/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Can a mus7af (qur'an) be sold ?

marwen
05-26-2010, 06:00 PM
I saw people selling the mus7af in some book stores. While other islamic organizations prefer to print the qur'an and distribute free copies to the mosques and for every one who wants to have a copy.
In my opinion, I think the qur'an is not to be sold, it has to be given. But I don't know if there is a clear islamic recommandation on how to deliver qur'an ?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
05-26-2010, 06:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by marwen
I saw people selling the mus7af in some book stores. While other islamic organizations prefer to print the qur'an and distribute free copies to the mosques and for every one who wants to have a copy.
In my opinion, I think the qur'an is not to be sold, it has to be given. But I don't know if there is a clear islamic recommandation on how to deliver qur'an ?
Just my own opinion based only upon what I have seen in practice. I believe a Qur'an is to be given freely with no charge. But I do not think it would be wrong for a person to charge the actual costs such as copying, distributing, printing etc . Provided it is the true cost and no profit is added on.

marwen
05-26-2010, 06:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Just my own opinion based only upon what I have seen in practice. I believe a Qur'an is to be given freely with no charge. But I do not think it would be wrong for a person to charge the actual costs such as copying, distributing, printing etc . Provided it is the true cost and no profit is added on.
yeah I can agree with someone who just take money to help him manage the printing and distributing (or traveling) costs, if the person is poor or doesn't have enough money to do it by himself. But in general, IMO, I think it's not a good thing to make commercial jobs from selling mus7af just in order to make profit, we should do another job to get money.

shuraimfan4lyf
05-26-2010, 06:56 PM
Ruling on selling Mus-hafs
What is the ruling on selling Mus-hafs?

Praise be to Allaah.

Dealing in Mushafs is permissible because it is a kind of cooperating in good deeds, and it makes it easy for people to obtain Mushafs, to memorize or read Qur’aan, to convey the message and establish proof.

From Fataawaa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 13/47

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
marwen
05-26-2010, 07:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by shuraimfan4lyf
Ruling on selling Mus-hafs
What is the ruling on selling Mus-hafs?

Praise be to Allaah.

Dealing in Mushafs is permissible because it is a kind of cooperating in good deeds, and it makes it easy for people to obtain Mushafs, to memorize or read Qur’aan, to convey the message and establish proof.

From Fataawaa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 13/47
Ok, Jazak Allaho Khayran Akhi for this fatwa.

shuraimfan4lyf
05-26-2010, 07:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by marwen
Ok, Jazak Allaho Khayran Akhi for this fatwa.
Wa Iyyakum. I think it should be given free to Non-Muslims who are willing to read or not. But if a Muslim cannot afford it, then no doubt that it should be given to him without any expense. Imagine the Ajar you get for doing that. Wa salamu alaykum

aadil77
05-26-2010, 11:40 PM
look how beautiful our deen is, brothers will spend out their own pockets in the cause of Allah to distribute free islamic material, and then you hear stories of how a quran given to a person eventually leads them to islam

PouringRain
05-27-2010, 02:46 AM
I had someone give me a Qur'an once. In fact, all of the Islamic books I own were given to me.

I do need a new Qur'an, and I will probably buy one soon....

glo
05-27-2010, 06:37 AM
I must say I like the idea of Holy Scripture being given away without charge.

Woodrow
05-27-2010, 06:51 AM
Over the past 2 years I have lost count of the number of Qu'rans I have been sent to distribute among the Lakotah. It is in the hundreds and many came from totally unexpected sources and some even came anonymously. May Allaah(swt) bless those who sent them.

PouringRain
05-27-2010, 01:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I must say I like the idea of Holy Scripture being given away without charge.
Has anyone ever given you a Qur'an, Glo?

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Aslaamu Alaaykum. . .
I think the Noble Qur`aan should NOT be sold but thats just my onion and dont think that is important!
There was a time where some women were selling Qur`aan, and my Mother as like we already have the Qur`aan, the women got angry and cursed my Mother for not buying it, Seriously to Sell the Word of the Creator for such a price is WRONG!. . .

But if the Prophet Sallahu Alaayhi wa salam agreed with selling the Qur`aan and then neither do i, Indeed

Wa Alaaykum Salaam

aadil77
05-27-2010, 02:05 PM
^do you expect people to make and distribute them for free?

they need to be sold to cover the costs of materials, people working in factories, distribution, etc etc

if people give them for free then that is their sadaqa, but you can't expect them to be given out for free

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-27-2010, 05:02 PM
No bro, i was giving an example of someone who, when we dont buy the Quraan they curse you, thats not correct is it? I wasnt saying its wrong to sell it,although i have no proof regarding that either,and i agree with you on that, anyways i think you misunderstood me

So yeah
And Allaah knows best!

glo
05-27-2010, 05:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PouringRain
Has anyone ever given you a Qur'an, Glo?
No, but I have had recommendations for online versions.

Do you treat your Qu'ran with the kind of respect as a Muslim would do? (Unlike some Christians who walk around with a well-worn copy of the Bible in their pocket - would probably consider myself on of those ... )

aadil77
05-27-2010, 05:42 PM
www.Quran.com is great site to view the quran, if you don't have a hardcopy

ardianto
05-27-2010, 05:51 PM
There is no prohibition for selling Qur'an. You can find and buy Qur'an in many bookstores in my country.

There are many costs in producing Qur'an, and people who work in this production need money for their families.

format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim World 12
No bro, i was giving an example of someone who, when we dont buy the Quraan they curse you, thats not correct is it?
But selling like this is against sharia. Not Islamic, of course.

Trading is halal. But according to Ulama, Muslims are not allowed to force people buy their goods, and not allowed to curse people who don't buy their goods.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-27-2010, 06:03 PM
Yes Akhi. . .
Jazakallahu Khayr

PouringRain
05-27-2010, 08:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
No, but I have had recommendations for online versions.

Do you treat your Qu'ran with the kind of respect as a Muslim would do? (Unlike some Christians who walk around with a well-worn copy of the Bible in their pocket - would probably consider myself on of those ... )
Glo, you will get me in trouble here with this question. :D But I am an honest person, so I will answer it with all honesty, regardless of how people hate me afterwards.

I do not treat my qur'an with the same level of respect that a Muslim might. For example, I do not perform wudu before handling it. My Qur'an is still in pristine condition though. There are no marks on any of the pages, nor folds, nor anything else. The main reason I personally would like a new one is because I am not a fan of the translation in mine and I would like a better translation. A secondary reason that I am told that I should have a new one is because the one I have is distributed by and has a commentary by Shia. :nervous: It is a very nice hardcover Qur'an and I am grateful for it, regardless of the source.

My Bible is not so pristine. LOL I actually only own 2 Bibles: my first one I have had since I was 5 and used until I was 17, and my second one I have had since 17 until the present. In my Bible I highlight passages, write notes in pencil, etc.

If I read the Qur'an on-line, I prefer this one simply because it has three translations side by side, and I like to be able to get the fullest understanding. If I was to select a Qur'an with just one of those translations, I would choose the first.

shuraimfan4lyf
05-27-2010, 08:49 PM
Who is the interpreter of the Quran you have?? The Muhsin Khan and Pickthall translations are really good mashaAllah, although the meaning can only be understood fully in Arabic. I suggest you not to read commentaries that are made by Shias.

PouringRain
05-27-2010, 09:09 PM
Who is the interpreter of the Quran you have?? The Muhsin Khan and Pickthall translations are really good mashaAllah, although the meaning can only be understood fully in Arabic. I suggest you not to read commentaries that are made by Shias.
I linked the version I have in my post if you want to see who it is. Click where it says "hardcover Qur'an" in my previous post. :)

Ramadhan
05-28-2010, 04:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by PouringRain
If I read the Qur'an on-line, I prefer this one simply because it has three translations side by side, and I like to be able to get the fullest understanding. If I was to select a Qur'an with just one of those translations, I would choose the first.
You may want to try http://quran.com/ because it has six different english translations and a tafseer.

ardianto
05-28-2010, 04:20 AM
Who is the interpreter of the Quran you have??
Indonesian Ministry of Religion. In Indonesian language, of course.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!