/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Are men allowed to do modelling?

anonymous
05-09-2010, 11:28 PM
I think the obvious answer to me is "no" but i'm just asking to be sure. I know a Muslim guy (I don't know him personally) in the local area and he does modelling and posts them on Facebook aswell as them appearing in magazines/adverts etc I am assuming. He is often topless aswell.

Is there any hadiths and quotes from the quraan which can clarify that this is not allowed and what it means for the person doing it?

Thankyou

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
islamirama
05-10-2010, 01:52 AM
I would say it depends on the nature of the job. If he is modeling for some clothing company and dresses up in their clothes to advertise in Men's magazines than that is way different than if he is stripping down show skin in the name of "modeling" and those up in in any magz. Not only is there a sin for exposing beyond what is allowed in islam, you also are inviting sin by having non-mahrams looking at you as well as earning haram income. As for female modeling, that's a big no no.

جوري
05-10-2010, 04:25 AM
^^ true..

most of the Islamic catalogs I have seen though usually take the head off so it just about the garment!

:w:

marwen
05-10-2010, 04:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ
^^ true..

most of the Islamic catalogs I have seen though usually take the head off so it just about the garment!

that can be ok at a certain level,
but muslim men should avoid this type of jobs because imo it's really not islamic and it's against manliness. For every action or job that we're not sure if we should do it we have just to ask ourselves this question : "will the prophet Muhammed S.A.W do it himself or approve it ?" and we get the right answer.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Beardo
05-10-2010, 04:34 AM
^^ true..

I didn't even need to look twice to know that you took the picture from Shukr. :P

But I also agree with the above two posters in their opinions. I appreciate those pictures (when headless) so I can see how the fit of the particular item looks like. Underwear models are really not necessarily though.

جوري
05-10-2010, 04:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by marwen
that can be ok at a certain level,
but muslim men should avoid this type of jobs because imo it's really not islamic and it's against manliness. For every action or job that we're not sure if we should do it we have just to ask ourselves this question : "will the prophet Muhammed S.A.W do it himself or approve it ?" and we get the right answer.
:sl:

I really feel that this folks have another job on the side.. but I could be wrong..
one lady I knew who had her own Islamic business (she is a Jewish convert) had a wonderful online store called Marabo (now closed due to bankruptcy) -- she made exquisite Italian wool skirts but I digress, she used her friends for models and again heads were chopped off.. I really think they had other gigs on the side.. can't imagine it paying much to be a model for a Muslim store.. in fact all the big bucks is made from taking your clothes off.. doesn't say much about this great world of ours but folks are mostly gawkers looking for chiseled flesh..

Beardo
05-10-2010, 04:44 AM
:sl:

I really feel that this folks have another job on the side.. but I could be wrong..
one lady I knew who had her own Islamic business (she is a Jewish convert) had a wonderful online store called Marabo (now closed due to bankruptcy) -- she made exquisite Italian wool skirts but I digress, she used her friends for models and again heads were chopped off.. I really think they had other gigs on the side.. can't imagine it paying much to be a model for a Muslim store.. in fact all the big bucks is made from taking your clothes off.. doesn't say much about this great world of ours but folks are mostly gawkers looking for chiseled flesh..

That's the sad truth about society. More skin, more buckaroos.

That's why we have to support ourselves. The only reason Islamic businesses have high prices is because they have to compensate for the lack of customers.

Also, Sister Lily, you said "heads chopped off". Might want to choose your words carefully. :p People might take that out of context lol.

جوري
05-10-2010, 04:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
That's the sad truth about society. More skin, more buckaroos.

That's why we have to support ourselves. The only reason Islamic businesses have high prices is because they have to compensate for the lack of customers.

Also, Sister Lily, you said "heads chopped off". Might want to choose your words carefully. :p People might take that out of context lol.
just the neanderthals and I know we have a few..

is it near your bed time? :haha: enjoy putting a face with the name of your choosing!

Beardo
05-10-2010, 04:52 AM
just the neanderthals and I know we have a few..

is it near your bed time? :haha: enjoy putting a face with the name of your choosing!

Actually, it is night time here. I should probably thank you for showing me such hideous creatures which will now imprint my dreams. >_>

جوري
05-10-2010, 04:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
Actually, it is night time here. I should probably thank you for showing me such hideous creatures which will now imprint my dreams. >_>
that was indeed my intention.. sharpen your spear little bro.. and do your thing.. Godspeed!

CosmicPathos
05-10-2010, 05:08 AM
ladies and gentlemen, that creature is our cousin.

*hi, wanna come over for a tea, cousin? Meanwhile, I as a Homo sapien will teach you how to cut hair and do science*

aadil77
05-10-2010, 08:14 AM
the whole world is turning gay, why would a man want to model 'topless'? he'll only get more men goin after him than women

cat eyes
05-10-2010, 05:19 PM
i heard that men are allowed to do but its haraam for women :s i don't know whether thats true or not lol but if he is not showing his body then i dont see what the fuss is about however if he is then it would obviously come under as haraam

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Aslaamu alaaykum...
I personally think its kinda gay for a man to do modelling, and its haraam as the opposite gender is looking at you...However the Prophet sallahu alaayhi wa salam would never do such a thing, you dont need hadeeth all the time , you can judge by the character of the Prophet, that he would never do such a thing..hence MODESTY.!!!.

Its not manly, and if someone i was going to marry did such a thing i would be terrified and disgusted..A BIGG NO NO IN Islaam for defo...
There are some things, if you didnt have the proof, and you heard the Prophet did it sallahu alayhi wa salam you would still do it as you love the Prophet sallahu alayhi wa salam so dearly and you have faith!
But just my opinion...so forgive me if i have said anything wrong or bad : (

So yeahh

Wa alaaykum Salaam

tango92
05-10-2010, 06:09 PM
its amazing how deep down some men are so like women, attention craving.

im sure this type of modelling turns some bros into fags, if anything thats why it should be haram.

and the fitness models of today are all on the roids, so err i dont know if you can really class them as men anymore....

cat eyes
05-10-2010, 06:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim World 12
Aslaamu alaaykum...
I personally think its kinda gay for a man to do modelling, and its haraam as the opposite gender is looking at you...However the Prophet sallahu alaayhi wa salam would never do such a thing, you dont need hadeeth all the time , you can judge by the character of the Prophet, that he would never do such a thing..hence MODESTY.!!!.

Its not manly, and if someone i was going to marry did such a thing i would be terrified and disgusted..A BIGG NO NO IN Islaam for defo...
There are some things, if you didnt have the proof, and you heard the Prophet did it sallahu alayhi wa salam you would still do it as you love the Prophet sallahu alayhi wa salam so dearly and you have faith!
But just my opinion...so forgive me if i have said anything wrong or bad : (

So yeahh

Wa alaaykum Salaam
So you would call a muslim modelling islamic clothing as gay? is that really fair sister? there is many brothers who go out everyday anyway whether its to work or doing other duties and people still look at them lol the prophet mohammad (saw) could not stop women from staring at him either.

Since actual pictures are haraam in islam there is nothing to say that these brothers cant model on a cat walk in front of other muslims

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-10-2010, 07:14 PM
Aslaamu alaaykum

^ But sis is there any need for modelling? they can just display the picture of the jacket, trouser etc..for example they can use manequins, why use a human in every picture? its not a necessary/important, they can still put manequin on and with clothes on that manequin will make no difference at all..why use human? i dont get it

Yes true everyone looks, but as muslims we are commanded to lower our gaze, its our weakness that leads us to gaze at the wrong and even if the Prophet Muhammad saw was stared out by women doesnt make it right to put pictures of males and females on magazines, i dont see no point lol. but Allahu Allam ukhti
its almost like saying Smoking isnt haram because its not mentioned in the Quranic context that smoking isnt haram, but it says to avoid things that harm the body etc..

InshaAllaah i hope you understan what im saying , but if i sound harsh ukhti forgive me, my intention is not to, but then again Allaah hu Alaam :)

Wa alaaykum Salaam

cat eyes
05-11-2010, 02:30 PM
it might be that these models are not muslim but just in case that they are muslims we should be careful with our choice of words :) i notice that on alot of these islamic sites they don't show the face anyway. there might be different opinions on it from a scholars point of view. the sisters who model also don't show the face but thats only on a couple of sites ive visited

marwen
05-11-2010, 06:10 PM
Why should these guys hide their faces ? is that gonna make them more "islamic".
Well, IMHO it's better to avoid these modeling works, it can begin as halal, but then it can lead to many problems.

Ansariyah
05-11-2010, 09:08 PM
It depends aslong theres modesty...

Cabdullahi
05-12-2010, 12:01 PM
male modelling...walking on the runway doing the cat walk ,dressed modestly, hands on hips and posing.......sorry guys its homo!

you can wear a kamees above the ankle and have the biggest beard around its still homo son!

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-12-2010, 03:49 PM
Agreed. . . . .

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!