/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Questions..

Lonely Gal
05-02-2010, 05:45 AM
just wondering..I have come across various places that suggest u pray 2 nafil followed by a certain name of Allah swt, whether this may be for help in a matter or sakoon in life etc.. now as there are many names of Allah swt that one can read, must u pray 2 nafil for each name u read at the end 100x for example if i was to read Al Lateefu would i pray 2 nafil, read this name and then pray another 2 nafil before reading 100 x Al Samadu...

Another questions, i have a rack of shoes in my room, and sometimes when i pray, i also sit on the prayer mat readin the Qu'ran, I realised yesterday when i was reading that altho the shoes are behind me, they become to be at a higher level than me sitting on the floor with the Qu'ran.. is this wrong?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
أبو سليمان عمر
05-02-2010, 06:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lonely Gal
just wondering..I have come across various places that suggest u pray 2 nafil followed by a certain name of Allah swt, whether this may be for help in a matter or sakoon in life etc.. now as there are many names of Allah swt that one can read, must u pray 2 nafil for each name u read at the end 100x for example if i was to read Al Lateefu would i pray 2 nafil, read this name and then pray another 2 nafil before reading 100 x Al Samadu...
followed by a certain name of Allah what do u mean pls explain
Another questions, i have a rack of shoes in my room, and sometimes when i pray, i also sit on the prayer mat readin the Qu'ran, I realised yesterday when i was reading that altho the shoes are behind me, they become to be at a higher level than me sitting on the floor with the Qu'ran.. is this wrong?
Allah knows best but i dont think it is a problem lol the prophet use to pray with his shoes on
Abu Dawood (650) narrated that Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri said: “Whilst the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was leading his companions in prayer, he took off his shoes and placed them to his left. When the people saw that, they took off their shoes too. When the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) finished his prayer he said, ‘What made you take off your shoes?’ They said, ‘We saw you taking off your shoes so we took off ours too.’ The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, ‘Jibreel (peace be upon him) came to me and told me that there was something dirty on them [my shoes].’ And he said, ‘When any one of you comes to the mosque, let him look at his shoes and if there is anything dirty on them, let him wipe it off and pray in them.’” (Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood, 605).

Lonely Gal
05-02-2010, 06:24 AM
As Allah swt names have a meaning and can be used to repeat at the time of difficulty etc..so after nafil read a certain name 100 x for example

أبو سليمان عمر
05-02-2010, 06:27 AM
if what you mean is after you pray just sit there and repeat ALLAH'S NAME then no this isnt from the sunnah this seems as to a sufi thing in times of difficulty you should do dua and avoid sins pray nawfil then dua

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
aadil77
05-02-2010, 08:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umar^111
if what you mean is after you pray just sit there and repeat ALLAH'S NAME then no this isnt from the sunnah this seems as to a sufi thing in times of difficulty you should do dua and avoid sins pray nawfil then dua
Yh I don't know where they get these numbers from, in the asian culture its usually elders who tell so and so to pray a certain name of Allah 100x, 5000x. I've not read anything about it from the sunnah.

I've noticed that whenever I speak to arab brothers or observe them, alot of these practices are unheard of to them.

Insaanah
05-02-2010, 01:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
Yh I don't know where they get these numbers from, in the asian culture its usually elders who tell so and so to pray a certain name of Allah 100x, 5000x. I've not read anything about it from the sunnah.
True.

:sl: sister,

Yes we people (and I don't mean just you sister, many of us) are of the opinion that if somethings happened and we want Allah to help us, we must read x thing 100 times and Y name of Allah's another 100 times etc.

I don't know why, but we seem to be afraid of, or think that we can't, talk to Allah and ask of Him. He is our Creator, our Protecting Helper, the Hearer of our Du'as and the Remover of our troubles. So why can't we talk to Him and have a straight conversation with Him?

What we have been taught in the sunnah, and in the Qur'an is to make du'a.

A means of having one's du'a accepted, is by mentioning the dire circumstances that one is in, and the desperate need that one has for Allah's Mercy and Blessings E.g. in Surah Maryam, ayah 4, Zakariyya alaihissalaam starts his du'a for a son by mentioning the state that he is in of old age, and how he needs a son, for he might be on the verge of death. Nuh alaissalaam, when he was rejected by his own people, cried out, "Annee maghloobun fantasir! I have been overpowered, so help me!" (Surah al-Qamar, ayah 10). So he mentioned the appalling circumstances that he was in - that he had been overpowered by his enemies - and used that in the du'a to increase the chances of his du'a being responded to. Likewise, when Musa was alone in the valley of Midyan, with no supporter or helper, he cried to Allah, "Rabbi innee limaa anzalta ilayya min khayrin faqeer! O my Lord! Verily I am faqir (needy) for whatever good that you can send down upon me."(Surah al-Qasas, ayah 24).

This is even used amongst people. E.g. doesn't a beggar, when he stands up to ask for money, announce, "I am a person with a large family, and I have many debts to pay back, and cannot find work...?" All of this is used in order for him to obtain more sympathy from the people that hear him, and indeed to Allah belongs the greatest example.

Imagine if the beggar doesn't tell people his situation, doesn't tell them what he needs, but just says, "o people, o people, o people,..." (100 times). It's not going to work as well is it?

We can ask Allah by His names and attributes, eg O Allah, I ask You by Your being the One and Only God, and by Your being the Hearer of du'as and Bestower of blessings, Remover of Troubles, that you remove xyz trouble from me, and grant me blessings etc.

What you describe is not from the sunnah, as far as I know. Why not make du'a as taught by the Prophet :saws:, and as was the way of all the former Prophets (alayhim assalaam)? Isn't that the best way?

And Allah knows best.

:sl:

Lonely Gal
05-02-2010, 01:29 PM
thanks guys, but is it no sunni to call by His names, as each one does have a meaning for different things?

Insaanah
05-02-2010, 01:34 PM
:sl: sister,

Absolutely we should call on Him by His Beautiful names, and ask Him by them eg "O Most-Forgiving One, please forgive me", but this taking a certain name and repeating this name a set number of times to achieve a certain purpose is not from the sunnah.

And Allah knows best.

:sl:

aadil77
05-02-2010, 01:35 PM
thanks guys, but is it no sunni to call by His names, as each one does have a meaning for different things?
ofcourse you can call Allah by any of His names, you can even say them 5 million times if you want, but if someone tells you that by praying a certain name of Allah 500 times that this will solve a certain problem then this is wrong as it is said no where in the sunnah

Lonely Gal
05-02-2010, 01:36 PM
ok i get ya.. its not sayin that it will solve ur problem, just to read the name i guess. i tend to read a tasib of the name which equals to a 100..

أبو سليمان عمر
05-02-2010, 01:44 PM
to sit and call Him by His names is not from the sunnah but to sit and ask Him by his names is
for example siting and saying Allah Allah Allah or any other name is not from the sunnah at all but to sit and say oh Allah forgive me ya raheem have mercy on me so on so on is from the sunnah

Abu Zainab
05-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Sister Insane that was awesome. Thanx

And sister Lonely, to make a claim that reading such and such thing a certain number of times will relieve your distress or provide some other benefit requires proof from the Quran or sunnah.

However calling Allaah with any of His beautiful names is a command from Allaah himself. For example if you are praying for forgiveness it is appropriate to say "Rabbigh-firli innaka antal Ghafoor-ur-Raheem"....Here we have used two of His names - Ghafoor (The one (and only) who forgives) and Raheem (The Most Merciful). You can read it as many times you want and whenever you want. We cannot say for example read it 111 times after maghrib facing the qibla...etc...etc...and all your sins will be forgiven.....that would be bid'ah.

There is one dua' that came to mind for relieving distress : "Allaah, Allaahu rabbi. Laa ushriku bihi shay-aa" - Allaah, Allaah is my Lord. I do not associate anything with Him.

And regarding seeking help from Allaah....praying two rak'ahs and saying dua' is enough....especially if you pray in the third part of the night (an hour or two before Fajr.) Praise and Glorify Allaah much and recite darood and repent....this is the key for getting your dua' answered quickly.

Sister download "Fortress of the Muslim" from here. Please read it from beginning to end. The book is full of authentic dua's. You will know what dua' to read for a certain situation.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!