/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Clegg meets Cameron for private talks on power deal

Supreme
05-08-2010, 09:41 PM
Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg has met Conservative leader David Cameron for talks over the possibility of their parties forming a new government.

A Conservative Party spokeswoman said the private 70-minute talks were "constructive and amicable".

The Tories won most election votes and MPs but are short of a majority.

In an e-mail message to supporters, Mr Cameron said he would not be "rushed into any agreement" but may be able to give "ground" in some areas.

Gordon Brown remains prime minister and has offered the Lib Dems talks if no deal is reached with the Conservatives.

BBC political editor Nick Robinson said the talks between Mr Cameron and Mr Clegg at Admiralty House in Westminster followed an earlier brief conversation at the VE day commemoration event in London.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politi...10/8670443.stm

Nooo! Why, Nick Clegg, why? Why can't you try to form a coalition with Labour and minor parties? Don't resolve to the Tories! Their policies on Europe, immigration and political reform are inferior!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Blackpool
05-10-2010, 12:20 AM
Out of the 3 parties I would support the Tories. I love their stance on immigration and Europe. Well done Clegg. We voted the Tories so they should be put in power!

nocturnal
05-10-2010, 01:04 AM
Blackpool, don't assume to speak on behalf of everyone else. Alot of people did NOT vote Tory and that is why they failed to garner the required 326 parliamentary seats to secure an outright majority. I would much prefer it if Nick Clegg came to some agreement with Labour. The Tories, with their immigration and Europe policies are essentially playing the role of a rank demagogue rousing up the masses and indulging their misplaced diagnoses on what's wrong in the UK by contributing shamelessly to a growing xenophobic culture. They ought to be ashamed of that. This country prospers by cooperating with Europe; enacting policies that undermine that association would be to imperil the economic recovery and sustainability of Britain's long term interests which are solidly rooted in Europe.

Trumble
05-10-2010, 06:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Blackpool
We voted the Tories so they should be put in power!
Considerably more voted against the Tories than for them. Anyway, 'put in power' by who? Are you suggesting some sort of coup?!

The simple fact is that ours is a Parliamentary democracy. That means that whoever holds the offices of state can't do diddly unless Parliament votes in favour of what they want to do, and being woefully short of a majority the Conservatives would never get any legislation passed, or at least any the other parties didn't agree with - they wouldn't last three months.

A Tory/Liberal deal, much as it pains me to say it, seems the only way to get any sort of stability in view of the numbers of MPs. Actually, its all working out very nicely now. With Gordon out the way, Labour can appoint David Milliband as leader and sit back quietly 'opposing' for a year or so. Meanwhile the LibDems will get the referendum on electoral reform the BBC is now saying the Tories have promised them, that will go through whereupon they pull the plug pronto and Cameron has to call another election under the new rules. Whereupon far more Labour/LibDems are elected than Tories, form a coalition, and it's bye-bye Conservatives for the next fifty years or so. ;D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Skavau
05-10-2010, 06:32 PM
Of course, if the Liberal Democrats form a coalition under the guise of getting proportional representation and then immediately pull the plug as soon as, they could come off as very opportunistic by the public and lose support over it. Which would spill over to Labour.

Blackpool
05-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Do you guys not see some sort of threat now that Gordon Brown has resigned? David Milliband will take over without a doubt but I thought Zionism is a threat to muslims? Apparently, David Milliband is a supporter for war against Iran and let me copy and paste some facts about him from wikipedia...

David Miliband is the elder son of JEWISH immigrants Marion Kozak, from Poland, and the late Marxist intellectual Ralph Miliband, who fled Belgium during World War II. He has said "I am the child of Jewish immigrants and that is a very important part of my identity." Both his Polish Jewish paternal grandparents lived in the Jewish quarter of Warsaw. His paternal grandfather, Samuel, a trained leather worker, fought for the Red Army in the Polish–Soviet War of 1919-1921 before moving to Belgium.
Hitler’s invasion of Belgium in May 1940 as part of the Nazis’ Western Offensive split the Miliband family in half: Ralph and father Samuel fled to England, while Ralph's mother Renée and baby sister Nan stayed behind for the duration of the war. They were not reunited until 1950.
During his visit in Poland in June 2009, Miliband visited his family tomb in the Jewish Cemetery in Warsaw. He also stated, that he is 'one of the million Britons who have Polish blood'.

Trumble
05-10-2010, 07:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Blackpool
Do you guys not see some sort of threat now that Gordon Brown has resigned?
No. I have seen nothing anywhere that suggests Milliband is a "supporter for war against Iran".. your source? And what's your point in the bio? So he considers his parents origins a 'very important' part of his identity; that's true of most people.

nocturnal
05-10-2010, 07:41 PM
Gordon Brown has announced his intention to step down and pave the way for a Labour leadership election. Personally, i would prefer the new leader to be Ed Balls. I think he is smart, astute thoroughly New Labour has impeccable Social Democratic credentials.

I think David Milliband's bullish and patronising attitude in the sphere of not just foreign affairs, but also domestic issues has left me disillusioned with him. He sidles up next to US diplomats and apes their inane belligerency without thinking what is just, equitable and in the interests not just of the UK, but those persecuted elsewhere in the world too.

nocturnal
05-10-2010, 08:00 PM
Trumble, it's nothing to do with his identity. It's the manner in which he handles delicate international matters, especially Iran. His own bellicosity and that of the French and the Americans does not help in any way in diffusing a very sensitive international issue. A very important case in point is when the Russian military went into South Ossetia and vanquished the Georgian military; Milliband, in his capacity as Foreign Secretary, contributed numerous op-eds denouncing the Russians without knowing what the true, unvarnished situation was, a matter that was clarified by the UN itself. The same applies to his position on the Israeli-Palestinian issue, he is grotesquely disproportionate in his denunciation of 'terrorism' when he rounds on Hamas time and again, despite the unarguable facts of near daily Israeli incursions, a crippling embargo, expanding settlements, indiscriminate massacres committed in Gaza, an unending occupation and various other atrocities with respect to that conflict. To have such a divisive and belligerent individual as Prime Minister of the UK harks back to the Blair era and the catastrophic implications that had for all of us.

aadil77
05-10-2010, 08:14 PM
Ed Balls is a load of balls

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-10-2010, 08:16 PM
Indeed cledd meets cameron ..Indeed! hope they suceeed :), unless theres no benefit in whatso ever theyre doing..

so yeah

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-10-2010, 08:17 PM
^Soz meant Clegg..forgotten his or her name Indeed

so yeah

aadil77
05-10-2010, 08:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim World 12
^Soz meant Clegg..forgotten his or her name Indeed

so yeah
Indeed you must have had too many fizzy drinks today,

does the 12 in your username stand for 12yrs old!?

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-10-2010, 08:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
Indeed you must have had too many fizzy drinks today,

does the 12 in your username stand for 12yrs old!?
I had A fizzy drink, not drink`S......

lol no the 12 doesnt mean 12 years old ****Angry face****.....

Its just me when i am either in a happy or happy mood InshaAllaah i tend to say loadsa random things..
InshaAllaah i was being serious in all of my posts, and hope non harm no one in any way....

So yeah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!