She asked me to stay beside her,” her mother said.

The practice of marrying young girls is widespread in Yemen and has drawn the attention of international rights groups seeking to pressure the government to outlaw child marriages.

“Early marriage places girls at increased risk of dropping out of school, being exposed to violence, abuse and exploitation, and even losing their lives from pregnancy, childbirth and other complications,” said UNICEF's regional director Sigrid Kaag, in a statement Wednesday condemning the death.

A February 2009 law set the minimum age for marriage at 17, but it was repealed and sent back to parliament's constitutional committee for review after some lawmakers called it un-Islamic. The committee is expected to make a final decision on the legislation this month.

The issue of Yemen's child brides received widespread attention three years ago when an 8-year-old girl boldly went by herself to a courtroom and demanded a judge dissolve her marriage to a man in his 30s. She eventually won a divorce.

In September, a 12-year-old Yemeni child-bride died after struggling for three days in labor to give birth, a local human rights organization said.

http://arabnews.com/middleeast/article41669.ece

This is every disturbing. They seriously need to stop this. Where are our religious scholars?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
CosmicPathos
04-10-2010, 11:03 PM
I think every religious scholar will condemn this. The problem is with people and with Sharia legislation. When rules will not be properly applied, when criminals will not be punished, such things will be prevalent no matter how much the scholars condemn this. We do not need scholar's condemnation of this act, our instincts tell us that this debauchery is inhumane and hence, unIslamic.

islamirama
04-10-2010, 11:15 PM
Where's karl and his defense of "sunnah" on this? I'd like to see him come here and call everyone that calls this barbaric as an apostate and enemy of islam...

Maryan0
04-10-2010, 11:34 PM
^such people use the fact that the prophet married Aisha to justify things like this or the marrying of young girls, so how would you refute this or Karls argument?
Salam

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ummu Sufyaan
04-11-2010, 12:31 AM
a "ruling" on anwar al-awlaki life and now a child bride dead.

loving the propaganda.

p.s im not condoning this (if its true and not blown out of proportion to begin with) but it does, non-the-less look extremely weird considering whats happening in Yemen.

Insecured soul
04-11-2010, 01:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lisa0
^such people use the fact that the prophet married Aisha to justify things like this or the marrying of young girls, so how would you refute this or Karls argument?
Salam
but they forget that prophet pbuh marriage with aisha was divinely inspired and there is a lot of hikmah behind that, this doesnt mean that every muslim should go looking for younger bride.

muslim ummah that time and even at this time benefits from prophets marriage with aisha

not like whats happening in yemen this marriage was more of a settlement and a disaster for muslims and these are few things which disbelievers will mock at

Mr.President
04-11-2010, 01:47 AM
I would like to rise a question
Many saudi sheiks has issued fatwas on this issue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJOWkF9oUzc

Now I am confused pls is this permissible in islam or is this prohibited in islam ?

Maryan0
04-11-2010, 02:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Adib Shaikh
but they forget that prophet pbuh marriage with aisha was divinely inspired and there is a lot of hikmah behind that, this doesnt mean that every muslim should go looking for younger bride.

muslim ummah that time and even at this time benefits from prophets marriage with aisha

not like whats happening in yemen this marriage was more of a settlement and a disaster for muslims and these are few things which disbelievers will mock at
I understand that but the prophets life is an example for us, obviously there are things that were halal for the prophet based on his situation that are not halal for the rest of the ummah like how many wives he had. he was allowed more than 4 and one of the reasons was that the prophet (saw) was uniting the tribes and making good will between the muslims he also married widows. there is alot of hikmah there. other muslim men were also barred from taking on more than 4 wives but there is no prohibition in islam in marrying young girls.
There is a reason why we hit puberty at a certain age as opposed to being older. when you reach puberty you are an adult in islam and are held accountable for your actions and i understand that. but like Mr. president said is this halal or not? What is Islam ruling on this particularly when things like this situation happen.
Salam

جوري
04-11-2010, 02:01 AM
Ansar had an excellent article on all the prophet's marriages here:
http://www.islamicboard.com/clarific...phet-pbuh.html

but like many other great articles is now gone with the upgrade!

Maryan0
04-11-2010, 02:08 AM
inshallah they'll bring the old one back or at least something close to it

جوري
04-11-2010, 02:12 AM
I hope they can at least recover some of those great threads it would be a great loss really to lose some of the best efforts from some of the most learned on the forum..

:w:

جوري
04-11-2010, 02:55 AM
by the way I found this story very disturbing, graphic and almost inhuman.. that guy is a disgusting pervert who should be taken in on charges of sodomy and rape as well if I understand correctly the forensic evidence from the above.

her own mother had her when she was 37 so I don't understand why the need to marry them before they've bloomed if it is a question of 'fertility' although in this case it seems a question of low dowry!

CosmicPathos
04-11-2010, 03:09 AM
@ Mr President: That Saudi sheikh is not the representative of ALL Saudi sheikhs. Everyone has their opinion. Having diverse opinions can be a misery or a blessing. Pick one.

And this beast should be punished according to Sharia.

marwen
04-11-2010, 03:26 AM
Salam
The prophet married Aisha (ra) when she was young, because at that time girls used to marry early (may be people where physiologically different from us today). That's not really an islamic custom, but the arabs (or people) custom in the early ages. Now as the cultural habits and health condition of people changed, such marriages will be inappropriate. Islam doesn't accept the marriage of a girl if she is not physically and psychically ready to get married.

Maryan0
04-11-2010, 04:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by marwen
The prophet married Aisha (ra) when she was young, because at that time girls used to marry early (may be people where physiologically different from us today). That's not really an islamic custom, but the arabs (or people) custom in the early ages. Now as the cultural habits and health condition of people changed, such marriages will be inappropriate. Islam doesn't accept the marriage of a girl if she is not physically and psychically ready to get married.
Jazakhallahu khair

ardianto
04-11-2010, 04:51 AM
There are six countries that categorized as "the worst places for women".
Only one Muslim country on the list, .... that is Yemen.

Read the article in post #1, and you can find the reason why Yemen is on the list.

Amanda
04-11-2010, 05:43 AM
How terrible that this still happens... I hope that this man is brought to justice.

'Abd Al-Maajid
04-11-2010, 07:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto

Read the article in post #1, and you can find the reason why Yemen is on the list.
what are the other five countries...:?

'Abd Al-Maajid
04-11-2010, 07:16 AM
This story has probably made me sad.imsad A girl of 13 is neither mentally nor physically primed for marriage...atleast he should not have consummated the marriage. By the way do you call this consummation?!?!?! NO!!! This is apparently a case of rape...:?
May Allah SWT punish the man:skeleton: grant the girl Jannah and let her watch him suffer in the Hell.

ardianto
04-11-2010, 09:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdulmajid
what are the other five countries...:?
I must ask a question before I give you an answer, is Sierra Leone a Muslims country ?. If yes, there are two Muslims countries on the list.

This list was issued by UN Human Development.

1. Haiti (Especially because rape cases)
2. Yemen
3. Sierra Leone
4. Nepal
5. Papua New Guinea
6. Moldova (Especially because Human Trafficking cases)

Danah
04-11-2010, 09:14 AM
Why I am seeing this story wherever I go? That monster should be punished for his cruel act!

format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto

Marriage in Yemen is like a game....many people get married today, few months later you heard about their divorce, few months later they get married again..and so on. You may meet a man/woman in their twenties but find out that they marry/divorce several times. You may find a woman/man in their twenties having different kids from several marriages!!

What kind of Islam those people follow?

ardianto
04-11-2010, 09:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Danah
Marriage in Yemen is like a game....many people get married today, few months later you heard about their divorce, few months later they get married again..and so on. You may meet a man/woman in their twenties but find out that they marry/divorce several times. You may find a woman/man in their twenties having different kids from several marriages!!
Actually, 'Marriage Game' like this is happened not only in Yemen, but also in some poor district in Indonesia.

But the difference is ....., in Indonesia, the brides and the grooms are teenager, in Yemen the brides are early teenager and the grooms are 30-40 or even 50 years old men.

cat eyes
04-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Salam
exactly they are using our beloved mother aisha ra as an excuse to do these disgusting things

i want to beat the **** outa that animal with an iron bar. and i want to stone all those people who use islam to do such crime.

what is happening to our sisters

islamirama
04-11-2010, 06:05 PM
Exactly. Islam doesn't put a limit on marriage per se but common sense tells you today marriages are better off when there is a lesser gap between the two people. Two 13 year old teens can get married and have sex and their bodies can handle it, look at the sex and dating that starts at age 10 in the west. You just can't throw a 20+ guy on a pre or early teen girl, and think it'll be ok.

glo
04-11-2010, 07:02 PM
What a horrendous story! :cry:

I hope that such practices will be eliminated soon - from any country, culture or religion!

'Abd Al-Maajid
04-12-2010, 03:40 PM
I have a question...:? How does she managed to give birth while this girl died even though she was older?:confused:

cat eyes
04-12-2010, 04:35 PM
imagine how ridiculious a grown man would look married to a girl not bearly in her teens. they cant find a fully developed woman with actual breasts.

you might find a 13year old girl that is fully developed which shows that her body is clearly ready for intercourse but its pretty obvious that a girl who is not near developed is not ready for intercourse because of her little body.

There is many girls who dont get there menses until 15 or even 16.... so no man can come near them

Nokiacrazi
04-12-2010, 04:57 PM
Its ridiculous if its true.

islamirama
04-12-2010, 05:06 PM
I think we should give it a rest now. If its true its sad and we make dua Allah accept the girl in jannah and guide the people in yemen. if not true than some hint of propaganda from the west since yemen is on the map for invasion now. Besides, considering look how sexually active 11-13yr old are in the west. So everything may not add up here. In either case, no need for us to be sitting in our comfortable homes and condemning people based on some news we read (like the westerners).

Nokiacrazi
04-12-2010, 05:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
I think we should give it a rest now. If its true its sad and we make dua Allah accept the girl in jannah and guide the people in yemen. if not true than some hint of propaganda from the west since yemen is on the map for invasion now. Besides, considering look how sexually active 11-13yr old are in the west. So everything may not add up here. In either case, no need for us to be sitting in our comfortable homes and condemning people based on some news we read (like the westerners).
Agreed. But guide everyone :D

glo
04-12-2010, 06:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdulmajid
I have a question...:? How does she managed to give birth while this girl died even though she was older?:confused:
I guess it is not just a question of age but of physical maturity and physical size.
Girls mature at different ages. One 11-year-old may be more developed than another 13-year-old.
Then there may be the issue of the physical size and force which the perpetrator used, whether the girl fought back etc ...

But that's irrelevant really. The sexual abuse of child brides, or indeed any bride, is never acceptable - no matter what the age!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!