/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What does islam say about peers ?

distressed
04-13-2010, 02:07 PM
Ive seen numerous adds for this on the telly/magazines and even in the paper.! trust a peer and he can help you sort your probs..and even help with black magic/troubles with parents/illnessess..etc

From my limited knowlege of islam i thought these sorts of practices werent allowed..yet i hear many people go and visit these so called professionals for help ? out of desperation more than anything i guess..

Why ?

haram or halal ?

D

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
04-13-2010, 03:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by distressed
Ive seen numerous adds for this on the telly/magazines and even in the paper.! trust a peer and he can help you sort your probs..and even help with black magic/troubles with parents/illnessess..etc

From my limited knowlege of islam i thought these sorts of practices werent allowed..yet i hear many people go and visit these so called professionals for help ? out of desperation more than anything i guess..

Why ?

haram or halal ?

D
:sl:

I suspect the word peer is being misunderstood or misused. Essentially a peer is an equal,friend or companion. The Qur'an and Ahadith are very clear as to who we should seek as companions, friend, associates and wali. If the help offered is going beyond Islamic Advice, Du'as, and Shared experiences to help understanding, etc. it is approaching something that is not peer help. I suspect it is going beyond legitimate help and support.

Now if we see advertisements offering this type of help and calling it peer help. Run away don't walk-- Bells, sirens, flashing lights, and other warnings should immediately go off in our thoughts. Those people are not peers, they are placing themselves up as "experts, professionals etc." Be cautious, very, very cautious and think first if it is a deceit to trick you out of money or worse blatant fraud to lead you into doubts and shirk.

aadil77
04-13-2010, 03:20 PM
I think he's talking about the asian peers you get, some people beleive by going to these peer babas they can sort your problems out for some money

Woodrow
04-13-2010, 03:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
I think he's talking about the asian peers you get, some people beleive by going to these peer babas they can sort your problems out for some money
In summary I would say those are either:

Ignorant people with good intentions

or very intelligent unscrupulous people skilled at seperating a person from his money.

It is haraam to waste money so I believe seeking the advice of these "Peers" is haraam. But, that is my opinion and if somebody can show I am in error, may they do so.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
CosmicPathos
04-13-2010, 04:00 PM
These peers are very rampant in South Asia. They traditionally were those people who had renounced their life. Sadhu Babas. India has about 2 million Sadhus. A politically dead group of people. They dont have any national record of these people.

But today some peers are making money off this business by making people believe in unseen things.

islamirama
04-13-2010, 04:14 PM
SE Asian peers are fake, either they are conning you out of your money or if they do help you deal with magic than they themselves are doing something major sinful to be dealing with magic. you will find scholars prohibiting going to them. What is source of their power? what islamic or secular university did they go to? where did they learn knowledge from? If peers abandon the world and live like those disconnected from the world than how come they have their own tv station, million dollar business of selling their peerness over tv around the world? what makes them special that they will be able to solve others problems? Surely they can't know more than the scholars who give more islamic and better advice and whose duas are accepted more because of their ibadaah? If a person has problems then they should turn to Allah per sunnah of the Prophet (s) and seek Allah's help. If they have magic issues than again they should turn to Islam, as islam provides the duas and surahs to protect one self and to heal one self if afflicted by this.

tango92
04-13-2010, 09:24 PM
its the crazy helping the desperate. most of these peers are living in a bubble, i reckon

Salahudeen
04-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Don't go to them they just after your money, they make your problem worse. especially the 1s that advertise in news papers they are CON MEN!! they will do magic on you not help you.

distressed
04-14-2010, 07:44 AM
Aadil..im a she not a he.:statisfie

Ok, theres 2 types of peers that im aware of, the ones that advertise, they can sort your probs, by you parting with some cash. or theres another type, who just basically make dua on your behalf ?? Im not really up on religion but my friend was going through a rough patch with her husband..and she visited a peer, who her family know,..anyway, this person said to her that her husband was straying..told her to read certain things, and then said they would make dua on her behalf.

As an outsider, i told her not to trust these sorts of people, and she shouldnt put her faith in2 other people apart from god. Did i say wrong ?

she visited these people, for nearly over a year, and they provided her with false hope..telling her not to worry, etc and things would get sorted. now shes divorced..

as far as i know there was no exchange of money, but i think its wrong to give a person false hope, altho her marriage was on the line, i understand she was desperate, surely the only person to turn to is god..no1 else can really offer you that kind of help can they ?

the reason why she belives in these people is cos shes seen things happen. some1 she knew visited a woman peer cos she was unable to have children..a few months later, with some potion from the peer, the woman had a child..

is this all con ??

brotherubaid
04-14-2010, 09:24 AM
U did good sister u did good may Allah reward u.

Even if they are not after your money or no money was involved , There is no such thing as peer in Islam, I mean a person that u go to to solve ur problems , yes one can go to scholras and righteous people and ask them to make dua , no doubt about that but those who sit at one place and have absolutely no knowledge of quran nor have the meorised it or read the explanation , nor are they aware of any other thibngs , kNow sister that their deeds and actions are beautified for them by shaytaan , they seem to have "Wazeefah" OR "wird" or things to read or taweez for any sort of probelm , And these wazeefahs like saying ayah al kursi 11 times , or saying Ya Hai Ya Qayoum 500 times , these type of dhikrs were nottaught by the Prophet nor did He sala lahu alihi wa sallam tell us its reward and its benefit m For example if ur having problems with ur husband say This thing 679 times for 36 days after asr salah and ur husband will become nprmal , this no one can know unless the Prophet sala lahu alihi wa sallam taught us , No one can "figure" this out themselfes , No one knows the unseen , NO one can write something on a paper n ask u to hangt it in ur house or even astaghfirullah mix it in ur husbands tea or drink , these things are magic n talisms , these will not only destroy ur TEMPORARY life of this world , it wil have grave effects on your akhira. May Allah save us , One should do in ALL problesm what has been proved by The prophet sala lahu alihi wa sallam , In his saheeh ahadeeth , te sahih duaas n dhikrs , and one should always always do lots of istighfaar n seeking forgiveness n stay away from peers who have notthing good to do than sit on tehir behinds n try to mix n blend all sort of ayaat n dhikrs to coem up with new recipes n remedies for all sort of problem , welll i say have they got the knowlede of unseen or are their hands up there reaching in the treasures of Allah , from which Allah gives whomever He wills.

Inna lillah wa inna ilyahi rajoun

distressed
04-14-2010, 11:34 AM
I dont really have much knowledge of islam, but my belief, is to just trust and put your faith in god, thats it. the mixing of the taveez,in water was in fact one of the things that was given to my friend. I just dont agree with giving some1 false hope, its wrong. Is a taveez that you wear for protection haram then ?? I think out of desperation a lot of people especially in smaller communities rely on these peer people.

islamirama
04-14-2010, 06:53 PM
How can people go to these peers who sit there all day doing nothing. How much are they really following islam? In addition to what brother ubaid said, how often do they do salah? are they exempt? what about other obligations of Islam? There are peers who make money and its a good business for them, and there are peers who supposedly don't make money. But is that really true? There may be some out there who are like that but not all. They may make dua for you, give you some potion, get you a job or what not. They usually have a partner or two who are well connected in the world who can network to get you a job letter, get some herbs or other pharmaceutical medicine and make into a "potion" for you and what not. Usually these poor peers do all this "good" stuff for the commoner for free, but when a wealthy loaded person comes with a suitcase full of cash to help with their problem, these peer don't' take the money but direct them to a "friend" peer who will take the money to spend in "good cause". Anyways, not all is as it seems.

Bottom line, don't go to peer nor believe in them. It is shaytan's way of leading you astray. No one can save you from what is written in your qadr (except dua) and no one can give you what isn't written in your qadr (except dua). Allah is the provider, sustainer, healer and caretaker. We should rely on Him and turn to Him for help, no matter how desperate we seem. These peer babas are for the cultural ignorant muslims who put more faith in them in Allah.

perhaps this would help on taweez, not sure if you can read urdu.

2kuayyaz
06-14-2010, 10:57 PM
Aslaam Alaykum,

Basically a couple of days back a Peer came to my city that most of my family went to see. This however led to a debate in my family to whether Peers should be believed or relied upon. My dad says that there is a mention of Peers in the Holy Quran and that they should be believed in. However other members disagree and say there is no mention of them what so ever in the Holy Quran and therefore should ne be relied upon.

I wanna know what your opinion on them are and any quotes from the Holy Quran that mention them.

ardianto
06-15-2010, 04:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 2kuayyaz
Aslaam Alaykum,
Wa'alaikumsalam.
I wanna know what your opinion on them are and any quotes from the Holy Quran that mention them.
There is verse about Wali/Awliya Allah in surah Yunus (verse 62).
But, is this peer really Wali Allah ?.

Abz2000
07-09-2015, 11:41 PM
I went to a funeral last night where the deceased was buried at the hillock of manik pir's grave
From what i understood from the writings on the signs next to the tombs and previous experiences and interactions with other people, they were regarded as respectable scholars by many and were mistaken as sinless saints and specially assisted people deserving of shirk type devotion by others, the signs used terms like "kamil" etc.
I googled the terms "peer meaning islam" and found on wikipedia that it means something along the lines of sheikh, elder, etc.

The title itself seems to denote shirk since none of the sahabah took these elevated titles,
However it should be made clear that many of these people were assisted awliya of Allah who saw themselves as nothing more than humble human beings that were being helped by Allah in order to do the work which pleases Allah.

A good example would be shah jalal ad din al yemeni who was a student, scholar, zuhhad, muhajir and fighter fi sabeel Allah, his father is reported to have been a contemporary of jalal ad din ar rumi, usually sufi-ism....
May Allah not make us of those who exalt their scholars and whos students wrongly venerate their graves after them, and may Allah protect us from these divisions and sects in Islam and return us to the fundamental truths as revealed to His final Messenger Muhammad may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him who came with the simple truth and the best and most perfected guidance.

If one reads shah jalal and his companions' descriptions by ibn battuta and compares it with the current perceptions and venerations, they'll notice a stark contrast.
Not his fault, i've been shown his tiny prayer niche and his sword etc and could envision a man among men who was humble yet fiery and totally trusting in Allah, and who's prayers were accepted by Allah - fast.

The source of power and attraction was the will of Allah to help him in his endeavour since he had a task to complete for Allah's sake.
Not him, nor his grave (may Allah be pleased with him). (silver surfer's board rings a bell).
Also the devotion of his companions is easily understandable due to their acceptance of his authority and command as leader, scholar and military commander - all in submission first and foremost to Allah.

The only ones who will help anyone for venerating his grave is the satans who see it as a useful outpost and source of easy deviation - nothing more than fitnah from Allah like the fitnah of harut and marut.

Most of us know this stuff by now but i've been observing from the marble kissing and three times touching etc that some are still confused.
Hopefully it won't come across as patronizing to the more mature members.

umairlooms
08-12-2015, 07:20 AM
ahhhhh....pir or mystic!

umairlooms
08-12-2015, 07:55 AM
ahhhhh....pir or mystic!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!