/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is There a Muslim/Muslimah Out There Who Feels As I Do?

Muslimah410
04-22-2010, 07:46 PM
As-Salaamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh. I’m a 21-year-old convert to Islam living in the United States. I began to feel Taqwa in a different way and became interested in Islam when I was fifteen, after I’d had a near-death experience. I’d learned of Islam through independent study, and did not personally know any Muslims. My faith has always seemed to have a spiritual rather than a social basis.
Over the past three or four years, however, I’ve been trying to observe Muslims online in order to get a realistic sense of the Ummah (I also briefly tried attending a masjid in my area, then decided that a better spiritual decision for me would be to practice Islam at home). What I’ve seen has caused me to feel deeply disillusioned, and like I’d rather strive to submit to Allah (SWT) completely alone and withdraw from all people except for my closest (non-Muslim) family members than to become involved with a group of people calling themselves “Muslims” like those I’ve encountered. My hope for becoming a part of a Muslim community has been smashed due to my experience of Muslims my age—they are irreverent and disobedient toward the Injunctions contained in the Qur’an, rebellious and averse to following the Sunnah, and oppressive toward those who show Iman and commitment to Islam rather than popular culture, liberalism or other political constructions/solidarities, or generally their desires. They have seemed to me to be no different from non-Muslims on any level other than an extremely superficial and provisional one, to be honest. I have not wanted to let go of my hope for the Ummah—losing hope for it has been so painful--but I feel that I have been losing hope.
I guess I’ve been wondering if there’s someone else out there who feels as I do. I feel there’s something wrong when all you’re trying to do is to be a true Muslim and follow and cherish the Qur’an and Sunnah and other “Muslims,” because of your commitment, feel like oppressors and enemies to you. It seems almost as though many “Muslims” in college or young adulthood identify Islam as a backward cultural phenomenon having more to do with their parents and families than with Allah (SWT), something that they just want to rebel against and break free of, and view someone who’s “chosen Islam for themselves” (in a manner of speaking), who doesn’t see Islam as a culture and takes it very seriously, as some kind of a threat to their sovereignty and freedom to pursue their desires regardless of the consequences. Personally, I feel that not only is oppression coming from non-Muslims, but from “Muslims” as well (and in some cases seemingly more severe oppression). Sometimes I feel no hope at all for humanity.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
CosmicPathos
04-23-2010, 02:46 AM
Assalam Aaikum,

Welcome to Islam.

Know that friends of Allah (awliya of Allah) are few and far between on the face of this earth. We have to strive hard to find them and share our life with them so that we may learn something from them and get closer to Allah. Do not be disillusioned by what you see the Muslim youngsters doing. Maybe they did not have the correct guidance or maybe their hearts are sealed, wallahu Aalam, our job is to yearn for the best.

Many a times, I've felt like how you feel as well. Read my thread "some unanswered questions ..." and you will see what I mean. In the end I assume it boils down to our love for Allah and our strength of belief in Him. If we truly drown in our love for Him, these things which we see around us would become irrelevant and we would strive to please Him without focussing on the end result and that is when Taqwa is fully realized, inshAllah.

I hope I made sense.

Walaikum Assalam.

Donia
04-23-2010, 05:15 AM
Wa alaikum as-salaam wa rahmatullah sister,

Your feelings are familiar to me; I have felt that way before also. Try not to think negatively about others. I know it may be hard to see how some people act or the things they say, and then declare themselves Muslims but it is not for us to judge them (and I'm not saying that's what you're doing, I think you are making observations). Who knows what is going on in others lives or how they have been raised (like the brother said above). Allah guides whom he wills, and alhumdulillah that you have been brought to Islam and shown the truth.
There are pious brothers and sisters out there. Are there any classes offered at your local masjid? That could be a place to start.
I hope that helped some insha'Allah.

:sl: sis.

Grofica
04-23-2010, 09:10 AM
Muslimah410,

you will find many brothers and sisters in here who feel similar to how you feel, like the two before me don't be turned off by a few... I am a revert... also from the states (although im not there right now) and I understand how you feel. I have had the experience of being shunned just because i did not grow up Muslim i came of my own free will.

know that this is the will of the person you encounter and not the religion. Truthfully some of the best friends i have are from this forum. people i have never met are nice enough and caring enough that i feel comfortable and it's given me a chance to open up and share things from my life. with most of the people on here i have laughed and cried and been angry and been moved through the posts.

I actually searched quite a few Islamic forums before i found this one and i wouldnt trade this one for the world. I hope that you find this forum as benificial as i have.... Just know that by joining you have gained a HUGE number of life long friends...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muslimah410
04-23-2010, 10:35 AM
As-salaamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh. JazakAllah Khair for the responses. I feel they have been helpful.
Wa-alaikum assalaam.

happy
04-23-2010, 12:27 PM
Unfortunately it happens to alot of people and it happen to me.Once i was wearing hijab and this lady said to me "oh don't be bother cuz your still young" i was shock to hear this especially from muslim women.This world is full of trial and we should ignore these ignorant people who make the religion of Allah as something bad and at the end of the day our journey is toward Allah.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
04-23-2010, 12:34 PM
Aslaamu alaaykum sis..
I feel the way you do now sis...i feel lonely sometimes as not many people support you as in your own family, and friends...like dressing modestly seems very extreme for muslims and non muslims round here , as ive met many. Wearing the Hijaab properly is called extreme, like covering your hair totally. So yeah :)..
InshaAllaah i try not to care what they say and be patient and Ask Allaah to guide them indeed..living in a non muslim community often leads to such occurances..And May Allaah make it easy for all the brothers and sisters who have to deal with such consequences and situations..Ameen..
Hope i made sense and i helped a lil InshaAllaah :)
Wa alaaykum Salaam

AhmadibnNasroon
04-23-2010, 02:59 PM
Assalamu 3laykum,

My sister in Islam, may Allah bless you, for you go through what many of us go through. Feeling of loneliness, isolation, and worry. Allah hears your cry and remember, even if you are alone then that is fine because one of the best of creation was alone, and he was an entire ummah by himself. Allah says

120. Verily, Ibrâhim (Abraham) was an Ummah (a leader having all the good righteous qualities), or a nation, obedient to Allâh, Hanifa (i.e. to worship none but Allâh), and he was not one of those who were Al-Mushrikûn (polytheists, idolaters, disbelievers in the Oneness of Allâh, and those who joined partners with Allâh). Surah 16:120

So imagine being the ONLY one upon truth. Imagine knowing that everyone is upon misguidance but you. One can have mixed feelings about this but don't despair, for Allah says

7. So whosoever does good equal to the weight of an atom (or a small ant), shall see it. Surah 99:7

I remind you, me, and everyone else of the hadeeth related by Abi Hurrayrah from the saheeh of Imam Muslim where he, sallallaahu alayhi'wa'salam said,

“Islaam began as something strange and it will return to being strange as it began. So Toobaa is for the strangers.”

It is said that Toobaa means something good. Allaah mentions this word in Surat-ur-Ra’ad of His Final Revelation: “Those who believe and do righteous deeds, Toobaa is for them and a pleasant destination.” According to Ibn Katheer’s Tafseer (Abridged 1/281), Ibraaheem An-Nakha’ee (rahimahullaah), the great Taabi’ee, said it means “good is for them.” Qataadah said: “When a man says Toobaa for you it means you have attained something good. ‘Ikrimah and Mujaahid said that Toobaa means Paradise. And it is also said that Toobaa refers to a tree in Paradise which the Prophet, sallAllaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, spoke of when he said: “Verily, there is a tree in Paradise under the shadow of which a rider can travel for a hundred years without being able to cover (it’s distance) completely.” [Saheeh Muslim] This is what seems to be indicated in the above hadeeth, due to another hadeeth reported on the Prophet, in which he said: “Toobaa is a tree in Paradise. Its (shade’s) distance (in traveling) is one hundred years. And the garments of the inhabitants of Paradise will be extracted from its branches.” Imaam Al-Albaanee graded it hasan in his Silsilat-ul-Ahaadeeth As-Saheehah (no. 1985).

So don't be sad, down, and don't worry. Continue to traverse the path of Muhammad sallallaahu alayhi'wa'salam and be firm in it. Allah will make your way easy for you and reward you.

When you get a chance, read al hafidh ibn Rajab al Hanbali said about the strangers

http://www.kalamullah.com/Books/Strangers.pdf

Muslimah410
04-24-2010, 01:04 PM
JazakAllah Khair for the responses, brothers and sisters; I feel they have been very helpful.

Muslimah410
04-24-2010, 03:06 PM
JazakAllah Khair for this link.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!