/* */

PDA

View Full Version : anyone here suffer from OCD??

bluebell
05-07-2010, 06:48 PM
salams,

does anyone in this forum suffer from OCD?? or knows anyone who does?

it would be nice if am not the only one who does, and someone can share their experiences with me, it'l be a relief.

Thanks.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ummu Sufyaan
05-08-2010, 04:26 AM
:sl:
i know people who do/have. what do you want to know exactly? and in which regards is your OCD?

sophie22
05-08-2010, 10:24 AM
i do. i have been living with this ever since i was 12/13 (i cant remember when it exactly started).

no your not alone

Seeker1066
05-10-2010, 02:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by bluebell
salams,

does anyone in this forum suffer from OCD?? or knows anyone who does?

it would be nice if am not the only one who does, and someone can share their experiences with me, it'l be a relief.

Thanks.
Hello Bluebell,

I have OCD. Been living with it many years. Wasn't diagnosed until in my thirties after my Mother died of Cancer. Had a major breakdown. Since than I have been taking medications and must say that life is happy. So you're not alone by a long shot.

Peace to all

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
cat eyes
05-12-2010, 01:47 PM
i don't suffer from ocd but my brother suffers from it and a load of other things. hes been in and out of hospital for past 10years with depression since the death of my own mother from cancer but we don't know what triggered the ocd off. this seems to be a new thing with him these past 3years and its getting worse too

Seeker1066
05-13-2010, 03:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
i don't suffer from ocd but my brother suffers from it and a load of other things. hes been in and out of hospital for past 10years with depression since the death of my own mother from cancer but we don't know what triggered the ocd off. this seems to be a new thing with him these past 3years and its getting worse too
I pray that your Brother finds Peace and stability. It can take a while and might require both medication and counseling but he should never lose faith nor hope. Tell him I am thinking of him and I will raise him up to God and ask his blessing.

Peace to all

cat eyes
05-13-2010, 12:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Seeker1066
I pray that your Brother finds Peace and stability. It can take a while and might require both medication and counseling but he should never lose faith nor hope. Tell him I am thinking of him and I will raise him up to God and ask his blessing.

Peace to all
Thank you seeker1066 and i hope you get better too inshaAllah

Beardo
05-13-2010, 12:51 PM
What exactly is OCD? Is it when you do things a repeated amount of times?

cat eyes
05-13-2010, 12:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
What exactly is OCD? Is it when you do things a repeated amount of times?
http://www.ocfoundation.org/whatisoc...FRg-lAodWGVMJA

Beardo
05-13-2010, 01:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
That's so sad. imsad

Seeker1066
05-14-2010, 03:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
That's so sad. imsad
Don't fear there is so much hope these days. My Psychiatrist when I was first diagnosed used to be Brain surgeon. He became a Psychiatrist after seeing so many with head trauma who did not have mental illness develop it as a result of the crash and a few who had it prior to the brain injury became cured. When I was born in the 1960's he used to go into Canada and smuggle back a drug to treat OCD here in the states as we had none approved. 42 years later there are well over ten different drugs that can treat OCD including the first which I take by the way.

Neurotransmitters and Serotonin
Modern theories indicate an abnormality in the neurochemistry of OCD patients, linked to a chemical called serotonin. This “neurotransmitter” carries nerve impulses through the brain from neurons to receptor cells. OCD sufferers may have blocked or damaged receptor sites in the brain, preventing serotonin working correctly. Indeed many OCD patients benefit from the use of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) - medications increasing serotonin availability.

Read more at Suite101: A Brief History of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: From Melancholia to Neurochemistry http://obsessive-compulsive-disorder...#ixzz0ns9KihFs

Woodrow
05-14-2010, 04:08 AM
Just my own impression. I have known a number of sufferers from it. I view it more as a symptom and personally classify it as a syndrome rather than as a disorder. The most common causes are head injuries and depression. The treatment of choice needs tol be determined by the cause. A very common problem that is too often overlooked as it seems few recognize the seriousness.

Dagless
05-14-2010, 04:10 AM
I pray everyone is cured of this type of illness (and all illness/suffering). I always think that though life is made to be tested in, this type of illness must be one of the worst experiences because it is the core of you which suffers.

Myself
05-14-2010, 02:20 PM
i thought an ocd patient is always obsessed with something. to the extent that they'll make sure they get/have it whatsoever. that's a wrong theory?

Woodrow
05-14-2010, 03:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Myself
i thought an ocd patient is always obsessed with something. to the extent that they'll make sure they get/have it whatsoever. that's a wrong theory?
That is Obsessive Compulsive Behavior. It does not necessarily mean the person suffers from OCD. OCD is usually characterized by a repetitive unnecessary action preceded by a needed action. A good example is the person who sees the need for washing their hands after using the bath room, but when they start washing their hands they can not stop and need to keep returning and rewashing their hands because they can not be certain they washed their hands or if they washed them sufficiently.

Seeker1066
05-15-2010, 03:25 AM
OCD can be Obsessions, compulsions or both. The hand washer has both an obsession with germs and the compulsion to wash to eliminate his fear of the Germs. I personly only have the Obsessions. back before treatment they manifested in unwanted thoughts that I could not get out of my head. Note not voices like a psychosis but common for me would be guilt over a past wrong that would repeatedly present itself to my attention. Depression would set in as I would suffer self-esteem damage from my "perpetual awareness of my transgressions.

Myself
05-15-2010, 04:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
That is Obsessive Compulsive Behavior. It does not necessarily mean the person suffers from OCD. OCD is usually characterized by a repetitive unnecessary action preceded by a needed action. A good example is the person who sees the need for washing their hands after using the bath room, but when they start washing their hands they can not stop and need to keep returning and rewashing their hands because they can not be certain they washed their hands or if they washed them sufficiently.
i see. so what's the biggest difference between ocd and obsessive compulsive behavior?

Woodrow
05-15-2010, 05:30 AM
i see. so what's the biggest difference between ocd and obsessive compulsive behavior?
The cause. Obsessive Compulsive Behavior is most often a learned behavior, or habit, not associated with a disease, injury or other extraneous cause.

Myself
05-15-2010, 02:27 PM
^ all clear now. :)

bluebell
05-15-2010, 08:14 PM
salams,

thanks for all your replys:statisfie

erm....i suffer more frm obsessions than from compulsions,

it is really hard living with this mental illness, living with excessive fear, worrying that terrible things will happen to me if am not perfect, or do things right!! i know i shouldnt really care, but i cant help to stop these intrusive thoughts

all this kills me..i feel like dying, it constantly causes depression!

i have had CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy), in the begining it worked really well, (it got to the point where i felt really emty from inside cos i no longer ha these thoughts) over time my obsessions started to kick in, now am back to my old self who constantly worries over small things!!

i feel like a looser, i quit my job, its going to be hard to find a new job now:exhausted

are there any muslim psychotherapist around? who can help, or could combine treatment with an islamic method.of curing this illness?

thanks all, i think this forum is great!! u guys are all my best friends!:statisfie.

Seeker1066
05-16-2010, 01:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by bluebell
salams,

thanks for all your replys:statisfie

erm....i suffer more frm obsessions than from compulsions,

it is really hard living with this mental illness, living with excessive fear, worrying that terrible things will happen to me if am not perfect, or do things right!! i know i shouldnt really care, but i cant help to stop these intrusive thoughts

all this kills me..i feel like dying, it constantly causes depression!

i have had CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy), in the begining it worked really well, (it got to the point where i felt really emty from inside cos i no longer ha these thoughts) over time my obsessions started to kick in, now am back to my old self who constantly worries over small things!!

i feel like a looser, i quit my job, its going to be hard to find a new job now:exhausted

are there any muslim psychotherapist around? who can help, or could combine treatment with an islamic method.of curing this illness?

thanks all, i think this forum is great!! u guys are all my best friends!:statisfie.
Have you seen a Psychiatrist??? Medication is the best treatment for OCD. Don't forget Mental Illness is no different than Diabetes or any other illness. Keep faith there is hope. Allah will comfort you.

Peace to You

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!