/* */

PDA

View Full Version : UK Covered in Ashes and Smoke?

Beardo
04-18-2010, 12:11 AM
:sl:

I know there's been a massive volcanic eruption or something in the UK causing tens of thousands of flight delays etc. This is pretty serious stuff. How're you all in the UK and that area?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Supreme
04-18-2010, 12:25 AM
I'm personally not affected, although I do know some people that are having to drive now instead of fly. My prayers are with them.

Beardo
04-18-2010, 12:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
I'm personally not affected, although I do know some people that are having to drive now instead of fly. My prayers are with them.
Can you see the clouds of smoke etc?

Isn't it unhealthy..?

glo
04-18-2010, 01:19 AM
The volcanic eruption was in Iceland, Rashad - although the volcanic ash is affecting flights in the UK and many parts of northern Europe.
It is not necessarily visible, but apparently it affects the engines of airplanes. That's why all flights across the affected areas are on hold.

There were some health warning today, and people with breathing conditions were advised to stay indoors if they noticed a haze in the air or a sulfurous smell of 'rotten eggs'.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Misz_Muslimah
04-18-2010, 09:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
:sl: Can you see the clouds of smoke etc?

Isn't it unhealthy..?
:wa:
No, I cant see any clouds of smoke..to me, there's no difference whether the volcano erupted or not :hmm:

sunnyhayat
04-18-2010, 09:46 AM
Is it Allah's curse on western world for treating all muslims bad?

Alpha Dude
04-18-2010, 12:34 PM
Icelandic eruptions can potentially last upto weeks, months or even years, especially if this current one sets of the nearby Katla volcano.

ardianto
04-18-2010, 12:56 PM
I am sorry, but I must give a warning. Those ashes will fall down to the ground, maybe to the land areas or maybe to the sea.

In 1982, mount Galunggung that located around 70 from Bandung city was erupted and showering ashes to atmosphere. Few weeks later those ashes fell on Bandung around 7:30 a.m. Bandung city became dark for few hours, darker than a night without moon.

Supreme
04-18-2010, 01:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
Can you see the clouds of smoke etc?

Isn't it unhealthy..?
It's at too high an altitude to be unhealthy... and even though you cannot see the ash cloud, there is a layer of dust from the cloud on most cars in my neighbourhood.

Güven
04-18-2010, 01:49 PM
It's not only the UK who is affected by the ash.

I saw the dust cloud too, yesterday here in the Netherlands.

format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
Icelandic eruptions can potentially last upto weeks, months or even years, especially if this current one sets of the nearby Katla volcano.
If that one erupts, then we are pretty much done for. Not only will there be an huge amount of ash but also widespread floods since it is located under vast icecaps. :skeleton:

glo
04-18-2010, 02:25 PM
It is actually quite amazing to look at the blue sky without any signs of planes or their vapour trails.
It's quiet too. Must be lovely for those who live near airports and normally have planes flying overhead all the time ...

Cabdullahi
04-18-2010, 02:30 PM
no ashes where i live Alhamdulilah

Afifa
04-18-2010, 02:59 PM
Can't see any dust clouds where i am but it has been smelling a bit outside +o(

Its a nightmare for people stuck abroad...Some one in my family were supposed to be back on saturday but now they'v been told they wont get a flight till thursday!

Beardo
04-18-2010, 03:06 PM
Well, it's better the longer the planes don't fly. The smoke etc will cause thrust to the plane and could crash the engine. *tries to act smart after reading a CNN article on the matter*

Danah
04-18-2010, 03:28 PM
May Allah help everyone there suffering from the smoke.

Supreme
04-18-2010, 03:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
It is actually quite amazing to look at the blue sky without any signs of planes or their vapour trails.
It's quiet too. Must be lovely for those who live near airports and normally have planes flying overhead all the time ...
It is odd how we've had consistently clear blue skies ever since the volanic ash cloud hovered over the country.

noorseeker
04-18-2010, 06:31 PM
This is the power of Allah swt, when things like this happens it humbles you, we are at the mercy of Allah swt.

aadil77
04-18-2010, 06:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sunnyhayat
Is it Allah's curse on western world for treating all muslims bad?
I doubt it akhi, how is flight delays gonna get justice from these criminals?

Their main punishment will be in the afterlife - in hell

tango92
04-18-2010, 08:18 PM
tbh i dont know what the problem is apart from a few lazy holiday makers get to chill out a few more days in the tropics

Rabi'ya
04-18-2010, 08:22 PM
considering we cant see or smell the ash/smoke its amazing how we all buy into it so quickly. Does anyone know of anyone in Iceland where the volcano supposedly erupted? not saying that its not true but just how quick people are to believe. wouldnt be hard for authorities to concoct something of a major scale. maybe they wanted the airs clear for something else.(lol just my conspiracy theory)

anyway, no dust or smoke visable here and certainly no strange smells. well other than normal pollution.

aadil77
04-18-2010, 08:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~SilverOrchid~
considering we cant see or smell the ash/smoke its amazing how we all buy into it so quickly. Does anyone know of anyone in Iceland where the volcano supposedly erupted? not saying that its not true but just how quick people are to believe. wouldnt be hard for authorities to concoct something of a major scale. maybe they wanted the airs clear for something else.(lol just my conspiracy theory)

anyway, no dust or smoke visable here and certainly no strange smells. well other than normal pollution.
lol I guess you've not seen it on the news, most of the ash is at high atitudes where it can affect planes

heres a vid

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8624806.stm

Güven
04-18-2010, 09:08 PM
Eyjafjallajökull

How in the world do you pronounce that!? :D

ardianto
04-19-2010, 02:28 AM
A numbers of Indonesian who want to back are still waiting in European airports.

They complain "We must sleep in airport. Yes, there are many hotels and restaurants here, but this is Europe, man, Europe !, everything is expensive !".

glo
04-19-2010, 07:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~SilverOrchid~
I doubt it.

This little security exercise is costing the aviation industry a fortune! And they are up in arms about it.
Given that the rich companies usually call the shots, and that a lot of money is made by passenger flights, and that potentially lots of jobs are at stake I very much doubt that this is some government scam.
I mean, why would they?
What's in it for them?
Risk the future of the aviation industry in a time of recession?? (So far volcanologists seem unsure as to how long the volcano could be active)

Life_Is_Short
04-19-2010, 02:08 PM
Heatherows been closed for the first time.

My friends stay in Saudi Arabia has been extended. They went for Umra and were supposed to be back by the end of this week. They will now get to spend a few more days in Madina.

They must be very happy. :hmm:

GuCcI
04-19-2010, 03:51 PM
silver lining for some ^ :p

Asiyah3
04-19-2010, 04:10 PM
I don't live in the UK, but lately the sky has been very beautiful masha'llah. I usually tend to watch the sky, Yesterday the red sunset sky was so gorgeous.
At a local level, some effects on the weather may occur. Red sunsets across most of northern Europe are likely.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_er...llaj%C3%B6kull

Asiyah3
04-19-2010, 04:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
Eyjafjallajökull

How in the world do you pronounce that!? :D
We had to make a Powerpoint presentation about volcanic eruptions. Me and my friends were just wondering the same toda :D. I guess we'll be saying "the recent eruption that happened in Iceland" ^_^.

Vito
04-19-2010, 08:33 PM
I work at an airport that does European flights only and I'm probably not going to be bringing any money home this week :X I can't complain though. I feel bad for all those people who are stranded or directly affected by the volcano itself.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!