/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Brain can only do 2 tasks simultaneously !

marwen
05-13-2010, 04:23 AM
Your brain can only do tow tasks at the same time (one task for each half-brain). If you do more than 2 tasks then try to do them 2 by 2. If you try to make 3 tasks at the same time, then things become confusing.

That's what showed the newest results of brain activity researchs :

If you're in a busy job or have lots of things going on at home, you may be embroiled in frenzied multitasking. Most people actually find that they are not very good at it. Don't worry, a new study published in the Journal, Science has found that the brain cannot handle more than two tasks at a time.

There is a part of the brain called the medial prefrontal cortex (MFC), which is in the region of your front brain that manages tasking. It also interfaces with the emotional and cognitive systems of the brain, in addition to giving you your sense of Self. Studies show that this part of the prefrontal cortex interprets meanings of events that are experienced and attaches emotion to them. So when you are multi-tasking you can experience the emotion of frustration or other down emotions if you attempt to add more tasks than the brain can handle.

When more than one task is engaged, the MFC divides into two so that each half manages a task. For example, you can talk on the phone and do your photocopying but you can't add a third task. Things get too confused and chaotic. The brain can very easily manage the two tasks but parts of the tasks get dropped when a third is added. Switching back and forth between the two tasks works fairly well for the MFC but it can't seem to find a place to put the third task.

When the MFC in the two frontal lobes divide, each representing a task, the frontal portion enables the brain to do the switching back and forth between tasks and keeps track of all the related actions on a simultaneous basis. One goal of a task is accomplished while the other task is on hold. Depending on which task you place your attention next will be where the brain directs its signal.

One of the best examples that comes to mind is the job of receptionist. She has to answer the phone, handle customers, deliver messages, do the filing, type reports, organize incoming and outgoing mail, all the while trying to do it efficiently. If she knew she could only accomplish two efficient tasks at a time, she may be able to do them quicker and get on with the next ones, instead of trying to do everything at once.

By working with how the brain works instead of trying to do too many things at once, people may be able to improve their job performance and their job satisfaction. It is important to note that job satisfaction goes a long way to maintaining peak job performance. Studies show that the dorsal and ventral MPFC can be further divided into tasks that demand attention and tasks that are self-referential. Self-referential brain activity occurs when there is reference to emotional processing while doing attention-demanding tasks. In other words, you will default into emotions during times when you are doing a task that demands attention.

Make your job a lot easier and less stressful by attempting no more than two tasks at a time. Realize that emotion is created during times when tasks really command your attention. By reducing stress and improving your enjoyment, you will keep your peak job performance.

source..

These researchs are done by a team of french researchers from the "Institut national français de la santé et de la recherche médicale (Inserm)", here the article in french published in "Le Monde" newspaper : "Pas plus de deux choses à la fois"

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
CosmicPathos
05-13-2010, 04:39 AM
this is interesting but I wondering how can we explain people who can play more than 2 musical instruments at the same time with different notes?

marwen
05-13-2010, 04:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mad_scientist
this is interesting but I wondering how can we explain people who can play more than 2 musical instruments at the same time with different notes?
Ok, the article is speaking about real simultaneous tasks. But in reality we can do other tasks but sequentially and with a quick switching between tasks that they seem simultaneous. But concerning the real simultaneous tasking : doing tasks exactly at the same time, the article said that it's impossible to make more than 2.

If you have an idea about how computers work, then you can understand it like the difference between multitasking(one processor with sequential tasking) and Parallel computing (many processors working simultaneosly). here we have only 2 processors (2 half-brains).

ardianto
05-13-2010, 05:00 AM
That is one task.

Example of two tasks simultaneously is, play guitar while play football.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
CosmicPathos
05-13-2010, 05:08 AM
^^ that is interesting. How did you deduce that it is referring to two different sort of tasks? Seems my reading skills are getting rusty!

Beardo
05-13-2010, 05:17 AM
I suppose that's true. Though, is chewing gum considered a task?

ardianto
05-13-2010, 05:20 AM
^^ that is interesting. How did you deduce that it is referring to two different sort of tasks? Seems my reading skills are getting rusty!
When someone play two musical instruments simultaneously, or even sing while play guitar, actually this is one action/activity, ..... playing music.

But when someone play guitar with his hand and play football with his feet, he does two different action/activities, music and sport.

I know some footballer who can play guitar, but I doubt they can play guitar while play football.;D

CosmicPathos
05-13-2010, 05:24 AM
^^ bro, i know a musician who can sing and play guitar at the same time. Are they considered two different tasks? They should be no? He is singing from vocal cords, and playing from fingers?

marwen
05-13-2010, 05:38 AM
^^ bro, i know a musician who can sing and play guitar at the same time. Are they considered two different tasks? They should be no? He is singing from vocal cords, and playing from fingers?
Yes, if he's really trained then he can switch between different tasks so quickly that he seem doing many tasks at the same time, but actually he's doing them one by one (or at most 2 by 2).

tango92
05-13-2010, 09:45 AM
well i can hold an intelligent conversation whilst destroying opponents at table tennis, but nothing more.... so i guiess that theory holds out for me at least

ardianto
05-13-2010, 09:55 AM
There is no human that free from mistake, ........ me too. :D

Okay, you right. Someone can sing and play guitar, can sing and dance, can play guitar and dance. But I never see someone who can sing, dance and play guitar in the same time.

syilla
05-14-2010, 05:18 AM
Plus chewing gum and dancing huhu

newtothis
05-14-2010, 07:49 AM
Singing + dancing + playing an instrument, requires a lot of time to master. A person has to learn and expertise in each task alone first, also it is something which requires repetition, and then he can mix these tasks together and still has to practice many times to reach perfection. By the time someone performs in public, his/her brain is already used to the beat and rhythm.
If the same person was told to perform three different tasks other than these, it would be difficult but not as much because their brain has 'experienced' this kind of scenario before. I don't know, this is my guess

PouringRain
05-14-2010, 02:51 PM
I haven't read the study, just the first post here, but it seems to me that they are also not referring to tasks which have become automatic. Some people here asked about when they have observed others who appear to be doing multiple tasks at a time. The explanation for that would lie in automaticity. Activities that have become automatic occupy the mind less. Think of the difference from when someone first learns to play an instrument, to a skilled musician. In the skilled musician, there is not the need for the concentration or thinking of what one is doing, etc. Or the difference between a child who is learning to read versus someone who is a skilled reader. With time and practice, then things become automatic and require less cognitive resources. And from my understanding of the first post, without having read the study, they are not talking about these automatic behaviors.

Supreme
05-15-2010, 11:14 AM
This is an interesting study.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!