/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Christian Hell and Heaven

aadil77
05-14-2010, 11:42 AM
So what is the purpose of christian hell, who will end up in there? who will get to go to christian heaven? I came across an interesting post by a christian on another forum claiming that hell is only for satan, I thought she might be making it up to proselytise her point that 'god loves everyone', so is this true?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
PouringRain
05-14-2010, 03:15 PM
I would say that most Christians believe in a literal Heaven and Hell, but there are those who don't. There are places in the Bible where Hell is referred to as a literal place, such as in Luke 16. But there are those who say that stories such as this are only a parable, and thus not literal... also meaning hell could not be a literal place then. There is a passage in Revelations (I'd have to look up the reference) that tells of Hell being done away with in the last days. You can always look up Hell in a concordance and read for yourself what the Bible says on the topic. Here is one...

Who will end up in the "Christian" Hell? The short answer is all those who are "unsaved." Who will get to Heaven? Short answer: Those who are saved..... those who have believe and have repented of their sins. The long answers are much more complex and in the end only God knows. (Many Christians would disagree with me on that last statement and say that ALL who believe can be assured of salvation. :p )

I'd expound, but I keep losing internet with the rain outside.

aadil77
05-14-2010, 03:46 PM
lol how does the rain make you lose internet?

yh thats what I thought, so its not just satan that ends up in hell, is this a common view by some christians?

Supreme
05-14-2010, 04:07 PM
The Bible is not very clear on any form of Heaven or Hell. The fact that an afterlife isn't mentioned in the Old Testament led to formation of such groups as the Sadducees- a Jewish sect that believed that, although God exists, there is no such thing as an afterlife. With this view, they triied to test Jesus and see what Jesus would've said with regard to the afterlife.

23That same day the Sadducees, who say there is no resurrection, came to him with a question. 24"Teacher," they said, "Moses told us that if a man dies without having children, his brother must marry the widow and have children for him. 25Now there were seven brothers among us. The first one married and died, and since he had no children, he left his wife to his brother. 26The same thing happened to the second and third brother, right on down to the seventh. 27Finally, the woman died. 28Now then, at the resurrection, whose wife will she be of the seven, since all of them were married to her?"

29Jesus replied, "You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God. 30At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven. 31But about the resurrection of the dead—have you not read what God said to you, 32'I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob'[a]? He is not the God of the dead but of the living."

33When the crowds heard this, they were astonished at his teaching.
Matthew 22:23-33

Jesus mentions Hell in the Parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus, and Hell and Heaven are also alluded to in Revelation, but other than that, Hell's not really important (or necessary). The real goal of Christians is eternal life and the 'kingdom of God' being established for Christians. The kingdom of God is also known as the kingdom of heaven, and I believe the two are the same.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
PouringRain
05-14-2010, 04:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
lol how does the rain make you lose internet?

yh thats what I thought, so its not just satan that ends up in hell, is this a common view by some christians?
It's what happens living in a dead zone. LOL If you leave town, 5 miles out you lose cell phone reception as well. Anytime we have rain, there goes our internet. I think maybe the moisture.

No, it wouldn't be just Satan who ends up in Hell.

I wanted to comment/add to some of what Supreme was saying.... there are also Christians who do not believe that people go to Heaven or Hell after they die, but rather they go into a type of soul sleep until the end time when they are raised up and then comes the judgment.

Also, some people view Hell as a literal place of eternal torment, full of fire, etc. While others view it more figuratively. There are those who will say that the "torment" in Hell is the result from being separated from God.

aadil77
05-14-2010, 05:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PouringRain
It's what happens living in a dead zone. LOL If you leave town, 5 miles out you lose cell phone reception as well. Anytime we have rain, there goes our internet. I think maybe the moisture.

No, it wouldn't be just Satan who ends up in Hell.

I wanted to comment/add to some of what Supreme was saying.... there are also Christians who do not believe that people go to Heaven or Hell after they die, but rather they go into a type of soul sleep until the end time when they are raised up and then comes the judgment.

Also, some people view Hell as a literal place of eternal torment, full of fire, etc. While others view it more figuratively. There are those who will say that the "torment" in Hell is the result from being separated from God.
thats a bit weird, so what happens after judgment? do you believe that you enter hell or heaven right after you die?

In islam after you die you remain in your grave until you are raised out for the day of judgement, after judgment you go to hell or heaven

PouringRain
05-14-2010, 10:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
thats a bit weird, so what happens after judgment? do you believe that you enter hell or heaven right after you die?

In islam after you die you remain in your grave until you are raised out for the day of judgement, after judgment you go to hell or heaven
Those who believe in a soul sleep would believe similar to Islam.... that the individual remains "asleep" in the grave until the day of judgment. There are other Christians who believe that immediately after death the individual faces judgment and goes to Heaven or Hell (like in the story of Lazarus above). Some believe in a middle place, like a holding place, until the day of judgment.... there are various terms for these places.

As for me personally, I don't think too much, nor care too much about what is right or wrong with regards to when the judgment is or any of the after death stuff. I don't concern myself with end times events really either. I personally feel that none of it is important and I will know when things come and when I know. To me, what is important is how I live my life now: my relationship with God and raising my children. I don't really care what happens after I die, so the facts of it all are not that important to me. That is just my personal beliefs regarding the subject. LOL

glo
05-16-2010, 10:21 AM
There is certainly Biblical evidence which suggests that God gives us ample opportunity to enter into his kingdom, and that he would love to see everybody there!

This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. (1 Timothy 2:3- 4)
The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance. (2 Peter 3:9)
I guess the final decision is our own. Will we turn to God, repent our sins and commit our lives to him; or will we choose to tun away?

Somaiyah
05-17-2010, 10:55 AM
Assalamo alaykom,

It's a very interesting question because it was one of the main reasons I converted... I know Muslims can have different views of Heaven and Hell too, but the Quran is clear so no matter how Muslims think it will "look like" or who will go there, we can't know everything and we will know when we are dead after we have tried to live as good Muslims from the Quran and prophet Mohammad's (saaws) sunnah.

As Christian I believed that everyone who believes in Jesus as the son of God is saved. My parents taught me this, and the church too, from the verse in the Bible:

John 14:6
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Today I look at this verse different from Christians. I say that Jesus as a prophet showed us the way, and if he said this or not doesn't matter very much because no matter what he was a prophet and to tell the people that nobody comes to God except through him isn't very weird after all.

And another interesting fact is that my parents also always told me that all Jews are wrong in life, but that they are the "chosen people" so as long as they live after the rules that are in the Bible (which the Christians clearly don't have to do) they will also go to Heaven. Sometimes I feel for asking people who believe in this if there are two Heavens then: one for where Christians in an elevator go directly to Heaven, and one where the Jews have to stop by first to be judged and then go to Heaven too.

It really doesn't make sense. InshaAllah more people will understand.

Pygoscelis
05-17-2010, 02:25 PM
Something that suprised me when reading the bible is that there is no hell until the new testament of the bible. As monstrous as old testament God is depicted, he never send anybody to burn in hell. That didn't arrive until (what I'd thought was the much gentler and kinder) Jesus arrived on the scene. I suppose to have a saviour you have to have something to be saved from, and mere death wasn't enough to win converts - they needed the burning of flesh in eternal torment.

PouringRain
05-17-2010, 02:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
Something that suprised me when reading the bible is that there is no hell until the new testament of the bible. As monstrous as old testament God is depicted, he never send anybody to burn in hell. That didn't arrive until (what I'd thought was the much gentler and kinder) Jesus arrived on the scene. I suppose to have a saviour you have to have something to be saved from, and mere death wasn't enough to win converts - they needed the burning of flesh in eternal torment.

I think, in some ways, that could only be true in how you may (or may not) define hell. In the OT, "hell" is mentioned, but it is in the form of Sheol or Gehinnom. The later would probably be the closest to the "Christian" concept of hell, because it is a place of purification that may include burning with fire.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!