/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Mercy Killing

HAWA*~
05-01-2010, 11:54 PM
*WARNING* you may think this is a stupid question. :hiding:
I have a bug trap in my room (The gooey kind) and there is a spider stuck to it can I just kill the spider because I feel bad for it and I cant take it off the trap because it's legs will rip off?
I dont mind spiders just other bugs.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
HAWA*~
05-03-2010, 05:19 AM
lol it took this long for the topic to be posted... nevermind the spider died...alone...and in pain
please close the topic or let it fade into obscurity

PouringRain
05-03-2010, 05:34 AM
Awwwwww....... I know how you feel! When I was young I once got scared and threw a shoe at a roach and then it severely injured the roach, but did not kill it, and I felt so badly for the roach. I scooped it up and put it outside..... where it probably got eaten by ants and killed. :(

Snowflake
05-03-2010, 06:19 AM
It's good to feel bad when something of Allah's creation is harmed by our own hands. I normally throw spiders and bugs out of the window. But this one was so big *I've got goosies just thinking about it* there was no way I could go near it. I couldn't stay in the house with it either so I let Hetty suck it up. I felt really bad. It's been about 3 days now and I still haven't got over killing it, or over the fear of seeing it.

For anyone who doesn't know, Hetty is the female version of Henry.

Isn't she adorable :statisfie

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Snowflake
05-03-2010, 03:51 PM
Hi PouringRain, I thought I'd show you Hetty's other half, Henry. People normally don't buy these as they are commercial products. That's why you probably haven't heard of them. I was sick of vaccum cleaners going bust, so that's when I decided to get Hetty. Well actually I'd gone to buy Henry, and found he's got married. It's real fun having Hetty, cuz when I'm pulling the vacuum cleaner behind me, I look back, to see Hetty following me around with that adorable cute smile and crazily I think, she's like the daughter I never had lool. :embarrass

Okkk lol I obviously need a break :p:

PouringRain
05-03-2010, 03:56 PM
Those are sooooo cute! I agree with you that I get sick of vacuum cleaners always breaking also. For a time I was buying a new one every year. Right now I have a Kirby that my mom purchased.

Snowflake
05-03-2010, 03:57 PM
I think every home should invest in one of these to get rid of spiders/bugs humanely..

Spider Catcher Vacuum

http://www.primrose.co.uk/spider-catcher-p-2294.html

Snowflake
05-03-2010, 04:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PouringRain
Those are sooooo cute! I agree with you that I get sick of vacuum cleaners always breaking also. For a time I was buying a new one every year. Right now I have a Kirby that my mom purchased.
I had a Dyson which lasted 8 years and would've lasted more if I hadn't powdered my carpet with Shake & Vac. It blocked the filters and killed the motor. I heard the new dysons are awesome but it's madness spending that much money on a carpet sucker lol. I wish Kirby years of suction power, but when he tires, get Hetty. You'll love her.

Dagless
05-03-2010, 09:11 PM
I would like to know the answer to the original question too.

With insects being small and less like us it may mean the guilt is also less but lets say you hit an animal with your car (deer, dog, cat, rabbit, etc.) and the animal is obviously in pain.

Now would mercy killing be haram? What if its not feasible to go around looking for a vet and the animal is suffering? (maybe you're in the middle of the woods? or you're in a town but its late at night or whatever...)

Do you let the animal suffer where it is and try to get help knowing you may not find someone in time? Are you meant to take the animal with you (even though there maybe blood and guts everywhere) and keep at home until help can be found?

Lastly, what is the exact method for mercy killing? It might be all well and good if you're American and happen to be carrying enough guns and ammo to overthrow a small African country, but what if you're not? What would mercy killing involve? Throat cutting? What if there is no knife? Do you back over it again with your car?

Sorry for the long post but I'm genuinely interested in the answers.

Briefly: 1) Is mercy killing allowed? 2) Under what circumstances? 3) By which method? 4) If done wrong can the punishment be the same as taking any other life? 5) Does not knowing its a sin expiate the sin? This is the norm in Islam but I'm not sure if it counts for inbuilt morals (like knowing the taking of a life is wrong).

HAWA*~
05-03-2010, 10:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PouringRain
Awwwwww....... I know how you feel! When I was young I once got scared and threw a shoe at a roach and then it severely injured the roach, but did not kill it, and I felt so badly for the roach. I scooped it up and put it outside..... where it probably got eaten by ants and killed. :(
PouringRain lol any feelings of mercy I feel for roaches are very short and fleeting. I despise roaches with a passion.
Scents of Jannah- I also throw bugs out the window or call my little sister to throw them out the window.
Dagless- Inshallah we'll get the answer :hmm:

Cabdullahi
05-03-2010, 10:45 PM
why didnt u just pick it up with two fingers and gobble it up

HAWA*~
05-04-2010, 12:21 AM
I could'nt pick it up. It was stuck and I briefly entertained the idea of gobbling it up but i'm not familiar with spider, does it taste good?

Snowflake
05-07-2010, 10:06 PM
Dagless;1324162]I would like to know the answer to the original question too.

With insects being small and less like us it may mean the guilt is also less but lets say you hit an animal with your car (deer, dog, cat, rabbit, etc.) and the animal is obviously in pain.
It it was a deer or a rabbit, I'd slaughter it and eat it. Yummy it's not everyday you get to eat deer or rabbit. Anything that I couldn't eat I'd try to save by taking it to the vet. If it dies on the way I'd bury it. I saw a cat get hit by a car once. By the time I got out of mine, she'd died. I couldn't bear to leave her there so I put her in the boot and took her home. I gave her a decent burial in my fluffy towel.

Now would mercy killing be haram? What if its not feasible to go around looking for a vet and the animal is suffering? (maybe you're in the middle of the woods? or you're in a town but its late at night or whatever...)

Do you let the animal suffer where it is and try to get help knowing you may not find someone in time? Are you meant to take the animal with you (even though there maybe blood and guts everywhere) and keep at home until help can be found?
Well, like I said, I'd try to help it if I could. But if there's blood and guts everywhere, chances are it will die anyway or the vet will put it to sleep. I wouldn't kill it myself in case it might have survived it's injury naturally.

Lastly, what is the exact method for mercy killing? It might be all well and good if you're American and happen to be carrying enough guns and ammo to overthrow a small African country, but what if you're not? What would mercy killing involve? Throat cutting? What if there is no knife? Do you back over it again with your car?
Allahu alam. I don't know what Islam says about that. But running it over again isn't merciful lol. If I'm in the middle of nowhere and can't do anything, I'd just leave it to Allah to take care of it.

Briefly: 1) Is mercy killing allowed? 2) Under what circumstances? 3) By which method? 4) If done wrong can the punishment be the same as taking any other life? 5) Does not knowing its a sin expiate the sin? This is the norm in Islam but I'm not sure if it counts for inbuilt morals (like knowing the taking of a life is wrong).
You'd have to ask a scholar brother. However, Allah is Kind and Oft Forgiving. he does not hold us accountable for wrong doing out of ignorance. SubhanAllah.

جوري
05-08-2010, 07:57 PM

I found this moderately funny video when I was googling this cute vacuum... :D

Karina
05-08-2010, 08:29 PM
I like this thread. I wish more people respected the planets creatures no matter how unpleasant they find them.

I love nature, like beyond anything I can describe, and I could never bring myself to kill anything - unless of course it was putting my own life in serious danger!

I even feel painfully guilty if I accidentally tread on a tiny insect!

Also - I think we are taught many of our fears from a very early age and an irrational fear of spiders or the like is probably learned from a parent.
A friend of mine is so scared of spiders that once, when she and her son were upstairs in their house and she saw a spider on the stairs, she had to call her husband at work to come and move it! Her son is now equally as frightened of spiders, what a shame, they're such fascinating creatures!

All those little lives lost because of irrational fear!! :cry:imsadimsad

Karina
05-08-2010, 08:31 PM
PS. I love Russell Howard, he's really funny!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!