/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is Facebook making our deen or spoiling it?

Duhaa786M
04-15-2010, 07:31 PM
:sl:
According to me it is really spoiling our deen . What the hell is there in it?What I notice in that website is .... Photos= I think you can understand what do i mean.How most photos are there in that website.1000 times astagfirullah.I entered in this website and saw some profiles in which they have the following communities...(called stores)
Life without music and in the same store they have Namaz-only way to go jannah
How can these two come together? how can music will come (if however namaz is not there)
If only you open the community so called Namaz-only way to go jannah and saw comments of people and 'what kind' of pictures they have its a total disgrace.if you open those person profile what do u see?Do u see what they ask to thier lord almighty? so what is your opinion on facebook?
Waiting for a serious replies.
:wa:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
islamirama
04-15-2010, 07:49 PM

Beware of Facebook and other Social sites

cat eyes
04-15-2010, 07:57 PM
how many threads we had about face book is countless lol yeah i practically judge everybody who uses face book. guys only go on there to look at non mehram picts of women and to chat them up and the sisters use it for the same purpose

cat eyes
04-15-2010, 08:00 PM
;Dand you get old women in there thirties chatting up younger men makes me sick+o(

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Life_Is_Short
04-15-2010, 08:07 PM
Facebook is a new disease.

Deadly for some. :skeleton:

tango92
04-15-2010, 09:11 PM
facebook is just another expression of material society. a new social pressure for some, and others following a percieved increase in social wellbeing.

recently facebook changed the defaault setting on user account photos from private to public, it provoked some outcry but most people dont know about it. they didnt do it so you could identify your freinds easier its to further traffic to the site so men can check out womens photos in the hopes of finding you know what. just further exploitation of women.

really the concept of facebook at its core is good. but much of the business model of today is based on sex appeal. facebook is just pushing the boundaries a bit further.

Ummu Sufyaan
04-16-2010, 03:04 AM
Edit

tigerkhan
04-16-2010, 04:02 AM
ASALMALIKUM
Facebook making our deen.... !!!!!!!!!!!!! How can islam be promoted by exposing ur views/pictures/idea/chating with non Mahrams........
WaSalam

glo
04-16-2010, 06:39 AM
Do any of you have/had facebook accounts?

Could social networking sites be used to give da'wah or to inform others of Islam?

Ummu Sufyaan
04-16-2010, 09:27 AM
^ i think what people have trouble with is that its bad outweighs its good so its probably best to stay away from those sites, even for dawah.

besides, you can give dawah in so many other ways.

Duhaa786M
04-16-2010, 12:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Do any of you have/had facebook accounts? eeerrrm well not me.

Could social networking sites be used to give da'wah or to inform others of Islam?
it could be used in a way... that will be called 10% of da'wah and 90% of wrong. but i'd rather do it full 100% complete da'wah.

cat eyes
04-16-2010, 12:26 PM

there is a place for dawah and that is away from all the haraam stuff where they can get influenced again so whats the point

islamirama
04-16-2010, 04:55 PM

There are thousands of islamic or political applications one can add. There are plenty of muslim groups out there one can join, i know this is all many sisters do on there. They add only females, they are on all these groups, passing the messages around and what not. So there is some room for dawaah and what not. However, with the amount of time being spent there and what not, i think it is wasting of time and being counterproductive. Spending of our youth and time will also be questioned on the J-day. As for the majority, they are not there for dawah or to receive it. they are there to socialize. I learned so much about the "islamic" girls of my community from there facebook to know that they are not marriage material (for me at at least).

جوري
04-24-2010, 02:12 AM
I have been watching on TV lately that bullying in school has taken a new level now to the extreme where folks harass others on facebook..
to be honest I am not savvy enough to know how that works.. I thought face book is just about posting your pix and having a circle of friends each with a pic but perhaps I am wrong.. anyhow, recently this compounded with on-school harassment has caused the death of this poor 15 year girl..

http://bh.heraldinteractive.com/news...icleid=1244116

and apparently one of the girls who taunted her wrote on her facebook profile some very inappropriate comments regarding the suicide of this girl.

Phoebe Prince, a 15-year-old from South Hadley, Massachusetts, is believed to have committed suicide due to cyber bullying. Friends of Phoebe Prince have reported that the teen, who recently immigrated from Ireland, had been bullied and harassed by classmates. Some of the bullying extended to harassing Phoebe Prince via her Facebook page.
http://www.nowpublic.com/culture/pho...e-2563997.html

there is absolutely no room for this sort of crap.. why would anyone want a portal of evil like this in their home..

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-24-2010, 02:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
how many threads we had about face book is countless lol yeah i practically judge everybody who uses face book. guys only go on there to look at non mehram picts of women and to chat them up and the sisters use it for the same purpose
So you're saying i use it for that purpose? thanks sis... :)

And yea i was gunna say, how many threads must we have about FB?

Hidaaya
04-24-2010, 04:17 AM
I think it's all behind your intentions, and the way you use it. It's sort of impossible to judge everyone who has a facebook account by saying 'Oh look, she/he has a facebook account. She/he must talk to lotsss of guys and girls and whatnot. Astaghfirullah!'

I mean, I have a facebook account and my parents check it occasionally. It should be so so your profile, friends, and everything else won't make your parents unhappy.

and yea, I believe Da'wah is possible through facebook :D

Ummu Sufyaan
04-24-2010, 06:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ
I have been watching on TV lately that bullying in school has taken a new level now to the extreme where folks harass others on facebook..
to be honest I am not savvy enough to know how that works.. I thought face book is just about posting your pix and having a circle of friends each with a pic but perhaps I am wrong.. anyhow, recently this compounded with on-school harassment has caused the death of this poor 15 year girl..

http://bh.heraldinteractive.com/news...icleid=1244116

and apparently one of the girls who taunted her wrote on her facebook profile some very inappropriate comments regarding the suicide of this girl.

http://www.nowpublic.com/culture/pho...e-2563997.html

there is absolutely no room for this sort of crap.. why would anyone want a portal of evil like this in their home..
there was similar a case like that here...that a person commited suicide due to cyber bullying...

but i dont get, why do people take this stuff so seriously?

EllyDicious
04-24-2010, 10:32 AM
I don't think we should blame Facebook but people who use it.
It is made of people who use it.

Everyone has different reasons for using Facebook. Some use it for advertising, some to find old friends and reconnect with them, some use it to find partners etc.
So, Facebook doesn't have 1 meaning and 1 usage ... but it has many, DEPENDING on your purpose.

format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
So I'd say you're totally wrong. You could also use FAcebook to spread the word of God or "advertise" Qur'an.

Just because you've heard that some people look at non-mehram pics [I guess "mehram" means not-appropriate?] or some girls were harassed, bulled and then committed a suicide, and just because there are irresponsible people joining it ... doesn't mean that's the only purpose of Facebook and doesn't mean everyone who joins it is the same.

Because you could be harassed in the same way through e-mails, so are you gonna say 'e-mails should not be used anymore' ?

Everything on the Internet can be dangerous if you are careless and let yourself get carried away by many stupid stuff going on.

EllyDicious
04-24-2010, 10:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummu Sufyaan

I question the same thing.
I don't feel sorry for those people actually.

I think it's ridiculous how some people reach to the point of committing suicide when they're are cyber-bulled ... as if they don't have life outside that **** Internet.

Grofica
04-24-2010, 10:54 AM
I dont know i have a FB account but 1 i never use my real pic on my profile its locked to people i dont know and only family had a few friends i have known since 8th grade are on there... its very limited.

well that and i check it only like every 4 months to be honest i just like it because of the games....

youville rocks... oh and farmville and ok i will admit it i love mafia wars.... (which is not bad like it sounds)

Cabdullahi
04-24-2010, 11:13 AM
i had a facebook account which i closed but now it seems that the facebook people have disclosed my details to all the african conmen....i daily get men from burkina faso sending me emails telling me to send my bank account details and pin code....i dont know what to do now

Güven
04-24-2010, 11:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
i had a facebook account which i closed but now it seems that the facebook people have disclosed my details to all the african conmen....i daily get men from burkina faso sending me emails telling me to send my bank account details and pin code....i dont know what to do now
Make a new e-mail account?

Cabdullahi
04-24-2010, 11:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
Make a new e-mail account?
From Mr Mohamed Hassan

Dear Good Friend,

How are you together with your family members?I think all is well. Despite the fact that I did not know you in person or have i seen you before but due to the reliable revelation,I decided to share this lucrative opportunity with you, I have no other choice, so kindly consider this message as vital, believing that sooner or later we will be multi millonaires,First and foremost, I have to introduce myself to you.

I am MR.MOMHAMED HASSAN, THE FOREIGN OPERATIONS MANAGER OF OUR BANK here in my country, BURKINA FASO WEST AFRICA. I am married with two children.I want you to assist me in other to transfer the sum of TWENTYT FIVE, FIVE Million United States Currency ($25.5,000,000.00) into your reliable account as the Next of Kin to our Foreign Business partner , the original owner of the fund.

He was a foreigner and a multi company holder who died in a plane crash with his family years ago, he deposited the fund in our bank for his business expansion in Africa unfortunately he met this sudden and untimely death and the worst thing that happened was the wife who suppose to be the successor of the account died alongside with him.

Since the deceased left no body behind to claim the fund, as a foreigner, you are in better position for that, and no body will come for the claim after you have applied.If you are ready to assist me, set up a new bank account or forward to me any one avialable so that the process will commence.

I will guide you on how you should apply for the claim so that everything will be smooth and correct. After the transfer, i will resign and come over to your country for the sharing of the fund 50/50 base on the fact that it is two man business.

Finally, note that you are not taking any risk because there will be a legal back up as we commence. Further information will be given to you as soon as I receive.

Fill this information
Your Full Names........................
Phone Number .........................
Age...........................................
Occupation................................
Country ....................................

Your reply.Sincerely,
MR.MOMHAMED HASSAN.
+226 78 29 48 54
This is the latest one i've recieved...i can't change my email because i recieve uni mails on this email account

i am tempted to send some few jokey mails to this guy....

EllyDicious
04-24-2010, 11:49 AM
This is the latest one i've recieved...i can't change my email because i recieve uni mails on this email account

i am tempted to send some few jokey mails to this guy....
These are called spam emails. Those guys are spammers and these type of emails usually contain viruses.
Just delete them. Don't even open them.

It is strongly recommended to not even reply at them.

Cabdullahi
04-24-2010, 11:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by EllyDicious
These are called spam emials. Those guys are spammers and these type of emails usually contain viruses.
Just delete them. Don't even open them.

It is strongly recommended to not even reply at them.
oki doki Insha'Allah

M..x
04-24-2010, 12:37 PM
Tango. I like your comments =)
Facebook can be used in a posstive manner or negative. Just any website can. Even LI.. Incite hatred or promote Islam.
Two sides to a coin and it can be effective means of daw'ah.
Also note, I who have had a facebook account, did not go on it to look at boys and flirt with them, so don't tar everyone with the same brush & see that as the only purpose of creating an account. Its kind of narrow-minded.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-24-2010, 01:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by x Muslimah x
Tango. I like your comments =)
Facebook can be used in a posstive manner or negative. Just any website can. Even LI.. Incite hatred or promote Islam.
Two sides to a coin and it can be effective means of daw'ah.
Also note, I who have had a facebook account, did not go on it to look at boys and flirt with them, so don't tar everyone with the same brush & see that as the only purpose of creating an account. Its kind of narrow-minded.
Yeaaaa seriously. I have my MOM as a friend on fb. What does that tell you? lol. I'm always puttin ayats, hadiths, notes and stuff on there videos included. I dont go there flirtin wiv ppl alhamdulillah. My mom checks mine too occasionally but even b4 that alhamdulillah i do nothin of da sort.

wallahu Alam but I'd not like to be judged along with the people who do this sort of stuff, it's rude and unfair.

As I said a billion times b4 in the other fb threads, just because THIS is an islamic forum doesnt mean ppl cant do the same?? Even get each others adds? Come on now. Everytin on da net is dangerous, depends how YOU use it.

جوري
04-24-2010, 01:44 PM
there was similar a case like that here...that a person commited suicide due to cyber bullying...

when you are 15 you are very worried what people think of you
when you are 40 you don't give a dam* who thinks what of you
when you are 60 you realize no one was thinking of you all along..

long leap between 15 to 60

Cabdullahi
04-24-2010, 02:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Light of Heaven
Yeaaaa seriously. I have my MOM as a friend on fb. What does that tell you? lol. I'm always puttin ayats, hadiths, notes and stuff on there videos included. I dont go there flirtin wiv ppl alhamdulillah. My mom checks mine too occasionally but even b4 that alhamdulillah i do nothin of da sort.

wallahu Alam but I'd not like to be judged along with the people who do this sort of stuff, it's rude and unfair.

As I said a billion times b4 in the other fb threads, just because THIS is an islamic forum doesnt mean ppl cant do the same?? Even get each others adds? Come on now. Everytin on da net is dangerous, depends how YOU use it.
Probably the staunchest FB fan.......Fb gives your bloody details to burkina faso men! its hype!! :(

piXie
04-24-2010, 02:39 PM
I got an invitation from one of my friends once.. to join face book. I was quite fascinated by some features there - they are so ridiculous and funny. I threw some sheeps and cheese cakes at her and sent her a few smacks. Then I disabled my account so she couldn't do it back at me. :embarrass

That was it. Never went on there again.

ardianto
04-24-2010, 02:48 PM
Many of my friends think, I am a weird man cause I never join in facebook but often discuss in web forums.

If a Muslim gives da'wah in forums or blog, he must be get some response. Maybe pro or maybe contra.
But if a Muslim gives da'wah in facebook ......., this is same like talk to a flock of deaf goats.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-24-2010, 03:04 PM
Probably the staunchest FB fan.......Fb gives your bloody details to burkina faso men! its hype!! :(
lol i dont know what happened wiv u but never had that happen plus that could happen with ANY sites. Actually come to think of it ive been getting random add requests on msn :s I dunno where its comin from but its annoying! Either FB or sometin else :S

EllyDicious
04-24-2010, 03:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Many of my friends think, I am a weird man cause I never join in facebook but often discuss in web forums.
You're not weird, nor those who use FAcebook.

InfiniteMercy
04-24-2010, 07:08 PM
Like it or not social networking sites have got a purpose (Fb jus happens to b the most popular one at the moment, mayb someday soon it will b replaced)..I need Fb to keep in touch with friends, relatives, etc, and i think without it i feel somewhat isolated in a way :(

Sawdah
04-25-2010, 02:47 AM
Re: Is Facebook making our deen or spoiling it?
Honestly, I don't think Facebook does anything to make our deen. Yes, there are Islamic pages and groups here and there, but I don't think anyone really cares about them.

Back when I had a FB, I saw this page called "I see a group, I laugh and join Group, I never look at it again" and it's true, no one really goes back to the groups they've joined.

The only way I can see Facebook spoling our deen is if we have anyone as friends on it. Now a days, people have so many pictures of themselves and write on peoples walls where the world can see. It's nuts.

Though, if you're not there to socilize, but for other reasons, than inshAllah it shouldn't have a bad effect on you.

shuraimfan4lyf
05-17-2010, 06:59 AM

She wasnt just getting bullied online...She was also getting harrassed at school because she was Irish.
"(CNN) -- Nine Massachusetts teenagers have been charged with involvement in a months-long campaign of bullying that led to the suicide in January of a 15-year-old girl, a prosecutor said Monday.

Phoebe Prince's body was found hanging in the stairway leading to her family's second-floor apartment in South Hadley, Northwestern District Attorney Elizabeth D. Scheibel told reporters in the western Massachusetts town of Northampton.

"It appears that Phoebe's death on January 14 followed a torturous day for her when she was subjected to verbal harassment and physical abuse," she said.

Earlier in the day, Prince had been harassed as she studied in the library at South Hadley High School, apparently in the presence of a faculty member and several students, none of whom reported it until after the death, Scheibel said.

Prince, who had recently moved to the area with her family from Ireland, was also harassed as she walked through the halls of the school that day and as she walked on the street toward her home, Scheibel said.

The harassment that day, by one male and two females, "appears to have been motivated by the group's displeasure with Phoebe's brief dating relationship with a male student that had ended six weeks earlier," she said..." Read the rest http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/03/29/...ide/index.html

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-17-2010, 11:25 AM
^wow SubhaanAllaah..this stuff is scary..and shocking!!!!...
School kids everywhere esp public schools can be really mean, this is due to bad parenting and a bad community around them making them go bully kids at school..these kids probably think this girl dying is hilarious..wish they learn their lesson! Makes ppl feel so angered up..May Allaah guide the wicked people to the right path Ameen

Detritavore
12-14-2010, 09:51 AM
My opinion on facebook?

Non-existent, for the most part.

I personally don't use facebook-- don't see the appeal really-- but nor do I chastise the use to of it. I do think that, like many things, it can be misused yes, but at the end of the day this is not a reflection of the site as a whole but of individuals.

GuestFellow
12-14-2010, 11:58 AM

I'm not a social type of person, so I never considered using Facebook. I think it is too risky to post private information about yourself on the Internet. :skeleton:

fawada28
12-14-2010, 05:36 PM
If you are on facebook you are welcome to add message me and add me, I made a group called "Wichita Muslims" on there to keep people informed and connected and I send out a small hadith every week

fawada28
12-14-2010, 05:40 PM
In my personal opinion if you just use it to stay in touch with your friends and family in a serious manner and only spread positive, I dont really see much wrong with it. You just have to stay away from the bad, just like the real world

SafaAuditore
12-15-2010, 05:29 PM
Honestly, I think it depends. I mean, sometimes it’s used for like radio stations or even Papa Johns pizza! Lol I didn’t understand why on earth they would need to go to FB buut…yea..
If you’re going on there and doing wrong things like talking with nonmahrams, then yea ttly spoiling our deen, BUT if you’re going there for like a group or club, then why would that be spoiling your deen?
A bunch of schools here have clubs like book clubs, photography clubs, etc…They all have FB accounts titled things like.., “_SchoolName__ Book Club” or something, and that’s where everyone would go when they have questions or meeting reminders or something. It’s helpful if you’re not really doing anything bad,…but even if you’re not there’s a chance the devil would tell u to do so…
I don’t have an account there, but this is just my input on the topic.

أحمد
12-15-2010, 05:43 PM

Either way, there's room for more harm than good; I think Abdullahi's example of conmen sending him emails, should be easy enough to understand a harmful sde to facebook.

Grofica
12-15-2010, 06:36 PM
I dont know i love FB. It makes it easy to share things or ideas with family all over the world. and 99.9% of my contacts are all family. and 2-3 friends i have known for 15+ years. and of course my hubby. i just keep my profile unsearchable. and most of my gal pal and cousins and i play on farmville most of the time. or we "battle" in bejeweled.

i think it all depends on how you use it. i dont just add anyone but its fun to mess around with and kill some times chatting with family. :-)

Grofica
12-15-2010, 06:38 PM

Yes but this girl either had to have the Bully as a friend or have her privacy settings so anyone could post. i think there is a lot to be said for the privacy settings and who you let on your page.

Muezzin
12-15-2010, 06:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SeekerofJannah
Though, if you're not there to socilize, but for other reasons, than inshAllah it shouldn't have a bad effect on you.
People can use a social network as long as they don't use it to socialise?

SafaAuditore
12-15-2010, 08:58 PM
^ lolll i think she means what i was talking about - for like school groups/clubs or something XD that's socializing but for normal reasons XD

Sawdah
12-16-2010, 03:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
People can use a social network as long as they don't use it to socialise?
Sorry akhee, my sentence didn't seem to make sense to me either now that I've read it... Let me rephrase that, inshaAllah.
format_quote Originally Posted by Gothique
^ lolll i think she means what i was talking about - for like school groups/clubs or something XD that's socializing but for normal reasons XD
I've just read your previous post sister Gothique and yeah, that's pretty much what I was trying to say.^^; What I meant was that many people who use Facebook can forget who they have as friends so they post stuff that isn't right for some to see (ex. posing pics of yourself). Using Facebook like that would spoil your deen because you'd be giving permision to non mahrams to look into your album. Also, like you've mentioned in your previous post, talking to non mahrams would also spoil your deen.

Now to rephrase my sentence, what I meant to say in my previous post was:

Don't use Facebook to socialize with every person you possibly can and don't do things that would spoil your deen (ex. sharing stuff you shouldn't be sharing and non-mahram chit-chats). Keep your modesty and remember that all your Facebook friends can see what you do. Most importantly, keep in mind that Allah swt is all aware of what you do.

I hope this clarifies things, inshaAllah.

:w:

Endymion
12-16-2010, 07:15 AM
I think the Deeyn is something to do with my heart.No outer force can make it or spoil it.They can just make it more strong or more weak.Facebook is a social network where you befriend with new people or spend time with people you already know.Now its up to you who to befriend,what group/page to join.No one can force you to befriend with someone you dont like or join a group you dont agree with.

Same is with life.Same is with cyber world :)

itsjustme
12-16-2010, 07:34 AM
Things that bother you outside, or things that bother you inside, you choose what and when.

purple
12-16-2010, 09:21 AM

I like how people seem to think they have the authority to generalise all Muslims on Face book. I have FB account and the only interaction I have with non mehram is on Islamicboard!
You either use or you don’t. Just keep your judgement to yourself, you have no rights to look down upon me or anyone else who uses FB. I will continue to use it to keep in touch with family and for work.
I also notice the same people that have a problem with FB because of interaction with non meharm seem to do a lot of chit chat with the opposite sex on islamicboard.

Hamza Asadullah
12-19-2010, 12:50 AM
Facebook have proven themselves to be the enemies of Islam on two occassions. On one occassion when they refused to ban the group who wanted to draw cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) and the second time when they refuse to ban the group who wanted to burn the Qur'an.

Therefore all Muslims should abandon Facebook firstly for being the enemies of Islam which they have proven on both occassions and secondly because it is a complete waste of time. Can one imagine how much time one wastes on it and if you were to spend that precious time in worship then how much more beneficial would that be. On top of that it is a place of evil and free mixing no matter how much restrictions one has put on ones profile.

Knowing all of this LEAVE Facebook and do not look back. You can keep in touch with friends in other ways or through MSN messenger or E mail but there is no justification for staying on a site run by the enemies of Islam.

And Allah knows best in all matters

Beardo
12-19-2010, 12:53 AM
I use facebook quite often. I've met friends from elementary. I was also introduced to a local youth group via facebook too... And Alhamdulillah, one of the best things that's ever happened to me!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!