/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Need help!...somebody...ANYBODY! =(

Masuma
05-29-2010, 09:45 AM
Asalamu Alikum Wa Rehmatullahi Wa Barakatuh!

Please can anyone help me with this question? I want to know that why praying 5 times a day is just so important? Mustafa (s.a.w) and the Sahabas were not allowed to leave their prayers even on the battlefield! I know that they were allowed to shorten their prayers but still they HAD to offer it. So what exactly is Salah? What does a true believer do in Salah that Allah has made it so mandatory? If you say that the believer asks Allah’s help in Salah, so can’t the believer just ask it directly, I mean without offering Salah? Allah says in Quran that He doesn’t require any worship as the angels all the time celebrate His praise, so then for what purpose, Salah is there?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jazakumaullahu Khair! :cry:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Rabi Mansur
05-29-2010, 09:52 AM
:sl:

Good question. I'm probably the least qualified person to answer this one. But it seems to me it is so that we will draw closer to Allah (swt) and stay in the right frame of mind throughout the day. It is hard to do a lot of sinning when you are performing salat throughout the day.

He (swt) doesn't need to be worshiped. But we need it for our own spiritual development.

That is just my opinion.

And Allah (swt) knows best.

:wa:

Alpha Dude
05-29-2010, 09:55 AM
Wa alaykum salam,

Sister, we are slaves of Allah. The whole point of life is to worship him and show our servitude. Remember, this life is a test and temporary. The real objective is the hearafter.

tango92
05-29-2010, 10:05 AM
^yep. you will be rewarded for every rakah your pray, one nawafil salah is better than the whole world and everything in it.

once you realise this it will become easy for you to pray and youll enjoy it. and if you overcome difficult situations to pray it just makes it more satisfying.

also another function of salah is to keep you constantly aware of Allah cause your always thinking of prayer time, so it will stop you sinning.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Asiyah3
05-29-2010, 10:27 AM
Personally Salah helps me alot to follow my religion and stay away from sins. Moreover it makes the heart remember Allah SWT constantly and as rabimansur said stay on the right frame of mind..

If a person had a stream outside his door and he bathed in it five times a day, do you think he would have any filth left on him?" The people said, "No filth would remain on him whatsoever." The Prophet (peace be upon him) then said, "That is like the five daily prayers: Allah wipes away the sins by them." (Recorded by al-Bukhari and Muslim)

I thought to share this:

It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever offers a prayer in which he does not recite Umm al-Kitaab (i.e., al-Faatihah), it is defective” – and he said it three times. It was said to Abu Hurayrah, (What if) we are behind the imam? He said, Recite it to yourself, for I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say, “Allah said: I have divided prayer between Myself and My slave into two halves, and My slave shall have what he has asked for. When the slave says: Al-hamdu lillahi rabbi l-alamin (All the praises and thanks be to Allaah, the Lord of the ‘Aalameen (mankind, jinn and all that exists), Allah says: My slave has praised Me.

And when he says: Ar-Rahmaan ir-Raheem (The Most Gracious, the Most Merciful), Allah (mighty and sublime be He) says: My slave has extolled Me

and when he says: Maaliki yawm id-deen (The Only Owner (and the Only Ruling Judge) of the Day of Recompense (i.e. the Day of Resurrection)), Allah says: My slave has glorified Me - and on one occasion He said: My slave has submitted to My power.

And when he says: Iyyaaka na’budu wa iyyaaka nasta’een (You (Alone) we worship, and You (Alone) we ask for help (for each and everything)), He says: This is between Me and My slave, and My slave shall have what he is asking for.

And when he says: Ihdina’s-siraata’l- mustaqeem, siraat alladheena an’amta alayhim ghayril-maghdoobi alayhim wa la’ d-daalleen (Guide us to the Straight Way. The way of those on whom You have bestowed Your Grace, not (the way) of those who earned Your Anger, nor of those who went astray), He says: This is for My slave, and My slave shall have what he has asked for.”

(Narrated by Muslim)

Remember that by Allah's SWT mercy the number of prayers was reduced to five and whoever prays five prayers will receive the reward of fifty prayers.

Masuma
05-29-2010, 03:15 PM
Awwww…so cute brothers and sis! :cry:

Thank you all so much for your time! May ALLAH ease up your difficulties too!

Brilliant points mentioned up there; I mean an idle mind is of course a perfect place for Satan to home in.
And sister **muslimah**, I didn’t know this hadith before. It’s just…just so beautiful and touching! :cry: May Allah grant you Jannah for teaching me such a lovely hadith!

It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever offers a prayer in which he does not recite Umm al-Kitaab (i.e., al-Faatihah), it is defective” – and he said it three times. It was said to Abu Hurayrah, (What if) we are behind the imam? He said, Recite it to yourself, for I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say, “Allah said: I have divided prayer between Myself and My slave into two halves, and My slave shall have what he has asked for. When the slave says: Al-hamdu lillahi rabbi l-alamin (All the praises and thanks be to Allaah, the Lord of the ‘Aalameen (mankind, jinn and all that exists), Allah says: My slave has praised Me.

And when he says: Ar-Rahmaan ir-Raheem (The Most Gracious, the Most Merciful), Allah (mighty and sublime be He) says: My slave has extolled Me

and when he says: Maaliki yawm id-deen (The Only Owner (and the Only Ruling Judge) of the Day of Recompense (i.e. the Day of Resurrection)), Allah says: My slave has glorified Me - and on one occasion He said: My slave has submitted to My power.

And when he says: Iyyaaka na’budu wa iyyaaka nasta’een (You (Alone) we worship, and You (Alone) we ask for help (for each and everything)), He says: This is between Me and My slave, and My slave shall have what he is asking for.

And when he says: Ihdina’s-siraata’l- mustaqeem, siraat alladheena an’amta alayhim ghayril-maghdoobi alayhim wa la’ d-daalleen (Guide us to the Straight Way. The way of those on whom You have bestowed Your Grace, not (the way) of those who earned Your Anger, nor of those who went astray), He says: This is for My slave, and My slave shall have what he has asked for.”

(Narrated by Muslim)
Dear brothers and sister, can anyone of you please help me with one more question? I just keep thinking about it and with the amount of knowledge I possess, a satisfying answer is hard to come by. I want to know that why the Prophet (s.a.w) and the Sahabas were not exempted from offering prayer on the battlefield? I mean there must be something more to Salah than I understand otherwise they could have been exempted from it for one time at least? They HAD to offer it no matter what. So couldn’t they offer a “kaza namaz” latter?

Jazakamullahu Khair!

tango92
05-29-2010, 03:30 PM
hmm one thing i can think of:

praying namaz on the battlefield keeps your intentions pure. only a true believer would make namaz in war where he risks death, hence this makes his martyrdom genuine.
also it is the ultimate symbol of trust in Allah.

2. the time of our death has already been determined. knowing this you know praying on the battlefield makes no difference to wether you live or die. and if you do die that day you would love to have had that final namaz.

3. dont worry so much, your a sister. us bros should be asking this question if anyone.

Masuma
05-29-2010, 03:40 PM
^hehee!
But maybe now sisters can fight too as the war is no more limited to physical strength but now demands technical skills too. I mean if you have a gun, a lot of training etc, and courage, it'll make no difference whether you are a male or female. You just need to know how to use the gun and need quick planning skills.

But of course I wasn't worrying due to that! I think that I'll understand the importance of Salah more if I get answers to my questions.

cat eyes
05-29-2010, 03:53 PM
sis the way i see it is that Allah wants us to keep us busy in worship is because he wants us to keep away from doing major sins because Allah knows if the human mind is not occupied in

remembrance of him, we are bound to sin so in actual fact salah is good for us in so many ways. Allah certainly knows best and he knows what is good for us. Allah dose not care whether we worship

him or not. he dose not need humans to worship him, that is entirely up to us if we want to lead a good life and a healthy one. i suggest you look at some dr.zakir naik vids on youtube about salah. he

explains it much better mashallah. if you dont do your salah out of fear at least do it out of love.. this is why i do it but at the same time the fear motivates me to pray too. we need fear to motivate us

also.. this is the way we are.. we are humans and if our creator was extremely laid back on us and soft, lol we would not do anything for him, we would do so many sins hell we would probably even go astray. this is how we are created dear sis so inshallah i hope i have helped you some how but suggest you watched those vids on utube xxxx

Hamza Asadullah
05-29-2010, 03:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by An33za
Asalamu Alikum Wa Rehmatullahi Wa Barakatuh!

Please can anyone help me with this question? I want to know that why praying 5 times a day is just so important? Mustafa (s.a.w) and the Sahabas were not allowed to leave their prayers even on the battlefield! I know that they were allowed to shorten their prayers but still they HAD to offer it. So what exactly is Salah? What does a true believer do in Salah that Allah has made it so mandatory? If you say that the believer asks Allah’s help in Salah, so can’t the believer just ask it directly, I mean without offering Salah? Allah says in Quran that He doesn’t require any worship as the angels all the time celebrate His praise, so then for what purpose, Salah is there?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jazakumaullahu Khair! :cry:
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, jazakallah khayr for your question which i hope will benefit many of us.
Firstly my sister Allah created us as humans and not as animals or insects and on top of that he has given us the gift of imaan. This gift is more precious than we can EVER comprehend. He could have created us as kaafir but he has favoured us and out of billions of his creations he chose us and gave us imaan. Just for this favour we should never stop thanking him. But still how ungrateful are we? On top of giving us imaan look at the life style he has given us compared to most people in this world who have nothing but poverty. If only we lived a day in their shoes would we realise how lucky we are and how much we really have but we still complain. In addition to all of these favours he has given us health but look around you and see what debilitating diseases people have for if we were one day in their shoes we would appreciate our health so much and use our health to please Allah. Allah has also given us family for there are many who are orphans and those orphans have no parents or family to call their own. How fortunate are we yet we still are unthankful as Allah says many times in the Qur'an.

Allah has created us beings of free will. He is not forcing us to do anything it is completely our own choice. If we choose to devote 50-70 years of our life to Allah which is so short then he will give us ETERNITY of bliss. 70 years = eternity of bliss

Does that seem equal to you? Of course not. Not only has Allah given us everything that we can touch, feel, see and hear but he has given us imaan, health, wealth, family and just a short amount of our lives to worship him for ETERNITY of bliss. Now that is an offer that is too good to ignore. But if we choose to live this short life following our desires then we will have to suffer the consequances. Those who are obedient to Allah are better than the angels because the angels are created without free will. They are only created to do the jobs they are allocated and have not free will to decide to go against the commands of Allah but we have. If we choose to obey Allah then we are only doing it for ourselves for our own salvation from the eternal fire. Allah does not need our worship. Even if the whole of humanity was to stop worshipping him it would not take away ANYTHING from his magnificence. It is WE who need him and without him we are doomed. It is only by his mercy were we created and only by his mercy will we gain salvation and entry into Jannah.

Knowing all of this and the fact that Allah tells us the purpose of our creation and he tells us this clearly in the Qur'an that he has ONLY created us for one purpose and that is TO WORSHIP him. What is the best of all worship? Salaah! What is the first question we will be asked on the day of judgement? How was our Salaah. Therefore the main purpose of our creation is to pray Salah! For it is a test for mankind. Will mankind mould his life around Salaah and be punctual in prayer or will he be heedless and follow his our desires?

Therefore this is our biggest test and that is to pray 5 times a day everyday from puberty until death. It is Salaah that seperates disbelief from belief because Islam is not about just believing in our hearts but it is about implementing our beliefs and practising what is ordained upon us and there is no such thing is a Muslim by heart but there is only such a thing as a Muslim by practise. If our Salaah is right then everything will be right but if there is a discrepancy in our Salaah then surely we are doomed. Jannah comes with a price but it is such a small price to pay for devotion of just a mere 50 to 70 years of our lives for ETERNITY of Jannah!

Salaah is a meeting with Allah 5 times a day. Everytime we stand there for Salaah then Allah is watching us directly and we are in a meeting with him. When you go for a meeting then do you not focus on the one who you are meeting? Therefore before the meeting focus your mind that you will now meet with Allah directly face to face. Anyone who turns there face away from Allah whilst in prayer then Allah turns away from them. Therefore face Allah directly and everything you say in Salaah you are not saying it to yourself or the prayer mat but you are saying it to Allah! Therefore elt us focus and concentrate on what we are saying to Allah and imagine him in front of us listening to it because that is exactley what is happening in Salaah. We are making dua to Allah in Salaah and asking of him so ask of him with your heart and not just your tongue. When you ask someone of soemthing do you not concentrate on what you are asking? Why should Allah accept our dua when we are not even concentrating on what we are asking of him? Therefore we MUST concentrate on everything we ask of him and ask him with our heart and not just our tongue.

It would be best if we were to memorise exactley what we are praying in our Salaah so that we know exactley what we are saying to Allah. Here is a weblink which contains the translation of everything we recite in our Salaah:

http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/show...f-salat-(namaz)

We should feel shameful of ourselves that we have to drag ourselves to meet with Allah. Should we not be excited that we are going to meet with Allah 5 times a day? Why should this burden us when we know how much he has given us? Do we want to be of those who regret our lives forever? Or should we realise now and wake up to the fact that we must pray our Salaah with full concentration and be happy and exctied to meet with Allah and feel the peace and tranquility when we do so. If we continue to be heedless then we are the ones who will be the biggest losers in this world and the next when we will have to face Allah in shame and in a state or terror.

Now there are 1440 minutes in a day. If we were to calculate the number of minutes it would take us to pray 5 Salah in a day then you can calculate it as around 40 minutes in a day. Thats 40 minutes out of 1440 minutes in a day so thats just 3% of our day yet we still find it a burden? We still say "uff" when it comes to prayer and pray it like chickens pecking the floor like robots with no feelings or thoughts of Allah whilst praying it. We still drag ourselves to the prayer mat and we forget everything Allah has given us? Even if we were to count the favours of Allah for millions of years we would'nt even begin to realise what he has given us. Every ounce of energy and movement of every one of your limbs is down the the blessings of Allah let us think more and comtemplate what Allah has given us and wake up and realise that when death comes we will regret forever our lazy attitude that we had in this world but the worst thing is we would NEVER be able to do anything abut it Now is the time to change. Now is the time to realise the importance of Salah and now is the time to go towards Allah before death takes us and we would NEVER be able to please Allah and will die wasting the one chance we had!

So let us not be of the heedless and let us be of those who are punctual in Salaah and those who take pleasure in our Salaah. There were some sahaba who asked of Allah that can they continue to pray Salaah in Jannah because they loved the Salaah and knew the true value of it but we are not of those who know of its true value. When a sahaabi missed just ONE salaah at the masjid then people used to come to their house for around 2 weeks just for sympathy of the fact that they missed ONE Salaah with jamaat (congregation) and they used to offer their condolensces but here we are today missing one Salaah after the other and it does not affect us one little bit and this is because we are shackled by our sins and we will not realise the true value of Salaah until we have softened our hearts with sincere worship and repentance and gain as much knowledge as we can about Islam particularly about death, the grave and the hereafter. We should remember death as much as we can all of the time and realise how short our life is and the fact that it can end at any second and this will bring us back to reality.

May Allah give us the true value of Salaah in our hearts and give us the love of it and the desire to pray without it feeling like it is a burden on us and may Allah make us of those who desire to continue our Salaah in Jannah. Ameen

shuraimfan4lyf
05-29-2010, 04:12 PM
Salamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh..

The act of worship of Salat is indeed a great blessing for this Ummah. Allah Subhanahu wa ta'ala says in the 3rd verse of Sura al-Baqara

Who believe in the Ghaib and perform As-Salat (Iqamat-as-Salat), and spend out of what we have provided for them [i.e. give Zakat , spend on themselves, their parents, their children, their wives, etc., and also give charity to the poor and also in Allah's Cause - Jihad, etc.].

We need our lord for every second of our life, for every breath that we take, for every beat that our heart beats. He is not in need for our worship like someone mentioned above.

Do you not see that Allah has created the heavens and the earth with truth? If He will, He can remove you and bring (in your place) a new creation! Surat Ibrahim 14:19

O mankind! it is you who stand in need of Allah, but Allah is Rich (Free of all wants and needs), Worthy of all praise. Surat Fatir 35:15

If salat was only to be performed when we are in need of something, how would the Quran be recited and how would we communicate with our lord? Without salat, there is no real communication between us and our rabb.

Not all of them are alike; a party of the people of the Scripture stand for the right, they recite the Verses of Allah during the hours of the night, prostrating themselves in prayer. Surat Ale Imran 3:113

What is the Importance of Prayer ?

Praise be to Allaah.

The importance of the prayer in Islam cannot be understated. It is the first pillar of Islam that the Prophet (peace be upon him) mentioned after mentioning the testimony of faith, by which one becomes a Muslim. It was made obligatory upon all the prophets and for all peoples. Allah has declared its obligatory status under majestic circumstances. For example, when Allah spoke directly to Moses, He said,

"And I have chosen you, so listen to that which is inspired to you. Verily, I am Allah! There is none worthy of worship but I, so worship Me and offer prayer perfectly for My remembrance." [Taha 13-14]

Similarly, the prayers were made obligatory upon the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) during his ascension to heaven. Furthermore, when Allah praises the believers, such as in the beginning of surah al-Muminoon, one of the first descriptions He states is their adherence to the prayers.

Once a man asked the Prohpet (peace be upon him) about the most virtuous deed. The Prophet (peace be upon him) stated that the most virtuous deed is the prayer. The man asked again and again. The first three times, the Prophet (peace be upon him) again answered, "The prayer," then on the fourth occasion he stated, "Jihad in the way of Allah." [This is form a hadith recorded by Ahmad and ibn Hibban. According to al-Albani, the hadith is hasan. Muhammad Nasir al-Din al-Albani, Sahih al-Targheeb wa al-Tarheeb (Beirut: al-Maktab al-Islami, 1982), vol. 1, p. 150]

The importance of prayer is demonstrated in the many of the Prophet’s statement. For example, the Prophet (peace be upon him) said,

"The first matter that the slave will be brought to account for on the Day of Judgment is the prayer. If it is sound, then the rest of his deeds will be sound. And if it is bad, then the rest of his deeds will be bad." [Recorded by al-Tabarani. According to al-Albani, it is sahih. Al-Albani, Sahih al-Jami, vol.1, p. 503.

The importance of the prayers lies in the fact that no matter what actions one performs in his life, the msot important aspect is one’s relationship to Allah, that is, one’s faith (imaan), God-consciousness (taqwa), sincerity (ikhlas) and worship of Allah (`ibaadah). This relationship with Allah is both demonstrated and put into practice, as well as improved and increased, by the prayer. Therefore, if the prayers are sound and proper, the rest of the deeds will be sound and proper; and if the prayers are not sound and proper, then the rest of the deeds will not be sound and proper, as the Prophet (peace be upon him) himself stated.

In reality, the prayer is performed properly – with true remembrance of Allah and turning to Him for forgiveness – it will have a lasting effect on the person. After he finishes the prayer, his heart will be filled with the remembrance of Allah. He will be fearful as well as hopeful of Allah. After that experience, he will not want to move from that lofty position to one wherein he disobeys Allah. Allah has mentioned this aspect of the prayer when He has said,

"Verily, the prayer keeps one from the great sins and evil deeds" (al-Ankaboot 45). Nadwi has described this effect in the following eloquent way,

Its aim is to generate within the subliminal self of man such spiritual power, light of faith and awareness of God as can enable him to strive successfully against all kinds of evils and temptations and remain steadfast at times of trial and adversity and protect himself against the weakness of the flesh and the mischief of immoderate appetites. [Nadwi, p. 24]

The overall affect that the properly performed prayers should have upon humans is described in other verses in the Quran:

"Verily, man was created impatient, irritable when evil touches him and niggardly when good touches him. Except for those devoted to prayer those who remain constant in their prayers…" (al-Maarij 19-23).

As for the Hereafter, Allah’s forgiveness and pleasure is closely related to the prayers. The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said,

"Allah has obligated five prayers. Whoever excellently performs their ablutions, prays them in their proper times, completes their bows, prostrations and khushu` [Khushu` in the prayer is where the person’s heart is attuned to the prayer. This feeling in the heart is then reflected on the body. The person remains still and calm. His gaze is also lowered. Even his voice is affected by this feeling in the heart. For more details on this concept (as well as the difference between it and khudhu`), see Muhammad al-Shaayi, al-Furooq al-Laughawiyyah wa Atharahaa fi Tafseer al-Quran al-Kareem (Riyadh: Maktabah al-Ubaikaan, 1993), pp. 249-254.] has a promise from Allah that He will forgive him. And whoever does not do that has no promise from Allah. He may either forgive him or punish him." [Recorded by Malik, Ahmad, Abu Dawud, al-Nasa’I and others. According to al-Albani, it is sahih. Al-Albani, Sahih al-Jami, vol. 1, p. 616.] ]

The prayers are a type of purification for a human being. He turns and meets with his Lord five times a day. As alluded to above, this repeated standing in front of Allah should keep the person from performing sins during the day. Furthermore, it should also be a time of remorse and repentance, such that he earnestly asks Allah for forgiveness for those sins that he committed. In addition, the prayer in itself is a good deed that wipes away some of the evil deeds that he performed. These points can be noted in the following hadith of the Prophet (peace be upon him):

"If a person had a stream outside his door and he bathed in it five times a day, do you think he would have any filth left on him?" The people said, "No filth would remain on him whatsoever." The Prophet (peace be upon him) then said, "That is like the five daily prayers: Allah wipes away the sins by them." (Recorded by al-Bukhari and Muslim.)

In another hadith, the Prophet (peace be upon him) said,

"The five daily prayers and the Friday Prayer until the Friday prayer are expiation for what is between them." (Recorded by Muslim.)

Jamaal al-Din Zarabozo

Asiyah3
05-29-2010, 09:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by An33za
And sister **muslimah**, I didn’t know this hadith before. It’s just…just so beautiful and touching! :cry: May Allah grant you Jannah for teaching me such a lovely hadith!
Jazakamullahu Khair!
:sl:
Allahumma ameen. Wa iyyaki. I believe that a person with strong iman and knowledge can enjoy and benefit from worshiping his Lord the most. :)

Masuma
05-29-2010, 10:01 PM
Again Thank you all my beloved brothers and sisters for helping me out. Jazakamullahu Khair!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!