/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Aussie Senator calls for burqa ban after robbery

islamirama
05-09-2010, 11:00 PM
Senator calls for burqa ban after robbery

By ninemsn staff - May 7 2010

A Liberal senator has sparked outrage and debate after he called for a ban on wearing the burqa in public, saying it is "un-Australian".

South Australian senator Cory Bernardi yesterday wrote a post on his personal blog saying the veil was "emerging as the preferred disguise of bandits and n'er do wells".

It followed reports that a gunman wearing a full black burqa and sunglasses had robbed a Sydney store yesterday.

Senator Bernardi also said he believed the burqa stopped women from integrating into Australian society "The burqa isolates some Australians from others," he wrote.

"It is un-Australian — and its symbolic barrier is far greater than the measure of cloth it is created from.

"For safety and for society, the burqa needs to be banned."

In reaction to the comments, Opposition Leader Tony Abbott said the ban was not Coalition policy despite there being "understandable concern in the community" about the burqa.

The burqa was recently outlawed in public in Belgium, amid similar movements in France — where President Nicolas Sarkozy wants it banned.

Islamic Friendship Association's Keysar Trad told the Daily Telegraph he believed Senator Bernardi's call was a political stunt.

"It's tantamount to denying them the right to drive, the right to enjoy all the services of society as well as equal opportunity," Mr Trad said.

But counter-terrorism and aviation security consultant Roger Henning said anything which prevented identification posed "a massive risk" to public safety. "People have used burqas to escape prison, for bank robberies and terrorists carrying explosive devices are sometimes disguised as women," Mr Henning said.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/1049472/senator-calls-for-burqa-ban-after-robbery
comment:

Every failure that can't do anything on his own tries to gain fame by attacking Islam/Muslims.

These bigots try to use the excuse that these niqabis don't integrate into the society; what integration?! They are saying it as if everyone is friendly and talks to every person they meet on the street as if it were a tiny town where everyone knows you from childhood. In these western societies, people don't even know (or speak to) their neighbors let alone some stranger on the street!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ummu Sufyaan
05-10-2010, 04:45 AM
it must be my fate to constantly run into/hear about stupid people.

Beardo
05-10-2010, 04:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummu Sufyaan
it must be my fate to constantly run into/hear about stupid people.
Dude, the other day I was watching this clip of this guy named Bill Maher. This idiot says he thinks Islam does not mean peace etc blah blah. Honestly, I hate generalization. It's just so wrong and unfair.

Though, I am very grateful for those who know the truth that Muslims really are peaceful. Behind our modest garments are humble, dignified, and gentle folks. Our clothing isn't meant to be a physical barrier against people. Which is why I always say, as Muslims, it is even more important for us to be extra cautious in our words and actions. We should go out of our way to help and assist others to bring back our good reputation. We must show our true colors.

Supreme
05-10-2010, 03:42 PM
I think that, because the Burqa is so unpopular on the planet, we should just have one thread listing all the countries where it may be/is banned. There are just too many threads with regard to this.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Pygoscelis
05-11-2010, 03:12 AM
It should be treated for what it is, a mask. With no special treatment and no special ban. If people wearing masks in public leads to mischief and crime in Australia then I can get behind a ban on face masks there, but just don't phrase it as the burka. There is no need to discriminate.

Ummu Sufyaan
05-11-2010, 09:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
I think that, because the Burqa is so unpopular on the planet, we should just have one thread listing all the countries where it may be/is banned. There are just too many threads with regard to this.
yeh, lets merge all these threads together. it would be a good show seeing how narrow minded and insecure some people can be getting intimated over a piece of cloth :phew

aamirsaab
05-13-2010, 01:04 PM
How many burqa-clad wearing women are there in australia? I'm guessing, 1. You know, 4 years ago noone gave a **** about burqa, but now all of a sudden yeah ban that ****, it aint right, y'all don't integrate.

Edit;
The robber had a gun....and they want to ban the burqa...where's that picard facepalm when you need it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!