/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Man hasn't eaten for 70 years!

★ηαѕιнα★
05-30-2010, 11:36 AM
Salaam everyone,

Came across this article and was rather shocked. Wanted to share it with you guys.
What do you guys think of it?

Fasting fakir flummoxes physicians
By Rajeev Khanna
BBC correspondent in Ahmedabad

Doctors and experts are baffled by an Indian hermit who claims not to have eaten or drunk anything for several decades - but is still in perfect health.

Mr Prahlad Jani under surveillance in hospital Prahlad Jani, a holy man, or fakir, who is over 70 years old, has just spent 10 days under constant observation in Sterling Hospital, in the western Indian city of Ahmedabad.

During that time, he did not consume anything and "neither did he pass urine or stool", according to the hospital's deputy superintendent, Dr Dinesh Desai.

Yet he is in fine mental and physical fettle, say doctors.

Most people can live without food for several weeks, with the body drawing on its fat and protein stores. But the average human can survive for only three to four days without water.

Followers of Indian holy men and ascetics have often ascribed extraordinary powers to them, but such powers are seldom subject to scientific inspection.

Mouthwash
"A series of tests conducted on him show his body mechanism is that of a normal person," said Dr Desai.
Mr Jani spends most of his time in a cave near the Ambaji temple in Gujarat state.
He spent his 10 days in hospital in a specially prepared room, with a sealed-off toilet and constant video surveillance.

To help the doctors verify his claims, Mr Jani agreed to avoid bathing for his time in hospital.
The only fluid he was allowed was a small amount of water, to use as mouthwash.
One hundred millilitres of water were given to him, and then collected and measured in a beaker when he spat it out, to make sure none had been drunk.

Thank goddess
A statement from Ahmedabad's Association of Physicians says that despite no water entering his body, urine nonetheless appeared to form in his bladder - only to be re-absorbed by the bladder walls.

At the end of his confinement, doctors noted no deterioration in his condition, other than a slight drop in his weight. "I feel no need for food and water," says Mr Jani, who claims he was blessed by a goddess at the age of eight and has lived in caves ever since.

He grew up in Charod village in Mehsana district and wears the dress of a devotee of the goddess Ambaji - a red sari-like garment, nose ring, bangles and crimson flowers in the hair. He also wears the vermilion "tika" mark on his forehead, more often seen on married Hindu women. His followers call him "mataji" or goddess.

More tests
He says he has survived several decades without food or water because of a hole in his palate.
Drops of water filter through this hole, he says, sustaining him.
"He has never fallen ill and can continue to live like this," said Bhiku Prajapati, one of Mr Jani's many followers.

"A hole in the palate is an abnormal phenomenon," says Dr Desai.
His colleague, Dr Urman Dhruv, told the BBC a full medical report is being prepared on Mr Jani's 10 days under observation.

Doctors say they cannot verify his claim to have not eaten or drunk for decades - but by observing his feat under laboratory conditions, they hope to learn more about the human body.
It is likely that doctors will want to examine Mr Jani again in order to solve the medical mystery he has presented them with.

He has never fallen ill and can continue to live like this

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
tango92
05-30-2010, 11:52 AM
can you link to the source?

it is fake. the old man is probably selling his magic healing powers back in india and now has scientific "proof" of it.

Allah does not show karamat to every1, they are reserved for awliyah. so even if this man was a walking miracle he would not be showing it off.

Muslim Woman
05-30-2010, 11:52 AM
Salaam.

hard to beleive . Who wathced him all these years ? Now let's see , under dotcots' supervision , if he can live without water and food for at least next 70 days .

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-30-2010, 01:03 PM
Aslaamu Alaaykum . . .
I have read many situations regarding this topic, this stories are usually related with Hindus or Budhists. . .
I dont understand the reason they do it for, if they do it so people can praise them just for NOT eating for a couple of years or whatever i think thats wrong, as Brother Tango said he would not be showing off
Come on people, theres a purpous for why Allaah created awesome food so we can eat, i dont see whats soo beneficial about Not eating for years, if their goddess is soo holy, he should go ask her wh there is food! Anyways i think this has something to do with Yoga or Meditation or something, this guy i saw on tv along time ago, didnt eat or whatever due to meditating. . .I gues that can help you not to eat for some time Allahu Alam. . .They dont even Worship God, they associate soo many partners with him . .
May Allaah guide him and the lost ones. Ameen

Wa Alaaykum Salaam. . .

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
★ηαѕιнα★
05-30-2010, 01:26 PM
Yep here it is: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/3236118.stm

marwen
05-30-2010, 01:33 PM
guys ! how could you believe these stories ? !
to stay alive = growing up + doing activity = needs energy (calories) + cells regeneration = needs food.

I'm sure this old guy is hiding some sandwichs under the bed lol

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-30-2010, 01:56 PM
LOL yes, or behind his teeth :-\

M.A.S.H.
05-30-2010, 02:09 PM
This is simply impossible. Even if his body could recycle life's basic ingredients (which is impossible in its own way) this man would still be disolving simply by exhaling carbon dioxide. No food, no carbon to replace the one in the lungs, ergo the body disolves ... A simple breating test would do.

Supreme
05-30-2010, 02:19 PM
I've always dismissed Hinduism as false, but after reading this, I'm not so sure...

Asiyah3
05-30-2010, 03:00 PM
False until proven otherwise. I could have thought of it if he hadn't claimed to not have drunk anything. Without food possible, but water na'a.

Besides, I agree he wouldn't be showing off if he'd be truthful.

★ηαѕιнα★
05-30-2010, 03:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
I've always dismissed Hinduism as false, but after reading this, I'm not so sure...
Well dont you go doubting Islam now. Hiduism equals polytheism = HELLFIRE!
Theres loads of verses in the Quran about that, check Surah Ali Imran and Al Ma'idah for example.
Each chapter contains some verses of this sort which means Allah swt is more then clear about this.
Its the one sin He swt will not forgive.
In islam everything has to be done in modesty including fasting. As the Prophet PBUH said: the body has also a right over you!

★ηαѕιнα★
05-30-2010, 04:06 PM
The doctors also said they wanted to examen him to use the information on spacetravelling. To sustain people going to space.
I think he's scary really. Whats a palate by the way?

Dagless
05-30-2010, 04:10 PM
There must be someone in on it from the hospital.

happy
05-30-2010, 04:21 PM
joker i ndon't beleive anyway there is no proof.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!