Brazil orders Polish priest arrested in abuse case

By STAN LEHMAN
, AP
posted: 4 HOURS 23 MINUTES AGO
comments: 0

PRINT
|E-MAILMORE

Text SizeAAA

SAO PAULO -A court has ordered the arrest of a Polish priest suspected of sexually abusing a teenager in a Rio de Janeiro suburb and turning his parish home into what the judge described as an "erotic dungeon" for sex with adolescents, authorities said Friday.
State prosecutors have accused Marcin Michael Strachanowski, 44, of handcuffing the 16-year-old former altar boy to a bed three years ago in the parish house where the priest lived and threatening to kill the youth if he spoke of the abuse.
"I already know the flowers I will place on your coffin," Strachanowski warned, according to prosecutors.
The Polish priest was suspended from his duties after the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Rio de Janeiro learned of the order for his arrest, church spokesman Adionel Carlos da Cunha said in a statement issued Friday. The judge issued the order on Thursday.
The archdiocese "expresses its regret over what happened, especially with the people involved and possible victims," he said.
Judge Alexandre Abrahao Dias expressed concern that Strachanowski might try to flee the country.
He said investigators found "erotic material sent to the victim via Internet to seduce him" and that the priest also took other youths to the parish house, "which he converted into a kind of erotic dungeon where he submitted them, often with the use of handcuffs, to orgies."
Lawyers representing the priest did not immediately return a telephone message left Friday afternoon seeking comment.
Church officials declined to provide additional information about Strachanowski, such as how long he has been in Brazil or his work history with the church. Police said Friday they had not located him.
The priest also faces a canonical legal process by an ecclesiastical tribunal, da Cunha said. The tribunal has taken what da Cunha described as "the necessary measures" regarding Strachanowski's case — but the church spokesman did not elaborate.
Sex-abuse scandals involving the Roman Catholic Church have mushroomed around the world recently, and some of the accused priests have surfaced in Brazil, home to more Catholics than any other nation.
Late last month, prosecutors charged the Rev. Jose Afonso with abusing altar boys ranging in age from 12 to 16. Prosecutors said the alleged abuses took place in the city of Franca, in southeastern Sao Paulo state.
Also last month, 83-year-old Monsignor Luiz Marques Barbosa was detained in northeastern Brazil for allegedly abusing at least three boys after being caught on videotape having sex with a young man, a former altar boy. Barbosa is under house arrest while authorities investigate. Two other priests in the same archdiocese are also accused of abuses.
The National Conference of Brazilian Bishops recently announced it would prepare a manual with guidelines to help bishops prevent child-abuse cases.

Associated Press Writer Alan Clendenning in Sao Paulo contributed to this report.

http://www.aolnews.com/story/brazil-...1035575?cid=13

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ramadhan
05-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Ah, but the priest will go to paradise.
His belief in jesus as God who died to forgive his sins will certainly provide enough salvation for him.

/sarcasm mode off

Dagless
05-22-2010, 03:17 PM
I guess most people aren't made for celibacy. If there are also alter-girls why is it that they mostly molest boys? There should be some kind of study done because whenever you read about these cases 99.99% of the time its boys who get the short end of the stick.

format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ
Also last month, 83-year-old Monsignor Luiz Marques Barbosa was detained in northeastern Brazil for allegedly abusing at least three boys after being caught on videotape having sex with a young man, a former altar boy.
I don't know which shocks me more; that he did such an evil thing, that he can still even have sex, or the fact that he knew how to operate a video camera.

edit: Ok it seems that it wasn't his camera.

Pygoscelis
05-22-2010, 03:22 PM
Probably because its more taboo (mixing some homosexuality in there with the pedophilia). I don't think its at all suprising or mysterious that sexual repression leads to sexual perversion. Once you build a taboo that strong, something is going to snap.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
05-22-2010, 03:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless
I guess most people aren't made for celibacy. If there are also alter-girls why is it that they mostly molest boys? There should be some kind of study done because whenever you read about these cases 99.99% of the time its boys who get the short end of the stick.
There is a theory floating around in the medical community that these folks were perverts to begin with who wanted to find means to carry on their perversion undetected and maybe even admired at the same time.. but who knows..

I don't know which shocks me more; that he did such an evil thing, that he can still even have sex, or the fact that he knew how to operate a video camera.

edit: Ok it seems that it wasn't his camera.
lol.. no comment!

:w:

جوري
05-22-2010, 03:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
Ah, but the priest will go to paradise.
His belief in jesus as God who died to forgive his sins will certainly provide enough salvation for him.

/sarcasm mode off
how do you take sarcasm mode off? mine seems broken =(

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!