/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A Level Philosophy & Ethics Course

anonymous
05-30-2010, 11:38 AM
:sl: everyone,

I have a couple of questions based on the A Level Philosophy & Ethics Course:

Q1) Has anyone actually studied this course?
Q2) What do you learn?
Q3) Does it put doubt in your religion?
Q4) Is it a waste of time?
Q5) Does anyone regret picking this option?
Q6) Is it based on your religion?

Jazaakumullah khair

:wa:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
anonymous
05-30-2010, 06:31 PM
Any help? :hmm:

czgibson
05-30-2010, 06:55 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
Any help? :hmm:
It's difficult to be sure which course you're talking about as you haven't mentioned which exam board operates it.

It could be the one described on this page. Or maybe it could cover the subjects listed on this page. Or this one.

That should give you an idea of what might be involved. If you can find out the exam board then you'll be able to know for sure what will be on the syllabus.

Peace

anonymous
05-30-2010, 07:09 PM
^ The Exam Board is AQA

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muhammad
05-30-2010, 07:18 PM
Assalaamu Alaykum,

I haven't done this course before, but in my personal opinion, you are better off doing a different one (though it may well depend on the intention behind your choice and other factors). If there is any possibility of harm from the course then you should avoid it and not take the risk. As Muslims, our understanding of life and Allaah (swt) stems from the pure 'aqeedah taught to us through divine revelation. Philosophy has no basis other than the words of mere people.

Have a read of what it says here: http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/88184/
And see whatever other advice you can find Insha'Allaah.

Btw, if you are interested, there is a detailed discussion about differences between 'aqeedah and philosophy in the following book (I don't think it's available online): http://kitaabun.com/shopping3/produc...=1696&osCsid=9

Also remember to perform Istikharah before making any decision.

Trumble
05-30-2010, 07:57 PM
As a Philosophy graduate I would suggest that you don't worry too much about what is actually taught. The whole point of the subject is not to impart particular philosophies or ethics but to develop the skills needed to understand such issues and present your own views on them as coherent arguments. Not only are those very transferable skills, but they are as relevant to theology and religious philosophy as to any other sort.

Hamza Asadullah
05-30-2010, 09:41 PM
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, you will find your answer here inshallah:

The ruling on studying Philosophy

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/88184

bluebell
05-31-2010, 08:48 PM
i knew someone whi studied philosphy, this person started to question their deen and started having alot of doubts, and ended up thinking he was too good for islam?

not to put you of though

anonymous
06-04-2010, 09:20 PM
Jazaakumulaahu khair for all the replies,
I have decided that I am better off picking another option just in case..

M..x
06-04-2010, 09:28 PM
eSalaam.
I done R.S at AS level and I remember covering a bit of Philosophy. To be honest, it just got boring and I preferred learning about Islam. Check out other sujects and choose wisely. Do something you enjoy and also a suject which will keep you interested. Cause when you loose interest, you'll loose focus and you're grades will show exactly that. However, don't dwell over it too much either. As you're likely to drop it when you go into A2. Best of luck

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!