/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Could Not Keep My Pomise to Allah.

MuslimDude
05-21-2010, 07:35 PM
Salam brothers and sisters im in a deep truble. I made a promise to Allah I said Wallaha while Holding the Quran in my right hand. But could not keep my prmomise what should I do? I heard that I could re pay it by fasting for 3 days is it true? Please help me Im very Saad at this moment.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Abdul Wahid
05-21-2010, 07:43 PM
:wa: brother

Praise be to Allaah.

With regard to what you asked about:

Making a promise to Allaah is a kind of vow and an oath (yameen).

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And of them are some who made a covenant with Allaah (saying): ‘If He bestowed on us of His Bounty, we will verily, give Sadaqah (Zakaah and voluntary charity in Allaah’s Cause) and will be certainly among those who are righteous’”[al-Tawbah 9:75]

Abu Bakr al-Jassaas said in Ahkaam al-Qur’aan (3/208) concerning this verse:

This indicates that whoever makes a vow to observe an act of worship has to fulfil it, because a promise or covenant is a vow and an obligation. End quote.

Al-Zuhri (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: Whoever makes a promise to Allaah and breaks it, let him give in charity that which Allaah has enjoined in the case of a broken oath. This was quoted in al-Mudawwanah, 1/580. And he said: This was the view of Ibn ‘Abbaas, ‘Ata’ ibn Abi Rabaah and Yahya ibn Sa’eed. Ibn Wahb said, narrating from Sufyaan al-Thawri from Firaas from al-Shu’bi: If a person says, “I promise Allaah…” then this is an oath (yameen). End quote.

Shaykh al-Islam [Ibn Taymiyah] said in al-Ikhtiyaaraat (pp 562-563):

If a person says, “I promise Allaah that I will perform Hajj this year,” then this is a vow, a promise and an oath (yameen). End quote.

If the vow serves the purpose of an oath (yameen), which is to oblige oneself or someone else to do a certain thing or not to do a certain thing, then it comes under the ruling on oaths (yameen), and if he does not fulfil it then he must offer the expiation for breaking an oath (kafaarat yameen).

Ibn Qudaamah said in al-Mughni (13/622):

When a person makes a vow which serves the purpose of an oath (yameen), which is to oblige oneself or someone else to do a certain thing or not to do a certain thing, and his intention is not to make a vow (nadhr), this comes under the ruling of an oath (yameen). End quote.

Based on this, you have to offer the expiation for breaking an oath (kafaarat yameen). It is sufficient for you to offer one expiation for all previous transgressions, if the vows all had to do with the same action – which is what appears to be the case from your question. If the vows had to do with different actions then you have to offer one expiation for each action.

Shaykh al-Islam said in al-Ikhtiyaaraat (pp. 562-563):

Whoever repeats an oath before offering expiation, the correct view is that if this oath had to do with one action, only one expiation is to be offered; otherwise he must offer two. End quote.

The expiation for breaking an oath is to set free a slave, or to feed or clothe ten poor persons. Whoever cannot do any of those things should fast for three days, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Allaah will not punish you for what is unintentional in your oaths, but He will punish you for your deliberate oaths; for its expiation (a deliberate oath) feed ten Masaakeen (poor persons), on a scale of the average of that with which you feed your own families, or clothe them or manumit a slave. But whosoever cannot afford (that), then he should fast for three days. That is the expiation for the oaths when you have sworn. And protect your oaths (i.e. do not swear much). Thus Allaah makes clear to you His Ayaat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) that you may be grateful” [al-Maa'idah 5:89]

And Allaah knows best.

Source: islamqa

MuslimDude
05-21-2010, 08:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Wahid
:wa: brother

Praise be to Allaah.

With regard to what you asked about:

Making a promise to Allaah is a kind of vow and an oath (yameen).

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And of them are some who made a covenant with Allaah (saying): ‘If He bestowed on us of His Bounty, we will verily, give Sadaqah (Zakaah and voluntary charity in Allaah’s Cause) and will be certainly among those who are righteous’”[al-Tawbah 9:75]

Abu Bakr al-Jassaas said in Ahkaam al-Qur’aan (3/208) concerning this verse:

This indicates that whoever makes a vow to observe an act of worship has to fulfil it, because a promise or covenant is a vow and an obligation. End quote.

Al-Zuhri (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: Whoever makes a promise to Allaah and breaks it, let him give in charity that which Allaah has enjoined in the case of a broken oath. This was quoted in al-Mudawwanah, 1/580. And he said: This was the view of Ibn ‘Abbaas, ‘Ata’ ibn Abi Rabaah and Yahya ibn Sa’eed. Ibn Wahb said, narrating from Sufyaan al-Thawri from Firaas from al-Shu’bi: If a person says, “I promise Allaah…” then this is an oath (yameen). End quote.

Shaykh al-Islam [Ibn Taymiyah] said in al-Ikhtiyaaraat (pp 562-563):

If a person says, “I promise Allaah that I will perform Hajj this year,” then this is a vow, a promise and an oath (yameen). End quote.

If the vow serves the purpose of an oath (yameen), which is to oblige oneself or someone else to do a certain thing or not to do a certain thing, then it comes under the ruling on oaths (yameen), and if he does not fulfil it then he must offer the expiation for breaking an oath (kafaarat yameen).

Ibn Qudaamah said in al-Mughni (13/622):

When a person makes a vow which serves the purpose of an oath (yameen), which is to oblige oneself or someone else to do a certain thing or not to do a certain thing, and his intention is not to make a vow (nadhr), this comes under the ruling of an oath (yameen). End quote.

Based on this, you have to offer the expiation for breaking an oath (kafaarat yameen). It is sufficient for you to offer one expiation for all previous transgressions, if the vows all had to do with the same action – which is what appears to be the case from your question. If the vows had to do with different actions then you have to offer one expiation for each action.

Shaykh al-Islam said in al-Ikhtiyaaraat (pp. 562-563):

Whoever repeats an oath before offering expiation, the correct view is that if this oath had to do with one action, only one expiation is to be offered; otherwise he must offer two. End quote.

The expiation for breaking an oath is to set free a slave, or to feed or clothe ten poor persons. Whoever cannot do any of those things should fast for three days, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Allaah will not punish you for what is unintentional in your oaths, but He will punish you for your deliberate oaths; for its expiation (a deliberate oath) feed ten Masaakeen (poor persons), on a scale of the average of that with which you feed your own families, or clothe them or manumit a slave. But whosoever cannot afford (that), then he should fast for three days. That is the expiation for the oaths when you have sworn. And protect your oaths (i.e. do not swear much). Thus Allaah makes clear to you His Ayaat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) that you may be grateful” [al-Maa'idah 5:89]

And Allaah knows best.

Source: islamqa
Brother The thing is I knew what I was doing when I broke My oath. Please Brother It was like this. I Promised Allah while holding the quran that I would not do (something) for 10 days. But I could not keep my filthy shaytan under control so I did it :'(. Please give me more advice I live in sweden in getto alike place. We have a mosque near by. Please guide me stepp by stepp what Shud I do I am 18 years old I have little money to give to charity I am able to fast. Please brother im desperate. May Allah forgive me. I do my regular 5 times salat I dont know if I will contenue. Please im really really desperate. Guide me please.

Mohamed_Sadiq
05-21-2010, 11:27 PM
May allah (swt) forgive u for what ever u did, but i advice not to make a promise u can't keep from now on.
May allah make everything easy for u, ameen

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Dagless
05-21-2010, 11:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MuslimDude
Brother The thing is I knew what I was doing when I broke My oath. Please Brother It was like this. I Promised Allah while holding the quran that I would not do (something) for 10 days. But I could not keep my filthy shaytan under control so I did it :'(. Please give me more advice I live in sweden in getto alike place. We have a mosque near by. Please guide me stepp by stepp what Shud I do I am 18 years old I have little money to give to charity I am able to fast. Please brother im desperate. May Allah forgive me. I do my regular 5 times salat I dont know if I will contenue. Please im really really desperate. Guide me please.
The brother has advised you in big red letters what to do:

"The expiation for breaking an oath is to set free a slave, or to feed or clothe ten poor persons. Whoever cannot do any of those things should fast for three days"

Just be repentant and pray for forgiveness. Stopping praying 5 times a day will be going in the wrong direction so I'm not sure what your logic is there. Allah is forgiving and merciful to those who sincerely repent.
Also, when making a promise, it is enough to swear it - no need to hold the Quran.

Woodrow
05-21-2010, 11:47 PM
Akhi,

Bro. Abdul Wahid gave you the best advice available here. But if it is in your heart to do so, ask all of us to make Du'a for Allaah(swt) to forgive you and do not fail to ask him for forgiveness yourself. always remember Allaah(swt) can forgive all things and he is very knowing of our weaknesses. There is little you can or need do except do your best to ask for forgiveness, repent for your sins as Bro. Abdul Wahid said and live your life from this moment on with the intent to never repeat your sin.

May Allaaah(swt) forgive you of this and all of your sins, give you the strength to live a righteous live and remove the pain this sin has brought upon you.

MuslimDude
05-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Yes I read what brother Abdul Wahit wrote. But I have already read that article in islam-qa . com earlier before I made this topic But i did not understad it very well. So please could someone step by step guide me on what I should do. I am able to pay zakath But I cannot cloth any poor because In Sweden there arent any poor. But I can give some of my money to mosque and I can fast for 3 full years if that is what it takes to be forgiven. Please could you guide me step by step on what I should do because im really desperate and saad.

Thank you my brothers and sisters and please mkae dua for me that I will be forgiven. I cant stop think about that I broke my promise to Allah :'(

Dagless
05-22-2010, 02:56 PM
Yes I read what brother Abdul Wahit wrote. But I have already read that article in islam-qa . com earlier before I made this topic But i did not understad it very well. So please could someone step by step guide me on what I should do. I am able to pay zakath But I cannot cloth any poor because In Sweden there arent any poor. But I can give some of my money to mosque and I can fast for 3 full years if that is what it takes to be forgiven. Please could you guide me step by step on what I should do because im really desperate and saad.

Thank you my brothers and sisters and please mkae dua for me that I will be forgiven. I cant stop think about that I broke my promise to Allah :'(
From what the brother posted my understanding is that you have to do any ONE of the following:

1) Set a slave free.
2) Clothe 10 poor people.
3) Feed 10 poor people.

The poor people do not have to be in your country. There are plenty of needy people in the world and plenty of charities.
If you do not have enough money to do one of those 3 things then instead you may fast 3 days.

Abdul Wahid
05-22-2010, 03:04 PM

:sl: brother.

As brother Dagless has said.

One point to remember is that one can only resort to fasting three days for the kaffara if unable to do any of the following:

1. Freeing a slave

2. Clothing ten poor people, giving each of them one garment or more.

3. Feeding ten poor people two meals each.

Only when incapable of observing the above can one resort to fasting three days.

If fasting is your only option then fast asap but don't delay it any further.

And ALLAH(SWT) knows best.

:wa:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!