/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Cars may one day mimic fish to avoid collisions

islamirama
04-22-2010, 01:05 AM
Cars may one day mimic fish to avoid collisions

10-2-09

TOKYO (AFP) - – Engineers in Japan say they are a step closer to developing technology they hope will cut the risk of car crashes -- by mimicking the behaviour of fish.

The experts at Nissan Motor have been studying fish and the way they are able to swim in schools and avoid colliding with each other.

The result is a robot that can travel in a group of up to seven, avoiding bumps by sharing information with its peers.

The firm hopes to use the technology in its vehicles in future.

The three-wheeled robot uses a laser range finder, which measures the distance to an obstacle, and radio communications to recreate the behaviour of fish, which can change direction and travel side by side without colliding.

Last year Nissan unveiled a similar robot inspired by the bumblebee, which is also highly adept at avoiding collisions but travels solo.

"We, in a motorised world, have a lot to learn from the behaviour of a school of fish in terms of each fish's degree of freedom and safety," said Toshiyuki Andou, the principal engineer in the project.

By sharing information, the group can travel safely, changing its shape as needed, Andou said.

Nissan will demonstrate the technology at the CEATEC electronics trade fair in Japan next week.

http://www.physorg.com/news173594394.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Abdul-Raouf
04-22-2010, 06:28 AM
Those Robos are looking like Ninja Soldiers.... Very cute design...:)

aadil77
04-22-2010, 08:13 AM
these guys are geniuses

Eric H
04-22-2010, 08:43 AM
Greetings and peace be with you islamirama;

In theory that sounds wonderful, and it would be cool to have such a Ninja car, but human greed comes into the equation. If there are a hundred car manufacturers in the world, are they all going to develop their own systems, which will not be compatible with each other.

Or are they all going to agree to pay a royalty to one company, and use just one system, i can imagine such a system could generate billions of dollars.

In the spirit of searching for a just solution

Eric

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
04-22-2010, 10:29 AM
Wonder why they chose to mimic fish and not horses? A herd of running horse can make change in direction without colliding into each other and the ultimate result is we all would eventually go back to riding horses and I would be able to sell more horses.

Vito
04-22-2010, 12:59 PM
Why can't people just learn to drive instead?

Missinglinks
04-22-2010, 03:42 PM
bismillah alhamdolillah

funny!!! actually I have never seen a fish crash on something... animals on land yes, but fish??/ maybe it's due to the water? has someone a movie/clip of a fish crashing/bumping?
I've once bumped my head on the floor of the swimming pool, really hurts! since then I swim with eyes open no matter what.

and
they really imitate much!
I hope they won't imitate the fish smell.. bah!

جوري
04-22-2010, 03:52 PM
I'll wait until the cars evolve on their own volition and develop such instincts, the same way they self-assembled in the first place.. no reason to give credit to the Japanese and call them brilliant!

:w:

Woodrow
04-22-2010, 04:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Missinglinks
bismillah alhamdolillah

funny!!! actually I have never seen a fish crash on something... animals on land yes, but fish??/ maybe it's due to the water? has someone a movie/clip of a fish crashing/bumping?
I've once bumped my head on the floor of the swimming pool, really hurts! since then I swim with eyes open no matter what.

and
they really imitate much!
I hope they won't imitate the fish smell.. bah!
A number of years ago I read about speculation that because of the electrical conductivity of water that in a school of fish when several begin moving in the same direction there is sufficient electrical activity to cause the same muscular responses in all nearby fish, resulting in almost instant identical movement.

Here is a nice video:

Dagless
05-11-2010, 03:47 AM
It would be slightly disconcerting if your car suddenly turns left onto the hard shoulder because some guy in the fast lane swerved to miss something. Maybe this would be good when the driving system has changed so that things are fully automated at speed, otherwise people might be having a heart attack every 30 seconds when their car swerves because of someone else.

Beardo
05-11-2010, 04:07 AM
The insurance companies won't let this happen.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-11-2010, 08:59 AM
Weird..........but kooool

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!