/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Do you agree with this?

جوري
05-29-2010, 01:27 AM
I was looking for a youtube video on intubation through a tracheostoma .. tracheostoma involves suturing remaining tracheal edges to the skin above the sternal notch (these patients have no larynx it is removed surgically) when I happened upon this video of this poor unfortunate child..

I see many videos on youtube involving children and I think it is just wrong, least of which when it is of such a delicate nature...

do you think it is Ok for people to put videos up of regular healthy children or pediatric patients on youtube.. I think it is exploitative and I really wish they'd ban it.. I'd like to know your opinion..

also if anyone here speaks German can you translate what the two women were saying? why were they laughing like that? I can't imagine anything funny going on with this poor child in such bad shape..

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
glo
05-29-2010, 01:51 AM
The women (mother on the right and nurse on the left) seem to laugh in reference to what the man (doctor) says at 0:54 - but I cannot understand him because of the noises the child makes. I keep listening to it, but just cannot quite catch it. Perhaps somebody else can ... (I seem to hear the words 'bottle', but I am not sure)
The nurse comments (51/52) how difficult it was previously to fit the tube, and how much easier it is this time. The doctor replies to this. Although I cannot understand exactly what he says, from the further conversations it seems that he has explained (jokingly) the ease of the procedure this time with him being there.
It's also possible that they laugh in relation to something that happens outside the view - when one of the women audibly sighs a sigh of relief (58/59).

It seems clear though that everybody is really relieved that the tube slipped in so easily, and the laughter seems to be born out of that relief. There are some comments about how blue Felix had turned on previous occasions.

BTW, some of the comments below the video criticise that the adults seem to do little to calm the boy, and that the tube was not sterile (although somebody else comments that it only needs to be sterile in open wounds)

Woodrow
05-29-2010, 01:51 AM
My hearing is very poor and I am not catching all of the words, but what I am getting from it the cause for the laughter is because of a sound the child made at about second 48. Now as far as having these type films public. There can not be any possible need for them to be public. Legal? Probably. In bad taste? Definitely. Should they be on Youtube? XXXX NO.

Sawdah
05-29-2010, 01:53 AM
I find this disturbing to watch, and I didn't even finish watching it.
I don't find this appropriate to put up, the kid is scared and freaking out, who would put that up?

ASA.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
05-29-2010, 02:00 AM
yeah, I am not sure the purpose of exploiting children and believe me if it were an animated video it will work just as well..

the tube doesn't need to be sterile whoever wrote that is correct, I don't want to go through the entire surgical procedure but basically that area will act as a nose for this child, how difficult it must be for him, may Allah make his life easy for him.. but I hope these videos will go from simply 'in bad taste' to illegal.. is there a way to make them illegal, like if enough people complained? problem is, in most cases it is the parents themselves that are putting these videos up and they are painful to watch..

plus not everyone is empathetic or even sympathetic, there are sick people out there, really sick individuals, didn't you see what that soldier did to those two poor Iraqi kids.. it is just plain wrong, how much people push the envelope for these so called freedoms..

I was pained to see this child.. I just wanted to comfort him, and I was pained more to hear that laughter even if of relief it seemed to me belittling of an unfortunate situation.. I certainly hope the child doesn't grow up with feelings of handicap but not feelings of apathy toward his condition either!

glo
05-29-2010, 02:04 AM
I notice that the boy has what looks like a feeling tube into the stomach too.
Seems like he is a poorly little boy ...

Woodrow
05-29-2010, 02:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ
yeah, I am not sure the purpose of exploiting children and believe me if it were an animated video it will work just as well..

the tube doesn't need to be sterile whoever wrote that is correct, I don't want to go through the entire surgical procedure but basically that area will act as a nose for this child, how difficult it must be for him, may Allah make his life easy for him.. but I hope these videos will go from simply 'in bad taste' to illegal.. is there a way to make them illegal, like if enough people complained? problem is, in most cases it is the parents themselves that are putting these videos up and they are painful to watch..

plus not everyone is empathetic or even sympathetic, there are sick people out there, really sick individuals, didn't you see what that soldier did to those two poor Iraqi kids.. it is just plain wrong, how much people push the envelope for these so called freedoms..

I was pained to see this child.. I just wanted to comfort him, and I was pained more to hear that laughter even if of relief it seemed to me belittling of an unfortunate situation.. I certainly hope the child doesn't grow up with feelings of handicap but not feelings of apathy toward his condition either!

The legality issues to try try to make anything on youtube illegal is beyond complex. It is possible a country could ban youtube in their country by contriling the local ISP. But anybody with some spare time and a touch of computer knowledge could work around it. Now you might ask why can't somebody just go into the youtube offices and remove the offensive stuff. Fine except it is not like it is stored like physical stuff is stored. This is electonic impulses stored in cyberspace and channeled through servers and computers world wide. Think of youtube as a telephone switch board, you click on a link to see a video, that is like dialing a phone number. when you see the video it is that telephone number answering, except the phone has no actual physical address.

جوري
05-29-2010, 02:18 AM
does it say what he has?.. this procedure is usually done on cancer patients..

May God bless this child

جوري
05-29-2010, 02:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
The legality issues to try try to make anything on youtube illegal is beyond complex. It is possible a country could ban youtube in their country by contriling the local ISP. But anybody with some spare time and a touch of computer knowledge could work around it. Now you might ask why can't somebody just go into the youtube offices and remove the offensive stuff. Fine except it is not like it is stored like physical stuff is stored. This is electonic impulses stored in cyberspace and channeled through servers and computers world wide. Think of youtube as a telephone switch board, you click on a link to see a video, that is like dialing a phone number. when you see the video it is that telephone number answering, except the phone has no actual physical address.

:sl:

that is really unfortunate and very exploitative, the sad thing is I know there are far worse things on youtube than this..

I just want to hug this poor kid.. in one of the scenes you can really tell he is in need of comfort.. and now everyone knows his business and knows his face too =(

glo
05-29-2010, 02:32 AM
I've followed every possible link and comment, but I cannot find any hint of what exactly is wrong with him.

I wondered whether Felix had been born prematurely, and whether systems such as his breathing and digestive system had not developed as fully as they should have.
I am only thinking that because I work with adults with learning disabilities, and as the medical world is able to keep preemies alive younger and younger, many symptoms now in young adults seem to stem from their brains and bodies not having fully developed in the uterus. (Often sensory problems or problems with the digestive tract and swallowing. I am not sure about specific problems with breathing or the development of the trachea)

جوري
05-29-2010, 02:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I've followed every possible link and comment, but I cannot find any hint of what exactly is wrong with him.

I wondered whether Felix had been born prematurely, and whether systems such as his breathing and digestive system had not developed as fully as they should have.
I am only thinking that because I work with adults with learning disabilities, and as the medical world is able to keep preemies alive younger and younger, many symptoms now in young adults seem to stem from their brains and bodies not having fully developed in the uterus. (Often sensory problems or problems with the digestive tract and swallowing. I am not sure about specific problems with breathing or the development of the trachea)
quite possible.. I have seen his procedure once on an elderly male with squamous cancer of the larynx .. what an unfortunate thing for an adult let alone a child to handle.. not sure how old this child is is but he doesn't seem like he has failure to thrive which is good..

hope he does well..

thanks for the translation and for searching for more info. about him-- just as well nothing turns up.. I hope he has a normal happy life otherwise..

glo
05-29-2010, 02:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ
quite possible.. I have seen his procedure once on an elderly male with squamous cancer of the larynx .. what an unfortunate thing for an adult let alone a child to handle.. not sure how old this child is is but he doesn't seem like he has failure to thrive which is good..
Mt stepdad now has a tracheotomy. With him the reason is that he is unable to breathe without support (although they are trying to strengthen his lungs) He has COPD (after a life of asthma and smoking)

BTW, the child in the video is 16 months old.

hope he does well..
Once he gets used to the (relatively brief) discomfort of changing the tube, hopefully it will just become one of those things he learns to have to put up with.
Hopefully he will still have a good quality of life and grow up to be happy and content.

thanks for the translation and for searching for more info. about him-- just as well nothing turns up.. I hope he has a normal happy life otherwise..
No problem. Thanks for sharing the link. I am having one of those sleepless nights, so it was no trouble at all.
From a medical and human perspective (and aside from the issues raised in this thread) I am intrigued by this little boy. I wonder how he is doing now, a year on ...

Ummu Sufyaan
05-29-2010, 08:52 AM
:sl:
i dont understand German, but it doesn't sound like they are laughing at the child becuase when they did laugh, it didn't seem like it was reference to anything the kid did, or in this case didn't do...if they wanted to laugh at him, then why didn't they do so previously? they had all that time to...

جوري
05-29-2010, 02:30 PM
I never suggested they were laughing at him, I am suggesting that it is inappropriate to laugh at all in that setting..

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!