/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslims up in arms at mosques on Army firing range

islamirama
04-12-2010, 01:56 AM
Muslims up in arms at mosques on Army firing range

By Girish Gupta - 9 April 2010

The Ministry of Defence has apologised after it emerged that model mosques had been erected at the end of a North Yorkshire firing ranged used by the British Army.

The Bradford Council for Mosques (BCM) was angered by the structures at Catterick Garrison. "Relationships between the Muslim Community and the Army are very fragile at the moment, and this seems like a silly thing for the Army to do," said Ishtiaq Ahmed of the BCM.

"It gives us the impression that mosques are regarded as buildings of potential danger. This is totally unfair as mosques are places of peace. They don't represent a danger to anyone. We felt that by using these mosques as a target, the British Army is sending the wrong messages to its soldiers. That kind of indoctrination and conditioning of young men is very dangerous and unhelpful."

An Army spokesman apologised for the offence caused. "It was never our intention for these generic structures to look like or replicate mosques, only to provide a setting similar to operational environments in which our personnel could train," he said.

The BCM asked the MoD yesterday to remove the structures immediately, to apologise to the Muslim community and to guarantee that similar incidents would not happen again.

Mr Ahmed said he would wait until the structures had been removed before discussing how such incidents could be avoided in the future.

Green domes are symbolic of the Prophet's Mosque in Madinah, Saudi Arabia, which is one of the holiest Muslim monuments in the world. "By making the domes green, this is implicitly an attack on the Muslim faith," added Mr Ahmed.

"It is crucial that our armed forces train at ranges that replicate the environment they will be deployed to," said the Army spokesman. "We have no intention of offending religious sensibilities."

The Army is seeking a meeting with representatives from the Muslim community to discuss their concerns and offer reassurance.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/muslims-up-in-arms-at-mosques-on-army-firing-range-1939862.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Argamemnon
04-12-2010, 05:42 PM
Unbelievable! Why don't Muslim countries immediately withdraw their ambassadors from this rogue state?

glo
04-12-2010, 06:34 PM
I must say that both my husband and I were quite shocked by this.

The Army spokesperson added: "It was never our intention for these generic structures to look like or replicate mosques, only to provide a setting similar to operational environments in which our personnel could train.

"We apologise for any offence that we may have caused. We are working with representatives from the Muslim community and are in the process of removing the offending structures."

Ishtiaq Ahmed, of the BCM, said that the structures were undoubtedly meant to resemble mosques.

"The shape of the structures, the colour of the dome - the green dome - symbolises an Islamic place of worship," he said. "Anyone looking at it will think about mosques and Muslims and think about them negatively."

He accused the Army of reinforcing negative perceptions of Muslims.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/n...re/8609650.stm

Here is an image of the firing range, which undoubtedly depicts a mosque:

This is very insensitive at best, and a deliberate insult at worst.
Either way, it will do nothing for the relationship between the UK government and UK Muslims ... :hmm:

aadil77
04-12-2010, 07:08 PM
next they'll start using images of thobe and turban wearing muslims as target practice

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Supreme
04-12-2010, 07:35 PM
I agree with glo. This is incredibly insensitive.

Pygoscelis
04-12-2010, 08:09 PM
Unless its done to familiarize the soldiers with the architechture they will be fighting around or something, I can't think of any other reason for such a thing. And yes it is very insensitive.

Argamemnon
04-12-2010, 08:21 PM
It shows their true intentions, they want to invade more Muslim countries.

glo
04-13-2010, 06:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
Unless its done to familiarize the soldiers with the architechture they will be fighting around or something, I can't think of any other reason for such a thing. And yes it is very insensitive.
That's the reason the Army spokesperson gave; and also that the buildings were not intended to be shot at or shot down, but just part of the scenery.

I am not entirely convinced by that statement, but then I don't understand how the army functions and what strategy are common-place in training ...

Ummu Sufyaan
04-13-2010, 07:35 AM
what are you on? unbelievable.

islamirama
04-13-2010, 06:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
You mean like this?

or like this?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!