/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Gluten intolerance or allergy

Argamemnon
04-15-2010, 04:29 PM
Lately, I've been feeling extremely tired and sick on certain days. Today I really felt dead inside (hard to explain and very frightening), but after exercising I feel slightly better and more alive alhamdulillah. I've started lifting weights, but just moderately.. not heavy at all so I can't imagine this to be the cause. I've been eating more whole wheat bread for energy, and it seems that I have some of the symptoms of gluten intolerance or allergy. The extreme tiredness and feeling totally empty/dead bothers me most. I think I will ask for a test... does anybody know somebody who has gluten intolerance?

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Rabi Mansur
04-15-2010, 04:57 PM
Yes I have been diagnosed with gluten intolerance. I've been on a gluten free diet for about 3 months now and I feel much better than I did before. I don't feel as tired in the afternoons and don't feel "bloated" like I sometimes did before. I wasn't really sick, though, like some people.

I work out a lot so I was in really good shape before, but now my abs are starting to show again. Pretty cool. I think a lot of people have gluten intolerance and don't know it. It is different than an allergy. It can manifest with a lot of different symptoms, they don't all have to be stomach problems.

Peace.

Argamemnon
04-15-2010, 05:40 PM
Did they do a blood test? Has anybody ever felt like a vegetable? So tired that you can barely talk? This is something I have only experienced in the last 6-12 months. It's so frightening and there is nothing you can do subhan'Allah.

Rabi Mansur
04-15-2010, 06:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Argamemnon
Did they do a blood test? Has anybody ever felt like a vegetable? So tired that you can barely talk? This is something I have only experienced in the last 6-12 months. It's so frightening and there is nothing you can do subhan'Allah.
Yes they did blood tests. If it is celiacs they may also want to do a biopsy. If I were you I would at least go to the doctor and see if they will order some bloodwork... gluten may be messing with your health. I really don't feel anywhere near as tired as I used to since I have gone gluten free.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Argamemnon
04-15-2010, 07:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by rabimansur
Yes they did blood tests. If it is celiacs they may also want to do a biopsy. If I were you I would at least go to the doctor and see if they will order some bloodwork... gluten may be messing with your health. I really don't feel anywhere near as tired as I used to since I have gone gluten free.
Thanks, I might see my general practitioner. I'm also suspicious of lactose intolerance, lol. They will think I'm crazy..

جوري
04-16-2010, 12:49 AM
^^ it sounds like the problem is more functional than organic.. be that as it may folks who suffer from gluten intolerance usually present with weight loss (have you lost weight of late?) also foul smelling stools and similar symptoms to those with lactose intolerance mainly diarrhea, bloating and it has a connection with another skin disorder 'dermatitis herpetiformis' though a person may certainly have gluten intolerance without dermatological manifestations and rabi is right.. you'll need a biopsy to see the brush border of your intestine.. how about you switch to a gluten free diet and keep a journal and see if you fare better?

I don't think you are crazy, because I am familiar with those feelings you have just described but you should go to the doctor anyway to make sure you are in tip top shape..

and Allah swt knows best

Argamemnon
04-16-2010, 09:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
^^ it sounds like the problem is more functional than organic.. be that as it may folks who suffer from gluten intolerance usually present with weight loss (have you lost weight of late?) also foul smelling stools and similar symptoms to those with lactose intolerance mainly diarrhea, bloating and it has a connection with another skin disorder 'dermatitis herpetiformis' though a person may certainly have gluten intolerance without dermatological manifestations and rabi is right.. you'll need a biopsy to see the brush border of your intestine.. how about you switch to a gluten free diet and keep a journal and see if you fare better?

I don't think you are crazy, because I am familiar with those feelings you have just described but you should go to the doctor anyway to make sure you are in tip top shape..

and Allah swt knows best

I have not lost weight.. extreme fatigue is the main problem, but I also have shortness of breath as well as symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (this is not new).. and about 6 months ago I had diarrhea when I was eating yogurt daily and this went on for months.. but it stopped when I started eating less yogurt, interesting...i might stop eating bread like you said and see if I fare beter...eventually i also want some tests to see if i don't have some food allergies.

thank you

PouringRain
04-16-2010, 01:45 PM
I agree with Skye that one thing you can do is to eliminate the foods that you suspect and journal how you feel. You could also do a full elimination diet and then gradually reintroduce foods back into your diet, journaling how your body feels and reacts to each.

From my understanding, and I am not the expert on this point, if you eliminate gluten entirely from your diet, then you can not be tested for the intolerance later on. You have to be tested while you are still consuming gluten in your diet. I heard that repeatedly on a GF forum I once joined.

I am gluten free and dairy free, as well as a few other things. Going gluten free is not as easy as simply not eating bread. You will need to check labels on everything. The same for dairy elimination. You'd be surprised how many things contain gluten and/ or dairy. If you have questions, feel free to ask. This website has some information on celiac disease and they also have some of the absolute best products.

جوري
04-16-2010, 02:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Argamemnon
I have not lost weight.. extreme fatigue is the main problem, but I also have shortness of breath as well as symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (this is not new).. and about 6 months ago I had diarrhea when I was eating yogurt daily and this went on for months.. but it stopped when I started eating less yogurt, interesting...i might stop eating bread like you said and see if I fare beter...eventually i also want some tests to see if i don't have some food allergies.

thank you

:sl: shortness of breath can be due to anything from anxiety to anemia to heart and lung problems to GERD and that is why it is imperative to go get a workup.. I had the same problem and was just too proud and annoyed that I need to see a doctor.. and I found out several things wrong with me, including a hereditary form of anemia that other doctors just dismissed as iron deficiency plus various vitamin deficiencies.. I can tell you that some of my symptomtology has been relieved by sticking to an exercise and vitamin/mineral (pharmaceutical grade) combo and not eating past 7 in the evening.. meanwhile you can try activated charcoal when you feel short of breath and bloated see if that brings you some relief..

make sure it isn't gelatin coated with pork as many are..

but it is imperative you go to your GP and get a basic workup.. there is no point to suffer needlessly, I hadn't seen a physician in 6 yrs and I was just getting worse and worse all around, then one day I thought I really can't ignore these symptoms much longer.. maybe it isn't depression or anxiety .. maybe it is something else..

Argamemnon
04-17-2010, 12:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ
:sl: shortness of breath can be due to anything from anxiety to anemia to heart and lung problems to GERD and that is why it is imperative to go get a workup.. I had the same problem and was just too proud and annoyed that I need to see a doctor.. and I found out several things wrong with me, including a hereditary form of anemia that other doctors just dismissed as iron deficiency plus various vitamin deficiencies.. I can tell you that some of my symptomtology has been relieved by sticking to an exercise and vitamin/mineral (pharmaceutical grade) combo and not eating past 7 in the evening.. meanwhile you can try activated charcoal when you feel short of breath and bloated see if that brings you some relief..

make sure it isn't gelatin coated with pork as many are..

but it is imperative you go to your GP and get a basic workup.. there is no point to suffer needlessly, I hadn't seen a physician in 6 yrs and I was just getting worse and worse all around, then one day I thought I really can't ignore these symptoms much longer.. maybe it isn't depression or anxiety .. maybe it is something else..

:sl:

i might try this, who knows.. jazakallahu khayran..

seek-paradise
06-10-2010, 05:41 PM
Brother beside medicines Don't forget to make the ruqia

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!