/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The religion of Prophet Mohamed pbuh before he became prophet?

nousername
05-28-2010, 09:28 PM
Asaalam alaykum,

Before the Holy Qur'an was reveiled and Prophet Mohamed pbuh became the Prophet, did he recognize any formal religion? I know he always knew their was only One God, but is that all?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
05-28-2010, 09:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nousername
Asaalam alaykum,

Before the Holy Qur'an was reveiled and Prophet Mohamed pbuh became the Prophet, did he recognize any formal religion? I know he always knew their was only One God, but is that all?
So Much and yet so little is known of his early life. Sadly many of the early biographies about him were destroyed. It does seem Allaah(swt) has ensured that people would not make the error of begining to worship him as had happened to some of the other Prophets(PBUT),

It does seem probable he was monatheistic, but did not follow any of the Arab religions.

From the book "Muhammad: Seal of the Prophets" by Muhammad Zafrulla Khan

All the authorities agree in ascribing to the youth of Muhammad a modesty of deportment and purity of manners rare among the people of Mecca. He appears to have been specially safeguarded by divine grace. On one occasion, when he was engaged in his duty of tending sheep in company with a lad of Quraish, he asked him to look after his flock also, so that he could go into Mecca and divert himself there as other youths were wont to divert themselves by night. But no sooner had he reached the precincts of the city than a marriage feast engaged his attention, and he soon fell asleep. On another similar occasion he again fell asleep till morning on his way to the city. Thus he escaped temptation and sought no more after such diversions. It was quite in keeping with the character of Muhammad that he should have shrunk from the coarse and licentious practices of his youthful compatriots. Endowed with a refined mind and delicate taste, reserved and meditative, he lived much within himself, and the ponderings of his heart supplied occupation for leisure hours spent by others of a lower stamp in rude sports and profligacy. The fair character and honourable bearing of the unobtrusive youth won the approbation of his fellow citizens and by common consent he received the title Al-Amin, the Faithful.

Tiara B
06-09-2010, 01:40 PM
didn't he like, follow the path of iBRAHIM (alai)???

Woodrow
06-13-2010, 06:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tiara B
He did follow Ibrahim, but I doubt if it can be compared with any of the named religions in Arabia at that time. Just my opinion - he was Muslim and following Islam, before he was aware of what the proper name was.

We have to remember Muhammad(PBUH) was uneducated and illiterate. He would not have been able to leave any record of what he believed until the Qur'an was revealed. But we can be certain he loved Allaah(swt) and did worship Allaah(swt)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
aadil77
06-13-2010, 07:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tiara B
edit: misunderstood the question, yh I'm not sure if we have any sources stating this, I think he probably just followed his natural fitrah and guidence from Allah to worship the Him alone

Salahudeen
06-13-2010, 09:24 PM
You can find a good lecture on seerah that covers this. Anwar Al Awlaki has one, and Yasir Qadhi.

here is the Al Awlaki lecture on seerah.

http://www.alghurabaa.org/lectures/awlaki/

he goes back before muhammed (saw) was even born and how the region known as Makkah became populated.

Masuma
06-14-2010, 02:15 PM
Asalamu Alikum Wr Wb!

This is a very good question and I also started thinking about it. And yes, I think that Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w) followed his natural instincts (as brother adill77 says) which were always and always checked and guided by Allah!

I also read in book "the Sealed Nectar" by Safi-ur-Rahman Al-Mubarakpuri about the religions prevalent in Arabia before the advent of Islam. They are as follows:

1. Most of the Arabs were monotheist before the miserable ‘Amr bin Luhai, chief of Khuza’ah, introduced idolatry among them. So majority became polytheists. “People of pre-Islamic period, whilst believing in superstitions, still retained some of the Abrahamic traditions such as devotion to Al-Ka’bah, circumambulation, observance of pilgrimage, the stay at ‘Arafat and offering sacrifices. All these were observed despite some innovations that adulterated their sacredness.”

2. Judaism

3. Christianity

4. Magianism

5. Sabianism

6. Atheism and disbelief was also present, though not sure about it.

Now as we all know that Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w) didn’t follow any of the above stated religions, so I think that it is safer to conclude that he (s.a.w) followed his fitrah and only Allah knows best.

And brother Woodrow gives the right account from the book “that Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w) shunned superstitious practices ; kept himself aloof from drinking wine and eating the meat slaughtered on stone altars, or attending idolatrous festivals.” Nothing is mentioned whether he (s.a.w) followed Deen-e-Abrahim or more rightly that I don’t know about it. So I think we should leave this matter to Allah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!