/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Prayer before mealtimes

glo
04-16-2010, 10:21 PM
My husband and I were talking about saying Grace before our meals.
It's not something we have done until now, but we are thinking that we should.

Can somebody tell me what the prayer is Muslims speak before their meals?

Thank you.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
marwen
04-16-2010, 11:38 PM
Before eating, muslims say : Bismillah : In the Name of Allah. This keeps the shaytan away from us and from our meal while we eat. For muslims saying Bismillah is recommanded before starting anything, for it brings Allah's blessing (baraka) in what we do.

Sawdah
04-17-2010, 12:38 AM
It is obligitory for a Muslim to say 'Bismillah' (in the name of Allah) before eating.

It was narrated from Umm Kalthoom from ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When any one of you eats, let him mention the name of Allaah. If he forgets to mention the name of Allaah at the beginning, then let him say ‘Bismillaahi awwalahu wa aakhirahu (In the name of Allaah at the beginning and at the end).’”

(Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 1858; Abu Dawood, 3767; Ibn Maajah, 3264. Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Sunan Abi Dawood, 3202).
You can also say more by making a supplication before eating such as:

Allhuma baa rik lanaa feemaa razaqtanaa wa qinaa azaaba al-naar

Translation: O Allah! Bless us on everything You give us, and avoid us from Hellfire. And with the name of Allah. [Source: Ibnu Sunni]

link

or,

‘Whomever Allaah feeds, should say:
(i)
‘O Allaah, bless it for us and feed us better than it.’

…and whomever Allaah gives milk to drink, should say:
(ii)
‘O Allaah, bless it for us and give us more of it.’
</B>
link

islamirama
04-17-2010, 02:07 AM
Before eating

Allhuma baa rik lanaa feemaa razaqtanaa wa qinaa azaaba al-naar

Translation:
O Allah! Bless us on everything You give us, and avoid us from Hellfire. And with the name of Allah. [Source: Ibnu Sunni]

After eating

Alhamdulillahillazee at 'amanaa wa saqaanaa wa kafaa naa wa awaa naa

Translation:
All Praises be to Allah, who provides us food, drink, satisfaction and protection

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
glo
04-17-2010, 06:26 AM
Thank you, all. That is interesting.

Is there no specific prayer, which expresses gratitude for the food provided?

islamirama
04-18-2010, 03:37 AM
Specifically speaking, i guess you could say the dua (supplication) related after eating...
All Praises be to Allah, who provides us food, drink, satisfaction and protection
As far as I know, there's no dua i have come across related to food alone. But you can also say your own in your own words to thank Allah but i think these duas are better as you are not limiting it to just one thing.

‘Whomever Allaah feeds, should say:
(i) ‘O Allaah, bless it for us and feed us better than it.’

…and whomever Allaah gives milk to drink, should say:

(ii) ‘O Allaah, bless it for us and give us more of it.’

Insaanah
04-18-2010, 10:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Is there no specific prayer, which expresses gratitude for the food provided?
The one after eating, as shown in the post above yours. Before eating, we say "in the name of Allah", and we ask Him to bless the food for us.

After having eaten, we thank Him for having eaten of it and praise Him.

Translations of some of the supplications that can be said after eating:

All praise is for Allah who fed me this and provided it for me without any might nor power from myself.

All praise is for Allah who fed us, gave us water to drink, and made us from amongst the Muslims.

Allah be praised with an abundant, beautiful, blessed praise, a never-ending praise, a praise we will never bid farewell to and an indispensable praise, He is our Lord.

Peace.

glo
04-18-2010, 05:58 PM
Thank you for your replies. :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!