/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Forbidding Mother's Day?

Samiun
05-06-2010, 11:05 AM
:sl: How are you all today?

Is there any other solution besides the one I think of that can be used to forbid mother's day for Muslims? Since I have no Shaykh or whatsoever, people look down on what I have to say(ie my muslim brothers). So far, I got this:

The history of Mother's Day is centuries old and goes back to the times of ancient Greeks, who held festivities to honor Rhea, the mother of the gods. The early Christians celebrated the Mother's festival on the fourth Sunday of Lent to honor Mary, the mother of Christ. Interestingly, later on a religious order stretched the holiday to include all mothers, and named it as the Mothering Sunday. The English colonists settled in America discontinued the tradition of Mothering Sunday because of lack of time. In 1872 Julia Ward Howe organized a day for mothers dedicated to peace. It is a landmark in the history of Mother's Day.
No I am not planning to use a hadeeth from the internet because most likely a brother/sister will say,"Oh it's from the internet, this kid is an idiot. Doesn't he know that the internet is full of inadequate and misleading contents? Who is he to tell us?"

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told us that his ummah would follow the previous nations, the Jews, Christians and Persians, but this was undoubtedly not praise for their actions, rather it is by way of condemnation and a warning. It was narrated from Abu Sa’eed (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “You will certainly follow the ways of those who came before you, handspan by handspan, cubit by cubit, until even if they entered the hole of a lizard, you will do so too.” We asked, “O Messenger of Allaah, (do you mean) the Jews and the Christians?” He said, “Who else?” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3269; Muslim, 2669).

It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The Hour will not begin until my ummah follows in the footsteps of those who came before it, handspan by handspan, cubit by cubit.” It was asked, “O Messenger of Allaah, like the Persians and Romans?” He said, “Those are the people?”
If any brother or sister that know of these hadeeth in Tafseer Al-Qurtubi, please give a reply. It could lend me a hand to explain to those who reject any hadeeth from the internet. Inshallah, I could save my them from practicing this belief

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
05-06-2010, 02:06 PM
:sl: little brother.

Muslims do not need to make one day in a year as mother's day, because for Muslims, everyday is a mother's day.

Ask your ustadz, how many ayaah and hadith that ordered Muslims to honor, respect and love their mothers. Everyday, every time.

Samiun
05-06-2010, 04:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
:sl: little brother.

Muslims do not need to make one day in a year as mother's day, because for Muslims, everyday is a mother's day.

Ask your ustadz, how many ayaah and hadith that ordered Muslims to honor, respect and love their mothers. Everyday, every time.
:wa: glad to hear that, but muslims are still doing it today. I do not know why I never see a single ulama or uztaz speak up in the media to clarify about the ruling on these type of celebration in Islam. To tell you the truth, I did follow this tradition before I googled_islam.

islamirama
05-06-2010, 08:27 PM
:wa:

http://islamqa.com/en/ref/59905

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!