/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Highest Mosque in Tallest Building

islamirama
05-02-2010, 05:41 PM
Highest Mosque in Tallest Building

1/6/2010

The worlds tallest building opened in a blaze of fireworks, parachute jumps and shooting streams of water from the world's tallest fountain.

At an estimated cost of $1.5 billion, the Burj Khalifa took five years to build, is more than 160 floors high and has comfortably surpassed the previous record holder in Taiwan, the Taipei 101.

More than 12,000 people will occupy its 6 million square feet, zooming up and down in 54 elevators that can reach speeds of 40 miles an hour.

It will have the world's highest mosque, on the 158th floor; the world's highest swimming pool, on the 76th floor; the highest observation deck, on the 124th floor; and the first hotel by the fashion designer Armani. Burj Khalifa also claims to hold several other world records, including: tallest free-standing structure in the world (previously held by Toronto's CN Tower); elevator with the longest travel distance in the world and most number of stories in the world.

The Burj Dubai is so tall that one can see it from 100 kilometers (63 miles) inland and sailors can see it from the ocean, 50 nautical miles out in the Gulf. The tower is so enormous that the air temperature at the top is up to 8 degrees Celsius (14 degrees Fahrenheit) lower than at the base.

The tallest tower in the world not only entered record books on but now will make its way into many architecture and management classes as a case study.

Height: 2,717 feet
Stories: 160+ stories
Square footage: 5 million
Designer: Adrian Smith
Residences: 900
Corporate suites: 37 floors of office space
Armani Hotel: 160 guest rooms and suites
Underground parking: 3,000 spaces
Cost: $1.5 billion
"Burj Khalifa is a piece in the developing trajectory of tall buildings," Professor Peter A. Di Sabatino, Dean of the School of Architecture and Design at American University of Sharjah (AUS), said.

"With material and design advancement, buildings have increased in height and dimension over time. The Burj Khalifa is currently the tallest and it is important to understand it from a historical perspective as well as a new piece in the trend," he said.

The tower that has been constructed by Emaar Properties is a catalyst that has created a vertical neighborhood and beyond - including the 500-acre development at its base including Dubai Mall, according to the professor.

Adrian Smith, designer of the Burj Khalifa said he tried to blend the Islamic and modern Western architecture for the tallest tower.

Steps that move in an upward spiral and the view from the top or the base that evokes a shape like onion domes are influenced by Islamic architecture. As it tapers upward, one of the three lobes is shifted slightly backward about every eight floors, an effect that is reminiscent of an Islamic spiral minaret and provides the tower with 26 terraces. The triple-buttressed outline of the Burj Khalifa was inspired by the desert lily. The building was rotated 120 degrees by engineers, a deviation from the original design, to reduce stress from winds at such great heights.

The tower also has a unique 'intelligent elevator' mechanism that marks the highest installation in any building and also provides a streamlined and speedy journey across floors.

Historically, high rise structures have served as office spaces or monuments but the Burj Khalifa has moved away from the conventional and made the tower residential as well. "The fact that it is residential is fascinating and is an amazing strategy, that makes it popular," Katodrytis said.

Bringing together the thousands of workers to design and construct the tallest tower in the world is no easy feat and understanding how developers coordinated the project will be a lesson for management students at the British University in Dubai.

"In case of a project like the Burj Khalifa, packaging is essential which means you get the best people to do different aspects of the project," said Mohammed Dulaimi, Senior Lecturer for Project Management at the university.

Dubai was little more than a sleepy fishing village a generation ago, but has boomed into the Middle East's commercial hub in the past two decades on the back of business-friendly trading policies, security, and vast amounts of overseas investment.

http://www.islamicity.com/articles/Articles.asp?ref=IC1001-4029

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aadil77
05-02-2010, 10:00 PM
If thers a masjid on that floor they'll have to let us in. Imagine how much of a bad deed it will be if muslims aren't allowed into the masjid lol

Beardo
05-02-2010, 10:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
If thers a masjid on that floor they'll have to let us in. Imagine how much of a bad deed it will be if muslims aren't allowed into the masjid lol
So true. And we're talking FREE entrance. I would love to go there and pray. :ermm: Being honest. Don't criticize me for that. >_< I know someone's reading this and saying to themselves that buildings like this are a waste of money etc blah blah.

But now that it's already made, it's too late for that. So why not?

aadil77
05-02-2010, 10:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
So true. And we're talking FREE entrance. I would love to go there and pray. :ermm: Being honest. Don't criticize me for that. >_< I know someone's reading this and saying to themselves that buildings like this are a waste of money etc blah blah.

But now that it's already made, it's too late for that. So why not?
yh man you can probably see the kabah from up there

it would be an amazing view

I reckon having a masjid in ther is a good idea, since building high buildings is meant to be a sign of qiyamah and something of excesss they'd need a masjid in there to keep the blessings coming lol

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
-Elle-
05-02-2010, 10:35 PM
Oh I did an entire project on that building about a week ago...there was alot of controversy regarding the way they treated their workers, absolutely dreadful, its environmental impact (did you know it takes from 6-8 weeks to clean the windows only!?).. one good thing though: due to the clashing indoor and outdoor temperatures, a significant amount of condensation occurs...and the water from this condensation is collected through a separate piping system and used to water the park around the building.

here's a video which shows the view from the top of the tower:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWVLzVhnYE0

Sawdah
05-03-2010, 12:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by houda~

here's a video which shows the view from the top of the tower:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWVLzVhnYE0
Wow. I don't know how he does it. I would've drop the camera long ago and faint. :skeleton:

ardianto
05-03-2010, 05:22 AM
Don't ever thinking higher place for salah will makes us closer to Allah.

Snowflake
05-03-2010, 05:31 AM
^well said! I think it's freaky and a total waste of money. Just showing the West, "Oooh look we can build a taller skyscraper than you!"

That money could've helped numerous homeless, sick and starving human beings around the world.

Pygoscelis
05-03-2010, 05:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scents of Jannah
^well said! I think it's freaky and a total waste of money. Just showing the West, "Oooh look we can build a taller skyscraper than you!"

That money could've helped numerous homeless, sick and starving human beings around the world.
I completely agree. I was watching an in depth report on this and they reported the massive waste of money and the top levels being useless. Apparently they set the top levels for storage, but who wants to store stuff way up there? And also, imagine the hydro costs. Every time you flush a toilet you gotta pump water up THAT high? zoiks. Also, you can get out on the roof like that? Sounds like base jumpers (sky divers) will flock to the place and try to get past security and off that roof.

Snowflake
05-03-2010, 06:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
I completely agree. I was watching an in depth report on this and they reported the massive waste of money and the top levels being useless. Apparently they set the top levels for storage, but who wants to store stuff way up there? And also, imagine the hydro costs. Every time you flush a toilet you gotta pump water up THAT high? zoiks. Also, you can get out on the roof like that? Sounds like base jumpers (sky divers) will flock to the place and try to get past security and off that roof.
I suppose storing stuff at the top isn't a problem with lifts around. The whole darn thing is ridiculous. I think all these tall pompous buildings will come crashing down soon. Good luck to the base-jumpers. They are a crazy lot lol.

Vito
05-03-2010, 02:01 PM
At an estimated cost of $1.5 billion
This forum seriously needs a /facepalm emoticon. Either of these will do for now:

Pygoscelis
05-03-2010, 02:10 PM
I could understand such a building going up in a place like Japan where there is no other direction to build in, but isn't there lots of land in this spot?

Chuck
05-06-2010, 08:36 AM
It is a business decision, they made 10% net profit on the building, so it worked from business point of view. As for charity, you need income streams, which Dubai is generating. Dubai has a charity program called "Dubai Cares" which has sent billions of dollars in charity.

Dubai Cares website: http://www.dubaicares.ae/

Dubai cares achievements: http://www.dubaicares.ae/viewVideo/166

S_87
05-06-2010, 12:55 PM
Dubai is going through a we want the biggest and best of everything phase at the moment hence the worlds tallest, worlds biggest, worlds only etc

shuraimfan4lyf
05-06-2010, 03:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
Go in for praying then slowly wander around the whole building :P

I read that the worlds largest cross is built into that building facing the Kaba..Wallahu 3lam if Tom Wright meant to do that on purpose.

aadil77
05-06-2010, 03:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by shuraimfan4lyf

I read that the worlds largest cross is built into that building facing the Kaba..Wallahu 3lam if Tom Wright meant to do that on purpose.

lol the cross dont mean anything,

but yh I'd go in and say I'm a muslim so let me in now or you get bad deeds for makin me miss salaah

Abdul Wahid
05-06-2010, 05:08 PM
Personally I would never want to visit Dubai.

So all the big buildings and everything else they have for show I can live without.

Chuck
05-06-2010, 05:43 PM
That building is not facing Kaba. And that building is built to resemble the sail of a dhow, a type of Arabian vessel. Two "wings" spread in a V to form a vast "mast", while the space between them is enclosed in a massive atrium... it is not exactly a cross. This is stupid.

Read more hear: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burj_Al_Arab

real life pic:

format_quote Originally Posted by shuraimfan4lyf

Woodrow
05-06-2010, 06:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
Highest Mosque in Tallest Building

Adrian Smith, designer of the Burj Khalifa said he tried to blend the Islamic and modern Western architecture for the tallest tower.
Education and childhood

Adrian Smith was born on August 19, 1944 in Chicago. His family moved from Illinois when he was the age of five and settled in San Clemente, California. Growing up within distance of the ocean and beach, the young Adrian was instilled with a respect for the relationship between a building and its environment. "It gave me a sense of place," he has said.[2] His father, Alfred Smith, ran a department store and was a member of the city council. But it was his mother who suggested to him when he was in high school that he become an architect based on his abilities with math and geometry.[2]

Adrian went to Texas A&M University in College Station, TX from 1962–1966. While visiting home during 1966, he made small talk with an accountant at a wholesale warehouse in L.A. while his father picked out women's dresses for the store. This accountant was the father-in-law of a Chicago architect. And Adrian used the contact that he had made to write Bruce Graham, the son-in-law, and ask for a job. Bruce Graham replied that Skidmore, Owings & Merrill was not hiring but that he should apply the following year. In 1967 Adrian began his thirty nine year career at SOM as an intern working on the John Hancock Center, one of Graham's building projects.[2]

Adrian graduated from the University of Illinois - Chicago in 1969.[3]

Adrian met his wife, Nancy at SOM where she worked as an assistant. They have two children, Katherine and Jason.
SOURCE

Am I the only one who feels uncomfortable about this. I just feel it is odd that the building of a Masjid has filled the pockets of a wealthy American Architect

Chuck
05-06-2010, 06:22 PM
Bro/Uncle, I don't know what to call you lol.

Anyhow, building is not exactly for masjid, but they have build a masjid on one of the top floor, which makes it the highest masjid in the world. As for the architect, they are the top of the class architects. They used whoever was the best for the job. You don't know the details so it is making you uncomfortable, but the income that is coming from these projects do go to good use. UAE is a country that has one of the highest charity contributions in the world, I'm not sure if it is highest among muslim countries but it is one of the top. And income definitely helps with charity, but UAE is still behind developed countries in GDP, but it is getting there, and so is the charity work.
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
SOURCE

Am I the only one who feels uncomfortable about this. I just feel it is odd that the building of a Masjid has filled the pockets of a wealthy American Architect

Woodrow
05-06-2010, 06:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Chuck
Bro/Uncle, I don't know what to call you lol.

Anyhow, building is not exactly for masjid, but they have build a masjid on one of the top floor, which makes it the highest masjid in the world. As for the architect, they are the top of the class architects. They used whoever was the best for the job. You don't know the details so it is making you uncomfortable, but the income that is coming from these projects do go to good use. UAE is a country that has one of the highest charity contributions in the world, I'm not sure if it is highest among muslim countries but it is one of the top. And income definitely helps with charity, but UAE is still behind developed countries in GDP, but it is getting there, and so is the charity work.
I'm probably just uncomfortable because Adrian Smith is a Texas Aggie from A&M and I am a Louisiana Narylander from Centenary. I can talk about A&M again since I no longer live in Texas.

There were three Aggies huddled around each other at a local bar. All of a sudden, they jumped up and yelled,
"Yeah, 45! 45!" The bartender goes down to them and asks, "45? What are you guys so excited about?"
One of the Aggies speaks up: "We just finished a jigsaw puzzle. The box said 2 to 3 years, and we did it in 45 days!"

What is the difference between an Aggie and a carp?
One is a bottom feeding scum sucker and the other is a fish.

Did you hear about the Aggie terrorist who tried to blow up the Longhorn team bus.
He burned his lip on the tailpipe.

How many Aggies does it take to screw in a light bulb?
One, but he gets 3 hours credit.

What is the difference between the Aggies and Rice Crispies?
Rice Crispies know what to do in a bowl.

Where was O.J. hiding right before the famous white Bronco Chase?
On the A&M campus, because that's the last place you'll find a football player.

Did you hear about the skeleton they found in a closet in one of the dorms at A&M?
It was the 1963 hide-and-go-seek champion!

Did you hear about the Aggie who won a gold medal at the Olympics?
He liked it so much that he decided to get it bronzed.

Chuck
05-06-2010, 08:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I'm probably just uncomfortable because Adrian Smith is a Texas Aggie from A&M and I am a Louisiana Narylander from Centenary. I can talk about A&M again since I no longer live in Texas.
I don't know about his history there, but he is considered top architect. Now he is working on two very big building projects in China.

Woodrow
05-06-2010, 09:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Chuck
I don't know about his history there, but he is considered top architect. Now he is working on two very big building projects in China.
When it comes to Tall Buildings he does have the Best reputation for building them. I believe he also had something to do with the design of our TV Antenna in ND. For a long time it was the World's Tallest Structure, Although not a building. It was quite a feat and actually serves very few people.

Our claim to fame:

Curently the world’s tallest structure built on land, but planned to drop off the podium by the end of 2010, is the KVLY-TV, a television mast that rises at 628 m (2063 ft). Used by Gargo station KVLY Channel 11, it serves a very large area (30,000 square miles) in North Dakota, USA.

KVLY mast
The KVLY-TV mast

The tower was assembled by a 11 members crew in 33 days back in 1963,
which is pretty amazing for a structure that big. Only the antenna in the top weighs 9000 pounds and can be accessed via an elevator or by stairs (just imagine how it would be to climb up an iron ladder 600 metres high…) SOURCE

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!