/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A good mattress and a bloody decent pillow

جوري
05-28-2010, 05:07 AM
:sl:

I think this is purely subjective but would really like people's opinion on what sort of mattresses and pillows they find suitable..

I get horrible migraines which travels down my neck and shoulders..

I have juggled with a few pillows over the years most of them costing me a fortune and I have currently made a pillow out of an old summer down comforter. it still gets lumps in it but is the most comfortable so far, not sure how much longer I can keep it because it becomes ridiculous and un-pillow like with my restless sleep..

I have tried the whole 'memory foam' thing, I don't recommend it to anyone, unless you enjoy sleeping on a rock.. I have tried this cervical traction neck pillow, they are as awful as the memory foam

but I'll say this, it is good for studying since it is as stiff as a corpse lol..

I tried the cheap non-feather stuff and I think that is just plain awful, after one wash it was like three separate watermelons in a bag..

I dread going to sleep sometimes.. I don't want to be wasteful but I want to do away with all my pillows and start over.. so go ahead recommend away..

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
shuraimfan4lyf
05-28-2010, 05:17 AM
:salamext: Make sure you read the ad3iyah for sleep. Here is an article I found on different types of sleepers.
Getting enough sleep is important, but it can be difficult without the right bedding. If you can determine your sleep style, choosing a pillow will be simple. The following tips should help you find the best pillows for every kind of sleep.
The Best Pillows:

1. For back sleepers: It's important for a back sleeper to find a pillow that will support the head, neck and shoulder area firmly but also provide softer areas for comfort. A good suggestion for back sleepers is wedge pillows. These pillows help support the natural curve of the spine. For the head, any pillow that has firm ends and a softer middle section will work perfectly.

2. For side sleepers: To avoid neck pain, it's important for side sleepers to provide support between the shoulder and neck area. Contoured, memory foam pillows or gusseted pillows are best for side sleepers. The mid section of contoured pillows allows your head to rest naturally. Many side sleepers also choose to use body pillows as well for additional comfort and support.

3. For stomach sleepers: A large, bulky pillow should be avoided if you sleep on your stomach. Thinner, supportive pillows will keep your neck and head from rising up too high. Pillows with tapered sides are an excellent option for stomach sleepers. Consider a medium firmness level for the greatest comfort level.

4.For pain relief: Many people suffer from existing neck, shoulder and head pain. Therapeutic pillows can help heal and comfort these areas while you sleep. Memory foam, gel and chambered down pillows are often used for therapy.

5.To relieve snoring: There are special pillows to help elevate the head in order to combat snoring. If a pillow raises your chin away from your chest, it will dramatically reduce your snoring.

6.For allergy sufferers: Consider gel, synthetic microfiber or memory foam pillows if you're prone to allergies. These pillows have pockets that allow air to travel through the pillow -- defending against the collection of dust and particles. The most popular hypoallergenic materials are polyester or down alternative. You can also purchase special pillowcases that help keep out unwanted dust mites.

http://www.overstock.com/guides/best...-kind-of-sleep

جوري
05-28-2010, 05:34 AM
well the first three were awful from my personal experience.. I am yet to try this gel one

but just from the look of it, I know it will be no better than the rest..

I think I'll try a Hungarian goose but a light fill.. anyone has an experience with those and is a migraine or neck pain sufferer?

Ummu Sufyaan
05-28-2010, 08:21 AM
just sleep on the floor?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
05-28-2010, 03:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummu Sufyaan
just sleep on the floor?
why don't I just sleep standing up in the closet?..... I need something cushhhhhhhy and soft and cradling .. still searchin'

aadil77
05-28-2010, 04:24 PM
why not put on some weight and make yourself 'cushhhhhhhy and soft' lol, this way you can sleep anywhere

or do some excersises to strengthen your back and sides

Mohamed_Sadiq
05-28-2010, 04:29 PM
Get ur self a sleeping pill,

Just kidding, why don't you excerice a lot during the day and then you feel very tired, that you can sleep for hundred years and you won't notice the pillows. I reccomend strict excerice, make sure ur legs are killing you when u excerice that you can't stand up any more.

shuraimfan4lyf
05-28-2010, 05:40 PM
Tempur pedic is really soft, its quite expensive though.

جوري
05-28-2010, 07:48 PM
^^ you have that? I am thinking of switching to pillowtop mattress and just a soft almost flat pillow.. I know everyone keeps saying hard is best, especially for painful backs etc. but from my experience they really exacerbate my symptoms .. I wake up with neck pain and headaches almost every day.. anyhow I have sent for new pillows insha'Allah they'll be nice.. I'll be donating my old ones so as to free my conscious from being wasteful with expensive items.. just not sure who'd want them..

shuraimfan4lyf
05-28-2010, 08:49 PM
No I dont, but I heard that its one of the best. :w:

جوري
05-28-2010, 08:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by shuraimfan4lyf
No I dont, but I heard that its one of the best. :w:
Believe me it is all marketing.. if I knew then what I know now :D I'd have been saved a fortune ...

Rabi Mansur
05-28-2010, 09:09 PM

This probably isn't what you are looking for, but when I lived in Japan, I slept on a futon and the pillows were more like this at times.

http://http://www.amazon.com/Organic.../dp/B0006HVVFK

I slept pretty good in those days. Here in the USA I have a lot of neck problems and wake up in the morning with a stiff neck all the time. I haven't found a good pillow but have wondered if I ought to go back to the Japanese way of sleeping.

Hope you find some relief.

:wa:

جوري
05-28-2010, 09:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by rabimansur

This probably isn't what you are looking for, but when I lived in Japan, I slept on a futon and the pillows were more like this at times.

http://http://www.amazon.com/Organic.../dp/B0006HVVFK

I slept pretty good in those days. Here in the USA I have a lot of neck problems and wake up in the morning with a stiff neck all the time. I haven't found a good pillow but have wondered if I ought to go back to the Japanese way of sleeping.

Hope you find some relief.

Jazaka Allah khyran akhi, and wish you relief as well, for some reason the link won't open.. I am very curious to know how the Japanese sleep..

in my mind I always thought they slept on a board like this

but you know what they show on TV and what is are probably at odds..

Rabi Mansur
05-28-2010, 09:59 PM

Jazaka Allah khyran akhi, and wish you relief as well, for some reason the link won't open.. I am very curious to know how the Japanese sleep..

in my mind I always thought they slept on a board like this
Most of the places I lived, people slept on the floor. The floor was a tatami mat. We would roll out a futon on the mat and it was kind of hard but not as hard as actually sleeping on a floor like in the USA. Tatami mats were firm but not rock hard like a floor.

With the padding from a futon on top of the mat, it was still firm but not too firm. The pillow I was trying to give you a link to was what they called an organic buckwheat pillow. I slept on a few like that over there and I did pretty good, but I don't know if that is the answer. It seems that a lot of it is just the way we are put together.

The biggest problem for my neck over there wasn't sleep, it was the doorways. I'm pretty tall and I always had to bend over to get through the doorways and also a lot of the ceilings were low.

Cabdullahi
05-28-2010, 10:24 PM
Brothers and sisters...I have the solution!.....there isnt a better place to sleep on than your grandmothers upper arm its the best pillow in the world everything else is hype

islamirama
05-28-2010, 11:23 PM
Buying the most expensive one isn't always the right solution. I bought a bed over $2500 that was state of the art and top of the line item. After month or two it was so bad for me that i couldn't sleep all night and when i'd wake up i would be hurting all over so bad as if being thrown over the cliff and i could hardly make it out of bed and walk 10 feet. Rather than paying thousands for those memory foam beds, i bought a 10 in memory foam from walmart for $250-300 and i've never slept better since than.

The best pillow that i have found most comfortable and I have are these ones
Foam pillow - http://www.drsnooze.com/catalog/imag...m%20Pillow.jpg
Hollander cluster pillow

جوري
05-28-2010, 11:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by rabimansur

Most of the places I lived, people slept on the floor. The floor was a tatami mat. We would roll out a futon on the mat and it was kind of hard but not as hard as actually sleeping on a floor like in the USA. Tatami mats were firm but not rock hard like a floor.

With the padding from a futon on top of the mat, it was still firm but not too firm. The pillow I was trying to give you a link to was what they called an organic buckwheat pillow. I slept on a few like that over there and I did pretty good, but I don't know if that is the answer. It seems that a lot of it is just the way we are put together.

The biggest problem for my neck over there wasn't sleep, it was the doorways. I'm pretty tall and I always had to bend over to get through the doorways and also a lot of the ceilings were low.

Yeah my dad had the same problem when he went to Japan a few years ago, he said everything was so boxed and expensive (I love Japan though) can't help but be jealous of the two of you for having been there..

I heard of buckwheat pillow.. I might give it a try insha'Allah.. but I have already sent out for two soft 'cured' Hungarian down ...

format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
Brothers and sisters...I have the solution!.....there isnt a better place to sleep on than your grandmothers upper arm its the best pillow in the world everything else is hype
I have no grandparents.. may Allah swt accept them in his paradise ...
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
Buying the most expensive one isn't always the right solution. I bought a bed over $2500 that was state of the art and top of the line item. After month or two it was so bad for me that i couldn't sleep all night and when i'd wake up i would be hurting all over so bad as if being thrown over the cliff and i could hardly make it out of bed and walk 10 feet. Rather than paying thousands for those memory foam beds, i bought a 10 in memory foam from walmart for $250-300 and i've never slept better since than.

The best pillow that i have found most comfortable and I have are these ones
Foam pillow - http://www.drsnooze.com/catalog/imag...m%20Pillow.jpg
Hollander cluster pillow

I agree that the most expensive isn't necessarily the best or the most comfortable.. in fact part of my guilt about getting new stuff is how much I spent on the old stuff searching for the one.. I might just get a mattress topper though per your recommend instead of a new pillow top bed..

Mohamed_Sadiq
05-28-2010, 11:38 PM
I will also reccomened this Somali pillow (you can get it online):
I have heard that its very comfertable...;D

or:

or:

جوري
05-28-2010, 11:41 PM
hmmmmm. where does the rest of the body go?

Mohamed_Sadiq
05-28-2010, 11:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ
hmmmmm. where does the rest of the body go?

Lool, I hαve no clue seriously, I hαve never used it. But i αm sure my grαndpαrent used to use it. Its α type heαd rest or pillow the Somαlis used to use it. i wαs told its very comfertαble. I cαn't wαit to try it.

Snowflake
05-28-2010, 11:47 PM
I know everyone keeps saying hard is best, especially for painful backs etc
Nah, that's absolute rubbish, and if I remember correctly recently that was proven not to be true. I wake up stiff as a plank if I sleep on a hard mattress. Women have curves and if you sleep on a hard mattress it won't support you properly hence why I think medium is best. Now for the pillows, I find it best to have 2-3 thin pillows better than one fat one because you can plump and flatten them at different points. That way they mould better to your neck and shoulders and offer better support.

If nothing works you can always try a hammock :P

Snowflake
05-28-2010, 11:51 PM
[QUOTE=Mohamed_Sadiq;1332187]I will also reccomened this Somali pillow (you can get it online):
I have heard that its very comfertable...;D

LOL they look like something they used to chop peoples' heads off on. The pharoahs had similar head rests but they were covered in soft padding. These just look painful.

جوري
05-28-2010, 11:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scents of Jannah
Nah, that's absolute rubbish, and if I remember correctly recently that was proven not to be true. I wake up stiff as a plank if I sleep on a hard mattress. Women have curves and if you sleep on a hard mattress it won't support you properly hence why I think medium is best. Now for the pillows, I find it best to have 2-3 thin pillows better than one fat one because you can plump and flatten them at different points. That way they mould better to your neck and shoulders and offer better support.

If nothing works you can always try a hammock :P
:haha: so true.. when I went on vacation in the old country everything there was so stiff, I wondered if they made the beds and pillows of palm leaves.. my mom kept boasting how it is the most therapeutic, it is the best.. I was in tears and so uncomfortable and people view you as some prima donna or something for desiring some comfort, one night I called the pharmacy up asked for a hot water bottle, filled it up, got a shawl, slept on a futon they had sent over from the U.S and it was the best sleep ever..
and you are absolutely right (or at least I hope), I can't wait until my new soft pillows arrive insha'Allah I ordered two, if they meet with expectations then I'll buy two more insha'Allah and get rid of the entire old four pillows.. then if they are to my liking I'll look into some comfortable mattress topper .. seems absurd to get rid of an entire mattress ...

Mohamed_Sadiq
05-28-2010, 11:55 PM
Lool, who knows it just might be what some people need. Probably u will have nightmares using that lool.

جوري
05-28-2010, 11:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mohamed_Sadiq
Lool, I hαve no clue seriously, I hαve never used it. But i αm sure my grαndpαrent used to use it. Its α type heαd rest or pillow the Somαlis used to use it. i wαs told its very comfertαble. I cαn't wαit to try it.
I think people say that thing to feign courage or something.. like when you are a kid and you are supposed to get a shot, and everyone tells you how incredibly painless it is, and then when it is your turn it hurts like a &^^%^&$%^$%$&^%& plus you are humiliated from having your clothes pulled off and you try to hold back the tears from welling up but you can't help it lest people think poorly of you.. ;D

Mohamed_Sadiq
05-29-2010, 12:01 AM
I think people say that thing to feign courage or something.. like when you are a kid and you are supposed to get a shot, and everyone tells you how incredibly painless it is, and then when it is your turn it hurts like a &^^%^&$%^$%$&^%& plus you are humiliated from having your clothes pulled off and you try to hold back the tears from welling up but you can't help it lest people think poorly of you.. ;D
Lool, I know wat u mean. But its also nice to experience something u never did. For example jumping of a plane, i can't wait to try that too.;D

Snowflake
05-29-2010, 12:15 AM
:haha: so true.. when I went on vacation in the old country everything there was so stiff, I wondered if they made the beds and pillows of palm leaves.. my mom kept boasting how it is the most therapeutic, it is the best.. I was in tears and so uncomfortable and people view you as some prima donna or something for desiring some comfort, one night I called the pharmacy up asked for a hot water bottle, filled it up, got a shawl, slept on a futon they had sent over from the U.S and it was the best sleep ever..
and you are absolutely right (or at least I hope), I can't wait until my new soft pillows arrive insha'Allah I ordered two, if they meet with expectations then I'll buy two more insha'Allah and get rid of the entire old four pillows.. then if they are to my liking I'll look into some comfortable mattress topper .. seems absurd to get rid of an entire mattress ...

LoL the hot water bottle was genius! I just had a strange vision of having an elastic hammock under the head lol. Then again you might get concussion with your head bouncing up and down all night lol. Back in Pakistan I too remember the pillows being hard as rock. They make your ears go numb LOL.

If you want a good mattress topper, I suggest a 2-3 layer of seating foam, or a couple of thick old duvets. The duvets are good. It feels like you're sleeping on a cloud lol.

shuraimfan4lyf
05-29-2010, 12:24 AM
Lol @ the somali pillow, looks like some sort of table to sit on hah...maybe you should try this, its called "gau takya" in urdu..usually old people use it. Personally I dont like it.

جوري
05-29-2010, 12:26 AM
might try this.. at least it isn't so expensive and people seem to like it given the ratings,

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...tml?rcmndsrc=2

but might look around some more

جوري
05-29-2010, 12:29 AM
Lol @ the somali pillow, looks like some sort of table to sit on hah...maybe you should try this, its called "gau takya" in urdu..usually old people use it. Personally I dont like it.

I have this on my chaise lounge.. it is a decorative piece.. can't imagine anyone sleeping on it...

islamirama
05-29-2010, 12:31 AM
tried feather pillows, didn't like it. they get squished together over time and become kinda hard plus the feathers start leaking out a bit or the end tales poke out now n than.

Mohamed_Sadiq
05-29-2010, 12:34 AM

Lool, it looks like the head rest of a car, intresting though i seen it in some hotels.

جوري
05-29-2010, 12:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
tried feather pillows, didn't like it. they get squished together over time and become kinda hard plus the feathers start leaking out a bit or the end tales poke out now n than.
there is an art to feathers (and I am quite familiar with it) after many trials and errors..and it is because of that I am sleeping on a pillow made of an old feather summer comforter.. they have to be cured, they must be down and Hungarian or Siberian is the best, they only use the upper portion of the feather so there is no spine and it is triple washed.. one of the reason I am giving alot of my old pillows up is because of that exact reason your describe.. people think they are getting a good deal when it is a cheap feather bed, but they end up getting duck feather or the spines that poke out.. also the cover itself the tighter the thread counter the less chance of leakage so 800 thread count is far better than a 200 thread count.. etc..

shuraimfan4lyf
05-29-2010, 12:36 AM
Lool, it looks like the head rest of a car, intresting though i seen it in some hotels.
Never seen such head rest in a car..are you talking about a car or a lorry? :p

Mohamed_Sadiq
05-29-2010, 12:39 AM
Why don't you try waterbed? Its extremely dreamy and u will feel like ur in the ocean.;D

Mohamed_Sadiq
05-29-2010, 12:42 AM
Never seen such head rest in a car..are you talking about a car or a lorry? :p
No i seen it in a indian rickshaw :p

جوري
05-29-2010, 12:45 AM
Why don't you try waterbed? Its extremely dreamy and u will feel like ur in the ocean.;D
what happens when you poke it by accident.. sleep number bed follows the same idea but with air instead of water.. those things are mad expensive anywhoooooo

shuraimfan4lyf
05-29-2010, 12:51 AM
No i seen it in a indian rickshaw :p
Okayyy <_< I know what you talking about now.

what happens when you poke it by accident.. sleep number bed follows the same idea but with air instead of water.. those things are mad expensive anywhoooooo
Probably you will wake up in a pool if it gets poked accidently..

Mohamed_Sadiq
05-29-2010, 12:51 AM
Yeh, they are extremely expensive but its wonderful. I think they are properly secured so they are unlikely to leak.

Lool there is funny prank on waterbeds watch this:
warning: hint of music
[edit}

جوري
05-29-2010, 01:02 AM
^^ lol.. reminds me of a similar incident that happened to me in the old country.. you should never try furniture overseas.. the woman told me it was just for 'show' I thought that was absurd, even though I was the party injured they seemed so angry that I had exposed them, the whole dam n bed came apart when I sat on it and I had a great fall..they give the term look but don't touch a whole new dimension..

Mohamed_Sadiq
05-29-2010, 01:04 AM
^^ lol.. reminds me of a similar incident that happened to me in the old country.. you should never try furniture overseas.. the woman told me it was just for 'show' I thought that was absurd, even though I was the party injured they seemed so angry that I had exposed them, the whole dam n bed came apart when I sat on it and I had a great fall..they give the term look but don't touch a whole new dimension..
Lool, i bet ur facial expression after ur fall was priceless ;D

جوري
05-29-2010, 01:15 AM
Lool, i bet ur facial expression after ur fall was priceless ;D
It actually took my a while to register what had happened, I thought they were coming toward me to save me and beg me not to file a law suit but instead they were furious, the woman was like you shouldn't try the beds here, it is just for show, and she called these two guys over to collect the pieces apparently no one actually bothered put it together it was like blocks glued next to each other or something, and as my mom helped me up and we walked away astonished they were talking about me badly... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Mohamed_Sadiq
05-29-2010, 01:18 AM
It actually took my a while to register what had happened, I thought they were coming toward me to save me and beg me not to file a law suit but instead they were furious, the woman was like you shouldn't try the beds here, it is just for show, and she called these two guys over to collect the pieces apparently no one actually bothered put it together it was like blocks glued next to each other or something, and as my mom helped me up and we walked away astonished they were talking about me badly... ;D ;D ;D ;D
;D ;D Good thing you did not get hurt badly.

Ummu Sufyaan
05-29-2010, 02:57 AM
why don't I just sleep standing up in the closet?..... I need something cushhhhhhhy and soft and cradling .. still searchin'

lol you dont have to directly sleep on the floor. put a few blankets as a mattress...you only need about 2 thick ones....in winter pure wool all the way should do the trick. in summer it may get a bit tricky though...

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-29-2010, 08:48 AM

3. For stomach sleepers: A large, bulky pillow should be avoided if you sleep on your stomach. Thinner, supportive pillows will keep your neck and head from rising up too high. Pillows with tapered sides are an excellent option for stomach sleepers. Consider a medium firmness level for the greatest comfort level.
You should avoid sleeping on the stomach as its harmful to you! Watch this indeeedy :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ApcN...eature=related

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!