/* */

PDA

View Full Version : how to teach someone with learning difficulties.

Ummu Sufyaan
04-23-2010, 09:04 AM
:sl:
i need some advise on how to go about teaching someone with a learning disability. she tends to have a lot of trouble understanding and grasping basic concepts. she may understand it, but can easily forget it. i dont think its a memory problem and her mum says she is just generally slow with learning, speaking, etc.

she only seems to know the letters of the alphabet (im teaching her arabic) if she goes over it in her head....sort of like how one would count on their fingers....so she cant recognize random letters if they were pointed out unless she "counts" them over in her mind.

i've tried various methods with her that i feel would work, such as drawing pictures, describing certain concepts in a "childish" way...but nothing seems to work.

any ideas?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
glo
04-23-2010, 10:51 AM
It depends very much on what level of learning disability and what level of cognitive understanding and use of language this person has.

I would suggest you try the following:
  • very simple language
  • pictorial information (i.e. pictures instead of written information)
  • short sentences
  • symbols
  • repeat information over and over, try not to tire or lose patience

If you are trying to teach the Arabic alphabet, perhaps you can connect letters with pictures of things which are relevant to her?

Also bear in mind that she simply may not have the cognitive ability to learn a new language.
How articulate is she in her mother tongue, and how much does she understand?
Can she read and write in her own language?

tango92
04-23-2010, 05:41 PM
you can try teaching her some harder work, that way the basic stuff will seem easy...

syilla
04-29-2010, 08:42 AM
I think first you need to tackle her concentration... then InshaAllah you can use pictures and graphics. Avoid distraction. Probably need more one to one teaching method. Don't let her be in class yet.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!