/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Henna Tattoo Reactions

جوري
04-15-2010, 02:45 AM

Picture of Henna Tattoo Reactions

Image Source: Dr. P. Marazzi / Photo Researchers, Inc.

The Food and Drug Administration has received complaints from people who have received products marketed as henna temporary tattoos, especially so-called "black henna," at places such as salons and kiosks at beaches and fairs. There have been reports of allergic reactions, skin irritations, infections, and even scarring. "Black henna" may contain the added "coal tar" color, p-phenylenediamine, also known as PPD, which can cause allergic reactions in some people. Henna itself is made from a plant and typically produces a brown, orange-brown, or reddish-brown tint. Other ingredients must be added to produce other colors. Even brown shades of products marketed as henna may contain other ingredients intended to make them darker or make the stain last longer. While the FDA has approved henna for coloring hair, and PPD is used in cosmetics as a hair dye, neither of these color additives is approved for direct application to the skin.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
04-15-2010, 04:33 PM
Is this henna same as henna that used in Indian or Arab wedding tradition ?.

GuCcI
04-15-2010, 04:48 PM
I would think so ^

Ouch. I know for sure that a lot of henna companies use all sorts of chemicals to achieve various results such as: dries in only 5 minutes! and Deep colour without keeping it set for hours! This is the case with many major brands I've seen in south asia.
Henna tubes manufactured by many companies dont even use real henna leaves anymore, its all artificial product. And it's very annoying because it shouldn't even be called henna in the first place.

Let's just stick to the good old fashioned henna leaves.

جوري
04-15-2010, 05:02 PM
I thought I'd post it because during the summer when my siblings take their young ones on vacation they let them have all sorts of junk and at those types of parks they almost inevitably have their face painted or some 'Henna tattoos' done-- a couple of years ago my cousin ended up with a terrible eye infection from one of those face paintings I have no doubt in my mind.. they don't sterilize anything and kids are a cesspool for all kinds of disease.. so they only serve to make everyone sick for an hour's worth of joy!

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
04-15-2010, 05:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Is this henna same as henna that used in Indian or Arab wedding tradition ?.
:sl: no it is modified with chemicals to give them different hues and staying power..

cat eyes
04-15-2010, 05:31 PM
i have used henna before but did not get any reaction Alhamdulilah but its good you have raised this awareness. i always believed henna is natural and comes from a certain plant but it dose not surprize me that people are putting chemicals in it to make it more advanced. its very popular among pakistani culture where they put it on the brides hand

جوري
04-15-2010, 05:34 PM

these type of things too should be outlawed unless you buy a sterile kit for every kid and make sure it is non-toxic..

Abdul-Raouf
04-15-2010, 06:13 PM
i have a henna tree at ma home.....:)

my mom and sister use them... pluck the leaves put in mixie+lil water......VvvRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrmmmm.....done.

جوري
04-15-2010, 06:14 PM
:sl: wow that sounds nice.. do you mind posting a pic of your Henna tree.. I don't think I have ever seen one..

ardianto
04-16-2010, 03:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
:sl: no it is modified with chemicals to give them different hues and staying power..

:sl:

No wonder.

But I think, that henna is not henna that has approved by FDA, maybe they bought it in black market.

Danah
04-17-2010, 08:09 PM
I saw some beauty salons violate the rules and use some chemicals in the henna claiming that it will make the color darker....but that increase the cases of burns in hands. Many of my relatives suffered from such allergic/burning reactions.

Abdul-Raouf
04-18-2010, 10:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ
:sl: wow that sounds nice.. do you mind posting a pic of your Henna tree.. I don't think I have ever seen one..

Took these pics using my mobile...

The Henna Tree..... in between our house'.. Its summer time in Chennai.. No rain...
The Leaves / trees are off-color... though we water their roots... the trees require a complete shower (rain) to get their color. :)

The Leaves....>>>

From top floor...the head of the treee...>>> It has white/yellowish...little flowers.

Asiyah3
04-18-2010, 10:45 AM
^It's awesome masha'llah.

Danah
04-18-2010, 10:55 AM
very nice pictures, we had a henna tree in our back courtyard too :)

ardianto
04-18-2010, 12:16 PM
I think I have seen henna tree (Lawsonia Enermis) in Indonesia. But I don't know what is local name for this tree.

جوري
04-18-2010, 04:01 PM
Masha'Allah akhi.. jazaka Alllah khyran.. it is beautiful may Allah swt bless your house..

Snowflake
04-20-2010, 05:45 PM
:sl: MashaAllah that's a big henna tree. I didn't know they grew that tall. Black henna has black hair dye in it, hence the allergic reactions for some.

joshef
06-29-2012, 10:38 AM
Mostly these henna tattoo are safe to use and there is no reaction from it. But nowadays many companies are using chemical with it, to have long last effect of it. So, before using these henna powder please check the brand of it. It should not be any local brand.

Endymion
06-29-2012, 11:47 AM
My sis in law told me about chemical reaction of henna.I'm not a big fan of henna,just like it for one day or two but i begin to dislike it when it starts fading and i also read a hadith once that Muhammad SAW didn't like its smell.Can anyone provide me the hadith plz.

ardianto
06-29-2012, 03:10 PM
Mostly of henna that available in Indonesia are made in India, the rest are made in Pakistan, and Arab.

But I never heard any problem with henna in Indonesia.

dqsunday
06-29-2012, 10:43 PM
Just wanted to add something given the general topic here is allergic reactions and dangers to a 'all natural' product. Just because something is completely natural doesn't mean you can't have an allergic reaction to. Also, all these natural products, regardless if anything 'artificial' is added to them, can cause allergic reactions. Artificial chemicals or additives (even if they too are derived from natural products) can cause allergic reactions, or even be harmful especially if taken in excess. All these herb products that are being listed as the latest best aid/preventative/cure, often aren't FDA approved either. Even if they are, most are just fads. They may have some beneficial effect but it is often so minimal, the extra cost is not worth it.

Something to keep in mind when the media starts touting the latest cure all/super food.

A person can be allergic to anything, natural or man made. Bee stings, peanuts...big allergy items and they are all natural.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!