Plane crashes in India, 160 people feared dead

By ASHOK SHARMA
, AP
posted: 8 MINUTES AGO
comments: 0

PRINT
|E-MAILMORE

Text SizeAAA

NEW DELHI -As many as 160 people were feared dead after an Air India plane arriving from Dubai crashed and burst into flames at dawn Saturday as it overshot a hilltop runway in southern India while trying to land in the rain.
Television images showed dense black smoke billowing from the Boeing 737-800 aircraft surrounded by flames just outside the Mangalore city airport in a hilly area with thick grass and trees.
Firefighters sprayed water on the plane as rescue workers struggled to find survivors. One firefighter ran up a hill with an injured child in his arms.
Air India official Jitender Bhargava the plane carried 160 passengers and six crew members. Officials in the state of Karnataka said only six or seven might have survived.
"This is a major calamity," Karnataka Home Minister V.S. Acharya told CNN-IBN TV.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh expressed condolences for the crash and promised compensation for the families of the victims.
As the plane tried to land about 6 a.m. Saturday, it overshot the runway and crashed, Bhargava told The Associated Press.
The crash could be the deadliest in India since the November 1996 midair collision between a Saudi airliner and a Kazakh cargo plane near New Delhi that killed 349 people.
Scores of villagers scrambled over the hilly terrain to reach the wreckage, and began aiding in the rescue operation.
Pre-monsoon rains over the past two days caused low visibility in the area, officials said.
The airport's location, on a plateau surrounded by hills, made it difficult for the firefighters to reach the scene Saturday, officials said. Aviation experts said Bajpe airport's "tabletop" runway, which ends in a valley, makes a bad crash inevitable if a plane overshoots it.
Mangalore airport is about 19 miles (30 kilometers) outside of Mangalore city

http://www.aolnews.com/story/plane-c...1076277?cid=12

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Güven
05-22-2010, 10:24 AM
Survivors tell of India plane crash horror that kills 159

Survivors have told of their escape from a plane that crashed and burst into flames, killing 159 passengers and crew in Mangalore, southern India.

By Dean Nelson in New Delhi, Andrew Alderson and Jalees Andrabi
Published: 10:58AM BST 22 May 2010

The Air India Express flight was landing an Mangalore airport when it careered out of control and skidded off the runway into a pond.

Eight of the 160 passengers and six crew initially survived even though the plane split into two and caught fire after it slid down a steep slope into dense vegetation. However, one of these survivors, a seven-year-old boy, later died in hospital.

The pilot, said to be highly experienced, was among the dead. He is believed to a be a British citizen of Serb origin who lived in Mangalore. He has been named as Captain Zlatko Glusica, aged 53.

There were 19 children among the passengers on the Boeing 737-800. Most of the youngsters perished in the crash which happened in wet weather.

One survivor, an Indian technician working in Dubai who gave his name only as Pradeep, told local television: “We had no hope to survive, but we survived. The plane broke into two and we jumped off the plane. As soon as the plane landed, within seconds this happened.”

Another survivor, Umer Farooq, told a local news channel from his hospital bed that he had heard a loud thud as the plane touched down. “Then the plane veered off toward some trees on the side and then the cabin filled with smoke. I got caught in some cables but managed to scramble out,” said Mr Farooq who had burns to his arms, legs, and face.

Local television showed footage of the crashed plane lying on its belly some distance off the runway with smoke billowing from the fuselage. It came to rest in dense vegetation The dramatic footage also showed rescue workers taking away a child from the crash site.

Firefighters sprayed foam on the plane as rescue workers battled to reach the site. However, the airport’s location, on a plateau surrounded by hills, made it difficult for the firefighters to reach the scene.

Other survivors also described their ordeal. One identified only as Manikutty, from Kerala, said: “There was no warning to passengers about any trouble and it appeared a smooth landing. Immediately on touching the ground the aircraft jerked and in a few moments hit a block, something like a building. The plane then went off the runway, slid into terrain which looked like a forest. Then the aircraft split in the middle and caught fire. I just jumped from the gap.”

Another survivor, known only as Abdulla, said: “There was tyre burst like noise. We tried to get out of the front but saw that there was a big fire. So I went back again and jumped out from a crack. The plane had broken into two. I jumped out of the plane after it crashed. I saw two other people also come out.”

Pradeep G Kotian, 28, said: "As soon as the plane touched the runway, it started vibrating and before we could realise what was happening, we heard a loud sound and the plane broke into two pieces. Then there was smoke and fire on the plane.

"Luckily, I saw the opening where the plane had split into two, and I jumped out of it. I could see three others who had also jumped out from the same opening."

Mayan Kutty, 48, said: "I consider myself really lucky. As soon as I jumped out of the plane, I spoke to my wife thinking she might be worried. But she was shocked to hear the news."

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office was urgently investigating this morning whether there were any Britons on board. However, it is believed that most, if not all, of the passengers were Indian nationals. The crew are thought to be of various nationalities.

This is the first major plane crash in India since 2000, when 61 people were killed after a passenger plane crashed into a residential area near the eastern city of Patna.

Karnataka Home Minister V.S. Acharya called for local people’s cooperation in what he called “this hour of crisis” and urged them to stay away from the crash site.

Anup Shrivasta, Air India personnel director, told a news conference in Mumbai. “As far as the information available with us is concerned, eight persons were rescued and shifted to local hospitals in Mangalore for their treatment. Air India is right now busy in confirming the casualties.

Prabhakar Sharma, the Deputy Commissioner of Mangalore, said: “Rescue operations are in full swing at the site and all government agencies are attending the situation.”

Superintendent Subramaneshwar Rao, of Mangalore police, said: “Chances [of finding more survivors ] are very bleak as most of the plane has been burnt out.” Another Mangalore police official said smoke from smoke from the crash site was making it difficult for rescue workers to gain access to the plane.

Manmohan Singh, India’s prime minister, expressed his condolences and promised compensation for the families of the victims.

Aviation experts said the airport’s “tabletop” runway, which ends in a valley, makes a bad crash inevitable if a plane overshoots it. The airport is about 19 miles outside Mangalore city.

The crash is the deadliest in India since the November 1996 midair collision between a Saudi airliner and a Kazakh cargo plane near New Delhi that killed 349 people.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...kills-159.html

subhanAllah, what's with all the plane crashes lately?

shuraimfan4lyf
05-22-2010, 11:05 AM
:salamext:

Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi ra'jioon..I was just reading that on BBC.

Brother When death can come anytime. Through any means. A person does not where and when he will die.

Everyone is going to taste death, and We shall make a trial of you with evil and with good, and to Us you will be returned. Sura al-Anbiya 21:35

How can you disbelieve in Allah? Seeing that you were dead and He gave you life. Then He will give you death, then again will bring you to life (on the Day of Resurrection) and then unto Him you will return.Sura Al-Baqara 2:28

And Allah has created you and then He will cause you to die, and of you there are some who are sent back to senility, so that they know nothing after having known (much). Truly! Allah is All-Knowing, All-Powerful. Sura An-Nahl 16:70

If there were muslims among them, may Allah forgive their sins and grant patience to their families.

Mohamed_Sadiq
05-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Subhanallah, these past months and years there are have been many incidents with airplanes, it could be signs of judgement day, Allah (swt) knows best.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
CosmicPathos
05-27-2010, 08:34 PM
I pray to Allah swt to give me and my family death, whenever it is written, in a manner which would help us attain Jannah. I pray that Allah swt has not written death for me or them in a plane crash. I will break down to pieces never to be joined together if something happens to any member of my family in some air crash.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!