/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Dive, dive, dive!

Ramadhan
05-03-2010, 07:41 AM
I wonder if any of you here also have interest or hobby in (scuba) diving, as I do.
I first took my diving courses (PADI - Professional Association of Diving Instructors) ten years ago and has taken certificates in Open Water, Advanced, and rescue licenses.
I wasn't really interested in diving until I traveled all over Indonesia which gave me the chance to do some snorkeling here and there in these vast archipelago. Even snorkeling, i could see how beautiful the underwater life was, and it really entranced me.
Since I get my first diving license, I have dived in the world's top diving destinations in Indonesia (Bunaken, Sabang, Komodo Island, and many other sites), the great barrier reef in Australia, Ko Tao and ko phiphi in Thailand. I wish one day to be able to dive in Macronesia, Palau, Maldives, and Costa Rica and Belize. I have encountered smaller whales, sharks, sting rays, dolphins, pelagic fish, almost all varieties of turtles (leatherback, green, hawksbill, etc), countless types of coral fishes - shy, playful or downright dangerous, to the tiny super vibrant colorful nudibranch (sea snails).

While diving down below looking at the amazing corals and beautiful fish I always get this kind of spiritual experience, one is because it's so calm so peaceful down there and second because it hits home hard how Great The Creator of all these creatures must be, and makes me so grateful of everything that Allah SWT has provided. The underwater nature in tropical seas is so beautiful and alien it feels like we are visiting other planets.

These pictures below are some that I took during my last diving trip (a couple of months ago) in Donggala area in Central Sulawesi, Indonesia. Sulawesi is the island shaped like the letter "K" in the middle of this Indonesia map. The diving sites I went to is close to the city of Palu in the middle of the Sulawesi island.

Spaghetti Corals:
the name truly describes this corals.

Nudibranch:
Multicolored snea snaill which are only few inches long

Scorpion fish:
the spines of this fish is quite toxic

Stone fish:
a cousin of scorpion fish, but with much more deadly toxic on its spines. Blend with the bcakground. Can you see it?

Hawksbill turtle:
This guy was quite shy, he swam away when I tried to get close.

Orang utan crab:
named because it has "fur" like orang utan. He is netling on transparent bubbles corals.

Cleaner shrimp:
In the movie "finding nemo" he was called "jacques"

Anemone fish:
Popularly known as "clown fish", in the film finding Nemo, he was "nemo" and his dad "marlin"

Cuttle fish:
the master at blending with the background, he was blinking red when I was chasing after him

Another nudibranch:

And these are just really small sample of what I saw down there.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Getoffmyback
05-03-2010, 08:12 AM
Wow nice pictures bro.

Grofica
05-03-2010, 10:53 AM
thats beautiful you should post some more if you have time. its awesome!!!!! i would be too scared though to go chaising after some fish my luck i would would see a giant squid or something and end up missing

((crying)) ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

ardianto
05-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Are those pictures taken in Donggala ?.

Hm, I never realized there are many beautiful sea gardens in our country.

Thanks for sharing, brother.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Asiyah3
05-03-2010, 12:08 PM
They're beautiful masha'llah. Jazakallah for sharing.

Umm.. did you buy a special camera like some water lasting? :hiding:

Beardo
05-03-2010, 12:25 PM
I never realized how beautiful the underwaters can be, SubhanAllah. I love swimming, but in a pool. Not open waters.

ardianto
05-03-2010, 12:56 PM
I hope I can dive or swim in open waters.

When I was kid, I raced in several swimming competitions. In pools, of course.

PouringRain
05-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Beautiful pics! Thanks for sharing them. :)

Ramadhan
05-03-2010, 02:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Are those pictures taken in Donggala ?.

Hm, I never realized there are many beautiful sea gardens in our country.
Yes, they were taken in sulawesi sea in the donggala regency, around an hour drive north from Palu.
Fyi, the top diving site in the world is Raja Ampat, in the Sorong regency of Papua. The area has more concentration of corals and types of fish than any area in the world.
Indonesia is located in the centre of the coral triangle, an area between great barrier reef in queensland, australia, and south phillipines and Palau.

format_quote Originally Posted by _muslim_
Umm.. did you buy a special camera like some water lasting? :hiding:
I use ordinary pocket camera (Canon ixus 980), thats why the quality of the photos are not that great. but I have an underwater plastic casing. Most camera manufacturers also sell underwater casings for their cameras, sometimes they can be as expensive as the cameras themselves :(

ardianto
05-03-2010, 02:30 PM
Maybe the diving itself is not so expensive, but transportation costs to diving area ?. Wow !.

PouringRain
05-03-2010, 02:39 PM
Maybe the diving itself is not so expensive, but transportation costs to diving area ?. Wow !.
Diving itself can be very expensive.

I suppose it is all relative. :) I should say that in my opinion it is expensive.

Ramadhan
05-03-2010, 03:03 PM
All the corals in these pictures are soft corals, meaning they are alive and still growing. Corals can grow endlessly as long as they are still alive (hence the great barrier reef is often considered single organism).

red leaf scorpion fish:
These fish have shape similar to leaf, and they also don't move a lot

white Leaf scorpion fish:

All these corals are soft. Some of them are poisonous (eg. anemone). some fish like clown fish live in anemone corals so they won't get attacked and eaten by other predator fish:

These corals are also soft despite looking like rocks. Home to these orange-bluey fish, which I cannot remember the name:

Angel fish and butterfly fish:

Trumpet fish:

Ramadhan
05-03-2010, 03:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PouringRain
Diving itself can be very expensive.

I suppose it is all relative. :) I should say that in my opinion it is expensive.
Alhamdulillah, my work often gets me to travel near these diving sites in Indonesia, so I normally go diving the weekend before or after work :)
also, the diving trip cost (that is, you pay for the air tank and the suit and buoyancy jacket if you dont have your own, and boat ride) in Indonesia is among the lowest in the world.
It is still not cheap. Around USD 40 per day dive (normally consists of 2 dive trips) and cheaper if you bring your own equipment, but for me it's all worth it. and I only do it once every two months if I get lucky.
In other countries it get more expensive than that.

PouringRain
05-03-2010, 03:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
also, the diving trip cost (that is, you pay for the air tank and the suit and buoyancy jacket if you dont have your own, and boat ride) in Indonesia is among the lowest in the world.
It is still not cheap. Around USD 40 per day dive (normally consists of 2 dive trips) and cheaper if you bring your own equipment, but for me it's all worth it. and I only do it once every two months if I get lucky.
In other countries it get more expensive than that.
That is a good price. I would not call that expensive either. :) Buying your own equipment can be expensive. (This is where you tell me how cheap it is in Indonesia also, right? Hahah)

Woodrow
05-03-2010, 03:50 PM
:sl:

Jazakallahu Khayran for the fantastic pictures. Very beautiful I am now very far from any ocean, I appreciate this reminder of how beautiful the sea creatures are.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!