/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hello, theres a few things i'd like cleared up

oxfam
05-22-2010, 07:13 AM
Firstly, I am not a muslim. I was raised catholic and now I am agnostic, closer to buddhism.

there are a few aspects is Islam that interest me and I hope some of you kind people can help me.

The first thing I'd like to know is the Islamic perspective of sin at birth. I know that Christianity states that babies are born sinful, and ASAIK Islam differs from this point of view, and believe that humans are pure at their time of birth. Is this true, if so can somebody provide a scripture on this idea.

Also, what is the average muslims view on marijuana.

Thanks for your time, and I apologize if this is in the wrong section of the forum or already been covered

thank you very much

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muslim Woman
05-22-2010, 08:22 AM
Salaam/Peace

format_quote Originally Posted by oxfam
,,, Christianity states that babies are born sinful, ......, what is the average muslims view on marijuana.

Welcome to the forum . Islam does not teach that babies are born sinful . Adam pbuh forgot the command of God Almighty ; later he / they asked for forgiveness and both Adam and Hawa pbut were forgiven.

Then Adam received from his Lord Words . And his Lord pardoned him (accepted his repentance). Verily, He is the One Who forgives (accepts repentance), the Most Merciful.

( سورة البقرة , Al-Baqara, Chapter #2, Verse #37)

So , human being are not guilty of for what the first human being did .

Alcohol , drugs i.e anything that is harmful for us and keeps us away from prayers are forbidden in Islam.

They ask you (O Muhammad SAW) concerning alcoholic drink and gambling. Say: "In them is a great sin, and (some) benefit for men, but the sin of them is greater than their benefit." And they ask you what they ought to spend. Say: "That which is beyond your needs." Thus Allah makes clear to you His Laws in order that you may give thought."

( سورة البقرة , Al-Baqara, Chapter #2, Verse #219)

Shaitan (Satan) wants only to excite enmity and hatred between you with intoxicants (alcoholic drinks) and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of Allah and from As-Salat (the prayer). So, will you not then abstain?

( سورة المائدة , Al-Maeda, Chapter #5, Verse #91)

Danah
05-22-2010, 08:30 AM
Firstly, I am not a muslim. I was raised catholic and now I am agnostic, closer to buddhism.

there are a few aspects is Islam that interest me and I hope some of you kind people can help me.

The first thing I'd like to know is the Islamic perspective of sin at birth. I know that Christianity states that babies are born sinful, and ASAIK Islam differs from this point of view, and believe that humans are pure at their time of birth. Is this true, if so can somebody provide a scripture on this idea.

Thanks for your time, and I apologize if this is in the wrong section of the forum or already been covered

thank you very much

First, Welcome to the forum, I wish you will have a beneficial stay here.

Second, as for your question about sin concept in Islam:

By Dr. Hammudah Abdulati
Professor and Islamic Lecturer—Syracuse University

One of the major troublesome areas of human existence is the problem of sin or evil in the world. It is commonly believed that sin started with Adam and Eve during their life in the Garden of Eden. That event led to the Fall and has ever since branded the human race with guilt, stigma, and bewilderment.

Islam has taken a unique position on the whole issue, a position which is not shared by any other religion we know. The Qur'an states that Adam and Eve were directed by God to reside in the Garden of Eden and enjoy its produce as they pleased, assured of bountiful supplies and comfort. But they were warned not to approach a particular tree so that they would not run into harm and injustice. Then Satan intrigued them to temptation and caused them to lose their joyful state. They were expelled from the Garden and brought down to earth to live, die, and be taken out again at last for the Final Judgment. Having realized what they had done, they felt shame, guilt, and remorse. They prayed for God's mercy and were forgiven (Al-Baqarah 2:35-38; Al-A`raf 7:19-25; Ta-Ha 20:117-123).

This symbolic event is significantly revealing. It tells that the human being is imperfect and ever wanting even if he were to live in paradise. But committing a sin or making a mistake, as Adam and Eve did, does not necessarily deaden the human heart, prevent spiritual reform, or stop moral growth. On the contrary, the human being has enough sensibility to recognize his sins and shortcomings. More importantly, he is capable of knowing where to turn and to whom he should turn for guidance. Much more important is the fact that God is ever prepared to respond to the sincere calls of those who seek His aid. He is so Gracious and Compassionate that His forgiveness is encompassing and His mercy all–inclusive (Al-A`raf 7:156). One last revealing reading of the event is that discrimination on the basis of sex, and hereditary guilt or sin are alien to the spirit of Islam.

The idea of original sin or hereditary criminality has no room in the teachings of Islam. Man, according to the Qur'an (Ar-Rum 30:30):

[So set thy purpose (O Muhammad) for religion as a man by nature upright - the nature (framed) of Allah, in which He hath created man. There is no altering (the laws of) Allah's creation. That is the right religion, but most men know not]

and to the Prophet's Sunnah, is born in a natural state of purity or fitrah, that is, Islam or submission to the will and law of God. Whatever becomes of man after birth is the result of external influence and intruding factors.

To put the matter in terms of modern thought, human nature is malleable; it is the socialization process, particularly the home environment, that is crucial. It plays a decisive role in the formation of human personality and the development of moral character. This does not deny to the individual the freedom of choice or exempt him from responsibility. Rather, it is a relief from that heavy burden of hereditary criminality or instinctual sin.

However, imperfection and fallibility are not the equivalent of sin or synonymous with criminality — at least not in Islam. If man is imperfect he is not left helpless or deserted by God to fall victim to his shortcomings. He is empowered by revelations, supported by reason, fortified by the freedom of choice, and guided by various social and psychological dispositions to seek and achieve relative perfection. The constant gravitation between the forces of good and evil is the struggle of life. It gives man something to look forward to, ideals to seek, work to do, and roles to play. It makes his life interesting and meaningful, not monotonous and stagnant. On the other hand, it pleases God to see His servants in a state of spiritual and moral victory.
According to the moral scale of Islam, it is not a sin that man is imperfect or fallible. This is part of his nature as a finite limited creature. But it is a sin if he has the ways and means of relative perfection and chooses not to seek it. A sin is any act that (1) is deliberate, (2) defies the unequivocal law of God, (3) violates the right of God or the right of man, (4) is harmful to the soul or body, and (5) is normally avoidable. These are the components of sin, which is not innate or hereditary. It is true, however, that man has the potential capacity of sin latent in him; but this is not greater than his capacity of piety and goodness. If he chooses to actualize the potential of sin instead of the potential of goodness, he will be adding a new external element to his pure nature. For this added external element man alone is responsible.

In Islam, there are major and minor sins as there are sins against God and sins against both God and man. All sins against God are forgivable if the sinner sincerely seeks forgiveness. Sins against men are forgivable only if the offended pardon the offender or if the proper compensations or punishments are applied.

In conclusion, sin is acquired not inborn, emergent not built-in, avoidable not inevitable. It is a deliberate conscious violation of the unequivocal law of God. If man does something that is truly caused by natural instincts or absolutely irresistible drives and uncontrollable urges, then such an act is not a sin in Islam. Otherwise, God's purpose will be pointless and man's responsibility will be in vain. God demands of man what lies within the human possibilities and reaches.
* Excerpted with some modification from the author's book Islam in Focus.

Read more: http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...#ixzz0oe29kRkN

Also, there is a hadeeth (saying by the prophet) stated that the human born un-sinned:

“Whoever performs Hajj and does not commit any obscenity [rafath] or commit any evil will go back (free of) sin as on the day his mother bore him.”

Hope that help.

Ramadhan
05-22-2010, 08:34 AM
A basic principle in Islamic justice is that no one bears the blame for another’s fault, hence the idea of Original Sin or hereditary criminality has no room in the teachings of Islam.
QS. 35:18
(interpretation of the meaning):
And no burdened soul can bear another's burden, and if one heavy laden crieth for (help with) his load, naught of it will be lifted even though he (unto whom he crieth) be of kin.

Man is born in a natural state of purity or fitrah according to the Qur'an and the prophet SAW:
QS. 30:30
So direct your face toward the religion, inclining to truth. [Adhere to] the fitrah of Allah upon which He has created [all] people. No change should there be in the creation of Allah . That is the correct religion, but most of the people do not know.

Sahih Bukhari Chapter No: 28
Hadith no: 46
Narrated: Abu Huraira
The Prophet said, "Whoever performs Hajj to this Kaba and does not approach his wife for sexual relations nor commit sins (while performing Hajj), he will come out as sinless as a new-born child, (just delivered by his mother)."

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
oxfam
05-22-2010, 08:43 AM
Thank you all for your answers! You helped me a lot.

I probably wont be a regular member unless I'm trying to get some clarification about Islam from muslims themselves.

You see, I live in Australia, a place where there is widespread protest about the building of Islamic schools, yet there are thousands of christian, catholic, jewish and even atheist school, the hypocrisy is sickening and It is nigh impossible to get accurate non-bias information regarding the muslim faith.

Thanks again everybody :shade:

oxfam
05-22-2010, 08:45 AM
Ooops. I meant to ask about the Islamic view of 'medicinal' marijuana, rather than smoking it recreationaly.

Ramadhan
05-22-2010, 09:41 AM
There seem to be differing opinions about medicinal marijuana.

Ruling on narcotic and intoxicating medicine
In the hospital we use medicine for post-operative pain and other kinds of pain that contain narcotic substances and other medicines that contain varying amounts of alcohol. Is there anything wrong with using them?.

Praise be to Allaah.

There is nothing wrong with medicines which give a patient relief and reduce his pain before and after surgery, unless it is known that they contain a substance which causes intoxication in large amounts, in which case they should not be used, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “Whatever causes intoxication in large amounts, a little of it is haraam.” But if it does not cause intoxication, or large amounts of it would not cause intoxication, but it brings some relief and eases the pain, then there is nothing wrong with it.

Majmoo’ Fataawa li’l-Shaykh Ibn Baaz, 6/18

Ruling on medicines that are mixed with alcohol
What is the ruling on medicines that contain a percentage of alcohol?.

Praise be to Allaah. It is not permissible to mix medicines with alcohol, because alcohol must be thrown away. It was narrated that Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri said: We had some wine belonging to an orphan, and when al-Maa’idah was revealed (i.e., the prohibition of khamr or alcohol), I asked the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) about it and I said, “It belongs to the orphan.” He said: “Pour it away.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 1263; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi. Secondly: If the medicine is mixed with alcohol, and the percentage of alcohol is so great that this medicine is intoxicating, then it is khamr and it is haraam to take it. If the percentage of alcohol is very low and it does not intoxicate, then it is permissible to take it. It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (22/110): It is not permissible to mix medicines with intoxicants, but if it is mixed with alcohol, if drinking a lot of it will cause intoxication, it is haraam to handle it and drink it, whether a small amount or a large amount. If drinking a lot of it will not cause intoxication, then it is permissible to handle it and drink it. End quote. Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said: With regard to some medicines that contain alcohol, if the effect of the alcohol in the medicine can be seen in the form of intoxication, then it is haraam, but if no effect is seen, and the alcohol is only added to it as a preservative, then there is nothing wrong with it, because the alcoholic content does not have any effect. End quote.

Liqaa’aat il-Baab il-Maftoohah, 3/231.

Muhammad
05-22-2010, 10:37 AM
Hello oxfam,

Welcome to the forum. It's good that you aim to seek clarification from the correct sources. :)

I've moved your thread to this section (Discover Islam) which is mainly for simple Q&A sort of threads. You can stop by here any time.

Peace.

P.S. Note that threads and posts made in this section require approval from moderators before they appear.

Woodrow
05-22-2010, 10:56 AM

thank you very much
Welcome to LI

You will find a number of us here are former Catholics. Like your self I also experienced a degree of agnostic ideation and at one point in my life I called myself Buddhist, although I was more agnostic. Glad to see you are choosing to learn about Islam from Muslims and not from the hate sites.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!