/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Awkward question

anonymous
05-16-2010, 09:12 AM
Basically I was breastfed by my aunty (my mums sister) when I was a baby and I am hoping this makes me unable to marry any of her children :D. According to a fatwa on islam qa, sheikh ibn baaz says that if you were breastfed 5 times in the first two years of your life by another woman, she becomes your mother and all her children become your brothers and sisters. But what if my aunty doesnt remember how many times she fed me? how did the sheikh come to the conclusion that the number of times has to be 5?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
GuCcI
05-16-2010, 09:10 PM
hmm strange.. i heard 3? but that was from an imam in bangladesh...

Lonely Gal
05-16-2010, 09:15 PM
sillly q maybe but why did ur aunty do that??

Woodrow
05-16-2010, 09:44 PM
First I do not believe any of us here can adequatly answer this question. While I have read several If when a fatwa has been issued we need to always verify the reliability and authority of the person issuing such. When speaking and searcing on our own we are limited to that we can verify in the Qu'ran and Ahadeeth.

So far I know of no ayyat or hadith that mentions this. But, that does not mean there are any. Unless somebody can back up their answer with an Ayyat or Valid Hadith, I suggest that the opinion of a recognized scholar be sought.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
islamirama
05-16-2010, 10:09 PM
If a woman breastfeeds a child, then this child becomes her child through radaa’ah (breastfeeding), and a brother through breastfeeding of all her children, whether those children were there before him or came later.

Based on this, any woman who was breastfed by your mother is your sister through breastfeeding, and you are a maternal uncle to all her children. So it is haraam for you to marry her daughter, because you are her maternal uncle through breastfeeding. And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “What becomes mahram (forbidden for marriage) through breastfeeding is that which become mahram through blood ties.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 2645; Muslim, 1447.

One breastfeeding (rad’ah) means when the child takes the beast and starts suckling, and then lets it go without being made to do so. That is one breastfeeding, because the Lawgiver referred to one breastfeeding in general terms, so it is to be interpreted according to custom, and this is the custom. If the child stops briefly in order to breathe or to rest or because of some distraction, then quickly goes back to the breast, this is regarded as one breastfeeding, just as when a person who is eating pauses briefly then quickly goes back to eating, this is not regarded as two meals, rather it is one. This is the view of al-Shaafa’i. And if the infant moves from one breast to the other, this is one breastfeeding.

More @ http://islamqa.com/en/ref/45819

format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
Basically I was breastfed by my aunty (my mums sister) when I was a baby and I am hoping this makes me unable to marry any of her children :D. According to a fatwa on islam qa, sheikh ibn baaz says that if you were breastfed 5 times in the first two years of your life by another woman, she becomes your mother and all her children become your brothers and sisters. But what if my aunty doesnt remember how many times she fed me? how did the sheikh come to the conclusion that the number of times has to be 5?
With the above said, i think hanafi believe that it is 2 breastfeeding and you become mahram. Personally, I would go with the above stated and go with 5 feedings. But if no one remembers how many feedings did take place than You could take the safe road and treat them as siblings (meaning don't get married) and/or do hijab in front of them (in case they may be non-mahgrams). I would double check with a scholar in this regard.

PouringRain
05-16-2010, 10:34 PM
It sounds to me like you do not want to marry any of her children...... since she does not remember how many times you were fed and how long, couldn't you just tell her that you would rather err on the side of caution and not marry anyone else who was breastfed by her? You could say that you would rather just not marry any of them, and be cautious, instead of marrying and then later having to divorce over the issue.

Hamza Asadullah
05-17-2010, 06:19 PM
In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Assalaamu `alaykum waRahmatullahi Wabarakatoh

When your aunt breastfed you, she becomes your milk-mother. Hence, her daughters are all your milk-sisters. A person is not allowed to marry his milk-sister. You cannot make Nikah with her.

And Allah knows best

Wassalam

Sheikh Mufti M. Kadwa
Darul Iftaa, Madrassah In'aamiyyah

أبو سليمان عمر
05-18-2010, 05:56 AM
«Breastfeeding results in prohibition of whatever is prohibited by blood relationship»

(i) That the child must have drunk from the woman's breast milk five times or more. So if he were to have drunk from the woman's breast milk only four times, then she is not considered a mother to him.

This is based upon what Imaam Muslim transmitted on the authority of 'Aa.ishah (radhi-yAllaahu 'anhaa) who said:

«It was revealed in the Qur.aan that drinking from a woman's breast ten times prohibits her to the child; this was then abrogated by five. The Messenger of Allaah (sal-Allaahu 'alayhe wa sallam) then died while this was being recited in the Qur.aan»

(ii) That breastfeeding is done before weaning, that's all the drinking of the breast milk is done five times, before weaning. But, if it is done after the weaning (period) or some of it before weaning and some of it after weaning, then the woman does not become a mother to him.

When the conditions for breast feeding are complete, then the baby becomes a child of the woman and her children become brethren to him, whether they were born before or after him. Similarly, the children of the husband whose child she was breastfeeding at the time become brothers and sisters to him, whether they are from the same woman who has breastfed him or from others.

Here, we should note that the relatives of the bresfed baby other than his offsprings have no relationship with the breasfeeding and it does not affect them at all. Thus, it is permissible for his blood brother to marry his breasfeeding mother or his sister from breastfeeding. But, the children of the baby (who was breastfed) become children of the breasfeeding mother and the husband whose baby she was suckling at the time, (that is) the ruling applies to him too.

The fourth question of Fatwa no. 18401

Q 4: i am a thirty-year-old man. i was breastfed by my paternal grandfather's wife (not my grandmother). This woman is now dead, and we do not know the number of times of breastfeeding. All we know is that she breastfed me. Is it permissible for me to shake hands with my cousins, or my father's nieces? Am I considered their paternal uncle or not? Are they Mahrams (unmarriageable relatives) for me or not? May Allah protect you and reward you.

A: As the number of times of breastfeeding is unknown, you should take precaution and not consider it breastfeeding that prevents marriage, as there is a possibility that its conditions were not met. Thus, the mentioned women are not considered Mahrams for you. As there is also a possibility that its conditions were met, then you had better not marry one of them either. It is known in Shari`ah (Islamic law) that precaution in marriage is observed more carefully than anything else, according to the saying of the Prophet (peace be upon him), Leave what causes you doubt and turn to what does not cause you doubt. The Prophet (peace be upon him) also said, Those who guard themselves against doubtful things keep their religion and honor blameless.

May Allah grant us success! May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family and Companions!

Permanent Committee for Scholarly Research and Ifta'

anonymous
05-18-2010, 04:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lonely Gal
sillly q maybe but why did ur aunty do that??
she used to look after me when I was small

anonymous
05-18-2010, 04:33 PM
thanks umar111 for the reply

the sheikhs answer is not quite clear
Q 4: i am a thirty-year-old man. i was breastfed by my paternal grandfather's wife (not my grandmother). This woman is now dead, and we do not know the number of times of breastfeeding. All we know is that she breastfed me. Is it permissible for me to shake hands with my cousins, or my father's nieces? Am I considered their paternal uncle or not? Are they Mahrams (unmarriageable relatives) for me or not? May Allah protect you and reward you.

A: As the number of times of breastfeeding is unknown, you should take precaution and not consider it breastfeeding that prevents marriage, as there is a possibility that its conditions were not met. Thus, the mentioned women are not considered Mahrams for you. As there is also a possibility that its conditions were met, then you had better not marry one of them either. It is known in Shari`ah (Islamic law) that precaution in marriage is observed more carefully than anything else, according to the saying of the Prophet (peace be upon him), Leave what causes you doubt and turn to what does not cause you doubt. The Prophet (peace be upon him) also said, Those who guard themselves against doubtful things keep their religion and honor blameless.
so is he saying to consider them as non mahrams, but also not to marry any of them? it makes sense so that this way there is no is possibility to commit sin

Muslim Woman
05-18-2010, 04:37 PM
Salaam Alaykum ;

Quran forbids marriage between children who were breastfeeded by same mother. A sis wrote about this problem and many of us gave detailed ans there . So , pl. try to find that thread.

if ur aunt does not remember how many times , Don't take any risk . Don't marry any of her daughters as they could be ur sisters .

Here is the verse :

Forbidden to you (for marriage) are: your mothers, your daughters, your sisters, your fathers sisters, your mothers sisters, your brothers daughters, your sisters daughters, your foster mother who gave you suck, your foster milk suckling sisters, your wives mothers, your step daughters under your guardianship, born of your wives to whom you have gone in - but there is no sin on you if you have not gone in them (to marry their daughters), - the wives of your sons who (spring) from your own loins, and two sisters in wedlock at the same time, except for what has already passed; verily, Allah is OftForgiving, Most Merciful.

( سورة النساء , An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #23)

Muslim Woman
05-18-2010, 04:43 PM
Salaam

is he saying to consider them as non mahrams, but also not to marry any of them? it makes sense so that this way there is no is possibility to commit sin
yes , it's better not to take any risk and stay away from all kinds of illegal relationships.

Here is a related hadith:

Sahih Bukhari Volume 3, Book 48, Number 828:
Narrated 'Uqba bin Al-Harith:

I married a woman and later on a woman came and said, "I suckled you both." So, I went to the Prophet (to ask him about it). He said, "How can you (keep her as a wife) when it has been said (that you were foster brother and sister)? Leave (divorce) her.

أبو سليمان عمر
05-19-2010, 06:24 AM
yes to be safe dont marry them and consider them non mahrams

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!