/* */

PDA

View Full Version : i found a butterfly

Ummu Sufyaan
05-22-2010, 05:26 AM
:sl:
i found a butterfly that looks like this:

i think (correct me if im wrong) its called a tiger butterfly...anyway i was wondering if it was possible to keep it? i would like to, however if i did keep it, i wouldn't know how to look after it, what to feed it, how big its house is meant to be etc.

so, would anyone have any idea on how to keep this creature maintained and looked after?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
05-22-2010, 05:30 AM
they like nectar do you have fruits and flowers in your garden?

:w:

shuraimfan4lyf
05-22-2010, 05:33 AM
:salamext:

Praise be to Allaah.

There is nothing wrong with keeping animals for which there is no Islamic prohibition on keeping them (such as dogs and pigs). There are reports in the Sunnah which indicate that some of the Sahaabah kept permissible animals for farming purposes or for fun and for pleasure.

It was narrated from Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) that he had a young brother who had a nughar (a small bird or nightingale). The bird died, and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) saw him looking sad and grieved, so he joked with him, and said to him words which implied approval of his keeping this bird. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to him, “O Abu Umayr, what happened to the nughayr?”

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told us that a woman entered Hell because of a cat “which she did not feed, neither did she let it eat from the vermin of the earth.” From this it may be understood that if she had fed it, she would have been saved from that threat.

And it was said that Abu Hurayrah was so called because of a cat (hirr, dim. hurayrah) which used to accompany him.

So keeping permissible animals, so long as you do not neglect them, is something which is permitted and it may even be one of the means of earning reward, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “In every living being there is reward.” But if you keep animals and neglect and abuse them, it may be one of the means that lead to sin and the threat of Hell, as in the hadeeth about the woman who neglected her cat until it died.

We would also like to point out that Islam preceded both western and eastern organizations in proclaiming the rights of women, animals, workers, employers and so on. Indeed, the greatest rights which it proclaimed are the rights of Allaah over His creation and the rights of people over Allaah.

We would also point out that care and concern for human beings should take precedence over the care of animals, and that the reward for that is greater. [The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:] “Ward off the Fire even with half a date [i.e., by giving half a date in charity]” and “I and the one who sponsors an orphan will be like these two in Paradise” – and he gestured with his index finger and the one next to it. And there are other similar ahaadeeth from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

On this basis, there is nothing wrong with your keeping fish as you mentioned in your question, so long as you take care of feeding them and avoiding anything that could cause their death. And Allaah knows best.

Abdul Wahid
05-22-2010, 05:35 AM
:wa: sister.

I wouldn't advise keeping a butterfly as a pet.

As the sister mentioned, they eat flower nectar. They also need water & other minerals.

Have you trapped the butterfly?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ummu Sufyaan
05-22-2010, 05:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ
they like nectar do you have fruits and flowers in your garden?

:w:
not at the moment, but i could get some. how much to they need of it per day? and do they eat not so fresh fruit?

As the sister mentioned, they eat flower nectar. They also need water & other minerals.
so they are considered as pests?

Trumble
05-22-2010, 08:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummu Sufyaan
i think (correct me if im wrong) its called a tiger butterfly...
It's a tortoiseshell I think... if you are European that's certainly what it is.

I would have thought the biggest drawback of butterflies as pets was their life expectancy, which is only a week or two. They only way to keep them would be as a colony in the insect equivalent of an aviary where they can breed and go through their whole life cycle and I think some exotic tropical types might even be sold for that purpose.

As to feeding them, I found THIS, which might help?

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-22-2010, 10:35 AM
Aslaamu Alaaykum. . .
I think Butterflies already get what they need , Allaah provides them with food, water etc. like the birds , bees, ants etc.
I personally think they need freedom, they like to fly about everywhere, i dont know if you can keep them as pets though, but if you do, you have to let it free etc. . . for example you are allowed to keep birds in cages, but they also need their freedom etc. . .Just my opinion forgive me ive said anything wrong!. . .

Wa Alaaykum Salaam

Woodrow
05-22-2010, 11:12 AM
Your butterfly is a member of a group commonly referred to as "Flitteries" I do not know the specific name for yours. They get their name from their habit of flittering near humans They are nearly impossible to keep in captivity. They need a large quantity of unpicked growing flowers for food and they can be very picky over the flowers each butterfly species is designed to feed off of only specific flower types. Enjoy them outside as a gift of nature. They can bring you months of pleasure flittering around outside, but will only live a day or 2 in a cage.

shaboo
05-22-2010, 11:21 AM
you need a very very large enclosure in order for the thing to survive

http://taqwa.me/results.php?query=butterfly+enclosure

Ummu Sufyaan
05-22-2010, 11:33 AM
i think its best to release it then inshallah.

Your butterfly is a member of a group commonly referred to as "Flitteries" I do not know the specific name for yours.
how can you tell :?

Woodrow
05-22-2010, 12:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummu Sufyaan
i think its best to release it then inshallah.

how can you tell :?
Varieties of them are common here also. although the colors vary among them, they all have the same wing shape and the same habit of holding their antennae up and curved towards their back, most other species hold their antennae straight forward. they all also have a habit of being in groups and seem to enjoy flying near people. They often chase each other around as if they are playing tag. Cute little critters and a a joy to have in your yard. They may not be the biggest or most colorful of butterflies but are definitely one of the most enjoyable to have near.

Flitteries are actually an unofficial subgroup of the species Hesperiidae all of which have similarities, but the flittery being distinguished by the way they hold their antennae and their flying habits.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!