/* */

PDA

View Full Version : RIS: Reviving the Islamic Spirit

Beardo
05-16-2010, 08:33 PM
revivingtheislamicspirit.com

May 29th - 31st, 2010

On behalf of Reviving the Islamic Spirit (RIS) organizing committee, we would like to invite you to partake in a very special initiative. We are pleased to inform you that RIS will be launching it’s first convention in US to take place on May 29th-31st, 2010 at the prestigious Long Beach Convention Centre, Los Angeles - California.

In eight years since its inception, the annual RIS Convention has become a cornerstone of the North American Islamic community, attracting scholars and students alike from all corners of the world.

The record number of attendees for this convention has shown that this is an experience like nothing one has seen before. Its unique, single auditorium set up with no parallel or split sessions have ensured that all attendees are present to hear what we have to say. The cross section of the community this event caters to is perhaps the widest for any Muslim event.

We look forward to welcoming you to this grand launch of RIS US Convention and request your support and prayers.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Beardo
05-16-2010, 08:34 PM
Also, FYI..

Jannah Network / IslamicBoard WILL HAVE THEIR BOOTH HERE! :D Insha-Allah Ta'ala! So if you're attending, make sure to come by the table. I'll try to catch a few pictures of the table as well so ya'll can see it.

As an incentive, there'll be free candy at our table. ^_^ SO MAKE SURE TO ATTEND INSHA-ALLAH! :D

Far7an
05-16-2010, 08:40 PM
And those of you who want Rashad's autograph, just look for the Harry Potter lookalike.

Beardo
05-17-2010, 02:17 AM
lol. Is there anyone going from IslamicBoard?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sawdah
05-17-2010, 11:19 PM
I would go... if I lived in California.

Question: Besides candy(lol), what exactly is going to be at the booth? :ermm:

shuraimfan4lyf
05-17-2010, 11:31 PM
Ya'll should do something in Texas...

Beardo
05-18-2010, 03:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by seekerofjannah
I would go... if I lived in California.

Question: Besides candy(lol), what exactly is going to be at the booth? :ermm:
lol, well, we're going to have brochures, business cards, books, webhosting services, etc insha-Allah Ta'ala! Please make dua though. Who knew it takes so much time to organize a single booth? Can't imagine the ENTIRE EVENT!

format_quote Originally Posted by shuraimfan4lyf
Ya'll should do something in Texas...
you guys have enough as is with the Bayyinah Institute!

-Elle-
05-18-2010, 03:25 AM
This is such an amazing event, I look forward to it each year it's really inspiring!...(R.I.S started here I believe :D) Mash'Allah it gained popularity and has now spread to the U.S, quite amazing..
For some, it's truly a life changing experience, the atmosphere is absolutely phenomenal and the speeches made us laugh, cry, but mostly think deeply about this life.

ah you guys are so lucky it's soon, for us it's in december...so far away :(

I encourage anyone who lives in California to go, you won't regret it, and inshAllah your R.I.S will be as successful as the one we have here!

Beardo
05-18-2010, 03:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by houda~
This is such an amazing event, I look forward to it each year it's really inspiring!...(R.I.S started here I believe :D) Mash'Allah it gained popularity and has now spread to the U.S, quite amazing..
For some, it's truly a life changing experience, the atmosphere is absolutely phenomenal and the speeches made us laugh, cry, but mostly think deeply about this life.

I encourage anyone who lives in California to go, you won't regret it, and inshAllah your R.I.S will be as successful as the one we have here!
You honestly have no right to complain, Sister. You Canadians get this event EVERY YEAR! And you guys get such an AMAZING outcome masha-Allah! This is our first time.

Sister Unknown
05-18-2010, 03:36 AM
:wa:

I wouldn't go:

1. It is more rewarding for a woman to stay home.
2. The pictures make it appear as if there is no segragation of genders in Islam. Pardon my saying.
I'll try to catch a few pictures of the table as well so ya'll can see it.
No offense intended. Please do not qestion me, refear to scholars.

Sister Unknown
05-18-2010, 03:38 AM
Never mind about point 3.
May Allah rewar you all.

-Elle-
05-18-2010, 03:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
You honestly have no right to complain, Sister. You Canadians get this event EVERY YEAR! And you guys get such an AMAZING outcome masha-Allah! This is our first time.
I wasn't complaining, I was just kidding around.

Anyway, yeah AlhamdulillAh I know we are lucky- and it's true the outcome is incredible, but remember it grew with time. InshAllah it will gain more and more popularity in the U.S. as it did here, it's a great place to gain knowledge.

And sister Unknown, the seating areas are segregated, with men to the left, women to the right, and the center for families. As for the room in itself, no it is not segregated.
It is also rewarding and encouraged for all Muslims to seek knowledge, and this is a great way to that. Anyway, each person knows of their intentions when attending such event, but I guess you can do whatever you feel most comfortable with.Welcome to the forum by the way!

Sawdah
05-18-2010, 03:50 AM
It's been in Canada? It started in Canada?

December, eh? Will try to go iA.

CosmicPathos
05-18-2010, 04:15 AM
I went to this RIS once. But I would not go again. Its more of a chill out event than a learning experience. Too much distraction for me.

Beardo
05-18-2010, 04:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sister Unknown
:wa:

I wouldn't go:

1. It is more rewarding for a woman to stay home.
2. The pictures make it appear as if there is no segragation of genders in Islam. Pardon my saying.

No offense intended. Please do not qestion me, refear to scholars.
Insha-Allah I do believe there is segregation at this event. "make it appear as if..." Don't make assumptions, Sister! Only speak with confirmation or you're condemning an entire effort in itself. As much as I would also express distaste if it is to be a mixed gathering, we can't generalize or assume for it'll be backbiting.

I wasn't complaining, I was just kidding around.

Anyway, yeah AlhamdulillAh I know we are lucky- and it's true the outcome is incredible, but remember it grew with time. InshAllah it will gain more and more popularity in the U.S. as it did here, it's a great place to gain knowledge.

And sister Unknown, the seating areas are segregated, with men to the left, women to the right, and the center for families. As for the room in itself, no it is not segregated.
It is also rewarding and encouraged for all Muslims to seek knowledge, and this is a great way to that. Anyway, each person knows of their intentions when attending such event, but I guess you can do whatever you feel most comfortable with.Welcome to the forum by the way!
I know you were kidding. I was only returning the joke.

The organizers said if there is a positive outcome and feedback, they'll have it every year insha-Allah!

It started in canada like 10 years ago! Where have you been? Over 22,000 people attended the last one!

format_quote Originally Posted by mad_scientist
I went to this RIS once. But I would not go again. Its more of a chill out event than a learning experience. Too much distraction for me.

Hidaaya
05-18-2010, 04:28 AM
I really wanted to go, but my parents said it won't be possible :/
They'll have amazing speakers Mashallah, and who could forget?? JUNAID JAMSHEDD! :D That guy is just amazing.

also, the booth sounds interesting!

Beardo
05-18-2010, 04:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hidaaya
I really wanted to go, but my parents said it won't be possible :/
They'll have amazing speakers Mashallah, and who could forget?? JUNAID JAMSHEDD! :D That guy is just amazing.

also, the booth sounds interesting!
you bet masha-Allah. He came to California two years ago for a graduation at the Institute of Knowledge.

-Elle-
05-18-2010, 03:11 PM
Depends who you go with. It's true that some people just go to hang around with friends, but don't pay those people any mind. Me and my friends attended nearly every lecture, taking breaks to eat or pray, from morning until night, and I came back from that event with much more knowledge than I ever would've gained here, alone, during the semester-where time is already lacking.

Definetely try to go, you won't regret it :) It takes place in Toronto, but it's worth the trip if you live in another city. Are you familiar with the MSA? If so, you can check with them, chances are they organize an annual trip there for anyone who wishes to go.
'

Insha-Allah I do believe there is segregation at this event.
It started in canada like 10 years ago! Where have you been? Over 22,000 people attended the last one!
Do you mean the seating area will be segregated or the entire room?
MashAllah 22000 people huh..? I heard the announcers say that it was three time more than last year, but we never got a definite number, MashAllah! Hopefully you guys will have as much success.

Sawdah
05-18-2010, 09:09 PM
I wish I knew. I mean, 10 years! SubhanAllah, how could I miss it?:hiding:

@houda- I'll definitely try to get to this year's RIS iA.

shuraimfan4lyf
05-18-2010, 09:11 PM
:salamext:

How did they occupy 22,000 people subhanAllah.. Was it like a massive convention center or a outdoor space?

Beardo
05-18-2010, 10:39 PM
:salamext:

How did they occupy 22,000 people subhanAllah.. Was it like a massive convention center or a outdoor space?
Beats me. I'm pretty sure it was still inside a convention hall though.

-Elle-
05-19-2010, 03:52 AM
It was at the metro toronto convention center; massive space for everyone to sit, and a large praying area in the indoor "souk".

You'd often hear speakers making remarks that they couldn't see the far back audience because we we're so numerous, mashAllah. They had I believe 6 jumbo screens placed in the beggining, center, and end of the room, in case you were too far back to see the speakers. Very well organized, thanks to the volunteers.

shuraimfan4lyf
05-19-2010, 04:13 AM
I have attended TDC(Texas Dawah Convention) few times and they way they organize is a bit different. They schedule atleast 5-6 lectures at one time. So the crowd is separated, not everyone can attend one lecture. It was beneficial the past 2 times I been there Alhamdulillah.

Beardo
05-19-2010, 04:20 AM
Steering back to subject, who's going?

And also, what should I be putting on the table? I got the Jannah Studios web hosting forms, candy (What kind should I get?), brochures, business cards, laptop/s, MAYBE a nasheed stereo...

shuraimfan4lyf
05-19-2010, 04:28 AM

And also, what should I be putting on the table? I got the Jannah Studios web hosting forms, candy (What kind should I get?), brochures, business cards, laptop/s, MAYBE a nasheed stereo...
Ferrero Rocher definitely!

Beardo
05-19-2010, 04:52 AM
Ferrero Rocher definitely!
I should have probably mentioned reasonably priced. We won't be giving iphones and ipads to everyone that comes to take a brochure, either.

I was thinking something that tastes good but is also cost effective. :X

shuraimfan4lyf
05-19-2010, 04:54 AM
I should have probably mentioned reasonably priced. We won't be giving iphones and ipads to everyone that comes to take a brochure, either.

I was thinking something that tastes good but is also cost effective. :X
Lol oopz I thought about that after posting it:hiding:..hmm Just like buy a bag small candy mix of snickers,twix etc..if you want cheaper one,you get can jolly ranchers. :statisfie

tw009
05-19-2010, 04:57 AM
RIS is amazing! I wish I was in Cali! anyone who is around the area MUST attend!!! totally worth your time and money! You wont regret it.

what distraction? The only distractions are in the bazaar area. :\

AabiruSabeel
05-19-2010, 06:46 AM

Hmm... You are being more generous and giving away laptops instead of iphones and ipads, right? :hmm:

Sawdah
05-19-2010, 12:09 PM
Lol oopz I thought about that after posting it:hiding:..hmm Just like buy a bag small candy mix of snickers,twix etc..if you want cheaper one,you get can jolly ranchers. :statisfie
Ehh, I'd stay away from the chocolate. Only because the place will be jam-packed with people and it could melt.
Jolly Ranchers? Big yes. I'd stick with wrapped-up candy.

Lol, the stereo thing could actually work!

Hey, ...do you hear a Labbayk nasheed playing?
*walk all the way to your booth*

Oh, what do you guys do? *grabs some candy*
:smile:

But then again, you wouldn't be able to play it too loud, you'll just annoy the booths beside you.

Beardo
05-19-2010, 12:36 PM
Ehh, I'd stay away from the chocolate. Only because the place will be jam-packed with people and it could melt.
Jolly Ranchers? Big yes. I'd stick with wrapped-up candy.

Lol, the stereo thing could actually work!

Hey, ...do you hear a Labbayk nasheed playing?
*walk all the way to your booth*

Oh, what do you guys do? *grabs some candy*
:smile:

But then again, you wouldn't be able to play it too loud, you'll just annoy the booths beside you.
LOL! Well, maybe I could hire people to block people from going to other booths. :X

I don't want to cause a disturbance, which is why I'm really considering the nasheeds or not.

format_quote Originally Posted by AabiruSabeel
Hmm... You are being more generous and giving away laptops instead of iphones and ipads, right? :hmm:
Would you like to sponsor us for them laptops?

CosmicPathos
05-19-2010, 03:53 PM
Depends who you go with. It's true that some people just go to hang around with friends, but don't pay those people any mind. Me and my friends attended nearly every lecture, taking breaks to eat or pray, from morning until night, and I came back from that event with much more knowledge than I ever would've gained here, alone, during the semester-where time is already lacking.

Definetely try to go, you won't regret it :) It takes place in Toronto, but it's worth the trip if you live in another city. Are you familiar with the MSA? If so, you can check with them, chances are they organize an annual trip there for anyone who wishes to go.
'

Do you mean the seating area will be segregated or the entire room?
MashAllah 22000 people huh..? I heard the announcers say that it was three time more than last year, but we never got a definite number, MashAllah! Hopefully you guys will have as much success.
maybe you are right. I just felt that many youth were acting childishly and were dressed ostensibly for an Islamic conference. Couple of speakers were good, others said stuff which one would know anyways. Anyways. I am looking forward to Journey of Faith conference.

-Elle-
05-19-2010, 08:04 PM
I once attended one of Sheikh Abdurr raheem green's lectures and I saw the trailer of this conference, and I completely forgot about it until now. I am searching for information on it but I cannot find it's upcoming date this year, could you please share any information you have on this conference?
Jazak'Allah kheir..

Sorry I don't mean to derail the thread, I am just really curious about this conference.

Beardo
05-19-2010, 08:24 PM
I have 1000 business cards, a banner stand with the banner on it, and insha-Allah 1000 brochures on its way. 2000 information pieces should be enough insha-Allah right?

Sawdah
05-21-2010, 11:36 PM
LOL! Well, maybe I could hire people to block people from going to other booths. :X
:o You would do that?
I don't want to cause a disturbance, which is why I'm really considering the nasheeds or not.
If it looks like it's bothering people, you can always put it away.

Beardo
05-22-2010, 12:44 AM
:o You would do that?

If it looks like it's bothering people, you can always put it away.
Why wouldn't I?
Of course I wouldn't. Do I really sound like the person that would do something of that nature?

Or I could always put the blame on someone else. Maybe put the stereo on another booth and frame them for the nuisance.

shuraimfan4lyf
05-22-2010, 03:50 AM
Why wouldn't I?
Of course I wouldn't. Do I really sound like the person that would do something of that nature?

Or I could always put the blame on someone else. Maybe put the stereo on another booth and frame them for the nuisance.
How evil of you lol..when you get caught, dont forget to make the innocent face. :p

Beardo
05-22-2010, 04:02 AM
How evil of you lol..when you get caught, dont forget to make the innocent face. :p
*notes down* Good point! Jazakallah. What other ideas you got, O mischievous one?

Just got the business cards and banner. Masha-Allah, they're looking good. Just waiting for the brochures to come in next week insha-Allah. Anyone know how to do bookmark designing?

shuraimfan4lyf
05-22-2010, 04:20 AM
*notes down* Good point! Jazakallah. What other ideas you got, O mischievous one?

Just got the business cards and banner. Masha-Allah, they're looking good. Just waiting for the brochures to come in next week insha-Allah. Anyone know how to do bookmark designing?
Wa iyyak! Also, Post the picture of how the banner and business cards, so the ones who cant attend get to see what you are distributing. For bookmark designing you could check this website out..http://www.kooldesignmaker.com/Bookmark_design.asp

Beardo
05-23-2010, 05:46 PM
http://jannahwiki.com/all-entries/ja...slamic-spirit/

Beardo
05-28-2010, 12:02 AM
tomorrow's my big day! can't wait insha-Allah! Make dua it's successful!

tw009
05-31-2010, 06:09 AM
how did it go?? share some pictures with us : )

Beardo
06-01-2010, 04:51 AM
insha-Allah, will do. I was with the media, so I'll be sure to post the article and some pictures too insha-Allah!

Beardo
06-11-2010, 12:21 PM
http://www.infocusnews.net/content/view/44361/135/

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!