/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Want to know where society is headed?

جوري
04-27-2010, 03:00 PM
:sl:

I am posting this, and I feel so ashamed of my fellow New Yorkers, but unfortunately apathy is such a part of society now, like the atheist said on the other thread, if you don't like it turn off your set.. you should also turn off your humanity!

Video Shows People Passing Dying Man in NYC

Updated: 1 hour 47 minutes ago

Lisa Flam Contributor
AOL News
(April 26) -- They turn to look, but most do not stop.

Captured on a grainy video, several New Yorkers kept on walking as Hugo Alfredo Tale-Yax, 31, lay dying on a sidewalk in the city's Queens borough.

The homeless man was stabbed on April 18 at about 7:20 a.m. after approaching a man who was threatening a woman with a knife. He stumbled a few paces and collapsed facedown on the sidewalk as the attacker and woman ran off in different directions.

One man took a picture of Tale-Yax, and another lifted him by the shoulder before walking off. Most just gawked without so much as a break in their stride. Tale-Yax lay in a pool of blood, and by the time help arrived more than an hour and 20 minutes after he collapsed, he was dead.

The lack of action recalls other cases around the nation in which a victim lay hurt or dying and no one did anything to help. The most infamous is the 1964 rape and murder of Kitty Genovese in Queens. Dozens of people witnessed parts of the attack and didn't do anything to stop it.

More recently, a 78-year-old man was paralyzed and later died in a 2008 hit-and-run in Hartford, Conn., after which pedestrians looked on but didn't help, although several 911 calls were made. Also that year, a woman at a Brooklyn, N.Y., psychiatric hospital died on a waiting room floor after collapsing and being ignored for an hour. And earlier this year, three Seattle metro security guards were videotaped standing by as a group of teens beat a girl.

The Genovese case led to the 1970s term the "bystander effect" or the "Genovese syndrome" -- the more people who are around when somebody needs help, the less likely any one person will be to help, because everybody assumes somebody else will handle the problem.

"People essentially think that someone else will do it, and they kind of walk by thinking, 'Maybe I should, but no one else is stopping,'" New York psychologist Shara Sand told AOL News. "It's Kitty Genovese all over again."

People are influenced by those around them, she said, adding that if one person had stopped to help Tale-Yax, others would have too.

"Unfortunately, there's this sense that I don't want to get involved and that if no one else is there, then there must not really be something wrong," she said.

Other experts say this latest case is a little different from the 1964 Genovese killing, as several of the passers-by were alone, not in a group. They also note that times have changed and people have much more stressful lives than they did several decades ago. People are so busy and overwhelmed that they might not notice somebody needing help.

"It's a protection," said New York clinical psychologist Bonnie Jacobson. "It's putting a barrier between themselves and the world because they feel overstimulated, overwhelmed. We have such intense lives, especially in New York.

"It's not apathy. It's not being indifferent to helping," she said. "All of us are overwhelmed."

The people who walked by Tale-Yax could have had many things on their minds. "They're worried about their mother, their life, their job," Jacobson said. "They're just so internally stressed out, they're just not seeing the guy lying on the street."

Virginia Tech psychology professor Scott Geller agrees that in an age of e-mail and declining interpersonal communication, people can be unaware of those around them. The New York case may be an updated form of bystander apathy, he says.

"It could be the modern version -- that it doesn't matter if there are people around. We are still not likely to help others because we have other things to do," Geller said. "We're so into our own little networks, with e-mail and voice mail, we've really become oblivious to the other people around us. I'm wondering if some people walked by without even seeing him."

The people walking by also may have become desensitized to the sight of a man lying on a sidewalk and thought perhaps he was simply taking a nap, Geller said. Without recognizing that somebody needs help, people won't act, he said.

And, he added, although calling 911 is easy enough, some people don't help because they don't feel competent to do so.

People must feel prepared to help, Jacobson said. "People will fly to Haiti to help because they're emotionally prepared to do it," she said. "If not, you set up a wall."

Also, a victim might be on the ground dying without anyone helping because, with such busy lives, people don't want the hassle of getting involved and having their lives complicated by dealing with the police or having to testify in court, Geller says. And people are afraid of getting hurt.

"We're more suspicious now than ever before," Geller said. "We are very leery. This guy could be wanting you to come over, and he could jump up and steal something."

Still, Jacobson says New York is a kinder place since 9/11, and she believes people wouldn't have passed by Tale-Yax if they had seen him bleeding.

"If the guy had been lying face up and anyone had seen blood, you would have had action beyond belief," she said. "Nobody's going to pass by a bleeding man."

There have been no arrests in the Tale-Yax case, and the woman and the suspect remain unidentified, police said today.
Filed under: Nation, Crime
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/articl...dying/19454372

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Supreme
04-27-2010, 04:03 PM
That is disgraceful. I'dl ike to think I'd be a Good Samaritan in those situations, no matter how powerless I may be.

جوري
04-27-2010, 04:09 PM
It is disgraceful.. they didn't need to touch him if they thought him a contagious pariah, it is free to call 911.. I can't believe what people are turning into.. but it makes sense all the vile things I read on the internet, what can possibly come out of the minds of sub-animal humans except apathy and when anonymous extreme hate!

I called once for a guy who was on the streets lying down and it turns he was just drunk and asleep.. it didn't cost me anything and I remained anonymous.. what is wrong with people?

Dagless
04-27-2010, 04:22 PM
That's as good as killing him... those people should be charged with something.... I don't know what, but something... and shot too (in the leg :p).

edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Samaritan_law (I remember this happened in the final episode of Seinfeld too).

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
04-27-2010, 05:02 PM
^^ it is precisely why I despised that show, they embodied all the nasty things I hate in New Yorkers, and though I didn't watch it, I know that they all ended up in prison and I thought that was fitting for them.. problem is 85% of New Yorkers would end up there too given how nasty and off putting they are!

cat eyes
04-27-2010, 05:18 PM
that is disgusting. how could you just walk pass a dying body like that and even more stupid why would you even touch the body. at least they should have called 911 or something

I Guess nobody wants to be accused of anything you see thats what people are afraid of like so many people go missing every year too and when the parents of the victim cry out for witnesses to come forward nobody dose because they don't want to get involved and i guess its understandable too. people are always getting wrongly accused especially the people who try to help.

Danah
04-27-2010, 10:06 PM
This is very disgraceful, reminded me of what some of my siblings told me about US and west countries when they were there....they said that the majority are living their life in such apathy! you can do whatever you want without getting the attention of anyone... no one is caring about the other.
I felt pity for that woman in the video who died in hospital!! and that supposed to be a hospital !!:? common whats wring with those people??

I remember watching an episode of Tyra show about a drunk woman trying to drive her parked car and her little daughter who was trembling out of fear trying to stop her. Many people passed by those two without offering any help or even protect that kid who might be a victim of driving under such situation.

I don't really know how such people live their life :hmm:

islamirama
04-27-2010, 10:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
that is disgusting. how could you just walk pass a dying body like that and even more stupid why would you even touch the body. at least they should have called 911 or something

I Guess nobody wants to be accused of anything you see thats what people are afraid of like so many people go missing every year too and when the parents of the victim cry out for witnesses to come forward nobody dose because they don't want to get involved and i guess its understandable too. people are always getting wrongly accused especially the people who try to help.
Exactly! Reminds of one scenario my professor proposed in my business law class. You see your neighbor's pool door is open and no one around, you see a small child going in there and falls in the pool. Should you help him?

Morally you should go help him but legally its none of your business and if you do go there than you could be sue for trespassing or even accused of throwing the kids in there so the pool owners can save their own necks. America is that kind of a country where everyone looks out for themselves and are opportunists who would sue anyone they can to get some money. it's not rare to see some fat lazy slob slide and fall in wal-mart and than pretend to be hurt, go to hospitable in an ambulance and do the whole show for some money.

You will rarely find a good Samaritan these days when people are looking to make quick bucks, not loose them. Welcome to the opportunists world of capitalism where everyone is about "Me" only.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!