/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Intentions

usmanlol
05-08-2010, 07:06 PM
:sl:

I know this may sound like a funny question, but I'm serious about this.

From my understanding of Islam you are not necessarily judged by the deeds you do, but rather, the intention you have. I think it was Al Bukhari who says 'Verily, we are judged by our intentions'(?)

So my question is, if you knowingly sin but have the intention to be a good muslim when your older does it account for anything? Or is it not acceptable? If not, why not? Because surely intentions is a main factor about what you'll be judged on

Thanks in advance.

:wa:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
marwen
05-08-2010, 10:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by usmanlol
:sl:
... if you knowingly sin but have the intention to be a good muslim when your older does it account for anything? Or is it not acceptable?
In that case, the act is wrong (sin) , and the intention is wrong.
The intention is wrong because: First, because it pushes you to do a sin, whatever this intention contains else (future repentance, etc..). Second, because you're not sure you'll have the time to be a good muslim after the sin, what if you die just after the sin or in the middle of the sin, or just after you made this wrong intention => you'll be punished.
So what we can say is this type of intention is invalid in islam, it is rather a "chubha" (something that looks like it's correct, but actually it's wrong or, at least, doubtful)
Wallahu Aalam.

Sawdah
05-09-2010, 02:03 AM
On the authority of Ibn Abbas (may Allah be pleased with them both), from the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him), among the sayings he related from his Lord (glorified and exalted be He) is that He said:

“Allah has written down the good deeds and the bad ones.” Then He explained it [by saying that] “he who has intended a good deed and has not done it, Allah writes it down with Himself as a full good deed, but if he has intended it and has done it, Allah writes it down with Himself as from ten good deeds to seven hundred times, or many times over. But if he has intended a bad deed and has not done it, Allah writes it down with Himself as a full good deed, but if he has intended it and has done it, Allah writes it down as one bad deed.”

[Bukhari and Muslim.]

http://guidedways.com/qudsihadith.php?hadith=16

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!