/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What type of dates are you breaking your fast with?

S<Chowdhury
04-12-2010, 11:01 AM
With the exception of Ajwa dates (those favoured by the Prophet Muhammad - P.B.U.H), Medjool dates are probably the most expensive but also the most delicious dates in the world. They stand out compared to other dates mainly because of their size.

Last Ramadan I ventured to a halal grocery store (in a predominantly Muslim area) and was about to purchase some of these delicious dates until I saw the sign "produce of Israel" on the box – I was really angered and left the store immediately. Again a couple of days ago I ventured to a local supermarket and noticed the same dates – this time labelled produce of West Bank - again I did not purchase these dates.

The reason for this is mainly due to the fact that produce from Israel (fruit and vegetables) such as dates are mainly produced in occupied Palestinian land such as the West Bank (these are some of the most beautiful and fertile lands in the Arab world) – but most of these lands are run by illegal settlers who employ Palestinians with some of the harshest working conditions. Investigative reporting by Israeli newspapers such as Haaretz had exposed these findings.

The European Union and some of our largest supermarkets in Europe turn a blind eye towards this. An even greater worry is the ignorance set by owners of halal grocery chains who in one way during the month of Ramadan might have a collection box from charities to help oppressed Palestinians yet at the same time will be financing their oppressors by selling profitable crops such as dates from Israel and occupied Palestine in their shops!

It’s time for an ethical campaign – a campaign on the type of food we buy. Innovative Minds and the Islamic Human Rights Commission are calling on campaigners to create awareness in their communities about the boycott of Israeli goods, and in particular Israeli dates, this Ramadan.

BOYCOTT ISRAELI DATES

Most of the Israeli date crop – up to 80%, is exported, mainly to Europe where it has around 10% market share. In 2005, dates were Israel’s leading fruit export. The two major Israeli companies involved are Agrexco and Hadi-klaim.

Agrexco, half owned by the Israeli government, handles 60-70% of all goods produced in the illegal Settlements. Its dates have brand names Carmel, Jordan Plains and Jordan Valley.

Hadiklaim sells 65 percent of the all dates produced in Israel. Its dates have brand names King Solomon and Jordan River. They also supply Israeli dates to supermarkets and retail chains who market them under their own brand names. These include Marks & Spencer's, Sainsbury's, Tesco's, and Waitrose.

In order to educate our communities on this issue two videos had been produced by Innovative Minds (see below). There are also leaflets and posters available from their website. Click here http://inminds.co.uk/boycott-israeli-dates.php

If you find this information useful please pass this to other brothers and sisters. It’s time to start campaigning with our wallets – its time we stopped trading with these oppressors. Make sure you look before you buy. If you find a halal grocery store that sells dates from Israel then notify them of their error and if they don’t change then find alternative places to shop.

If you want to break your fast with delicious dates from Palestine as well as sample other produce then there are various shops listed on the Zaytoun.org website. Zaytoun is an ethical business established to support marginalized farming communities in Palestine. Zaytoun helps Palestinion farmers access the UK market and ensures that the money made from sales goes back to the right people.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
04-12-2010, 02:04 PM
:sl:

I do not think it is possible to purchase any brand of Palestinian Dates without it supporting Israel. The international trade market no longer recognizes any place as Palestine. Both the West Bank and Gaza are considered to be areas of Israel and pay Israeli taxes. This is the big issue and way Palestine is fighting for independence from Israel.

Sadly the people of the West Bank and Gaza have no currency of their own and have to use Israeli Currency, Israeli postage and pay Israeli taxes. Until the West Bank and Gaza are free, Supporting Palestinians supports Israel. To fully boycott Israel one needs to also boycott Palestinian products which sadly hurts the Palestinians even more than it hurts Israel.

Nokiacrazi
04-12-2010, 02:38 PM
To be honest, living in either the US or Europe it would be very difficult to boycott this fake nation, as the governments of US and Europe probably give hundreds of millions to them, as well as weapons and supplies.

Woodrow
04-12-2010, 03:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nokiacrazi
To be honest, living in either the US or Europe it would be very difficult to boycott this fake nation, as the governments of US and Europe probably give hundreds of millions to them, as well as weapons and supplies.
Actually, much of the world supports them financially. Often without knowing it. One of the primary incomes for people in Israel is investment in international corporations. It can be reasonably expected that if a corporation sells stocks, a disproportionately high number of Israelis will buy the stocks and benefit from the profits. Also Israel is one of the largest arms and ammunition exporters. If any government is using firearms, chances are at least some of the components of them are manufactured in Israel. The 6 day war with Egypt is a classic. The Egyptian Army was using ammunition for their Hakim rifles, made by an Israeli company in Europe. The Hakim rifles themselves were made by Ljuman in Switzerland. Israel would have still profited even if they had lost the war. They probably even profit from the home made rockets fired from Gaza. The explosive components are usually smuggled in. Who manufactures those components?

I doubt if it is possible to buy any international products without an Israeli Investment brokerage firm profiting. If you don't raise something in your own yard, it probably will have Israeli ties in either the material, shipping or financing. Israel does not need to manufacture any products, they have tied up international trade and are now supported by every country that imports or exports any product.

Even the Halal food market.

For example:
Controversy around Al-Safa's Halal continues
Muslim consumers have a right to know the following facts about the products produced by "Al-Safa" a Canada based company.
What is in a Name?
When you look at the name of the company, it reads "Al-Safa." What a beautiful Islamic name! When you look at the logo of the company, it has a mosque, minaret, and date trees. What a beautiful Islamic symbol! To further win the hearts of the Muslim consumer, Al-Safa has "Halal" written in Arabic on its packages. What an alluring catchword!
Furthermore, when you call at the toll free number given on the green colored flier and ads, the recording at the other side starts, with "Assalam - Alaikum" . What a beautiful greeting! After the greeting, a female voice runs the menu. The first two names that she mentions are Muslim names, as if the company is owned and run by Mr. Q and sister M. The other non-Muslim names follow these two Muslim names.
Behind the facade of this outward appearance, i.e., the name (Al-Safa), Islamic symbolism, Muslim names of personnel, etc., the fact is that Al-Safa is owned and operated by a non-Muslim (Jew). There is nothing wrong in having the company owned and operated by a Jew. Muslims routinely by things produced by Jews, Hindus, and others. Muslims even buy Kosher products all the time because Quran allows Muslims to do that. Muslims are very open minded consumers. What is wrong is the deception of the identity. Muslim consumer should refuse to be fooled by such deceptions. Muslim consumer has a right to know the facts. Let the facts be known.
Source http://www.mail-archive.com/hidayahn.../msg08033.html

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ramadhan
04-12-2010, 03:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nokiacrazi
probably?
more like certainly.
Israel is the recipient of the largest US foreign aid EVERY SINGLE YEAR from the 50s until 2003 when invasion of Iraq forced the US to spend more in Iraq and counted it as "aid".

Per capita basis, Israelis receives more assistance from the US government than their own US citizens.

I'm surprised not many US citizens are outraged by this.

Khairaddin
04-12-2010, 03:57 PM
tunisian dates :D

Nokiacrazi
04-12-2010, 04:51 PM
Well. I shall continue making dua that all Muslims return to the Qur'an and Sunnah insha'allah. Allah will surely open the path. Allah knows best.

ardianto
04-12-2010, 04:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Khairaddin
tunisian dates :D
I like it too.

I notice, typical of Tunisian dates is, it served with its stalks.

Woodrow
04-12-2010, 05:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
I like it too.

While the Medjool Dates of occupied Palestinian land are best. Medjool are raised in a number of places now. Tunisian, Algerian, Somalian, Moroccan do some growing of them and they are often very good. However from those countries for hand eating the Halaway Date is probably best and the best for Cooking would be the Zahidi.

ardianto
04-13-2010, 03:57 AM
I can't remember how many kind of dates that I have eaten, but I like all of those. So, I have no favorite dates. I bought it from the market or got it from people who back from hajj or umrah.

But I still remember, in 70's and 80's there were dates from California. But now, dates in my place were coming from Middle East or North Africa.

Khairaddin
04-13-2010, 05:19 PM
I like it too.

YEP...very sweet and soft but firm... simply the best...with some milk yum

Woodrow
04-13-2010, 05:55 PM
I can't remember how many kind of dates that I have eaten, but I like all of those. So, I have no favorite dates. I bought it from the market or got it from people who back from hajj or umrah.

But I still remember, in 70's and 80's there were dates from California. But now, dates in my place were coming from Middle East or North Africa.
There are still quite a few dates produced in California, probably more than at any time in the past. The 2 largest brands are Dromedary and Sunsweet. I personally suspect that with the growing Muslim population in the USA, the USA market has increased and now there are few left for export. Perhaps the market will change as the Date orchards in Arizona are beginning to produce. Large orchards of Medjool have been planted in Arizona and Medjool Dates from Arizona are showing up on local markets. This may free up more California dates for export. Medjools are also being grown in California and several other states. All of the Medjools in the USA come from 11 shhots brought here in 1927. It took a long time for them to finally multiply enough to be marketable.

The Medjool Date Story
The Medjool Date StoryThe date itself is probably man’s oldest cultivated fruit. Ancient writings depict date palms growing in Egypt in the fifth century B.C. Medjools were once the most prized dates in the whole Mediterranean area. Moors carried Medjool dates to Spain and they were especially prized there by Moorish royalty. Then for centuries after the Arab occupation, Spaniards sent carefully packed boxes of Medjool dates to friends as gifts. The Medjool would have been lost to the world had not Dr. Walter Swingle, a horticulturist with the US Department of Agriculture, made a trip to French Morocco, observed what he called “the perfect date” and managed to bargain with a desert chieftain for eleven offshoots. These offshoots, sent to the U.S. in 1927, were the nucleus of all the present gardens here. The date gardens Dr. Swingle had observed were rapidly being destroyed by the Beyond Disease and it was very fortunate that the isolated area where Dr. Swingle’s purchase was made seemed to be disease free. The variety later all but disappeared in North Africa. The U.S. Department of Agriculture took no chances and ordered the offshoots kept in quarantine in a remote area in southern Nevada for seven years. In 1935, nine surviving offshoots of the original shipment, plus sixty-four offshoots, which had grown up around them, were brought to the U.S. Date Garden in Indio, where they continued to multiply. In the late 1930’s they were ready for distribution to commercial growers.
SOURCE: http://www.medjooldates.net/Medjool_Dates.html

ardianto
04-14-2010, 04:43 AM
Thank you very much uncle Woodrow.
I guess, if California and Arizona became dates producers, that's because they have deserts.

Some people in Indonesia were trying to plant dates. Only few date palm trees can live and grow here, but without fruit. I think the right place for date palm trees are desert areas that not in equator.

manaal
09-17-2010, 10:04 PM
Fresh dates. Don't know what they are called. Sukkari I think. The dried sukkari is too sweet for me.

They are hard and yellow on the branch and turns juicy and brown when ripe.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!