/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Spying 101 - Hack A Webcam

islamirama
04-19-2010, 09:15 PM
Spying 101 - Hack A Webcam

See FOX News clip below

The video mentions having a password on to protect your cam. Even better is to unplug it when not using and if possible, buy one of those cams with a lid to close the lens.

Like this one...

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/7686/webcam2.jpg

For an example, Go to Google and type: inurl:/view/index.shtml

It will give you access to 143,000 AXIS IP video surveillance cameras

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ğħαrєєвαħ
04-19-2010, 09:40 PM
SubhaaanAllah whats this world coming to.....
People seriously need to mind their own business and get a life, since they already have one i guess they could try use it and not WASTE it!

Vito
04-19-2010, 09:56 PM
What you just saw isn't "hacking" or "exploiting". These cameras are more advanced than a regular computer webcam and as I've said in the other thread a few months ago, it isn't something that most regular users should worry about. A lot of these cameras are set up so they can be managed from a remote location.

Believe it or not, that google 'trick' has been around for years. Not sure why they just now started talking about it.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
04-19-2010, 10:08 PM
But he still showed us web cams and stuff....Besides he also told us how we should protect them passwords for people who do own them

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Vito
04-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Yea but its like what I mentioned. Those cameras are set up to be accessed from a remote location. Most people who buy a webcam for their computer don't go and buy the IP camera with panning / zooming capabilities, among other things. If someone buys one of these without knowing anything about them, they shouldn't of bought it. The setup for some of these cameras is similar to a router or access point. If you just simply connect it without doing anything else, you're pretty much inviting people to watch you ;D

**Here is a sample of what some of them look like: http://www.dlink.com/products/category/?cid=37

islamirama
04-19-2010, 11:08 PM
You be foolish to think no one can access your local home webcam. Police can do it, FBI, CIA can do it an anyone else who has the know how can do it. They have given examples of this even in movies, Transformers being one of them.

here's something else to reflect upon.

School accused of off-campus Webcam spying

Vito
04-20-2010, 12:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
You be foolish to think no one can access your local home webcam. Police can do it, FBI, CIA can do it an anyone else who has the know how can do it. They have given examples of this even in movies, Transformers being one of them.

here's something else to reflect upon.

School accused of off-campus Webcam spying
That link was posted in the other thread as well. The issue here isn't about "hacking" but rather privacy issues. What they did was wrong but it has nothing to do with security. These were school issued laptops and they could of easily set it up so they have access to it anytime they want.

I don't know if I would use the word foolish in the same post where you're trying to use examples from the movie transformers to justify what you believe. I don't mean to sound harsh but I'm just being straight forward.

islamirama
04-20-2010, 12:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by -Kai-
I don't know if I would use the word foolish in the same post where you're trying to use examples from the movie transformers to justify what you believe. I don't mean to sound harsh but I'm just being straight forward.
The issue here is indeed privacy whether done by hacking or any other means. you may see it foolish to refer to a movie about something but technologies they use in movies only show what is available out there at times but normally people don't have access to it. I'm not sure what you aim is at denying the possibility of someone easily hacking to a person's webcam but whether you believe it or not the the technology does exist and so do people who are using it. Look up webcam vulnerabilities in google and you will find that many software can hacked into to get to a webcam to spy on you.

marwen
04-20-2010, 12:53 AM
I think what -kai- is saying is true. In order to your wcam to be accessed from the web, you need to be streaming this wcam. I mean there must be a streaming server running on your machine, with a specific port (8081 for example) wich takes the stream captured from the webcam and publish it on that address ( <your ip address>:<stream port>). So a user on a distant machine can type your adress and access to your webCam stream, and the only thing that can protect you in that case is to use a password. BUT, if you're not using a streaming server (you're not enabling the internet streming function), your webcam will not be accessible from outside in any way, or at least let's say : it will be very difficult to access to your webcam ( you'll need a real hacker)

islamirama
04-20-2010, 12:59 AM
You are under the assumption that someone has to be streaming in order for you to access their webcam. Although that is true like those video cams you can find on google, it is however not limited to that only. So long as you have an internet connection than anyone with enough know how can launch any applications on your pc remotely. Even if you have your pc off, the webcam is still powered in and internect connection still exists so they can still turn the webcam on and stream it on their screen while you are unaware of it.

Vito
04-20-2010, 01:11 AM
The issue here is indeed privacy whether done by hacking or any other means. you may see it foolish to refer to a movie about something but technologies they use in movies only show what is available out there at times but normally people don't have access to it. I'm not sure what you aim is at denying the possibility of someone easily hacking to a person's webcam but whether you believe it or not the the technology does exist and so do people who are using it. Look up webcam vulnerabilities in google and you will find that many software can hacked into to get to a webcam to spy on you.
I'm not claiming to know everything but I know enough to where I don't need to depend on search engines or use movie references to back up what I say.

And let me clear something up, I never said it couldn't happen. My posts were simply referring to what you originally posted because what you see in the video is not exactly what you consider a "consumer" webcam. Those have way more features and its not as simple as "plug and play" unless of course you're looking for trouble.

Unheard of technology really has nothing to do with this. All you need is a computer and access to the internet and of course people who are vulnerable but, even the lightest of security measures can defend you from a lot of this stuff. I'm speaking based on facts, not what I believe or don't believe.

marwen
04-20-2010, 01:17 AM
... than anyone with enough know how can launch any applications on your pc remotely.
Yes, that's possible.

Even if you have your pc off, the webcam is still powered in and internect connection still exists so they can still turn the webcam on and stream it on their screen while you are unaware of it.
I don't think it's possible if the computer is off. You know the cam is only accessible trough your PC :
[distantPC<=>distModem]<===========>[yourModem<=>yourPC<=>yourCam],
without a Pc the webcam is not usable (needs driver and memory to store the capture. and that's existing in the PC). Besides, the webcam has no adress to be accessed from internet, it's only the PC adress.

Vito
04-20-2010, 01:21 AM
You are under the assumption that someone has to be streaming in order for you to access their webcam. Although that is true like those video cams you can find on google, it is however not limited to that only. So long as you have an internet connection than anyone with enough know how can launch any applications on your pc remotely. Even if you have your pc off, the webcam is still powered in and internect connection still exists so they can still turn the webcam on and stream it on their screen while you are unaware of it.
Which movie did you get this from?

islamirama
04-20-2010, 01:46 AM
So long as you have net connection and your webcam has power, anything is possible. I'll leave it at that, so take as much/less precaution as you deem necessary and enjoy the video cams listed on on google :D

Vito
04-20-2010, 01:58 AM

Yes I think its best we just leave it at that then. Anyways, you have a good night and a better tomorrow. I'm off to bed.

GuCcI
04-20-2010, 03:27 AM
whaaat, this is scary - what if you have a built in webcam???

islamirama
04-20-2010, 05:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by GuCcI
whaaat, this is scary - what if you have a built in webcam???
My monitor has a built in cam, i have piece of paper form sticky notepads to cover it :D

Dagless
04-20-2010, 01:55 PM
Everyone has the ability to monitor their own network traffic. If the police were using some built in backdoor it would have been spotted by someone.

you may see it foolish to refer to a movie about something but technologies they use in movies only show what is available out there at times but normally people don't have access to it.
Or its just pure garbage to make things sound cool?

So long as you have an internet connection than anyone with enough know how can launch any applications on your pc remotely.
If people are remotely launching apps on your pc then your webcam probably isn't your biggest concern.

Overall its a good idea to keep your cam covered but that's only because so many people are already exploited from downloading infected apps, going to infected sites etc.

Asiyah3
04-20-2010, 03:39 PM
I wouldn't worry about this, why would someone hack my Webcam out of the other milliard webcams?

GuCcI
04-20-2010, 03:44 PM
My monitor has a built in cam, i have piece of paper form sticky notepads to cover it :D
i have a small laptop and webcam is on that top part.. i dont wanna cover it with something, that'll make it look ugly <_<

islamirama
04-20-2010, 04:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by GuCcI
i have a small laptop and webcam is on that top part.. i dont wanna cover it with something, that'll make it look ugly <_<
Well if your concerns of not making your laptop look "ugly" greater than your privacy than that's your call.

format_quote Originally Posted by _muslim_
I wouldn't worry about this, why would someone hack my Webcam out of the other milliard webcams?
Does someone need a reason?

New powers for police to hack your PC

Dagless
04-20-2010, 04:38 PM
"Remote searching can be achieved by sending an email containing a virus to a suspect's computer which then transmits information about email contents and web-browsing habits to a distant surveillance team."
Come on, seriously, if you're opening email attachments from people you don't know then its not just the police who'll be monitoring you. The other option in that article is a physical device, so they would have to actually break into your home, and if they're doing that then they can just plant a few bugs.

islamirama
04-20-2010, 04:46 PM
Bro, i just put the information out there to make others aware. Everyone here can make their own conclusions and assessments and believe what they want. If they are concerned than they can take steps to better protect themselves and it they don't care and don't believe any of this than live a care free life.

Dagless
04-20-2010, 04:49 PM
Bro, i just put the information out there to make others aware. Everyone here can make their own conclusions and assessments and believe what they want. If they are concerned than they can take steps to better protect themselves and it they don't care and don't believe any of this than live a care free life.
Its called scaremongering.

Vito
04-20-2010, 05:05 PM
The only thing that article proves is that people don't use common sense. If you're getting viruses and key loggers on your computer, then in my opinion, you deserve whats coming your way. Kids were doing these things since.. forever. And for the people using passwords on their network similar to "12345" and "password", don't be surprised if you get some unwanted guests.

I like that you are a cautious person but instead of searching for articles about stuff like this, its just better to educate yourself on how to protect yourself from these things.

islamirama
04-20-2010, 05:09 PM
As stated in the news clip of the original post
You have a webcam connected to the web and might wana ask if the whole world can log on to protect it?

The answer is YES, if you are not protected.

And we wouldn't be doing this story with proof if every camera was protected.

Net work engineer shows us how using google someone can access supposedly private internet webcams.

Ex: a guy using camera to spy on neighbor in japan, he doesn't know somone can take control of his camerea and look at his bedroom. (see news video to see the software used to do this)

If you set up a password than no one can see it. That goes for little webcams too.
A little more than scaremongering? maybe the ignorant just want to ignore it and prefer others too.

Dagless
04-20-2010, 05:28 PM
As stated in the news clip of the original post

A little more than scaremongering? maybe the ignorant just want to ignore it and prefer others too.
I think brother kai and marwen answered this. It is only for ip camera's, not for people who have webcams in their laptops - if you disagree please tell up how to set a password on our laptop webcams...

edit: of course you can install software to stream your webcam but you'd have had to manually install this software. There are also trojans which stream webcams but you can't set a password on those :p

islamirama
04-20-2010, 05:53 PM
Kai and marwen are stating based on what they know. As noted in the news clip, they didn't mention webcams with ip's but rather said your home webcams. If you leave your pc on all day, like most of us, than potentials exist for anyone with know-how to get in your pc and stream your webcam.

GuCcI
04-20-2010, 06:18 PM
Well if your concerns of not making your laptop look "ugly" greater than your privacy than that's your call.
But wouldnt I know if it was on or not, because when it's on there's a light flash to show its on.

Vito
04-20-2010, 06:21 PM
Kai and marwen are stating based on what they know. As noted in the news clip, they didn't mention webcams with ip's but rather said your home webcams. If you leave your pc on all day, like most of us, than potentials exist for anyone with know-how to get in your pc and stream your webcam.
0:07 "security cameras you can view online"
0:25 "internet cameras"
0:34 "webcam hooked to the net"
1:17 "internet cameras"
2:00 "security cameras"
2:22 "allowing the camera to netcast"
2:30 "cameras hooked to the internet"

Like we've already said, these cameras you see in the video are not the typical webcam you use for msn, skype, or whatever else it is people do. Yes, you can set your regular camera up to stream online but that doesn't just magically happen by itself. Someone has to set it up. There are ways to allow yourself to do that if you choose to. You can't use a search engine to find just anyone's webcam though. It doesn't work like that. People who set up their cameras to do such things without taking precautions shouldn't be surprised one bit if other people can view their cameras. I don't know how many more times I have to say it :heated:

Asiyah3
04-20-2010, 07:30 PM
Does someone need a reason?
No, but there's 6,815,900,000 people in the World hence the chances are pretty slight. What bothers me more is advertisements of body scanners which can be loaded to mobiles :raging:

Vito
04-20-2010, 09:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by _muslim_
No, but there's 6,815,900,000 people in the World hence the chances are pretty slight. What bothers me more is advertisements of body scanners which can be loaded to mobiles :raging:
Well, you have to think about it this way. An attacker doesn't have to directly interact with you in order for them to do something wrong. A couple examples would be that someone might have a virus that they put in a file and they just simply use a program to send out mass emails to everyone in hopes that people will actually download it. Or even if you're just browsing the net and you come up on a site with viruses, that could be enough to do damage. People can also scan a range ip addresses for open ports and depending on the result, that could allow them to do all kinds of things. Firewalls, anti-virus protection, and common sense are very good prevention tools! I don't think I can stress that enough.

Don't worry about government agencies trying to look at you through your webcam either.. If they wanted to spy on you, they would probably be outside your house with surveillance equipment and your phones tapped as well.

islamirama
04-20-2010, 10:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by -Kai-
Firewalls, anti-virus protection, and common sense are very good prevention tools! I don't think I can stress that enough.
And there are plenty of really good ones out there for free. just check out www.download.com

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!