/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Message from our brother Tarek Mehanna (Abu Sabaayaa)

Ummu Sufyaan
05-07-2010, 10:44 AM
:sl:
there was a thread about this brother, but i cant find it.

Inshallah this thread is to keep us updated on his condition.

please feel free to add, as i may forget...and also feel free dedicate threads to post about other prisoners.

there are other of his letters/poems/updates that you can read here inshallah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Danah
05-07-2010, 12:57 PM
May Allah help all our brothers and sisters who are oppressed in the whole world. May Allah release them soon and reward them for their patience

- Qatada -
05-08-2010, 07:55 AM
:salamext:

jazakillah khayr. we got a new project where we interview him with questions from members, and he replies to the questions in his letters.. its going to be good insha' Allah.

also see;

http://freetarek.com

Ummu Sufyaan
05-09-2010, 10:39 AM

(From his brother Tamer). First off, and ironically the one that will receive the least attention, is the fact that Tariq's bail was denied yesterday. Tariq's reaction at this? Completely calm, composed acceptance of Allah's will. I don't know how he does it, but he did it better than I managed to, sub7anAllah. It is that much sadder, that much more frustrating, and more despicable of the FBI because of how confident Tariq was that he would be released on bail. But apparently the barking of the dogs, the "Fabricators, Bullies, and Instigators" or whatever the FBI stands for these days, was loud enough to intimidate the judge. Well, it's time to show them how loud wolves can howl then.

Tariq's bail denial means that he will be in prison for a period most likely lasting throughout the course of the trial, which is several years. I want to make it very clear to everybody that WE WILL NOT FALTER IN THE SLIGHTEST... what, just because Tariq's bail was denied? It will take much more than that to even begin to dent MY determination to rescue Tariq from this mess that the FBI has thrown him into,

Again, I will repeat that the last thing that should be on any of our minds here is to falter. For me, this type of development only inspires the opposite. Just as the boa constrictor wraps around its victim even more tightly the more that its victim struggles, so too does my determination to defeat this injustice and persecution only grow stronger the greater its effort to overwhelm us. I am not alone in this mentality; there are many people from this support group who did not call me to grieve with my family, but rather to express their determination to me that all this means is we will try even harder....and harder.....and harder....and yes, harder to do what it takes to free Tariq, and those others in his position.

Please make no mistake of the opportunity this presents for all of us. I was thinking about Tariq's letter earlier today, and about how he was talking about the need for the believer to come closer to God even in those times when he has already been relieved of the stresses of this life. The act of showing our faith in God should not be a short-term emergency solution, but rather a long-term commitment, because that long-term approach represents the construction of a more stable infrastructure for our faith and our relationship with a very real God whose power manifests in this physical world as well as all other worlds.

Your proof of that is right here: we can follow one of two paths in our support, and please listen closely to this because this is the part where you decide what kind of role you wish to play in our effort.

One approach is to follow that short-sighted, reactive path where we only participate in supporting such oppressed people at times when these major events pop up. In this path, we only ask "how can we help?" Those who take this path will participate when there are active events, i.e. when everybody else is participating too.

Please recognize that the greatest weapon of the oppressors is not to attack our cause, such as by denying Tariq bail. When the FBI makes this happen, it is not a sign of their strength, it is a sign of their weakness! It is a sign that we are doing things the right way, and that they feel injured and threatened and have to take such measures to limit our success in freeing Tariq! No, the real weapon of our enemies here is COMPLACENCY. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT, so do not forget this! The real weapon and the most effective one against us is to wait out the controversy, to wait until enthusiasm for supporting the issue dies down. Because the people that followed the short-term, reactive path mentioned above represent the majority of the community right now. Remember before I said our community was fragmented? That is the result of the fragmentation, because instead of auto-mobilizing, instead of moving themselves, people must be mobilized to show support for others. This is not normal, it is a pathological state of being that is a direct product of detachment and isolation from one another. But look at where we are now, because we have many people focused on this, even many people reading these same words that you are just now reading. This is a chance to change all of this, to change it for the better. This is a path to take the other path.

The other path is to take the long-term committed road. To stop sweeping stuff under the carpet and to start cleaning house. Because we can keep on patching things up whenever controversy arises, we can keep on showing our support right when EVERYBODY else is showing support, and thinking that we're doing our service, doing our part. But do not be fooled, because that is not the solution we need right now. That is only one small component, and it is the one that makes us feel good about ourselves without solving the greater issue that faces us.

The right path for us to take is the long-term committed approach, one that is proactive, where we do not only ask "how can we help?" but we find new ways to help, we take the initiative and do things to contribute to the cause of justice and human rights. Not only that, but where we continuously work with one another and check up on one another to gradually develop that infrastructure, to erect that apparatus of community support that eventually graduates to the level of a social institution. These institutions, when free of pathologically-induced dysfunctions, through the behaviors and habits that breath life into them, are self-sustaining and are what will make our communities grow strong.

Just to be clear, I'm not asking anybody here to take a step alone. I am telling you that if you take that step to become actively invested in this effort, you can look to the left and right of you and you will see a hundred people, a thousand people taking that same step. The next step you take, you will see even more people around you. It is time for us to shake off fear and complacency, and to stop being static in our lives. We ridicule others for being ignorant of the truth, and for continuously behaving on this ignorance. Well we are even more worthy of ridicule if we KNOW the truth and we FAIL to CONTINUOUSLY act on it. So let us behave as those who are truly alive, and let us support the causes that deserve our support. Because life is not just about working the grind and waiting for the next paycheck. Life is about taking the actions that we should be taking. That said, I would like to remind you that this is about all of us, so let us continue to support each other in the right way, and not let meaning less setbacks like this hold us back.

Thank you for reading this, and I will have further updates for you soon, inshaAllah.

Your brother in Islam and in life,
-Tamer Mehanna

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ummu Sufyaan
05-10-2010, 10:45 AM
"Mercy & Patience" Tarek's New Art Work

S_87
05-10-2010, 12:27 PM
may Allah hasten the release of our brother Tarek and all those like Him! Ameen

Ummu Sufyaan
06-19-2010, 12:33 PM
Federal prosecutors added another terrorism charge yesterday against a Sudbury man and a former Mansfield man who allegedly traveled to Yemen in a failed attempt to join a terrorist camp and then plotted to shoot shoppers at a suburban mall before scrapping the plan.

Tarek Mehanna, 27, of Sudbury, and Ahmad Abousamra, 28, who lived in Mansfield but is believed to be in Syria, were each charged in a new indictment with one count of conspiring to provide material support to a designated foreign terrorist organization, namely Al Qaeda, according to US Attorney Carmen M. Ortiz.

The two had previously been charged in a 10-count indictment with providing and conspiring to provide material support to terrorists, conspiracy to kill in a foreign country, conspiracy to provide false information to law enforcement officials, and several counts of providing false statements to law enforcement.

Although the new charge mentions support of a designated foreign terrorist organization, prosecutors had previously alleged that the men had sought to aid Al Qaeda since 2001.

Mehanna, a 2008 graduate of the Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, was arrested Oct. 21 and has been held since then.

His Boston lawyer, J.W. Carney Jr., was not available for comment yesterday.

Prosecutors allege that Mehanna and his friend Abousamra traveled to Yemen and tried to join a terrorist training camp but were rejected. The two then plotted to shoot shoppers, but abandoned the plan because they could not get automatic weapons, prosecutors allege.

They are also accused, but not charged, with plotting to kill two unidentified government officials.

If convicted of material support charges, the most serious offenses, each man faces up to 15 years in prison.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...orism_charges/

Ummu Sufyaan
07-17-2010, 10:46 AM
i have not at all been giving this thread its proper right of updating it.

anyway,

Hey everybody, Tarek's hearing has finally been scheduled!! The date and time as follows:

Tuesday, July 20th, @ 3:00pm, in Courthouse #9

Moakley Federal Courthouse
1 Courthouse Way
Boston, MA

Please tell as many people as you can, and try to show up as early as possible (i.e. earlier than 3 if possible)!! The earlier we show up, the better the likelihood that people who care about Tarek will find seats in the courtroom, instead of those seats being filled by reporters!

This is your opportunity to show your support for and belief in Tarek's innocence. All we need people to do is to show up, we are not asking for more than that. Don't underestimate how much difference your presence can make, every body counts!

Please tell all of your friends, let's make this a big strong turnout just like the last time. Thanks everybody so much, my family loves all of you.

- Tamer Mehanna

A point to note for those attending:

Remember, they will not let you into the courthouse without 2 forms of ID (at least 1 photo ID and something else with your name on it, i.e. creditcard, etc) and no electronics will be allowed in including cell phones and cameras!
taken from here

Ummu Sufyaan
07-20-2010, 02:09 AM
*bump.

dont forget the brother in your duas.

~Raindrop~
07-20-2010, 02:13 AM
May Allah SWT free him and those like him from the hands of the oppressive Kuffaar and fill his Dunya and Akhirah with His Mercy.
Ameen.

JoeMemory
07-21-2010, 08:18 AM
Nice massage!! Good work!!

Ummu Sufyaan
07-21-2010, 08:37 AM
here is an update...

another whole year. its seems like its going around in circles.

Ummu Sufyaan
07-28-2010, 11:10 AM

this is a few days old (22 July 2010)

Statement from Tariq's Family

Let us begin by thanking all of you for your continued support for Tarek and your concern over the injustices that the government has perpetrated against him. I would like to announce that, with respects to the goals we laid out for this hearing, July 20th was a great success for Tarek and his supporters!

Among the goals that we had, an important one was to ensure that supporters were able to fill the courtroom. At the last hearing, we failed to anticipate a dirty tactic where the available seats were filled early on by reporters and FBI agents, so that when Tarek entered he only saw a handful of familiar faces. This time, we had a much larger room to fill (20 benches compared to only 8 or so), and when Tarek walked in, 19 out of those 20 were filled with supporters. The 20th bench was reserved for 3 FBI agents, and you can imagine how shocked they were to find themselves surrounded by a sea of our supporters! When Tarek walked in and saw all of the people who had come to see him and lend their support, an ear-to-ear smile came across his face. It was a beautiful thing to see!

There were roughly 150 people in the courtroom during the hearing. Another 40 or so waited in the hall outside the room. Another 30—50 people waited outside the entrance to the courthouse, executing a rally consisting of carefully designed signs and banners, and chanting “Free Tarek!” The media was present, and supporters were free to make statements to them, although myself and my parents declined to do so, on the legal team’s request. In total, roughly 300 people were involved in our overall effort—50% more than in the previous hearing. We are steadily gaining momentum, and our presence is growing stronger.

During the hearing, Tarek’s body language and his voice both showed very clearly that he still has very strong spirit. He was not at all hunched over or weak-like. His attitude was definitively one of confidence and resolve, and this could not be missed when he plead “NOT GUILTY” to the new charge that was brought against him some weeks earlier. For the sake of clarification, this hearing was a second indictment hearing due to the superseding charge that was announced weeks ago. It is called ‘superseding’ because it was based on an already existing charge against Tarek, one which was basically reworded into a more specific false accusation against him. With respects to how we organize and coordinate his defense, it makes no difference, however. It just replaces the previous wording of the same charge (as opposed to being an additional charge on top of the others).

Another important change is that the previous magistrate has been replaced now by Judge O’Toole. O’Toole appears to be a far more experienced, competent, and confident judge than the previous magistrate. According to Jay Carney Jr., Tarek’s attorney, O’Toole is also a very fair individual, and it is to our benefit that he was the randomly selected official taking over Tarek’s case.

We are currently still in the ‘pre-trial’ stage of Tarek’s case. Each case has 2 phases—the ‘pre-trial’ and the actual trial itself. During the hearing, the date of Tarek’s trial was decided as October 3rd, 2011. However, there is a lot that will happen between now and then. While it is possible that Tarek might be let out on bail, there are certain things that his attorneys have to see to before we can have a better idea.

In the coming months, we have plans in place to become much more aggressive in reaching out to the American public, through allies and affiliates who are in positions of influence. Americans must know that this is an issue of the First Amendment, not a terror case! We encourage those who are confused to investigate the fact that despite the news media frenzy stories about a plan to shoot people at shopping malls, the formal charges against Tarek as addressed in the court’s affidavit fail to address any such rumors. More than simply puzzling, this reflects the effort of the FBI and its media allies to play on the ignorance of the public by spreading lies that they hope the public will not look into more deeply.

In addition, we have built strong bridges with the Islamic community in Worcester, where there are hundreds of people who have consistently expressed a desire to be given a more active role in defending Tarek and supporting him through our public efforts. Ramadan will be a very busy time, and we have many events planned in advance. It is long over-due for us to enlist Muslims in our effort. I would remind everybody that these efforts are to the benefit of both Muslims and Americans. It is both our duty and in our best interests as Muslims to support one of our own when he is unjustly accused; the reputation of the individual member reflects on that of the entire group. Likewise, for those of us who are American citizens, it is our duty and our right to observe the rights and liberties of our fellow citizens. The dignity and reputation of this nation have been hijacked. Whether Muslim, American, or otherwise, it is in our best interests to strive to restore justice for those to whom it has been ruthlessly and unethically denied. My family and I thank you all for your support, and the Defense Committee urges you all to continue taking as active a role as possible in making progress towards this goal. Free Tarek, and all those who share his experience!

Source

Ummu Sufyaan
02-17-2011, 08:02 AM

A bail hearing has been scheduled for Dr. Tarek Mehanna who has been unjustly imprisoned under 23-hour solitary confinement for 15 months after refusing to be an FBI informant against his community. Dr. Mehanna is a well respected, loved and outspoken member of his community who has spent his time as a scholar, friend, teacher and leader.

Dr. Mehanna and his family have requested that you come to the courthouse on the day of the hearing to express your support and belief in his innocence. We ask that you help us to show the Judge why Dr. Mehanna should be released on bail. THIS HEARING IS THE MOST CRUCIAL ONE YET: this will be the first opportunity for Tarek's lawyers to make a strong case for Tarek's right to have bail set and be home with his family pending trial.

The date and time as follows:

Wednesday, February 23rd at 3pm
Moakley Federal Courthouse
1 Courthouse Way
Boston, MA

Please spread the word to others and show up as early as possible!! Because the hearing starts at 3, it is best to be there well before then.

This is a big opportunity for you to show your support for this man who has served his community and defended justice. It is crucial that we have as many supporters as possible show up to court. This is a real chance for Dr. Mehanna to be released on bail and we cannot stress enough how much your presence is needed!

A rally outside the courthouse will follow the hearing regardless of the outcome. We ask that you join us for the rally.

Let's make this a strong turnout! We have to show Dr. Mehanna, his family, the judge, the press and everyone else how much love and support he has! We want Dr. Mehanna back in our community where he belongs.

Thank you all for your support on behalf of Dr. Mehanna, his family, and the support committee.

*Reminder: Be prepared for the possibility that the government will change the date last minute. Remember to bring 2 forms of ID (at least one photo ID) and that no cell phones or another electronics will be allowed into the court. We also ask that you dress appropriately for the courtroom.*

http://www.freetarek.com/

Keep him in your duas

S_87
02-17-2011, 08:23 PM
InshaAllah all will go well for Brother Tarek may Allah give him the good in this world and the hereafter.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!