PDA

View Full Version : Nick Clegg's Lib Dems 'under scrutiny' after TV debate



Supreme
04-16-2010, 09:54 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politi...10/8625850.stm

Nick Clegg's apparent strong showing in the first prime ministerial TV debate will force the Lib Dems' policies under the microscope, his rivals have said.

PM Gordon Brown and Tory leader David Cameron said Mr Clegg had done well, as polls suggested a Lib Dem boost.

But Mr Brown said viewers would judge on "substance", while Tory frontbencher Michael Gove warned "eccentric" Lib Dem policies would now be scrutinised.

Mr Clegg said he welcomed the focus and that there was "a long way to go".

Insisting his feet were "firmly on the ground", he told reporters: "Some people are getting a bit hyped-up about this."

Shadow children's secretary Mr Gove was among a number of big-hitters, including Conservative Ann Widdecombe and Labour's Douglas Alexander, to warn the Lib Dem leader he faces intense scrutiny ahead of the 6 May election.
Well, I personally thought Clegg was the best, fpllowed closely by Brown, he seemed like he knew what he was talking about. Cameron just sounded like the weasley private schoolboy he is.
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
What Is Truth?
04-16-2010, 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by Supreme
Well, I personally thought Clegg was the best, fpllowed closely by Brown, he seemed like he knew what he was talking about. Cameron just sounded like the weasley private schoolboy he is.
I have to agree that Cameron really didn't look so great in this one - not that I'm going to vote for any of them of course.
Reply

tango92
04-17-2010, 12:21 AM
im firing all cylinders lib dem now! cameron has a serious hidden agenda you can sense it. but i fear the lib dems dont really have the experince to form a solid government
Reply

Supreme
04-17-2010, 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by tango92
im firing all cylinders lib dem now! cameron has a serious hidden agenda you can sense it. but i fear the lib dems dont really have the experince to form a solid government
It's obvious the next government won't be Lib Dem. But every election, if they get more votes, there is more chance of them coming into government in the election after. Plus, the more seats they have, the more they can influence laws in Parliament.
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
tango92
04-17-2010, 05:23 AM
^theres a good chance of lib dems coming into power as a coalition with another party this yr
Reply

glo
04-17-2010, 06:07 AM
I cannot vote in general elections, because I am not a British citizen.

I did a questionnaire yesterday, which screened my views on specific political questions and I came out quite strongly Lib Dem.

As far as the party leader go, I rate Brown as the most honest and open of them. Cameron and Clegg are a bit smarmy for my liking ... (not that you should vote based on the bloke you like best, as opposed to which policies you agree with most)
Reply

Supreme
04-17-2010, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by glo
I cannot vote in general elections, because I am not a British citizen.

I did a questionnaire yesterday, which screened my views on specific political questions and I came out quite strongly Lib Dem.

As far as the party leader go, I rate Brown as the most honest and open of them. Cameron and Clegg are a bit smarmy for my liking ... (not that you should vote based on the bloke you like best, as opposed to which policies you agree with most)
Indeed- I admire Brown for his expertise regarding the economy. I really do think with a different prime minister in power during the recession, it couls have tonnes worse. He is very good with economics.
Reply

Supreme
04-17-2010, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by tango92
^theres a good chance of lib dems coming into power as a coalition with another party this yr
Yep, although I'd rather a fully Lib Dem government than a coalition one. Labour and the Lib Dems need to do everything they can to prevent the Tories getting in.
Reply

Cabdullahi
04-17-2010, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by glo
I cannot vote in general elections, because I am not a British citizen.

I did a questionnaire yesterday, which screened my views on specific political questions and I came out quite strongly Lib Dem.

As far as the party leader go, I rate Brown as the most honest and open of them. Cameron and Clegg are a bit smarmy for my liking ... (not that you should vote based on the bloke you like best, as opposed to which policies you agree with most)
what?!?! so you're an immigrant just like me :)

i wont be voting because of two things the first being that Allah alone gives sustenance and secondly i fear being let down because the advertised product that looks so good and robust will never be there...its advertised to us under false pretences
Reply

glo
04-17-2010, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by Abdullahii
what?!?! so you're an immigrant just like me :)
I am indeed! :D
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!