/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Quick Clarification

S<Chowdhury
04-11-2010, 08:50 PM
When i was taught how to do salah seems like a longtime ago but i still remember the beatings hehe ;D my Imam as i remember said before you start prayer we should recite the following and make intention:

" Inni wajjahtu waj-hiya lilla-zee fataras samawati wal ardha hannifan- wama ana minal mushriqueen. "

Translation
I have turned my full attention towards the Supreme Being, Who has created the heavens and the earth, and I am not one of those who associate partners with Him.

Am i correct in reciting this ? Or was i taught wrong?

A little clarification would be greatly appreciated :)

:wa:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Innocent Soul
04-12-2010, 10:03 AM
Assalamualaikum

" Inni wajjahtu waj-hiya lilla-zee fataras samawati wal ardha hannifan- wama ana minal mushriqueen. "
Yes,it is correct :) .I am not sure about the translation.

S<Chowdhury
04-12-2010, 11:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Safiya 1
Assalamualaikum

^ Thank you sister because i only ask since i was talking with another Brother and he had never heard of the above and said it was most likely incorrect .

Asiyah3
04-12-2010, 11:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Safiya 1
Assalamualaikum

Evidence please?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ardianto
04-12-2010, 12:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by S<Chowdhury
When i was taught how to do salah seems like a longtime ago but i still remember the beatings hehe ;D my Imam as i remember said before you start prayer we should recite the following and make intention:

Translation
I have turned my full attention towards the Supreme Being, Who has created the heavens and the earth, and I am not one of those who associate partners with Him.

Am i correct in reciting this ? Or was i taught wrong?

A little clarification would be greatly appreciated :)

That is not Niah (intention) that recited before Takbeer, but Du'a Iftistah that recited after Takbeer.

Du'a Iftistah above is incomplete, and just one of some versions.

☆ღUmm Uthmanღ☆
04-12-2010, 12:52 PM
:sl:

Ibn al-Qayyim said in Zaad al-Ma’aad (1/201):

When the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) stood up to pray, he would say: “Allaahu akbar,” and he did not say anything before that, or utter the intention (niyyah) out loud at all. He did not say, “I am going to pray such-and-such a prayer, facing the qiblah, four rak'ahs, as an imam or following an imam.” And he did not say “ada’an (on time)” or “qadaa’an (making up a missed prayer)” or “fard al-waqt (the obligatory prayer of this time).” These are all bid’ahs which were not narrated by any scholar with any isnaad, be it saheeh, da’eef, musnad or mursal … Neither was this narrated from any of the Prophet’s companions, and none of the Taabi’een or the four imams described it as mustahabb.

So the Muslim should have the intention of praying in his heart only, and not utter anything out loud.

:w:

cat eyes
04-12-2010, 03:00 PM
i was thought a different intention :><:

but that intention is much more nicer :p

islamirama
04-12-2010, 04:27 PM
in SE Asia they teach you to say your niyyah (intention) out loud before s tarting your salah. For example, you will say 2 rakah namaz fajr, namaz time fajr, facing qibla, allahu akbar. This is not correct. There is no such thing in Islam. Only time one can make the intention out loud is during hajj.

cat eyes
04-12-2010, 05:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
in SE Asia they teach you to say your niyyah (intention) out loud before s tarting your salah. For example, you will say 2 rakah namaz fajr, namaz time fajr, facing qibla, allahu akbar. This is not correct. There is no such thing in Islam. Only time one can make the intention out loud is during hajj.
you will have to find some evidence for that as to whether this is true or not

But i know that no teacher tells you to do the intention out loud lol:hmm:

brotherubaid
04-12-2010, 05:55 PM
Sis intention was not made vocally , out loud or otherwise by any sahabi or the prophet sala lahu alihi wa sallam himself , this is an innovation ,. there is no HADEETH to indicate it , not even a false n fabricated hadeeth nor a weak hadeeth , there is is NO evidence of doing that whatso ever.

Its all in the heart , for example if i leave my house to go to pray fajr , thats my niyah right there , now when i get to the masjid may be my niyyah from home was that i will pray 2 rakat tahiyatul masjid or sunnah of fajr ( if i have not prayed it at home) but when i get there i see them getting ready for the salah , so all of a sudden my niyah in my heart changes n instead of me praying those two rakats my niyah in my heart becomes that i will join them in obligatory salah and later i can pray the sunnah InshahAllah.

I do not have to say vocally that " I intend to pray two rakat farz namaz of fajr behind an imam facing the kaaba shareef -- Allah hu akbar!

Have u seen this brothes n sisters , i always every day in each salah see this , people cpome stand in the row n keep mumbling stuff and most of the times they lose out on joining the imam in takbeer tahrimah , the frst tabeer and the imam starts the faathia and they lose the ajar of joining from the first takbeer? why coz of a bidah an innovation that the Prophet sala lahu alihi wa sallam never practise , never taught m never legislated , never did his sahabas.

I also see sometimes peole are ina hurry n they mae the wrong niyah , like imsated of dhur namaz they say asr namaz for example n By Allah i have seen them break their salah again and start over with announcing n uttering out the right niyyah ,and this is a common site in many masajid

U see some keep their hands on their ears for almost aminute or more or like half a minute n some even get stuck in that position for longer , have u not seen this brothers? a guy standing to pray and he takes his hands up to his ears fp rthe takbeer n they stay there for quite some time coz he cant get the niyyah right , thre rakat no noastaghfiruul , two rakah fajr , no astaghirullah 4 rakat sunnah dhur and on and on.

Who ever claims that niyah is to be said before the salah , Please bring ur evidence , we are not the ones supposed to bring the evidence , rather the one who has legislated the action has to brig the evidence fro his action , coz evidence is always for an act or action , so please bring the evidence that the prophet sala lahu alihi wa sallam did it or taught it n NO general ahadeeth do not apply it has to be specific , so dont bring the hadeeth that " inna mal amaal bi niyat"

that is a general hadeeth .and doe snot in any way apply to reading teh niyyah , out loud or softly or any other way , rather niyah is in the heart.

I dont know how u missed the reply of mujaheeda , she brought evidence rom a well know scholar , please do check it.

Here is another way of understanding it.

We see that the pathan brothers so the niyyah in pashtu , the bangla do it in bangla , the urdu speaking say it in urdu , the arabic (some of them ) say it in arabic ,

So i ask , If the Prophet sala lahu alihi wa sallam had done it in arabic , wouldnt the same words apply to us all?? and wouldnt than we all have to do it in arabic coz it was a part of the salah , just like a pathaan cannot recite surah al fathiha's translation in pashtu we wont be able to do it in our own languages.

hope it helps

and hope no one minds , may Allah bless u all , n reward u all.

assalam o alikum

marwen
04-12-2010, 06:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by S<Chowdhury

Translation
This dua has nothing to do with ny'a (intention). This dua is called : Du'a al-Istiftah = opening dua. And it's sunnah (different from ny'a witch is fardh and is implicite(in the heart)),
This du'a was sunnah : means the prophet (s.a.w) used to read it in the beginning of the prayer, and du'a Istiftah can have other forms (ex :
*) Allahumma baa’id bayni wa bayna khataayaaya kama baa’adta bayna al-mashriqi wa’l-maghrib. Allahumma naqqini min khataayaaya kama yunaqqa al-thawb al-abyad min al-danas. Allaahumma ighsilni min khataayaaya bi’l-thalji wa’l-maa’i wa’l-barad.

“O Allah, put a great distance between me and my sins, as great as the distance You have made between the East and the West. O Allah, cleanse me of sin as a white garment is cleansed from filth. O Allah, wash away my sins with snow and water and hail.” (Bukhari)
*) Subhanaka Allahuma wabi hamdik, wata-baraka ismuk, wa ta’ala jad-duka wala ilaha ghyruk.

“Glory be to you, O Allah, and all praises are due unto You, and blessed is Your name and high is Your majesty and none is worthy of worship but you.” (Sahih Jami`)
Some explain it as a greeting for our Lord before the Salah. Anyway, Du'a Istiftah is a sunnah that Prophet Muhammed used to do, we should do it to follow our prophet (s.a.w) and to get rewarded from Allah, but if we forget to say it or if we don't know it, it's ok and our prayer without it can be correct inshallah.

We have to not confound it with "Ny'a" (intention). Ny'a is fardh. Before doing the prayer we should have implicite intention (in our heart) that we want to do prayer not anything else. And salah without Ny'a is incorrect (it's a necessary condition of salah).

tango92
04-12-2010, 07:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by brotherubaid
Sis intention was not made vocally , out loud or otherwise by any sahabi or the prophet sala lahu alihi wa sallam himself , this is an innovation ,. there is no HADEETH to indicate it , not even a false n fabricated hadeeth nor a weak hadeeth , there is is NO evidence of doing that whatso ever.
who invented this practice? i thought this was part of the hanafi school

brotherubaid
04-12-2010, 07:46 PM
Jazak Allah khair akhi marwen for bringing the other forms of dua al istiftaah that are PROVED from the Prophet sala lahu alihi wa sallam.

Also this was proved

a Companion came late to join the ranks of the people at prayer and opened his prayer with the words: Allahu akbar kabîran wa al-hamdu lillahi kathîran wa subhan Allahi bukratan wa asîla.
Allah is greater and truly great! Praise belongs to Allah abundantly! Glory to Allah morning and evening!

After prayer the Prophet asked who had said this. The man identified himself saying: "O Messenger of Allah! I did not intend by it other than good." The Prophet said: "I saw the gates of heaven open because of those words."

n in the narration of ibn umar : "I never stopped saying them since I heard the Prophet say this.

So this along with the ost famous , Subhanaka Allahuma wabi hamdik, wata-baraka ismuk, wa ta’ala jad-duka wala ilaha ghyruk.

“Glory be to you, O Allah, and all praises are due unto You, and blessed is Your name and high is Your majesty and none is worthy of worship but you.” (Sahih Jami`)

And

Allahumma baa’id bayni wa bayna khataayaaya kama baa’adta bayna al-mashriqi wa’l-maghrib. Allahumma naqqini min khataayaaya kama yunaqqa al-thawb al-abyad min al-danas. Allaahumma ighsilni min khataayaaya bi’l-thalji wa’l-maa’i wa’l-barad.

“O Allah, put a great distance between me and my sins, as great as the distance You have made between the East and the West. O Allah, cleanse me of sin as a white garment is cleansed from filth. O Allah, wash away my sins with snow and water and hail.” (Bukhari)
( Absolute beauty , imagine starting a night prayer with this)

And the Dua of Ibraheem

Inni wajjahtu waj-hiya lilla-zee fataras samawati wal ardha hannifan- wama ana minal mushriqueen. "

Translation

These are all duaas of istiftaah , said after u start the prayer by saying Allahu Akbar.

This is what they are , notto be said before the prayer , rather after u start it InshahAllah

Barak Allahu feekum

cat eyes
04-12-2010, 07:57 PM

Its all in the heart , for example if i leave my house to go to pray fajr , thats my niyah right there , now when i get to the masjid may be my niyyah from home was that i will pray 2 rakat tahiyatul masjid or sunnah of fajr ( if i have not prayed it at home) but when i get there i see them getting ready for the salah , so all of a sudden my niyah in my heart changes n instead of me praying those two rakats my niyah in my heart becomes that i will join them in obligatory salah and later i can pray the sunnah InshahAllah.

I do not have to say vocally that " I intend to pray two rakat farz namaz of fajr behind an imam facing the kaaba shareef -- Allah hu akbar!

Have u seen this brothes n sisters , i always every day in each salah see this , people cpome stand in the row n keep mumbling stuff and most of the times they lose out on joining the imam in takbeer tahrimah , the frst tabeer and the imam starts the faathia and they lose the ajar of joining from the first takbeer? why coz of a bidah an innovation that the Prophet sala lahu alihi wa sallam never practise , never taught m never legislated , never did his sahabas.

I also see sometimes peole are ina hurry n they mae the wrong niyah , like imsated of dhur namaz they say asr namaz for example n By Allah i have seen them break their salah again and start over with announcing n uttering out the right niyyah ,and this is a common site in many masajid

U see some keep their hands on their ears for almost aminute or more or like half a minute n some even get stuck in that position for longer , have u not seen this brothers? a guy standing to pray and he takes his hands up to his ears fp rthe takbeer n they stay there for quite some time coz he cant get the niyyah right , thre rakat no noastaghfiruul , two rakah fajr , no astaghirullah 4 rakat sunnah dhur and on and on.

Who ever claims that niyah is to be said before the salah , Please bring ur evidence , we are not the ones supposed to bring the evidence , rather the one who has legislated the action has to brig the evidence fro his action , coz evidence is always for an act or action , so please bring the evidence that the prophet sala lahu alihi wa sallam did it or taught it n NO general ahadeeth do not apply it has to be specific , so dont bring the hadeeth that " inna mal amaal bi niyat"

that is a general hadeeth .and doe snot in any way apply to reading teh niyyah , out loud or softly or any other way , rather niyah is in the heart.

I dont know how u missed the reply of mujaheeda , she brought evidence rom a well know scholar , please do check it.

Here is another way of understanding it.

We see that the pathan brothers so the niyyah in pashtu , the bangla do it in bangla , the urdu speaking say it in urdu , the arabic (some of them ) say it in arabic ,

So i ask , If the Prophet sala lahu alihi wa sallam had done it in arabic , wouldnt the same words apply to us all?? and wouldnt than we all have to do it in arabic coz it was a part of the salah , just like a pathaan cannot recite surah al fathiha's translation in pashtu we wont be able to do it in our own languages.

hope it helps

and hope no one minds , may Allah bless u all , n reward u all.

assalam o alikum
lol bro i think its no harm to do intention anyway

we dont need to go to deep in to these things and annoy ourselves about it whether theres a hadith about it or not.

theres certain things that we do not have certain evidence of but that dose not mean we dont do it when there is absolutely no harm in it

and the majority of muslims make intention

brotherubaid
04-12-2010, 08:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tango92
who invented this practice? i thought this was part of the hanafi school
Well i think u see hanafi brothers do this , but does not necessary mean that hanafi school promotes this , may Allah guide the common people , there is a lot o fthings that a common hanafi person might do , but The great Imam abu haneefa and the school of thought will never approve of them , rather even warn against them.

So just a point of benefit brother , the actions of people might make the whole school of thought look bad , but at times its that particular persons fault n mistake , or that particular groups mistake , their personal mistake of which Imam Abu haneefa is free n so is the hanafi school.

But yes , when u see soo many hanafi peolple do the same mistake , u pause n think why arent the hanafi scholars ns tudents of knowledge correcting them? why dont they come out n spak about it ? why dont they warn against such things? we should all fear Allah , and always look at quran n sunnah n if our maslak , our manhaj is going against it or there is stronger evidence with some one else to prove us wrong , we should follow n accept it

May Allah guide us all to the quran n sunnah, the way the Prophet sala lahu alihi wa sallam n his companions practised n how they understood the deen , n those who came after them n those who followed them

brotherubaid
04-12-2010, 08:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
lol bro i think its no harm to do intention anyway

we dont need to go to deep in to these things and annoy ourselves about it whether theres a hadith about it or not.

theres certain things that we do not have certain evidence of but that dose not mean we dont do it when there is absolutely no harm in it

and the majority of muslims make intention
well sister this is exactly why we are so diffrent from the sahabas n the tabieen n the rightly guided muslims.

And this is propably why our position in this world is so diffent from them as well.

This was not their attitude towards new things invented nor did they used to do things which they saw no harm in , rather they would adhere a complete adherence to what was proved to them.

N i mean to add soemthing to the salah , which is like the greatest act of worship probably , notthing can be added to it from our own opinions or intellect or our thinking and likes n dislikes , if thats the case then sister i dont see any harm in doing 3 sajdahs rather than 2 , see talaq is three times , many things in islam are like three times , u know the door three times , why not do sajdah three times also.

There might not be evidence for cetrain things n we could probably do them , why not , BUT when it come sto act of worship ITSELF like prayer , we cannot add or reduce anything from them , lets take for example a brother likes to stay in the masjid betwwen maghrib n ishaa reading quran or hadeeth or just doing other forms of worship coz well the time between these two salahs is not that long any way , so he can do it why not he does not need to have an evidnce for it , its good for him , may be thats the only time of the day he has for quran , or may be his house is too far so rather than going back n comming again he can just stay n do some worship n i wont confront him like WHAT IS UR EVIDENCE? u get the idea , so here there is no harm agreed , but when it comes to worship n acts of worship we have to follow the evidence, STRICLY or we will be left with notthing like the christains lost it all , now they have base guitars n pianos in churches may be coz they thought teher was absolutely no harm in them? r may be coz they did not adheer to what jesus peac be upon him left them with.

we will end up just liek them if we open these doors sister , may Allah reward u.

so i hope u get the picture ,

N YES NIYAH N INTENTION EVEN I HAVE m i have it in my heart n in my brain , i know what i am about to do , so i dont get up for praying three witr n end up praying 4 coz some where in the middle i changed my mind n thought i would pray pray 4 rakats of some missed ishaa or something

BUT ITS NOT DOING THE NIYAH , ITS ABOUT HAVING THE NIYAH

Now how many times do u make niyyah well

i make niyyah of eating two chapatis ( rotis) n chicken curry facing the kitchen next to my hubby?!

No its insiDe u its in ur heat lol that is probably the worst example i have ever made up though lol

salams

cat eyes
04-12-2010, 09:24 PM
brother there is absolutely nothing wrong in making intention. the scholars says its okay so if the scholars say its okay then that is enough for me and enough for other muslims to know subhanAllah why do we constantly argue and critisize over what good others do.

now it dose not mean if a person sits down to read holy Quran every night and he makes intention to Allah i am now going to read your beautiful words so you will tell him no you should not do that because there is no evidence of sahaba doing that. do you know how silly that sounds? so im just giving you example.

Allah loves being praised and second Allah loves when we take even a second to do something extra before our salah and intention is a nice thing. it shows that we want to make our salah perfect from start to finish and not be lazy and just jump in to it when our minds could be somewhere else

brotherubaid
04-12-2010, 09:42 PM
well some scholars say its okay , some say its not , so will we just go fatwa shopping to choose the fatwa we like , or is it that we will take from the scholar whome we follwo or love or will we take it from the one who has the evidence from quran n sunnah ?

any way this is the end of it. n i DO NOT KNOW any one who makes intention of reading quran before he does , or make intention of making zikr before he makes zikr , that example is not even in practice , while making the intention of namaz is wide spread.

When was the last time u sat down n went like this.

I intend to read two pages of quran sitting on my carpet , facing the qiblah bismilah ih rahman ar raheem .....

NEVER! no one does it , n makes absolutely no sense , rather when one wakes up in the middle of the night and makes wudu n before he prays he decides in his heart that he will read some quran first , its something in his heart n the intention in his heart makes him take the quran out n open it n read it n so on n so on .

any way , the truth is clear n evident , and please forgive , it seems that the ummah is ab****ely not wiling to listen to advise nor willing to cme back to the sunnah and not willing to leave the bidah , coz we are so stuck.

may Allah save us

ardianto
04-13-2010, 03:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
in SE Asia they teach you to say your niyyah (intention) out loud before s tarting your salah.
Who said ?. SE Asia Ulama teach ummah to say niyyah, but they do not teach to say loudly. Ummah can whisper that niyyah or say it in the heart.
For example, you will say 2 rakah namaz fajr, namaz time fajr, facing qibla, allahu akbar.
There are some little differences in fiq'h between Shafi'iyah, Malikiyah, Hanafiyah and Hanabilah.
This is not correct. There is no such thing in Islam. Only time one can make the intention out loud is during hajj.
Please respect to the differences, brother.

AabiruSabeel
04-13-2010, 05:33 AM

BrotherUbaid, when scholars differ on a matter, they differ because they have evidence on both sides. We are not the ones who can judge who is right and who is wrong. It's not right for us to say they don't have evidence from the Quran and Sunnah. Please read this thread.

Having the intention while starting the Salah is very important. That is because, we come to the Masjid from our worldly business and our minds are wandering. We come and join the prayer without even thinking where we are standing. We are standing in front of Rabbul 'Aalameen, Lord of the worlds. We must have our thoughts completely focussed on the prayer. Saying the intention silently helps achieve this. Our thoughts get focussed on the prayer and where we are standing and how great an action we are going to carry out.

Intention plays a very important role. Just by the difference of intention, the reward for an action changes. The Sunnah of Fajr and the Fardh of Fajr, both are exactly same in appearance. It's only the intention that changes the reward from that of the Sunnah prayer to that of the Fardh prayer. Then what is the condition of those who just come and join the prayer with their minds wandering around and say Allahu Akbar? (PS: I am not saying this particularly to anyone here. Just a general situation of most Muslims. I hope none amongst us here falls under this category.)

brotherubaid
04-13-2010, 10:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AabiruSabeel

BrotherUbaid, when scholars differ on a matter, they differ because they have evidence on both sides. We are not the ones who can judge who is right and who is wrong. It's not right for us to say they don't have evidence from the Quran and Sunnah. Please read this thread.

Having the intention while starting the Salah is very important. That is because, we come to the Masjid from our worldly business and our minds are wandering. We come and join the prayer without even thinking where we are standing. We are standing in front of Rabbul 'Aalameen, Lord of the worlds. We must have our thoughts completely focussed on the prayer. Saying the intention silently helps achieve this. Our thoughts get focussed on the prayer and where we are standing and how great an action we are going to carry out.

Intention plays a very important role. Just by the difference of intention, the reward for an action changes. The Sunnah of Fajr and the Fardh of Fajr, both are exactly same in appearance. It's only the intention that changes the reward from that of the Sunnah prayer to that of the Fardh prayer. Then what is the condition of those who just come and join the prayer with their minds wandering around and say Allahu Akbar? (PS: I am not saying this particularly to anyone here. Just a general situation of most Muslims. I hope none amongst us here falls under this category.)
salam brother barak Allah feek , i will really appreciate that u bring me the evidence from quran n sunnah of making the niyah vocally by whispering etc.

All what u have said , cam be said about the niyyah in the heart

for example 2 sunnah of fajr n 2 rakat fardh of fajr are same in apperance but the niyyah is what decides which is what, right? so why cant this niyyah be in the heart?

And if u are saying that this is a good NEW way of bringing focus in the prayer or making our prayer better , and i say NEW coz the Prophet sala lahu alihi wa sallam never did it nor did his sahaba , nor did any of the four imams teach or recommend it ( that niyah should be said vocally even if its whispers) so here brother if u are caliming that its khair n there is khair in it and good in it than know my brother that u are saying that the Prophe sala lau alihi wa sallam and his companions were not aware of this khair nor did they come up with this khair n reach this khair while the were the best of humans n most knowledgable of islam than us all.

Know that what was deen at that time will be deen till Allah inherits this earth n what ever is upon it and InshaAllah some peopel n some groups will remain on that same islam while others will need new things n new ways to practice the deen n you can be the judge on who will be the more succesful.

It is not up to us to invent new things n to legislate them in the deen.
N if any one says its good n its khair
than know that this Khayr was non-existent during the
time of Allah's Messenger , his Sahabah, Taba'een and the Imams.
Howcould this Khayr be concealed from them?
They knew this Khayr like we know (because) they were more
knowledgeable than us.

Know what imam malik said:
"He, who innovates a Bidah in the religion of Islam and he
considers it to be Khayr then he has maligned the Messenger of
Allah, Muhammad that he betrayed the Message (i.e., did not
completely convey the message)."

When he was asked whats ur proof oh imam he said

ImamMalik said,
"Read if youwish, 'This day I have perfected your religion for you,
completed my Favor upon you and have chosen for you Islam as
your religion.'" [Soorah al-Maidah (5):3]
So, something that was not from the Deen that day is also not
from the Deen today.”

When did Imam Malik make this statement?
In the 2nd century after Hijrah - one of the generations that was
promised goodness. So, how about the 14th century?!
This statement ofImamMalik should be carvedwith letters of gold. But
we are ignorant of the Book of Allah and the Ahadeeth of Allah's
Messenger , and from the saying of the scholars whom we claim to
follow, between their example and ours is a distance equal to the
distance between east and west.

Yes just by the difference of intention the reward of the intention changes , lets take an example n this happen all the time with lots of people , they come to the masjid late , run up to the row n join in n when they are making the niyah voacally lets say its 4 rakat dhur namaz , and in his heart his niyyah is that he is going to masjid to pray 4 rakat , but when he gets there n the imam is in ruku he makes niyah quickly with his mouth n slips n instead of four rakat dhur he says four rakat asr , Now what will he be rewarded? will this be written for him as dhur salah or asr salah , and know that its not time for asr salah but he said it with his moth that i intentd to pray four rakat asr salah. Now his niyyah in the heart is of dhur salah and niyah on tongue is asr salah , what a mess this is and happens allll the time , u see brothers repeat niyah again n again coz they keep slipping.

It is an innovation , and i say that because it has be associated with salah a complete association , where when ever a person is taught to do salah he is taugt to do the niyah in this particular way , he is told that this is how the salah starts hence making it a part of his salah and if this was not a part of the salah of the prophet n sahaba than this witout a douit is an inovation. and not to mention that its taught in the language of the person hence proving that it cannot ever be from the deen or salah coz if it was it would have been in arabic n secondly it would have been the same word used by the Prophet sala lahua lihi wa salla.

Now i will just mention a few losses of making intention vocally

First - Its rejected , for the famous hadeeth of the prophet that Who ever does a deed which was not commanded by us it will be rejected ,

Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever introduces anything into this matter of ours that is not part of it will have it rejected,” i.e., it will be thrown back at him and will not be accepted by Allaah. According to another version: “Whoever does any deed that is not part of this matter of ours will have it rejected.”

So this is first

Second It is seen all over the world in all masajid what happens

Those who make intention vocaly at times get stuck or making that intention ina hurry always makes them slip and repaet it over and over
The Loss

They lose out on the takbeer al tahreemah , the first takbeer n lose out on a great ajar , if they can pray 40 days all salas with teh first takbeer they might be rewarded by release from fire n hyprocrisy, but no ,uttering the intention ( since its a bidah and wil only harm u) makes them miss the takbeer and delay them joining with the imam and even more common than this is

That they lose on the rakah itself, How? they come in running coz the imam is going to goto ruku soon , when they reach the row the imam is still in ruku n they can join , they have the niyyyah of praying that salah with the imam in their hearts , its their niyah in their hearts that has got them to the masjid n in the saff in the forst place so there is no need to utter it n say it vocally , coz saying it vocaly only makes them miss the rakat coz the imam comes up from the ruku n he has not made his niyah n joined in in the ruku. This is a very comon sight in all masajid so pleased ont deny it.

There is no good in making the niyyah vocally brothers , rather its in the heart , n wel if u say it makes the salah more fearful n concentrated , than know that this is not how the sahaba n the early generations made their salah more focused , The prophet sala lahu alihi wa sallam did not inform us of this, Allah did not inform us of this , And Allah knew ther would be a 2010 , there would be people like us with our type of weak imans n pre occupied minds , but Allah with ALL his knowledge did not legislate it and his Prophet sala lahu alihi wa sallam did not teach us this, so who aftyer them can introduce this? do they not fear Allah?

cat eyes
04-13-2010, 12:36 PM
if a person makes intention because it helps him concentrate then theres no sin in it. i have not heard of one single scholar having a major problem in it even if they did not do it themselves.

You are talking about whats in the heart only but what about your mind? sure you could have intention in your heart to do alot of things that dose not mean to say you are thinking about it because your mind wonders. personally it would be very hard for me not to do intention because my mind would not be on my salah at all.

So by making intention im making my mind prepared and telling my brain im going to pray now.

If the sahaba did not do it then there is no sin in us doing it because we do not need permission and confirmation on every lttle thing we do. imagine how difficult the religion would be then

AabiruSabeel
04-13-2010, 06:31 PM

salam brother barak Allah feek , i will really appreciate that u bring me the evidence from quran n sunnah of making the niyah vocally by whispering etc.

All what u have said , cam be said about the niyyah in the heart

... ...
May Allah reward you too. I did not say we have to say the intention verbally. Just said that it helps in focussing your thoughts on Salah. Saying it in local language itself shows that it is not part of the Salah. In fact, I do not usually say the intention verbally. I just try to focus my thoughts by thinking and intending what I am going to pray. But sometimes when the mind is too much distracted, I find (soft) verbal intention helps in bringing back the concentration.

Mufti Ebrahim Desai says:
Niyyah (intention) is actually from the heart. It is not necessary to make a verbal intention before performing Salaat. However, if a person is in doubt and the verbal intention helps one to strengthen the intention in the heart, then one may make verbal intention before Salaat.

One should not regard verbal intention as necessary and a precondition for the validity of Salaat.

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Mufti Ebrahim Desai
Yes just by the difference of intention the reward of the intention changes , lets take an example n this happen all the time with lots of people , they come to the masjid late , run up to the row n join in n when they are making the niyah voacally lets say its 4 rakat dhur namaz , and in his heart his niyyah is that he is going to masjid to pray 4 rakat , but when he gets there n the imam is in ruku he makes niyah quickly with his mouth n slips n instead of four rakat dhur he says four rakat asr , Now what will he be rewarded? will this be written for him as dhur salah or asr salah , and know that its not time for asr salah but he said it with his moth that i intentd to pray four rakat asr salah. Now his niyyah in the heart is of dhur salah and niyah on tongue is asr salah , what a mess this is and happens allll the time , u see brothers repeat niyah again n again coz they keep slipping.
Niyyat (to make Niyyat) is an integral part of all actions. Without Niyyat, an action is void of Thawaab. There are certain Ibaadat where Niyyat is a prerequisite for its validity, e.g. Salaat.

However, Niyyat is an act of the heart. Hence, if a person is certain in his heart that he is performing Dhuhr Salaat, for example, and he utters Asr Salaat by mistake, his Dhuhr Salaat will still be valid. A verbal intention may be made before commencing Salaat. It could be made in any language, keeping in mind that you do not inconvenience the person standing next to you, e.g. raising the voice when making Niyyat, etc. (Sharhul Wiqaayat pg.139)

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Mufti Ebrahim Desai
FATWA DEPT.
:w:

cat eyes
04-14-2010, 04:05 PM
:sl:i think its ridiculous to say that a person is changing the salah by making intention vocally when intention has got nothing to do with salah. if a person tries to change the salah they would not be able to do it because everything is already written down and what duaas we can recite from quran. if somebody was to change the salah that would mean they would have to alter the holy quran and hadith evidence on how to pray(actions) and do wudhu

the second thing which i want to make very clear is that i was thought correctly how to pray by my teacher who is married to a MUFTI and she said there is absolutely nothing wrong in me making intention.. and people who dispute about little things are arrogant(no offense) but im not going to listen to any layman on what he deems right and what he dosent

Wasalam

KittenLover
04-14-2010, 11:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
:sl:i think its ridiculous to say that a person is changing the salah by making intention vocally when intention has got nothing to do with salah. if a person tries to change the salah they would not be able to do it because everything is already written down and what duaas we can recite from quran. if somebody was to change the salah that would mean they would have to alter the holy quran and hadith evidence on how to pray(actions) and do wudhu

the second thing which i want to make very clear is that i was thought correctly how to pray by my teacher who is married to a MUFTI and she said there is absolutely nothing wrong in me making intention.. and people who dispute about little things are arrogant(no offense) but im not going to listen to any layman on what he deems right and what he dosent

Wasalam
It all depends on what school of thought you follow, most likely your friend's husband is mufti of hanafi school who say you have to say the intention out loud I THINK NOT SURE, but other schools of thought say you don't, they say the intention is made in the heart and you don't need to vocalise it and they say this based upon evidence, so the saying of a mufti isn't evidence sister because I could bring you a mufti who would say you shouldn;t make intention out loud cos it's not sunnah. What's evidence in Islam is

1. Allah says
2. Allah's messenger says
3. Sahabba say
4. 'ijma (concensus)

so I guess it all depends on whether you follow shafi, maliki, hanafi, hanablii, if you say you follow hanafi madhab where I think the opinion is that you have to verbalise your intention that's ok, however there could be an opinion from 1 of the other schools of thought that could be more closer to the sunnah than the opinion you're following. Because the 4 schools of thought have conflicting views in some things. So you should follow the authentic opinion, the 1 that is more closer to the sunnah.

it's confusing I know sister and there is all ways big debates about this topic of madhabs the issue being, if you should blind follow 1 particular madhab or if you should take what's authentic from all of them. Allah knows best.

The statement of your teacher about people who dispute over little things being arrogant is quite ignorant sister, because she is not able to see the intention behind the dispute, in this case the dispute is over something related to the salah and what is closer to the sunnah, so what is wrong with discussing which opinion is closer to the sunnah. Is that not our goal as Muslims' to follow the sunnah.

And is she able to see into the hearts of people that she can determine any dispute over a little thing as arrogant? May Allah forgive her for calling some body arrogant when they may not be allah hu 'alam.

The prophet pbuh told us arrogrance is to reject the truth when it comes to you and to look down upon people, he didn't mention dispute in there. So she should not say people who dispute over little things are arrogant, because she is un aware of the intention. What if brother ubaid's intention is to earn the pleasure of Allah by bringing you closer to the sunnah, is it still arrogance?

so such claims should not be made. Next time tell her "you do not know what's in the hearts of people so do not call them arrogant"

KittenLover
04-14-2010, 11:45 PM
The site of this intention is the heart. By simply deciding in his heart to do this action, a person has made his intention. Hence it is not prescribed to speak the intention out loud when one wants to do the action. Rather speaking the intention out loud is a kind of innovation that was not narrated in the Book of Allaah or in the Sunnah of His Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), nor was it narrated from any of his Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them all). See al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 2/283. For more information please see question no. 13337

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/20193...n%20out%20loud

Since it was not done by the prophet pbuh or his sahabba then we should leave it for that which is better, the better thing being the sunnah.

cat eyes
04-15-2010, 12:24 AM
i follow hanafi. ANY INTENTION WHETHER VOCALLY OR NOT IS ACCEPTED FROM Allah. why are people making this an issue.

cat eyes
04-15-2010, 12:31 AM
i meant to refuse another muftis fatwa saying that intention is okay done vocally is arrogant... because you are thinking that you are better then an educated man.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!