/* */

PDA

View Full Version : ~ Do Fish/Gold Fish Sleep? ~

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-15-2010, 10:36 PM
:hmm:Aslamu`Alaaykum Wa` Rahmatullaah Wa`Barahkatuh! :)

Do Gold Fish sleep? i was wondering because their eyes are always open, or they dont have eye lids?
And what does it mean if the fish swim around really fast? like lets say theyre zooming around in the tank like almost running, is that a bad sign or good? Just Curious, i hope nothings wrong with "Goldy" :\:omg:..so yeah, InshaAllaah whoever is able to answer please do Indeed for you shall suceed! :):raging:+o(:statisfie:exhausted:statisfie:shade: :p:hiding::nervous::heated:

So Yeahh..

Wa`Alaaykum Salaam Wa`Rahmatullah Wa`Barahkatuh!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
LauraS
05-15-2010, 10:39 PM
Me and my friend have been wondering this too! I'm sure mine used to go to the bottom of the tank of a night or just float. :s

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-15-2010, 10:41 PM
lol...but they`re sooo cute....the way they just sit in the tank mind their own business LOL

Life_Is_Short
05-15-2010, 10:50 PM
:wa:
If they're swimming around very fast then that means they're having fun.

As long as they're not floating on top of the water, there is nothing to worry about. :statisfie

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Mohamed_Sadiq
05-15-2010, 10:53 PM
Nah they sleep walk or sleep swim lool

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-15-2010, 10:55 PM
LOL..yes when i saw the fish running around really fast, i thought it was running because it was scared and shocked so yeah..why does the fish stick its head out? like comes to the top and looks like its blowing bubbles almost?

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-15-2010, 10:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Life_Is_Short
:wa:
If they're swimming around very fast then that means they're having fun.

As long as they're not floating on top of the water, there is nothing to worry about. :statisfie
What is wrong if it floats at the top?

aadil77
05-15-2010, 10:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim World 12
What is wrong if it floats at the top?
:skeleton: it means they'll never wake up agen

marwen
05-15-2010, 11:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
:skeleton: it means they'll never wake up agen
lol yes ! if they are upside down. lol
sorry this pic is shocking !

Life_Is_Short
05-15-2010, 11:01 PM
LOL..yes when i saw the fish running around really fast, i thought it was running because it was scared and shocked so yeah..why does the fish stick its head out? like comes to the top and looks like its blowing bubbles almost?
There is probably not enough oxygen in the tank. They stick their head out to get oxygen.

How long have you had them for?

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-15-2010, 11:02 PM
OH MY GOSH..noooo..well mine comes to the top like blows bubbles...but its not upside down, it wont die right? InshaAllaah..Please Make dua for my fish please please please please..InshaAllaah indeed

Mohamed_Sadiq
05-15-2010, 11:03 PM
Ur fish is probably buzzing because of wat u gave it to eat so it's trying to lose weight is a way of telling you that they want to be on diet.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-15-2010, 11:04 PM
There is probably not enough oxygen in the tank. They stick their head out to get oxygen.

Aaah Jazakallahu Khayr, it doesnt stick its head out, but like comes and blows bubbles lol..sorry if im confusin you all....Just me i guess :\

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-15-2010, 11:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mohamed_Sadiq
Ur fish is probably buzzing because of wat u gave it to eat so it's trying to lose weight is a way of telling you that they want to be on diet.
lol i got told to not feed it too much as that can be dangerous apparently.i dont think it needs to lose weight or anything, it sleeps in the dark right? coz its eyes are always OPEN..

Life_Is_Short
05-15-2010, 11:10 PM
OH MY GOSH..noooo..well mine comes to the top like blows bubbles...but its not upside down, it wont die right? InshaAllaah..Please Make dua for my fish please please please please..InshaAllaah indeed
Your filter/oxygen pump should increase the amount of oxygen.

One way you can increase oxygen (temporarily) is by taking a straw and blowing air into the tank.

Mohamed_Sadiq
05-15-2010, 11:11 PM
lol i got told to not feed it too much as that can be dangerous apparently.i dont think it needs to lose weight or anything, it sleeps in the dark right? coz its eyes are always OPEN..
Yh it does sleep in the dark it goes at the bottom of the tank depends if u got stones and leaves at the bottom of the tank, so it will hide behind the stones. The gold fish eyes seem to be open but sometimes while u don't see it they close it and have good dreams about you.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-15-2010, 11:12 PM
Your filter should increase the amount of oxygen.

One way you can increase oxygen (temporarily) is by taking a straw and blowing air into the tank.

Aaah Okaay Jazakallahu Khayr..so thats why they come to the top ..kool to know sis :)

Mohamed_Sadiq
05-15-2010, 11:12 PM
Your filter should increase the amount of oxygen.

or maybe the fish got asthma and needs fish inhalers

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-15-2010, 11:13 PM
Yh it does sleep in the dark it goes at the bottom of the tank depends if u got stones and leaves at the bottom of the tank, so it will hide behind the stones. The gold fish eyes seem to be open but sometimes while u don't see it they close it and have good dreams about you.
lol..i read they dont have eye lids, is that true?

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-15-2010, 11:13 PM
Indeed i doubt that very much

Life_Is_Short
05-15-2010, 11:15 PM
sometimes while u don't see it they close it and have good dreams about you.
They can’t close their eyes, because they have no eyelids.

Mohamed_Sadiq
05-15-2010, 11:16 PM
lol..i read they dont have eye lids, is that true?
I think they roll their eyes backwards which appears like they got eye lids

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-15-2010, 11:19 PM
LOL highly doubt that one , i think since your trying to give advise on Fish, you need to do some research on that too..
Indeed all is wellled up to geeky ness...Awesome

Mohamed_Sadiq
05-15-2010, 11:21 PM
LOL highly doubt that one , i think since your trying to give advise on Fish, you need to do some research on that too..
Indeed all is wellled up to geeky ness...Awesome
Yep did some reseach and founded this:
Fish have no eyelids to blink, their eyes are already moist, because they live in water. Since they have no eyelids, many people mistakenly think that fish do not sleep. Fish do sleep, they just stay very still in a quiet corner. Scientists believe they enter a rest state.

Life_Is_Short
05-15-2010, 11:21 PM
They'd probably consult their Dr Fish and get medicines on prescription in that case.

Mohamed_Sadiq
05-15-2010, 11:24 PM
They'd probably consult their Dr Fish and get medicines on prescription in that case.
Indeed, its a fishy business..

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-15-2010, 11:25 PM
Yep did some reseach and founded this:
Fish have no eyelids to blink, their eyes are already moist, because they live in water. Since they have no eyelids, many people mistakenly think that fish do not sleep. Fish do sleep, they just stay very still in a quiet corner. Scientists believe they enter a rest state.
Jazakallahu Khayr interesting info....so if our eyes were moisterised we wouldnt need to close our eyes to sleep either?
I just thought that whenever i put the lights on the fish opens its eyes just before i put them on, as it hears me get up to do something etc.. thats soo cute they sit in corners quietly minding their own business
MashaAllaah there is a rest state also indeed
Awesome info

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-15-2010, 11:27 PM
lool awesome..a Dr Fish.soo coooll the coolness of the cool...lol imagine prescribing medicane under the sea so kool, like a fish prescribing medicane for othe fishies LOL..

Mohamed_Sadiq
05-15-2010, 11:30 PM
Jazakallahu Khayr interesting info....so if our eyes were moisterised we wouldnt need to close our eyes to sleep either?
I just thought that whenever i put the lights on the fish opens its eyes just before i put them on, as it hears me get up to do something etc.. thats soo cute they sit in corners quietly minding their own business
Awesome info
Even our eyes are moisture but the fishes their is extremely moisture cause they are in water. If you pretend to throw something at them through the tank u will see them running away from u.

Life_Is_Short
05-15-2010, 11:31 PM
Awesome info
You should avoid doing that because they don't have eyelids, they don't like quick changes from darkness to bright light.

Woodrow
05-15-2010, 11:32 PM

That is the most probable cause. Fortunatly gold fish can gulp air from the surface. But if they continue doing this it means any of or all of the following

1. The bowl is to small for the fish

2. The water needs changing.

3. There is not enough oxyden in the water

4. The water temperature is too warm.

5. Dead plants in the water are absorbing the oxygen

6. Too many decorations in the water, reducing the space for available oxygen

7. Over feeding, decaying food using up the oxygen

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-15-2010, 11:33 PM
Aah yes i read something about that, i should be patient Indeed..

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-15-2010, 11:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
That is the most probable cause. Fortunatly gold fish can gulp air from the surface. But if they continue doing this it means any of or all of the following

1. The bowl is to small for the fish

2. The water needs changing.

3. There is not enough oxyden in the water

4. The water temperature is too warm.

5. Dead plants in the water are absorbing the oxygen

6. Too many decorations in the water, reducing the space for available oxygen
Aah Jazakallahu Khayr i think it is one of them, by the way, i am not allowed to put the fish in water straight away from the tap, i need to filter it first? then i may put the fish in the tank?

Woodrow
05-15-2010, 11:44 PM
Aah Jazakallahu Khayr i think it is one of them, by the way, i am not allowed to put the fish in water straight away from the tap, i need to filter it first? then i may put the fish in the tank?
Never use tap water. It has insufficient oxygen to begin with and the little in it is destroyed during the purification. Buy the gallon jugs og bottled water. dump about 1/4 out leaving an air space in the jug. Shake the jug like mad, before using it and be certain your bowl is big enough. Even a small gold fish needs at least a gallon of water. Quick guide is to allow one gallon of water for each 1 inch of fish. If you have 2 one inch fish you need 2 gallons of water, if you have one 2 inch fish you still need 2 gallons of water.

Life_Is_Short
05-15-2010, 11:45 PM
^You should also dechlorinate the water if your water suppliers use chloramine.

EDIT: sorry that was directed at sister "Muslim World 12 "

Woodrow
05-15-2010, 11:56 PM
Oh before I forget. Getting back to the original question. Yes, goldfish do sleep, However, it is not always apparent when they are asleep. Usually about all you notice is they are staying still

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-16-2010, 05:05 PM
^Aah Jazakallahu Khayr for your replies...

So i can boil the water and then place the fish in .. ? Correct me i am wrong also inshaAllaah

Woodrow
05-16-2010, 05:22 PM
^Aah Jazakallahu Khayr for your replies...

So i can boil the water and then place the fish in .. ? Correct me i am wrong also inshaAllaah
You can boil the water and use it. But remember boiling removes all of the dissolved oxygen in it. A fish will "drown" in boiled water if it is not aerated after boiling. The main advantage of boiling tap water is it will remove any Chlorine, but it also removes oxygen and the oxygen must be replaced before using it in a fish tank. That is all assuming that your tap water does not contain any dissolved solid contaniments such as lead, arsenic, mercury, pesticides, fertilisers, etc. Those are not removed by either filtration or boiling, but can be removed by reverse osmosis. Buy bottled spring water at the grocery store, not the expensive over priced useless stuff but the "El-Cheapo" Wal-Mart variety (Once in a while wal-mart does sell something good after all) Another choice is to buy low cost distilled water, but you will have to aerate it. That can be done easily with a cheap aquarium air pump and a "bubble stone" just remember to aerate it before putting the fish in it.

Yes, fish can drown and will if there is insufficient oxygen in the water.

Kids: do not try this at home, but you can drown a Great White Shark by holding it still under water.

Woodrow
05-16-2010, 05:30 PM
I should add that for a gold fish to survive the water in the bowl does not need constant mechanical aeration, the movement of the fish is sufficient. But, to begin with fresh water, you need to be certain there is oxygen in the water, other wise the fish will not live long enough for it's movement to aerate the water.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-16-2010, 05:30 PM
^wowwww awesome information..Jazkallahu Khayr for sharing once again..
What is aerating? How do i do that? InshaAllah

Woodrow
05-16-2010, 05:45 PM
^wowwww awesome information..Jazkallahu Khayr for sharing once again..
What is aerating? How do i do that? InshaAllah
It is forcing air to dissolve in the water. Any moving water will become aerated. (Aerated basically means-has air in it) to aerate boiled wateter you can do so by using an aquarium pump and air stone, pouring the water back and several times forth between 2 pans, bowls, jars etc . Put the water in a half filled capped bottle and shake it for a minute or 2.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-16-2010, 05:49 PM
^aaah Jazakallahu Khayyrr.. i was using a filter to filter the water in the tank, i was told to do this approx 2 weeks 2 get the water to settle down,and then i can put the fish into the tank...what you have said certainly doesnt take that long..

Nájlá
05-16-2010, 08:02 PM
Do gold fish ever close their mouths? I always think there hungary and my bro killed one by giving it too much fish food. :/

we only got one left now.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-16-2010, 08:05 PM
Yeah i heard its dangerous to put too much food in..as it may kill it...Ermm, i think ill let the rest answer the first q u placed :)

Woodrow
05-16-2010, 08:35 PM
I should mention the care of tropical fish is more difficult than the care of gold fish. Tropical fish require very different living conditions and those will vary on the species of fish. What I am writing here applies ONLY to gold fish.

Yes, goldfish will over eat and die not so much from the over eating but from the reduction of oxygen caused by decaying of excessive waste products. Commercial goldfish food is much more concentrated than what a wild gold fish would ever find. A very small amount goes a very long ways. A quick rule of thumb is to only feed them twice a day and no more than what they can eat in 5 minutes. Begin with just a tiny speck about the size of the "o" in this post. If that is eaten is less than 3 minutes add another. If all of that is eaten in less than 5 minutes increase the amount slightly at the next feeding. After a few feedings you will be able to judge how much will be eaten in 5 minutes.

Life_Is_Short
05-16-2010, 08:48 PM
Do not overfeed! Goldfish appear to be greedy because in nature they are constantly browsing for scarce food and if you keep on feeding them they will keep on eating, to their detriment. The greatest risks of overfeeding are the result of the uneaten food left to rot in the aquarium.

Nájlá
05-22-2010, 08:36 AM
^Jazakumallah khayr sisters!

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I should mention the care of tropical fish is more difficult than the care of gold fish. Tropical fish require very different living conditions and those will vary on the species of fish. What I am writing here applies ONLY to gold fish.

Yes, goldfish will over eat and die not so much from the over eating but from the reduction of oxygen caused by decaying of excessive waste products. Commercial goldfish food is much more concentrated than what a wild gold fish would ever find. A very small amount goes a very long ways. A quick rule of thumb is to only feed them twice a day and no more than what they can eat in 5 minutes. Begin with just a tiny speck about the size of the "o" in this post. If that is eaten is less than 3 minutes add another. If all of that is eaten in less than 5 minutes increase the amount slightly at the next feeding. After a few feedings you will be able to judge how much will be eaten in 5 minutes.
Jazakallah khair uncle, this is useful...

We have another gold fish we've had it for more than 6 months but I feel sorry for it its by its self, I'll have to get another one.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!