/* */

PDA

View Full Version : World's second-tallest building under construction in Saudi ( Mecca)

Güven
04-14-2010, 02:03 PM
World's second-tallest building under construction in Saudi

media xl 3655024 1?20100413193303 -

(AFP) – 22 hours ago

DUBAI — An under-construction hotel complex in Saudi Arabia will feature the world's second-tallest building, topped by a clock six times bigger than London's Big Ben, the hotel's general manager said Tuesday.

The Mecca Royal Clock Tower will be made up of 662 metres (2,171 feet) of concrete structure and a 155-metre (508-foot) crecent-topped metal spire, Mohammed al-Arkubi said at a press conference in Dubai.

Combined, the two parts of the tower in the Muslim holy city of Mecca would be only roughly 11 metres (36 feet) shorter than Dubai's Burj Khalifa, the world's tallest tower at 828 metres (2,717 feet).

Even the concrete section of the Mecca Royal Clock Tower would be taller than the current second-tallest building in the world, the 508-meter (1,676-foot) Taipei 101 in Taiwan.

"The first part of the hotel will open at the end of June, while the clock will begin operating at the end of July," ahead of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which is expected to begin around August 10, Arkubi said.

The German-made clock, billed as "the largest in the world," will have 45-metre (147-foot) wide and 43-metre (141-foot) tall faces on all four sides of the tower, he said.

He added that it will be visible from 17 kilometres (10 miles) away at night and 11 to 12 kilometres (six to seven miles) away during the day.

"Putting Mecca time in the face of Greenwich Mean Time, this is the goal," Arkubi said.

He said the three-billion-dollar, seven-tower complex of hotels, called Abraj al-Bayt Towers, will contain 3,000 rooms and suites, the majority of which will overlook the Grand Mosque, which Muslims face for daily prayers.

The complex is being constructed by the Bin Laden Group, a giant real estate firm, on behalf of the Saudi government, he said.

The complex will be managed by Fairmont Hotels and Resorts and its revenue will be placed in a "waqf," or Islamic trust, devoted to the development and maintenance of Muslim holy sites, Arkubi said.

source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aadil77
04-14-2010, 02:22 PM
who's gonna be able to see the time all the way up there

Güven
04-14-2010, 02:30 PM
I don't like the sight of this, at all. I mean come on, When I go to Mecca (insha'Allah) I want to see the beautiful mountains not some gigantic buildings around me!

What a waste of money. When will they stop.

aadil77
04-14-2010, 02:40 PM
Narrated Abu Huraira: One day while the Prophet was sitting in the company of some people, (The angel) Gabriel came and asked, "What is faith?" Allah's Apostle replied, 'Faith is to believe in Allah, His angels, (the) meeting with Him, His Apostles, and to believe in Resurrection." Then he further asked, "What is Islam?" Allah's Apostle replied, "To worship Allah Alone and none else, to offer prayers perfectly to pay the compulsory charity (Zakat) and to observe fasts during the month of Ramadan." Then he further asked, "What is Ihsan (perfection)?" Allah's Apostle replied, "To worship Allah as if you see Him, and if you cannot achieve this state of devotion then you must consider that He is looking at you." Then he further asked, "When will the Hour be established?" Allah's Apostle replied, "The answerer has no better knowledge than the questioner. But I will inform you about its portents. 1. When a slave (lady) gives birth to her master. 2. When the shepherds of black camels start boasting and competing with others in the construction of higher buildings. And the Hour is one of five things which nobody knows except Allah. The Prophet then recited: "Verily, with Allah (Alone) is the knowledge of the Hour--." (31. 34) Then that man (Gabriel) left and the Prophet asked his companions to call him back, but they could not see him. Then the Prophet said, "That was Gabriel who came to teach the people their religion." Abu 'Abdullah said: He (the Prophet) considered all that as a part of faith. (Book #2, Hadith #47) - Bukhari

Its just meant to happen, excessive and unnecessary spending everywhere

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Nájlá
04-14-2010, 03:08 PM
Sorry but that Buliding looks ugly.

Check other tall bulidings to be bulit before 2020. http://www.sceneadvisor.com/todays-h...020-11548.html

Subhanallah like these bulidings will last forever, what a waste.

Alpha Dude
04-14-2010, 03:14 PM
I don't like the sight of it either but do think it's somewhat of a necessity now due to the soaring number of people doing hajj/umrah. Everbody wants to be as close as possible to the holy sites.

Cabdullahi
04-14-2010, 03:31 PM
it's being built by the bin laden group which speaks volumes about the day and age we're in where the muslim is sickened by inferiority complex and cannot help himself but to confirm all the bloody time.

''at a time when everyone is modernizing if we dont build a carbon copy of big ben near Allah's house we'll feel left out''

that's their mentality, a muslim cannot think like this, we cannot think like materialists, building a hotel that will benefit the hujjaj is ok but building the second tallest building and the biggest clock in the world shows that some muslims have decided to shun the Akhirah and jannatal firdous because they want to be here on earth forever to spend money money as if money is an infinitely flowing tap water subhanallah! :(

will the people to do pilgrimage to Hajj or do pilgrimage to see a clock made out of aluminium

CosmicPathos
04-14-2010, 03:40 PM
I do not know what to say. I cant just say they are doing it in imitation. There very well could be a space issue. They are maximizing per square foot available by accommodating increasing number of Muslims. So its not necessarily a bad thing? isnt it? Depends on their intentions though.

Regarding the design, its not too bad, I just do not like the crescent at the top. Crescent is not in any way an Islamic symbol, that horn-like crescent actually reminds me of Satanists.

Supreme
04-14-2010, 04:12 PM
The building looks nice enough.

Ramadhan
04-14-2010, 04:18 PM
It is such a monstrosity and I don't like the design at all.
I wonder how they will be able to expand masjidil haraam if they are allowed to build such huge structures right in front of it.

I was there last year, and it was a bit distracting to me because you can totally see it from the tawaf area.
It helped people who are disoriented inside the masjid to find the gate where they came from, though.

Danah
04-14-2010, 08:50 PM
Funny how people in the gulf competing over whose building is the tallest :hmm:
Whose next? I wonder :?

IslamicRevival
04-14-2010, 11:26 PM
So called 'MUSLIM' country. These people make me sick. Blow money on worldly crap but do not help those who are suffering in Palestine. Absolutely disgusting.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
04-14-2010, 11:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
who's gonna be able to see the time all the way up there
lol funny never thought about that :\
But this whole competition of having tall buildings is still on SubhaanAllaah

Ğħαrєєвαħ
04-14-2010, 11:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nájlá
Sorry but that Buliding looks ugly.

Check other tall bulidings to be bulit before 2020. http://www.sceneadvisor.com/todays-h...020-11548.html

Subhanallah like these bulidings will last forever, what a waste.
Now the pics in that site are silly SubhaanAllaah!...
Its like every country is competiting with each other, to show they are rich and "to show were rich, we have to have a tall building!, if we dont were then poor" saddos...
May Allaah guide these fools ...Aaameen..

Ğħαrєєвαħ
04-14-2010, 11:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
it's being built by the bin laden group which speaks volumes about the day and age we're in where the muslim is sickened by inferiority complex and cannot help himself but to confirm all the bloody time.

''at a time when everyone is modernizing if we dont build a carbon copy of big ben near Allah's house we'll feel left out''

that's their mentality, a muslim cannot think like this, we cannot think like materialists, building a hotel that will benefit the hujjaj is ok but building the second tallest building and the biggest clock in the world shows that some muslims have decided to shun the Akhirah and jannatal firdous because they want to be here on earth forever to spend money money as if money is an infinitely flowing tap water subhanallah! :(

will the people to do pilgrimage to Hajj or do pilgrimage to see a clock made out of aluminium
Subhaan`Allaah agree..

Ğħαrєєвαħ
04-14-2010, 11:57 PM
So what reason exactly did they build this so called "tall building" then? for business? as if they have the guts to create a big building infront of the Masjid Al Haram..seriously?

IslamicRevival
04-15-2010, 12:01 AM

This image for some reason sends shivers down my spine. Why is it so tall? Look how close it is to the Ka'bah :( This confirms whet we already knew, The Americans have the Saudis in their back-pocket.

Qayamat is surely approaching! Individuals competing to build the tallest buildings, This sign has been fulfilled, Whats even more scary is, its in Saudi, A so called 'Muslim country

Zafran
04-15-2010, 12:35 AM
Salaam

Prophecy being fufiled - I'm sure the saudis will be aware of it.

peace

islamirama
04-15-2010, 01:36 AM
Whatever the reason it maybe, we should not be quick to curse and smite the saudis for it. We don't know their intentions and we should go guessing what it is. I'm sure all this is for better facilitation of the hajjis and accommodations do to limited space and what not. Good news is that its not owned by some kuffar company but rather the gov't and is just being handled/managed by a western company. As stated below, all the revenue will go in a bank to be used for the holy sites.

The complex will be managed by Fairmont Hotels and Resorts and its revenue will be placed in a "waqf," or Islamic trust, devoted to the development and maintenance of Muslim holy sites, Arkubi said.]
With that said, the hadith says arabs shepherd herders will compete in tall buildings. Regardless which country is doing it, we are seeing competition in it and another prophecy being fulfilled. It serves two lessons, that Islam is true religion for those that deny it and 2nd we are nearing the last Hour as more signs are coming true.

The_Prince
04-15-2010, 04:24 AM
people are asking why this is being done etc etc. just to make money bla bla bla. didnt you guys read the article? the money they make will be used to maintain the holy sites. furthermore, the city of Makkah, gets alot of pilgrims, and many of the buildings in Makkah are getting old, and its getting hard to accomadate all these people, hence they are building top class accomadation for the pilgrims, to make things safer , and to make things easier.

i for one like it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!