/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is Luwak Coffee halal or haram ?.

ardianto
05-03-2010, 12:49 PM
:sl:

There is exotic -and expensive- coffee named Luwak Coffee (Indonesia : Kopi Luwak). Actually,this is made from coffee beans that eaten by "luwak", a kind of mongoose. Processed in Luwak stomach, then released through a 'hole under the tail'.

I wonder, is Luwak Coffee halal or haram ?.

There are Ulama who say Luwak Coffee is haram because Luwak Coffee is considered as s**t of animals. And s**t is haram for eaten.

But there are Ulama who say Luwak Coffee is halal, because luwak/mongoose flesh is halal and this is means its s**t is also halal ( :? )

Luwak.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aadil77
05-03-2010, 01:22 PM
ayyyy disgusting lol, how can you drink something thats comes out the back end of an animal?

ardianto
05-03-2010, 02:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
ayyyy disgusting lol, how can you drink something thats comes out the back end of an animal?
Me ?, no !. I never drink Luwak coffee.

I follow Ulama's opinion that say Luwak coffee is haram. Also, this is the most expensive coffee in the world. The good quality Luwak coffee is around US$ 300 per pound.

Luwak coffee in Oprah Winfrey show.

Ramadhan
05-03-2010, 02:36 PM
Luwak coffee (kopi luwak) is the most expensive coffee in the world... by far.
In high end supermarkets in jakarta, you can buy 50 grams for around 200 thousands rupiah (or around 20 USD), but they sell 10x that in north america or europe.
I have tasted it, and the taste is real good, but what's striking is the flavour, which is very unique.

Luwak (civet cats) sometimes cannot fully digest their own food, so they look for ripe coffee beans (often the best coffee beans) to help digest the food they just ate, BUT the beans themselves are NOT digested inside their body. The beans sort of get mildly fermented which only enrich its aroma and flavour. It is then secreted by the luwak (still in beans form, mind you).
People then collect them, clean them out, dry them, and roast them.
Many coffee producers in Indonesia now claim they sell coffee luwak or mixes them in the ordinary coffee, but who knows which ones are the real ones.

to be honest, I think this is the first time I have heard that coffee luwak is considered haram.
Is it by MUI (Indonesian Ulemas body)?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ardianto
05-03-2010, 03:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar

Luwak (civet cats) sometimes cannot fully digest their own food, so they look for ripe coffee beans (often the best coffee beans) to help digest the food they just ate, BUT the beans themselves are NOT digested inside their body.
I begin to understand why people say Luwak coffee is halal. I guess, Ulama who issued fatwa Luwak coffee is haram, actually did not know if the beans themselves are not digested inside the luwak body. They assumed those beans out of the body through the back end. I had a same assumption too.

to be honest, I think this is the first time I have heard that coffee luwak is considered haram.
Is it by MUI (Indonesian Ulemas body)?
Not by MUI but by few Ulama, as personal fatwa. They said, according to Shafi'i madhab, anything that out from live being back end is haram. This is because the questioner told them if Luwak coffee is out from luwak back end. So, this misunderstanding was caused by a misinformation about Luwak coffee.

Thank you very much brother. I think I must try to drink Kopi Luwak.

:)

ardianto
07-20-2010, 02:02 PM
Newest fatwa from MUI : Luwak Coffee is Halal.

Congratulation to brother Naidamar. :D

ziyad
07-20-2010, 02:06 PM
I don't know, but try it out, if your tummy works like hell, I mean it gets you up in the middle of the night, then it's probably HARAAM. If not chances are it's halaal. :haha:

Just Kidding....

ardianto
07-20-2010, 02:17 PM
But Luwak Coffee is not good for my wallet. ;D

Ramadhan
07-21-2010, 04:20 AM
although I am glad with this news, I wished MUI (indonesian Ulema Majlis) focused their attention on much more pressing problems in this country:
degradation of morality, corruption, etc.

syilla
12-28-2011, 07:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ramadhan

I did mean Javanese, not Japanese :)
Javanese population may be similar in number to Japanese population, as javanese are very likely undercounted in population census due to cross-marriages etc. There are 240 millions people living in Indonesia and half of them live in Java.

Are you familiar with Sun Microsystem's Java application?
Well, the name was based on cup of java (europeans and americans familliary refer to coffee as "java" ) as Java exported coffee in 17th century that was liked by europeans and the name stuck since.
However, among coffee connoisseurs today, java coffee is not even the best among Indonesian coffees. The best ones would be Kopi luwak and Toraja coffee and many others before Java coffee.
in malaysia coffee luwak is considered haram by the islamic council.

quoted :

Kopi luwak (Malay pronunciation: [ˈkopi ˈlu.aʔ]), or civet coffee, is one of the world's most expensive and low-production varieties of coffee. It is made from the beans of coffee berries which have been eaten by the Asian Palm Civet (Paradoxurus hermaphroditus) and other related civets, then passed through its digestive tract.[1] A civet eats the berries for their fleshy pulp. In its stomach, proteolytic enzymes seep into the beans, making shorter peptides and more free amino acids. Passing through a civet's intestines the beans are then defecated, keeping their shape. After gathering, thorough washing, sun drying, light roasting and brewing, these beans yield an aromatic coffee with much less bitterness,[citation needed] widely noted as the most expensive coffee in the world with prices reaching $160 per pound.[2]

ardianto
12-28-2011, 07:17 AM
Don't worry brother Ramadhan. Majelis Ulama Indonesia had issue a fatwa, coffee luwak is halal.

:D

syilla
12-28-2011, 07:25 AM
ardianto maybe you can post why there is a difference in fatwa.

my ancestor from my mom side(great grandfather married to malay) is from china mainland a merchant came to do business in this malay land.

and my ancestor from my father's side is from india merchant mainland. (they are the big built size opposite to my mom's side and dark too but not so)

my hubby is ethnic ancestor is bugese / bugis.

ardianto
12-28-2011, 07:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
ardianto maybe you can post why there is a difference in fatwa.
Not every scholar in Indonesia agree that coffee luwak is halal. I read a fatwa from a scholar (I don't remember who is he, but might be Habib Munzir) who mentioned, in Shafi'i madhab, coffee luwak is haram.

:)

syilla
12-28-2011, 07:57 AM
yes true madhab shafie is very strict regarding impurity.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!