/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Salah & Clothing

StayHumble
05-21-2010, 12:06 AM
I know that it is not permissible to wear clothing with pictures such as animals or humans, however most of my clothing has this on it and sometimes when I am out I can't get home in time to pray, So could I still pray with the pictures. Secondly, if I can't it is possible to wear something over it or put something over the image to cover it?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Abdul Wahid
05-21-2010, 03:50 PM
:sl: brother

Question: What is the ruling on praying in clothes on which there are images of some animals which may be part of a manufacturing company’s logo such as tigers or crocodiles?.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

It is not permissible to wear clothes on which there are images of animals or people, because of the report narrated by al-Bukhaari (3226) and Muslim (2106) from Abu Talhah (may Allaah be pleased with him), according to which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The angels do not enter any house in which there is an image.”

See: Mataalib Ooli al-Nuha (1/353).

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked about the ruling on wearing clothes on which there are images of animals or people. He replied: It is not permissible for a person to wear clothes on which there is an image of an animal or a person, and it is not permissible to wear ghutrahs or other headgear on which there is an image of a person or an animal, because it is proven that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The angels do not enter any house in which there is an image.” Hence we do not think that anyone should keep pictures for memories, as they say, and whoever has any pictures for memories should destroy them, whether he put them on the wall or in an album etc, because keeping them deprives the people of the house of the angels’ entering upon them. And Allaah knows best. End quote.

He (may Allaah have mercy on him) was also asked about the ruling on children wearing clothes on which there are images of animate beings. He replied: The scholars said that it is haraam to dress a child in what it is haraam for adults to wear. Whatever has an image on it, it is haraam for adults to wear it, so it is also haraam for children to wear it. This is the answer. What the Muslims should do is to boycott these clothes and shoes, so that the evildoers will have no means of reaching us in this matter. If they are boycotted they will never find a way of bringing them into this land, because when they are boycotted there will be no point in bringing them here. End quote from Majmoo’ Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (12/333).

Secondly:

Prayer offered in a garment that has images of people or animals on it is valid, but there is some sin involved.

The Scholars of the Standing Committee were asked: Is it permissible to pray in a garment on which there is an image of a person or images of animals? Is it permissible to enter the toilet in a garment on which there is the name of Allaah?

They replied: It is not permissible to pray in clothes on which there are images of animate beings, whether people, birds, camels, cattle, sheep, or other animate beings, and it is not permissible for a Muslim to wear them when he is not praying either. The prayer of one who prays wearing clothes on which there are images is valid, but he is sinning if he knows the shar’i ruling. It is not permissible to write the name of Allaah on clothing, and it is makrooh to enter the toilet wearing it, because that is showing disrespect to His name, may He be exalted. End quote.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (6/179)

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked about the ruling on the prayer of one who prays in a garment on which are embroidered or printed images of animate beings.

He replied: If he is unaware, there is no sin on him, but if he knew (the ruling) then his prayer is valid but there is some sin involved, according to the more correct of the two scholarly rulings. Some scholars said that his prayer is invalid, because he has prayed in a garment that is haraam for him. End quote from Majmoo’ Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (12/360)

Based on this, you have to remove the image of the tiger or crocodile from your clothes, or distort the image by removing the head or covering it with some colour or thread that will hide it. If you pray with the image still on your clothes, your prayer is valid but there is some sin.

See also the answer to question no. 3332.

And Allaah knows best.

Source: islamqa

:wa:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!