/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Spiders

Life_Is_Short
04-29-2010, 01:02 AM
:sl:

The kind that you find indoors in summer sometimes. Are they harmful?

They look scary but i'm sure they're not out to bite/kill everyone.

I usually end up killing them under the influence of my sister and feeling guilty afterwards.

Hopefully, this summer i intend to spare their tiny lives, despite what my sister says, if i find that they're not harmful. :p

I've got one trapped under a cup. It's a small one. Should i kill it or am i already killing it for that matter?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
~Raindrop~
04-29-2010, 01:08 AM
Gulp. I don't kill them (but that could have something to do with the fact that I'm too scared to go near them :X). I just tell my brother to get rid of it. Which is usually a mistake. 1 boy + 1 HUGE, HAIRY spider + 1 scared person (me) = recipe for disaster.
No prizes for guessing what happens.

Sawdah
04-29-2010, 01:08 AM
As long as they're in a corner and never move, I don't see how they could cause harm.

Life_Is_Short
04-29-2010, 01:17 AM
What about the one trapped under a cup next to my bed?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
-Elle-
04-29-2010, 01:17 AM
I don't know where you live, but people often told me they are not harmful whatsoever...well the house ones that is.

Ouh..I don't know about you, but I usually kill them (well, someone kills them for me) ...although I always save ladybugs and ants (i.e take them outside) I don't see why spiders should be any different, but I just can't imagine myself putting them on my finger and taking them outside, I'd faint before I even reach the door I think.

One time there was one in my room, I called my brother to kill it...so he killed it, but it fell (not sure if it was dead), and we stayed FOREVER looking for it (it fell RIGHT above my dresser with a million things on it) and we could NOT find it. We even took out the drawers and stuff..the spider vanished. :skeleton:

I freaked out, he didn't think it was a big deal. Anyway...I got over it.;D

lol

islamirama
04-29-2010, 01:18 AM
Wa'alaikum as'salaam,

whether you kill them or not, i would not trap them and let them starve to death like that. As for dangerous or not, try checking here

http://www.termite.com/spider-identification.html

marwen
04-29-2010, 01:19 AM
Yes, I don't think they're harmful, may be the spiders in the forest can be dangerous, but the spiders we find in the house are very tiny and maybe usefull, you know they eat little insect and may be they can keep the insects' population limited in the house.
Personally I don't hate spiders. They're not annoying like flies or mosquitoes, and I love watching spiders when they catch little insects (a really good show:p) you may have the chance to see it if you keep them alive :D Spider-Eating-Fly-Larvae

Woodrow
04-29-2010, 01:21 AM
the first thing to do is to learn to identify the dangerous spiders in your area. do not depend on folklore or information from local people. Go to the library or search on line for "Dangerous Spiders (type in where you live).

For example here is a listing for Dangerous spiders in the UK.

"If we could charge a pound for every question we receive about "giant, deadly, poisonous, man-eating, black widow spiders" we could retire today.

If you've found one of these "giant, deadly, poisonous, man-eating black widow spiders" then don't worry. Even though some spiders can, and very occasionally do, bite. It's very unlikely the spiders around your house are venomous to you or your pets. Although spiders use venom to overpower their prey, there are only a few spiders which have fangs strong enough to pierce human skin. If there are venomous spiders in your area, you will probably hear about them from your friends and neighbours.

ONES TO AVOID
Despite the fact that we have no dangerous spiders in UK, they seem to strike fear into people more than any other creature. We wanted to find out if any of this fear was justified, so to get an expert opinion we contacted Ian Dawson from the British Arachnological Society and asked him if there are any spiders in the U.K. which people should be wary of. Here's what he told us...

Garden Spiders (Araneus diadematus) have been recorded biting occasionally causing inflammation and itching for a day or two, and it is probable that a few other large spiders such as Argiope have jaws which can pierce human skin - though I have in fact never heard a convincing report of Argiope biting.

One interesting case is Tegenaria agrestis, a spider native to Europe (including southern Britain) which has been introduced to the U.S.A. where it is known as the Hobo Spider and has a bad reputation for giving nasty bites. To the best of my knowledge it has never been recorded biting in Europe, so the only plausible explanation I have read is that a different genotype has arisen over there. The large hairy spiders which turn up in the bathtub are also members of the genus Tegenaria, several species of which occur commonly in houses, but none posing the slightest threat.

The only species which has a bad reputation is the False Widow which occurs in association with human habitation in most parts of southern England and has been implicated in having a bite bad enough to need medical attention. However, it is certainly not life-threatening and the few bad bites may be more a case of someone reacting badly, just as some people are allergic to wasp stings. It can be very abundant where it occurs, such as in Portsmouth, and yet we never hear of it causing problems. Certainly none of our few spiders that have been recorded biting are at all aggressive, so any bites are accidental."

Source: http://www.uksafari.com/spiders4.htm

Sawdah
04-29-2010, 01:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Life_Is_Short
What about the one trapped under a cup next to my bed?
><

Get rid of it. (wait , it could already be dead. How long has it been under that cup?)

جوري
04-29-2010, 04:09 AM
two spiders to look out for.. brown recluse:

which can do this to you

and

black widow spider

Symptoms include pain radiating from the site of the bite, nausea, overall aching of the body, profuse sweating, and labored breathing.

so now you know!

:w:

Ramadhan
04-29-2010, 04:40 AM
house spiders are not dangerous.
In fact in warmer climate they help control population of annoying and more dangerous bugs like mosquitos.

Don't forget also that Allah SWT made spiders wove nets to hide/conceal prophet Muhammad SAW and Abu Bakar r.a. when they were hiding in the cave in mount tsur from the quraish who chased after them.

Donia
04-29-2010, 04:51 AM
Brother Woodrow made a very good point -- to know which spiders are dangerous in your area.

Sister Skye, thank you for posting about the Brown Recluse and Black Widow.
Unfortunately, we have both of those in my area.. :(

To the OP,

Sister I really admire your compassion for other living creatures. :) JazakAllah.

Ummu Sufyaan
04-29-2010, 06:33 AM
isnt that a red back skye? black widows look like that, except their body is all black, no?

جوري
04-29-2010, 02:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Donia
Brother Woodrow made a very good point -- to know which spiders are dangerous in your area.

Sister Skye, thank you for posting about the Brown Recluse and Black Widow.
Unfortunately, we have both of those in my area.. :(

:sl: brown recluse by their very nature are reclusive.. they usually attack if pressed against skin accidentally, if they are hiding in clothing or whatever.. they aren't always deadly, but can be fatal in children under 7

format_quote Originally Posted by Ummu Sufyaan
isnt that a red back skye? black widows look like that, except their body is all black, no?
:sl: black widow have a distinctive hour glass figure on their bodies.. lol I suppose it is a sign for the men that their days are numbered? they are fascinating creatures really.. sob7an Allah.. everything in creation is just amazing..an existence all its own..a story to tell..

:w:

innocent
04-29-2010, 02:32 PM
Pleeeeeeeease dont put pics of spiders up. They're scaaaaaaary.
I HAVE to kill em. Or hoover em up. Cant rest knowing that there is one in the house.

Mysterious Uk
04-29-2010, 02:47 PM
Aww don't kill the spiders people, they don't deserve to be killed because people are scared of them. I'm not a big fan of spiders either, I don't kill them though. Just put them in some sort of container and then put them outside. Or if the thought of going near a spider is too scary a handy bug catcher thing is useful ..

Supreme
04-29-2010, 04:14 PM
In broad daylight, in front of friends, I usually don't mind spiders. It's when the lights are off and you're in bed, envisioning them spinning a web above your head, where the problem lies.

Woodrow
04-29-2010, 04:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
In broad daylight, in front of friends, I usually don't mind spiders. It's when the lights are off and you're in bed, envisioning them spinning a web above your head, where the problem lies.
Ahh, but webs are a good sign. The truly dangerous spiders do not spin noticeable webs. If you see a big geometric web made in the classical spoke patterns, you can be certain the spider is not dangerous. Although some of the orb weavers can give a painful bite, it is not a dangerous bite.

Spiders are actually quite fascinating critters and most just want to live a quiet peaceful life. I do not know of any spiders that would actually attack a human. Bites occur because the spider got touched. No matter what you see about giant man-eating spiders on google, they do not exist except in imaginations and photo-shop retouching.

Smile at a spider, do not try to tickle it under it's chin and you both will be happy.

marwen
04-29-2010, 04:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Ahh, but webs are a good sign.
Yeah I think so. If spiders are dangerous and strong enough they probably will not need a web to catch preys : they'll do the job with their "hands" lol.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
04-29-2010, 08:05 PM
Aslaamu alaaaykum
Well, i use to kill the spiders but now i think of the spider as the Creation of Allaah, it doesnt cause harm, as for the ones sis Gossamer has warned us off, i dunno what i would do then, but Islamically i think if theyre gonna harm you then maybe you should kill it but thats my opinion InshaAllaah need to read up more.. and more the spiders in the household, if i see any i usually pick it up and put it outside lol and trust i do get scared, its just i dont wanna kill the spider, (lol i cried once coz i thought i killed one once :|)..but yeah just either get someone to pick it and place it outside, it doesnt do anything...lol so yeahh ...ad i think its bad to kill it too...
and placing it under a cup may resrict air from getting in so i think eventually it "May" die, so as i said place outside, or ask someone InshaAllaah :)
Hope i helped InshaAllaah

Wa alaaykum salaam

Woodrow
04-29-2010, 09:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim World 12
Aslaamu alaaaykum
Well, i use to kill the spiders but now i think of the spider as the Creation of Allaah, it doesnt cause harm, as for the ones sis Gossamer has warned us off, i dunno what i would do then, but Islamically i think if theyre gonna harm you then maybe you should kill it but thats my opinion InshaAllaah need to read up more.. and more the spiders in the household, if i see any i usually pick it up and put it outside lol and trust i do get scared, its just i dont wanna kill the spider, (lol i cried once coz i thought i killed one once :|)..but yeah just either get someone to pick it and place it outside, it doesnt do anything...lol so yeahh ...ad i think its bad to kill it too...
and placing it under a cup may resrict air from getting in so i think eventually it "May" die, so as i said place outside, or ask someone InshaAllaah :)
Hope i helped InshaAllaah

Wa alaaykum salaam
I don't want to encourage anybody to trap spiders. But if you or anybody is catching them in jars, bottles etc. They are quite resilient creatures and can withstand a lot of captivity before being transported to a safe location. A cup of air should be enough to suffice a large one for for several days and most can go several weeks without food or water. So if the intent is to keep it captive until it can be turned loose in a safe environment, a person most likely can do so without harming the spider even if they have to keep it in a jar for a few days.

A bit of trivia: Many years ago when my kids were babies I caught a male black widow. I wanted to bring it to the local university and show it off in the bio lab as few people have ever seen a live male black widow. I put it in a baby food jar. Well things happened. The poor spider got put in my tool box and forgotten about. I finally found it a year later. It was still alive and healthy. I turned it loose and it scampered off, undamaged from it's long ordeal.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
04-29-2010, 10:11 PM
^ Ohh SubhaanAllaah...forgive me for my previous post inshaAllaah..
I never knew they could survive that long :o...dont they breathe through air? hmm MashaAllaah i never knew interesting thoo
Jazakallah for clearing the misconception indeed

Woodrow
04-29-2010, 10:44 PM
^ Ohh SubhaanAllaah...forgive me for my previous post inshaAllaah..
I never knew they could survive that long :o...dont they breathe through air? hmm MashaAllaah i never knew interesting thoo
Jazakallah for clearing the misconception indeed
They do breathe air through pores in their abdomen. But they are quite small in relation to us and use very little air. A small jar to them would be like a person being in a space capsule.

Your concern about the well being of any of Allaah(swt)'s creation is very admirable. It is a very good trait to not want to mistreat any living creature.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
04-29-2010, 10:49 PM
Aslaamu alaaykum...
InshaAllaah as the Prophet sallahu alaayhi wa salam loved all animals, and plants..the story about a tree crying ( i think) was very beautiful and quite inspiring lol i tried talking to a tree :|...( i know its weird) :\....because i heard or read (not sure where) but they the trees or plants can hear us or something...correct me if im wrong on that..also that Animals like to listen to Quraan? so if you have a beautiful voice they will come close to you? sorry if going off topic, just a lil curious Indeed :\.....

Wa alaaykum Salaam

Woodrow
04-29-2010, 11:02 PM
Aslaamu alaaykum...
InshaAllaah as the Prophet sallahu alaayhi wa salam loved all animals, and plants..the story about a tree crying ( i think) was very beautiful and quite inspiring lol i tried talking to a tree :|...( i know its weird) :\....because i heard or read (not sure where) but they the trees or plants can hear us or something...correct me if im wrong on that..also that Animals like to listen to Quraan? so if you have a beautiful voice they will come close to you? sorry if going off topic, just a lil curious Indeed :\.....

Wa alaaykum Salaam
It would not surprise me if that is true. I have often found that animals will respond to a calm voice.

Life_Is_Short
04-30-2010, 12:11 PM
I let it go.

Jazak'Allah Khair for all the information. I've learnt a lot about spiders. We have a small park in front of our house and that is where they come from.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
04-30-2010, 02:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
It would not surprise me if that is true. I have often found that animals will respond to a calm voice.
MashaAllaah thats beautiful Alhamdulilaah

Snowflake
04-30-2010, 10:30 PM
As far as I'm concerned all spiders are dangerous if they are BIG. I feel my heart will stop and all sorts of things start happening to me. I never kill them. But last night I looked up to see a huge one sitting on my ceiling. I thought I was going to pass out. I was so scared of leaving it I sucked it up in the vacuum cleaner. Astaghfirullah. :( Even that took a whole 5 minutes because I couldn't even bear to touch it with the vacuum cleaner. I'm still feeling spider-wary today. :\

I wish I could overcome my fear so as not to have to kill another one again.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!